Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
So as you guys have heard zOMG! will be no more.
I was reading the threads and found one that made me really want to let loose all my pent up frustration and just go to town on my keyboard *clack clack* [insert fat nerd picture]

Anyways my opinion dragged on so long that I felt after replying in that thread that the post itself deserved a thread of its own considering the length

If you don't like wall 'o' text then leave

Lady Primrose
Copy X MK-II
I was excited to see what they were going to fix. I haven't played zOMG in a long, long time, and I got the urge to--after they had taken it down, of course.

Now I'm excited to see what comes of this. I wonder how many people are going to leave? Will Gaia survive? What changes, if any, are they going to enact to make up for the portion of their user base and the GC-using users within said portion that are going to up and leave?

Only time will tell. :y

Between 40-60% of the people who said the only reason they stayed on Gaia for zOMG! will probably actually leave while the remainder will stay because either A. They are big drama queens who don't realize that they also stayed for their friends and/or trolling forums and other users who weren't friends OR B. They were talked into staying for the sake of aforementioned social contacts on the site (Their friends)

Their numbers on users will definitely drop however, that much IS true. Just by how much is the question. If they receive a large enough backlash that it causes a mass exodus of not only former zOMG! players to leave but community users in general to leave then it could be financially crippling to them in the end. Not a wise move overall. Reinvesting into the game and monetizing the system in a more efficient and appealing manner while adding more content steadily would have been a better bet. Yes, we get it, building and maintaining an MMO takes money. No one in the gaming community is retarded by a long shot. We tend to look in to how much money games cost. (Look at the disgrace of a game we call elder scrolls online.)

This is also hindsight but if any of you remember correctly an admin mentioned that there was only one person who was actively working on zOMG! (No longer in their employ) and that the most any of them knew how to do was reset servers but that was it (Aside from the person actively working on the game itself.)

The hindsight is: Why was there only 1 person actively working on the game to start with? This is a horrible model in every sense considering most companies employ several people to maintain things like this in the event that someone leaves or is fired. Yes we get it, money is the issue you say but this was a venture that Gaia Interactive pursued in the interest of making money and providing a lasting service with its members. Had there been an initial investment on their part to dedicate a small but still more than 1 person group to the task of working zOMG I don't think there would have been as many problems to start with and there would have been a more easily resolved solution later on down the road.

They blame infrastructure and engineering limitations but the reality is that they simply cut corners because they either couldn't afford the project to start with (Which I find hard to believe)
or because they simply wanted to make the most amount of money as quickly as possible while pushing a cheaply maintained game which would blow out eventually and they could still pocket our money.

I am drawing assumptions that they figured the game would blow over because of the poor care they took in handling it
However, this does not seem to be the case, and that is why they are receiving such a huge backlash.

Period

Sorry for long post I just had a lot to say sweatdrop

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
I really want people to weigh in on this post and their own opinions. After all, we are the community. 3nodding

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
I feel like offering a prize to whoever can come up with the best counter-argument to my post 3nodding

So wow and amaze me and you might win something awesome

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
i agree with your post
they should have had more people working on it
and i to think "They blame infrastructure and engineering limitations but the reality is that they simply cut corners because they either couldn't afford the project to start with (Which I find hard to believe)
or because they simply wanted to make the most amount of money as quickly as possible while pushing a cheaply maintained game which would blow out eventually and they could still pocket our money."

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
im sad now sad

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Artistz
i agree with your post
and i to think "They blame infrastructure and engineering limitations but the reality is that they simply cut corners because they either couldn't afford the project to start with (Which I find hard to believe)
or because they simply wanted to make the most amount of money as quickly as possible while pushing a cheaply maintained game which would blow out eventually and they could still pocket our money."

It wasn't simply a matter of their lack of staff though. It was how they handled maintenance, patches and updates as well as how they tried to monetize the game. We can whine all day about it going down but that is really thinking small. During the initial investment and creation of this MMO they should have known these things and taking action according to it. And when I mentioned the whole fact that they tried to monetize the game I don't mean that it was bad they did it. I mean that the way in which they implemented the system for it was abysmal and unappealing with marginal if any appreciation in value

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Well everyone knows my opinion on the subject lol
Everything being said about how they handled this aside I will miss zOMG! for its fond memories, friendships created and gameplay side. I enjoyed it. I won't hold my breath for a new mmo to come for this site like some people suggested might happen. I read a post about someone whining about everyone whining that zOMG! was going down and they mentioned that just because zOMG! is going down doesn't mean they aren't coming out with something new.

Face it, if they couldn't afford to maintain staff and fixes and maintenance on zOMG! what makes anyone in their right mind think that there will be another mmo. Creating one is more expensive than actually maintaining one depending on the audience and users. If they simply don't have the capital to invest in fixing the current game then the chances of them coming out with another one is pretty much nil.

I won't say that it is impossible but if I held my breath for something like that I would pass out from lack of oxygen first

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
Lady Primrose
Artistz
i agree with your post

It wasn't simply a matter of their lack of staff though. It was how they handled maintenance, patches and updates as well as how they tried to monetize the game. We can whine all day about it going down but that is really thinking small. During the initial investment and creation of this MMO they should have known these things and taking action according to it. And when I mentioned the whole fact that they tried to monetize the game I don't mean that it was bad they did it. I mean that they way in which they implemented the system for it was abysmal and unappealing with marginal if any appreciation in value

yeah your right, every time there was a glitch, they seemed unable to fix it at all, or made it worse somehow. i wish they had taken action sooner, i have a feeling they knew they were going to kill it off eventually.

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Artistz
Lady Primrose
Artistz
i agree with your post

It wasn't simply a matter of their lack of staff though. It was how they handled maintenance, patches and updates as well as how they tried to monetize the game. We can whine all day about it going down but that is really thinking small. During the initial investment and creation of this MMO they should have known these things and taking action according to it. And when I mentioned the whole fact that they tried to monetize the game I don't mean that it was bad they did it. I mean that they way in which they implemented the system for it was abysmal and unappealing with marginal if any appreciation in value

yeah your right, every time there was a glitch, they seemed unable to fix it at all, or made it worse somehow. i wish they had taken action sooner, i have a feeling they knew they were going to kill it off eventually.

The alternate reasoning behind maintaining a diverse staff being better than 1 person is that more people are able to catch the problem faster and take care of it easier because it is a group effort and everyone is working on trying to fix something. People help people and spot issues with coding. Problems with bugs. It was never a job for 1 person to start with. It is easy for 1 person to overlook something but not so easy for 4 or 5 people to overlook something. If those 4 or 5 people were working and somehow missed an issue then it came down to sheer bad luck or simple incompetence on the teams part.

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
Lady Primrose
Artistz
Lady Primrose
Artistz
i agree with your post

The alternate reasoning behind maintaining a diverse staff being better than 1 person is that more people are able to catch the problem faster and take care of it easier because it is a group effort and everyone is working on trying to fix something. People help people and spot issues with coding. Problems with bugs. It was never a job for 1 person to start with. It is easy for 1 person to overlook something but not so easy for 4 or 5 people to overlook something. If those 4 or 5 people were working and somehow missed an issue then it came down to sheer bad luck or simple incompetence on the teams part.

yeah that's true
it makes you wonder why they even made the game if they were only going to have 1 person looking over it?
there must be gaian's on here that know how to work around a game.
they could have hired people who knew games work for them to help
maybe they could have had a contest or something to get new people to work on it
Again, i think they knew they were going to kill it and that's sad because most gaian's loved zomg! even with all of its kinks

Angelic Bookworm

14,675 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Millionaire 200
quitting gaia because zomg is gone...

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Artistz
Lady Primrose
Artistz
Lady Primrose
Artistz
i agree with your post

yeah that's true
it makes you wonder why they even made the game if they were only going to have 1 person looking over it?
there must be gaian's on here that know how to work around a game.
they could have hired people who knew games work for them to help
maybe they could have had a contest or something to get new people to work on it
Again, i think they knew they were going to kill it and that's sad because most gaian's loved zomg! even with all of its kinks

Yeah I am just really disappointed in them at this point. I won't be raging over not having the game to play but to be honest I will probably leave again since I came back to start with to play zOMG! When I found out it was down for maintenance I was like "Meh let us see what happens, maybe they are making some better things for us" Guess not.
Poetic Owl
quitting gaia because zomg is gone...

Yep I hear a lot of collective doors being slammed as people walk out of their room because they are just sickened by this. I will probably be one of those people who tries to stay online for their friends but ultimately leaves because Gaia no longer offers anything actually fun
the same bs we got why monster galaxy died

Hallowed Slayer

23,315 Points
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Super Fan 250
Lady Primrose

i think half of gaia is quitting tonight
and i was just going to take a break until i saw this
i usually get on for months and get off for more months so i guess ill leave eventually too
my childhood ruined i guess
i guess we should have known and some people did know or felt it

Shy Receiver

11,200 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Hellraiser 500
Artistz
Lady Primrose

i think half of gaia is quitting tonight
and i was just going to take a break until i saw this
i usually get on for months and get off for more months so i guess ill leave eventually too
my childhood ruined i guess
i guess we should have known and some people did know or felt it

Yeah tbh I kind of feel like just logging for the night, or forever right now....
I'm really just staying on at this point to get peoples opinions and read all of the outcry

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff