Welcome to Gaia! ::

Borg

ryry Kenny_McCormick ryry

I guess I've made some sort of a social blunder. I'll shut up now.

My apologies.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts on the subject. Question regarding the disclaimer, I am studying BA Hons Business Administration and this is a very first draft of a piece of work for my course and it was felt that as I insisted on putting it public that it I stated that it was my views only and not that of the institution I am studying at smile and your thoughts and views have been really helpful!

During my recommendation I put together it was interesting to see how other MORPGs have succeed and interesting to see how platforms like Minecraft not only allow but also encourage users to put game play on Youtube, allowing the players to earn money via Youtube and Minecraft getting free advertising. Minecraft is a very integrated platform.

The thought that Gaia could allow an arena setting where its users can battle each other was interesting, monopolising on things like 'The Hunger Games' was a recommendation I put forward in my report.

All in all investment is needed and its a shame really as there is so much potential, I would personally suggest that if Gaia have tried and failed in the past, they should really be looking at the people who are employed within the company to what the overall vision of the company is.

Anyway, thanks for the replies its been very interesting.
Kyllorac
Um, what?

There's a few issues with this:

1) GC is only available through completing sponsored offers (some of them include watching videos) or spending actual money. GC cannot be earned by playing any of the games on Gaia. You're confusing it with Gaia Gold (GG, or just plain Gold).

Thanks for making me aware of what I had written. My main point was that I doubt that much income is made from the sale of Gaia Cash.

2) zOMG! and the other games mentioned in this are years old. zOMG! is the most recent of the games, and it was released back in 2008. This is not a "new start up".

Apologies, this was a first draft and it didn't read very well, my point was that as a new start up this would be an excellent platform, but as it isn't a new start up it would be expected to be more integrated by now.

3) Additionally, zOMG! has been neglected for years, by this point. The last major update to the game was made in 2011, with the introduction of Dead Man's Shadow, and there is no one currently assigned to zOMG! in any capacity. The number of servers available today is only a fraction of the number that used to be available, and a number of features, like the holiday events, have been lost as a result of this neglect.

Thanks, I looked into this further as apart of my work, my final findings were interesting

With that said, you might have better luck getting staff to see this if this gets moved to the Site Feedback forum. A more concise and relevant thread title wouldn't hurt, either.

My point was not to have staff see it, but more so that the people I had met during game play were not kept in the dark about the reasons I was playing

This is a very first draft of findings based only on game play and another month was spent researching other aspects of the company and points others raised on this thread. I did state that at the bottom of the post, that it was based only on game play and assumptions were made on that without looking at the company itself.

Shameless Shapeshifter

Ekecheiria
My point was not to have staff see it, but more so that the people I had met during game play were not kept in the dark about the reasons I was playing

This is a very first draft of findings based only on game play and another month was spent researching other aspects of the company and points others raised on this thread. I did state that at the bottom of the post, that it was based only on game play and assumptions were made on that without looking at the company itself.

That makes much more sense. I think this would have benefited from such a disclaimer at the start, explaining what it is you're doing. Presenting the findings without the context behind them made it appear that you intended staff to see this.

Vicious Prophet

SilkyNums
Myrielle
Kaniskion
SatansLittlePsycho
They tried it, it didn't make a profit, they moved on. Lucky that zOMG is even maintained now; its existence doesn't benefit them.

If zOMG! didn't benefit Gaia, they would've removed it with the same ease that they removed Moga and HOC. The fact is that people still play it and that outweighs the cost of maintaining it.
HoC is still around and playable. You can still earn 50k gold.
They still owe me a $4.50 refund for my Chaos Cash though. It's stuck there.

Yes. But they've hidden it. Which is as good as it not existing. Newcomers will never know of its existence and all the old members have pretty much abandoned the game as well.

The fact that Gaia has hidden it and not completely removed it shows how much Gaia hates HOC and this not a case of it consuming server space or whatever excuse apologists like to strum out all the time.

Remember when Gaia loved HoC?

As for z!, it isn't so much Gaia isn't listening to its users (although it certainly doesn't)- Most of people on Gaia just don't play zOMG. Most users are not asking for zOMG updates. We're a very small minority, albeit vocal.
Pan Twardowski
SilkyNums
Myrielle
Kaniskion
SatansLittlePsycho
They tried it, it didn't make a profit, they moved on. Lucky that zOMG is even maintained now; its existence doesn't benefit them.

If zOMG! didn't benefit Gaia, they would've removed it with the same ease that they removed Moga and HOC. The fact is that people still play it and that outweighs the cost of maintaining it.

Yes. But they've hidden it. Which is as good as it not existing. Newcomers will never know of its existence and all the old members have pretty much abandoned the game as well.

The fact that Gaia has hidden it and not completely removed it shows how much Gaia hates HOC and this not a case of it consuming server space or whatever excuse apologists like to strum out all the time.

As for z!, it isn't so much Gaia isn't listening to its users (although it certainly doesn't)- Most of people on Gaia just don't play zOMG. Most users are not asking for zOMG updates. We're a very small minority, albeit vocal.

Gaia treats its games like one night stands. rofl

Actually. If you visit the SF and GCD. You'll see people constantly wishing zOMG! was revived. Almost everyone's played zOMG! on this site at some point and many have loved it. The desire to have it back is still strong among the Gaia community! scream

Vicious Prophet

Felis Hircus
Pan Twardowski
SilkyNums
Myrielle
Kaniskion
SatansLittlePsycho

Actually. If you visit the SF and GCD. You'll see people constantly wishing zOMG! was revived. Almost everyone's played zOMG! on this site at some point and many have loved it. The desire to have it back is still strong among the Gaia community! scream

I haven't been in the GCD since z! came out, so I wouldn't know.
Pan Twardowski
Felis Hircus
Pan Twardowski
SilkyNums
Myrielle

There's a thread right now in the GCD where someone's asking for zOMG! to be revived. lol And you get a thread like that every now and then in the SF too. Also in threads where Gaians are asked what they want from Gaia. zOMG! is always the highest requested feature. pirate

Vicious Prophet

Felis Hircus
Pan Twardowski
Felis Hircus
Pan Twardowski
SilkyNums
Myrielle

There's a thread right now in the GCD where someone's asking for zOMG! to be revived. lol And you get a thread like that every now and then in the SF too. Also in threads where Gaians are asked what they want from Gaia. zOMG! is always the highest requested feature. pirate

Well s**t.
Pan Twardowski
Felis Hircus
Pan Twardowski
Felis Hircus
Pan Twardowski

Well s**t.

And that's the only hope I have for zOMG!. That so many people still want it. And that Gaia, eventually after being bloated from all the cash sales, will finally think. "Hey, you know guys. Weren't we supposed to be making a fun site all along? Maybe we should get to that"
Personally, and I did look in depth at this and other platforms, zOMG is a social platform already, so things like 'Towns' seems limited in its functions compared to zOMG. zOMG is Towns but with a better interface. It would be wise to integrate the two. It seems like the whole of Gaia Online is in beta and being tested by the company, however there is a lack of investment to bring all these beta projects together.

Overall the lack of consumer research is a big failure on the part of the company. The company must be profitable for it to be here after all, although it is not innovative. These forums for instance are very archaic in format, a lot of none money making individuals set up much more intuitive and modern formats.

In a business perspective there seems to be little direction on making the assets the company has lucrative. This could be due to bad decisions in the past or a bad management team now, I'm not sure.

My thinking is that if Gaia were to integrate its platforms into one, zOMG would be the foundation as its the most sophisticated platform they have. Every other platform seems somewhat dated or lacks intuitiveness or both.
Ekecheiria
Personally, and I did look in depth at this and other platforms, zOMG is a social platform already, so things like 'Towns' seems limited in its functions compared to zOMG. zOMG is Towns but with a better interface. It would be wise to integrate the two. It seems like the whole of Gaia Online is in beta and being tested by the company, however there is a lack of investment to bring all these beta projects together.

Overall the lack of consumer research is a big failure on the part of the company. The company must be profitable for it to be here after all, although it is not innovative. These forums for instance are very archaic in format, a lot of none money making individuals set up much more intuitive and modern formats.

In a business perspective there seems to be little direction on making the assets the company has lucrative. This could be due to bad decisions in the past or a bad management team now, I'm not sure.

My thinking is that if Gaia were to integrate its platforms into one, zOMG would be the foundation as its the most sophisticated platform they have. Every other platform seems somewhat dated or lacks intuitiveness or both.

Your analysis of Gaia's competence and performance is spot on. rofl

Although I don't agree that everything should've been integrated. While many people here like zOMG!, not everyone does. So forcing them to do so would be a bad idea. Especially since zOMG! only came out 4 or 5 years after Gaia opened? There were other mini games long before that that people enjoyed playing separately and would probably not enjoy having to do so through zOMG! zOMG! is already a huge fuss with the lag and time it takes to load, etc.

An integrated platform is best when done from the very beginning or through advance notice and slowly adapting the userbase to it. The latter is just way too difficult, especially for a company like Gaia.

Celestial Trickster

35,575 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Expert Converter 250
  • Super Converter 100
I dont think they ever listen. For me zOMG is very promising... its like u buy items in gaia so u will look good in zomg and vice versa. They just dont see it bcoz theyre looking at the shiny objects in ur wallet. Instant money vs accumulated ones.

Mega Hoarder

SatansLittlePsycho
Kaniskion
SatansLittlePsycho

If they could remove it without people bitching for months, they probably would.

they've made it pretty clear that they don't care what we think, so doubt that would stop them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff