Welcome to Gaia! ::

Perfect Saint

Kaniskion
SatansLittlePsycho
They tried it, it didn't make a profit, they moved on. Lucky that zOMG is even maintained now; its existence doesn't benefit them.

If zOMG! didn't benefit Gaia, they would've removed it with the same ease that they removed Moga and HOC. The fact is that people still play it and that outweighs the cost of maintaining it.
HoC is still around and playable. You can still earn 50k gold.
They still owe me a $4.50 refund for my Chaos Cash though. It's stuck there.

Generous Rogue

10,900 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
SatansLittlePsycho
.... Lucky that zOMG is even maintained now; its existence doesn't benefit them.

Pretty much. I'm sure it's been said a zillion times, but there just wasn't any money to keep the devs on.... Also, I read a thread recently that said something to the effect that the code for ZOMG is so extensive that if any new devs tried to change it, the game would more or less break completely.
Myrielle
Kaniskion
SatansLittlePsycho
They tried it, it didn't make a profit, they moved on. Lucky that zOMG is even maintained now; its existence doesn't benefit them.

If zOMG! didn't benefit Gaia, they would've removed it with the same ease that they removed Moga and HOC. The fact is that people still play it and that outweighs the cost of maintaining it.
HoC is still around and playable. You can still earn 50k gold.
They still owe me a $4.50 refund for my Chaos Cash though. It's stuck there.

Yes. But they've hidden it. Which is as good as it not existing. Newcomers will never know of its existence and all the old members have pretty much abandoned the game as well.

The fact that Gaia has hidden it and not completely removed it shows how much Gaia hates HOC and this not a case of it consuming server space or whatever excuse apologists like to strum out all the time.
raggedy grrl
Kaniskion
They did find an IM after meebo was taken out, but they decided not to implement it as it wouldn't make them any money. I was flat out told by a dev that Gaia didn't see any need for a social chat on a social site. Again. Just shows how counter intuitive Gaia's thinking process is which is why they've fallen so low. emotion_facepalm

Ouch.

Kaniskion
And yes. Gaia is only thinking about short term profits in favor of long term existence. It's sad. But this is a company that's lost a lot of money and now they just want to gorge on as much of it as possible. No matter how damaging it is. sweatdrop

// Hmm...sorry for the "cheerful" reply...

I never implied Lanzer started out every morning of his with a quick dive into his pool of solid gold coins. blaugh Which is why I started out by saying they lost a lot of money and they're trying to make it back. That I have no problem with. The way they're going about doing that is what I do have a problem with as it's making them lose a lot of goodwill and will only hurt them immensely in the long run.

I used the term gorge because Gaia isn't taking any pause to think about how they are trying to make that money. "Does it hurt the site?" "Is it what the users want?" "Is it too frequent that it will lose importance?" "Should we reinvest the money we're making back into the site as features, events?" none of these questions ever crosses Gaia's mind now. They're like a giant gaping maw that only wishes to feed on anything and everything that is thrown into it's vacuous orifice. It Doesn't matter how, or from where or what! That indeed concerns me and others as it is often all too common a tactic used by companies before they shut down shop. Of course. I don't think that might be the case as they are working on another site so they might actually be looking to milk this site before selling it off to someone else. wink

I would take Gaia's counters with a grain of salt. It has always been 4 figures since the active destruction of this site was set in place. But after the recent site updates , I've suddenly noticed it going back to normal levels. I even saw it at 50K a few days ago. This could be Gaia just misleading people. They've already proven they have no ethics. So why not?

You're right though. Even new members who come here only enjoy the features that were always part of the site but once they realize that nothing new is going to be coming from Gaia, they become quite dejected and some even leave. The only ones who even stay are those who've made worthwhile friends during the brief time they got to enjoy the site.

And nothing wrong with optimism. It's the only thing to hang onto anymore when it comes to Gaia. xp

Wealthy Kitten

3,450 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Wait zomg is failing? Where the ******** have I been these last few years. crying crying crying crying crying stare crying crying they need tah fix this soon

Perfect Bloodsucker

17,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Threadmaster 200
draconicslayer PhD
Wait zomg is failing? Where the ******** have I been these last few years. crying crying crying crying crying stare crying crying they need tah fix this soon

zOMG! is beyond failed. the only thing worse that gaia could do is just flat out remove the game.
raggedy grrl
That always looked kinda painful, but I have to admit Uncle Scrooge was my favorite Disney comics character after Gyro Gearloose (when I was little, I wanted to grow up to be an inventor...or a mountain lion. Rawr.)

Kaniskion

Yes, I expressed some skepticism as well.

Oh, man. I loved duck tales too. Although I'm not sure if I had a favourite. Maybe launchpad cause he was goofy as goofy? And I loved goofy. razz

You're right about that. I joined back when there was still hope for zOMG! It was stagnating but there were still active devs for zOMG! and DMS was on the horizon.(Again why I wish I had a time machine so I could send you back xp ), but I still think that what kept me here more than even active zOMG! development was the friends that I made. So that should hold true even now. Although probably a lot harder now with a lot lesser people playing. sweatdrop

The problem as you've mentioned is that very few employees of Gaia even use Gaia at all. It's just a job to most of them. So everything will always be seen from a monetary perspective. Of course. That also would've been fine were it not for Gaia management having no business acumen whatsoever. As you've mentioned, companies like Apple do well because even though they dont go for user feedback, they at least make products they know they would enjoy as they are human beings as well. Gaia on the other hand creates products not on the basis of whether it would be something we want or something they want but based on knee-jerk reactions to social trends they only have a cursory knowledge of.

Unfortunately I can't really see anyone from Gaia's already limited staff of people who use the site actually having the capacity to run the entire site. Gaia is just a a big mess so they called in a person who's only goal is profiteering over anything else.

Alright, take care. 3nodding I hope you're still not working ridiculously long hours. gonk
raggedy grrl
I've never seen DuckTales, I'll have to look it up...we were too far out in the country for much of a television signal (two channels that mostly showed show), but I had a stack of old Donald Duck comics that I read to pieces.

Uncle Scrooge could be really mean in some of the older comics...I remember one where Huey, Dewey, and Louie are trying to save a beached whale, but Uncle Scrooge wants to carve up the whale to render the blubber into oil. Scrooge does things like start sharpening a flensing knife next to the terrified whale, and throwing a rope around the whale's tail and start winching the poor guy further ashore (I guess this really made an impression on me...normally, I liked Scrooge, but this was just greed at its most naked and awful).

Oh. Haha! With me, It was the exact opposite problem. Living half way around the world from America meant we never got any of those comics over here. TV signals on the other hand are far easier to transmit and I happen to live in the city so.... wink I honestly can't remember much about the show.(so old) But I'm not sure I'd appreciate it now as I did when I was a kid. sweatdrop

But I can definitely believe you on the comics. Comics have always been far grittier than any of their counterparts on TV so I can't imagine it being too different in Donald duck's case. razz You should check out this article about how Donald Duck's creator came out with so many ideas in his comics long before they were realized in the real world. eek

http://www.cracked.com/article_19021_5-amazing-things-invented-by-donald-duck-seriously.html

Heh. I wonder if your love for Gearloose is what got you into eventually becoming a techie yourself. razz I definitely know Gearloose as he's in the cartoons as well. And he's actually very down to earth actually. A nice guy. Usually they always portray inventors as geeks with ridiculous lisps and social disabilities. But Gearloose was as normal as normal can be. xd

Oh, yikes. You've been hanging on to that headache for a long time now but I'm glad you could finally get some time off. 4laugh I'd really love to play zomg! with you some time if you could let me know when that would be. xp And man. I'm so clueless. I wasn't aware of Miyazaki's latest movie. Felt like it was just yesterday that I watched spirited away. redface

Perfect Bloodsucker

17,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Threadmaster 200
raggedy grrl
ryry Kenny_McCormick ryry
draconicslayer PhD

zOMG! is beyond failed. the only thing worse that gaia could do is just flat out remove the game.

Bite your tongue! Some of us still have badges to finish and epic recipes to make... smile

I never said it was pointless to play the game. I just said that there's no hope in bringing it back to a progressive state.

Perfect Bloodsucker

17,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Threadmaster 200
raggedy grrl
raggedy grrl
draconicslayer PhD

Bite your tongue! Some of us still have badges to finish and epic recipes to make... smile

I never said it was pointless to play the game. I just said that there's no hope in bringing it back to a progressive state.

I don't quite understand. I was just joking about your "the only thing worse" comment... redface

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff