Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yeah, I know most of you are probably as tired as pancakes of people like me posting threads with their ideas for new rings. I had a bunch of ideas accumulating, though, and I want to know how balanced you guys think they are - and how to balance them better. Some have been thought over and the balance and tactics long weighed over (but still quite possibly unbalanced), while others are just random ideas that I'm just throwing out.

-------------------

Crowd Control and Debuffs
Tidal Wave

Effect: Knockback*. Rage simply increases the AoE and the power of the knockback.
Range: Medium
Stamina: 4-6
Cooldown: 3 seconds

*I wanted a knockback ring that would act as a feasible crowd control on its own. Now, normal AoE knockback causes a bit of trouble in that it scatters the animated - which is only useful in some applications. This knockback would have to be slightly different. Perhaps instead of pushing all animated away from the player, it could push its target away from the player, and then all the animated in its AoE would be pushed towards where the target ended up (allowing it to still be used to keep the animated away - although not as well as something like Dervish, perhaps - but also letting it be used to clump together animated for crowd control and AoE). This could be a technical hassle, I'm afraid.

- Should it begin as a single target ring (to balance against a better knockback, perhaps, or better cooldown and stamina times), or as a small AoE (so that you don't have to waste rage just to fight mobs - a major application of it)?

Hot Potato

Effect: Knockback. Throw a potato at your ally (or just toss it around yourself), where it explodes into fluffy goodness, throwing back the animated.
AoE: Epic range to who you can throw the potato to. A small range around that person for the knockback (which increases with rage).
Stamina: ???
Cooldown: ???
Rage effect: Bigger AoE for knocking back animated. Stronger knockback. Stronger secondary effect (secondary effect = ???)

So I don't forget this one.

Lasso

Effect: Knockback towards you, as well as a short lived but powerful accuracy debuff, or some kind of crowd control. Meant to lure in animated from afar, then have them somewhat helpless for a bit.
Range: Extreme

- This is one of the less thought out ones. Is it balanced at all? Is it useful at all?

Fog

Effect: Accuracy Debuff. The fog obscures the vision of your enemies, making it harder for them to hit you.
Range: Melee
AoE: Large (a little bit of rage would make it screen wide)

- This would be for a ring balance where Knife Sharpen got given some other job. Again, a very rough idea.

Music

Effect: Willpower debuff. Rage would increase the duration or power
Range: Short
Stamina: 6-7
Cooldown 7 seconds

- I can't think of a better theme for this. Currently, it's us playing music at the animated, with the most derided musical instruments. rr1 is probably a harmonica or something... up to rr4, Bagpipes. The music disrupts the animated's wills to fight on. Sound effects should be interesting (stereotypical, slightly off [but not annoyingly so] notes from the various instruments).

Attack (melee and ranged)

Rapier and Dagger

Effect: Hybrid Damage and Deflection buff.
AoE: None. Single target.
Stamina: 4-5
Cooldown: 4 seconds
RR1 -> 70-110 Damage (90 Damage) + 5 seconds Reflection boost (???)
RR2 -> 100-140 Damage (120 Damage) + 5 seconds Reflection boost (???)
RR3 -> 120-180 Damage (150 Damage) + 5 seconds Reflection boost (???)
RR4 -> 170-250 Damage (210 Damage) + 5 seconds Reflection boost (???)

- The damage is basically Mantis' for the sake of simplicity - a relatively weak attack, but here with a bonus to defense as well, but only as you're using the attack (theoretically, you can see that the boost could be sustained as long as you kept always fighting with the ring whenever it finished cooling down)
- How much deflection would be balanced for this? It's not a continuous one (or a crewwide one) like Pot Lid, but then again, the ring does do some damage. Of course, it adds no persistent armor to the player either...

Alternative Rapier and Dagger

Effect: Deflection and Reflection buff (not technically an attack ring, but I'm putting it here so it's next to the other idea).
Cooldown: Short ???
Duration: 15-30 seconds or something.
RR1 -> Deflection boost (??? maybe somewhere around 15%?)
RR2 -> Deflection boost (25%?)
RR3 -> Deflection boost (30%?) + Reflection boost (10%?)
RR4 -> Deflection boost (30%?) + Reflection boost (20%?)

- What levels of deflection and reflection would make that balanced? It gives no real armor, but if it's deflecting and reflecting a lot...
- What kind of cooldown vs. duration would be useable for this (something closer together than Turtle, I assume)?
- Which idea is better?

Broadsword and Buckler

Effect: Hybrid Damage and Deflection
Cooldown: 5 seconds

RR1 -> 80-120 Damage (100 Damage) 2 second of increased Deflection (???)
RR2 -> 100-160 Damage (130 Damage) 3 seconds of deflection
RR3 -> 130-190 Damage (160 Damage) 4 seconds of deflection
RR4 -> 170-250 Damage (210 Damage) 5 seconds of deflection

- How much deflection would be balanced for this?
- Would a short Persistent armor boost be a better fit (armor pool would be sort of silly for 1 second things, I think)? If so, how much?

Frying Pan

Effect: Damage and Healing (you bash in the animated's heads and fry an egg at the same time). Rage would slightly increase both damage and healing. Damage would be less than a ring balanced like it (but without healing), and healing would be minor.
Stamina: 5-6 ??? Mid-range for melee attacks

Rage would either increase both (healing would be based on a percent of the damage, but roughly would be so that the averages of each, with the variability inherent in attack rings, would be around)
rr1: 90 damage, 60 healing
rr2: 110 damage, 80 healing
rr3: 130 damage, 90 healing
rr4: 160 damage, 110 healing

Or perhaps only the healing percent would go up, for something like this:
rr1: 110 damage, 40 healing
rr2: 110 damage, 70 healing
rr3: 110 damage, 110 healing
rr4: 110 damage, 140 healing

- I like the concept of it, mostly, and the idea of hybrid damage and healing seems a popular idea.

Javelin

Effect: Damage
Range: Medium
Stamina: 3-4
Cooldown: 3 seconds
RR1: 80 + Root (2s)
RR2: 110 + Root (2s)
RR3: 130 + Root (3s)
RR4: 150 + Root (4s)
(also, the probability that root would take effect would increase with rage?)

- Plain vanilla ranged doesn't seem to fit in that well. How about crowd control/ranged?

Plunger

Effect: Damage, Knockback. The weapon reaches out to the animated (in its animation, it would look like just a long melee weapon), hits it for damage, and then pulls it toward you with knockback.
Range: Short
AoE: Single target
RR1 -> 70-80 Damage (70 Damage) + Knockback
RR2 -> 70-110 Damage (90 Damage) + Knockback
RR3 -> 90-130 Damage (110 Damage) + Knockback
RR4 -> 120-180 Damage (150 Damage) + Knockback (maybe the last two rages + Sleep too)

- Using it on Peelungers would make the world implode.

Buffs

Static

Effect: Damages attackers when damage is dealt unto you
AoE: Buff AoE is one target only. Damage AoE is melee.
Stamina: 11-12
Cooldown: 15 seconds
Duration: 15 minutes
rr1 -> 50 damage
rr2 -> 60 damage
rr3 -> 80 damage
rr4 -> 110 damage

Tea

Effect: (very small) Max stamina increase. Does not stack. Does not "heal" stamina with it.
AoE: Self and allies, full crew (just like most buffs now).
Cooldown: 1 minute

- Another popular ring idea. I'm not sure how much I like the idea of a stamina increaser, but here's how I'd like it themed and balanced.
- How much stamina could be increased without being unbalanced?

Soap

Effect: Debuff/Crowd Control removal (most chance of removing simple debuffs, less chance of removing crowd control - Willpower of the user would increase chances?)
AoE: single target, allies only

- Should all debuffs have a chance of not getting removed?
- This would be best hypothetically in a balance of rings where Diagnose also had this power, along with its healing, in its AoE - but with less chance of removing some debuffs and crowd control (but also almost always removing Bleed).

Fan

Effect: Regeneration boost, stamina and health
AoE: self and allies (even non crew)
Cooldown 15 seconds

- This regeneration boost would be only to kneeling stamina/health regeneration. Should it not stack on top of Healing Halo or Divinity, but you could use both (for example, if the regeneration boost for kneeling only of Fan was greater than the kneeling bonus from Divinity, you could use both to get regeneration while standing [from Divinity] and a greater bonus from kneeling [from Fan])?
- Should it be one or the other, or both?
- I'm thinking an AoE where rr1 is just you, and then higher rage ranks give it a small AoE around you (like Wish, but with the target being you). Would that be good, or should it be a different AoE?

Chainmail

Effect: 20-30% Persistent armor. Passive, self only ring.

- More armor? Less? It is self only, and has no other benefits, but then again it's passive...
- Any other boosts it should have as secondary ones? Weight, will, deflection/reflection?

- Knight ring set of Chainmail, Broadsword and Buckler, Javelin, and some other ring?

Pat

Effect: Ghi increase. Single target (self or allies).
A ghi hand pats an ally on the head. Higher rage gives them a pat on the back.

- How much is balanced? I'm thinking a cooldown of about 15 seconds, usual buff stamina costs. Maybe 25 Ghi increase?

Hygienic Trash

i like tea the best : D

then frying pan

but if the devs would want to put these rings in the game itd probaly take them another year D:
I like many of those ideas, but some of them may be hard to balance correctly. The Frying Pan ring caught my attention. I had a similar idea of this a while ago. If you don't mind, I may add some status to it. I'll quote myself on this:
Quote:
Anyway, I was thinking of the ring more as a ring with the same Fear effect, with knockback and heals a 10% of the damage done (You 'now, like a vampire?), even though don't know if it would be coding-possible.

Yeah, this was kind of an idea for Halloween Ring. But take off the knockback and fear of it, and just keep the healing and damage. And change it's name to Vampire Bite dramallama .

Emyre's Waifu

Monster Hunter

13,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Monster Hunter 100
I'm still reading through all the ideas.

I want to say I like the idea of Lasso.
I'd like to see it use Sleep or something, for the Animated to be briefly helpless.
I'd start using that for soloing. Awesomesauce luring. x3

As for Tea, I actually have a different idea for that.
Make it a passive ring, and it increases your stamina regen.
Not like Div... a smaller increase.
It'd probably have to have other stat increases too to make it useful.
Dunno. That's just what I think.
Exiled Poet

I'd like to see it use Sleep or something, for the Animated to be briefly helpless.

Eh, Sleep wouldn't make the animated helpless for long, though, (unless you avoid attacking it, which sort of ruins the point of the luring most of the time). Something more like Fear, but without the running away, would work better, I'd think.

Tea - yeah, passive stamina regen sounds cool. Then we wouldn't get Tea animations, though (and people would still be babbling for a max stamina increasing ring stare ). Still, it's probably better. Maybe stamina and health regen (so it's a useful regeneration ring in general, with the soothing power of tea), but both smaller than Div or HH.
Swords Storm
I like many of those ideas, but some of them may be hard to balance correctly. The Frying Pan ring caught my attention. I had a similar idea of this a while ago. If you don't mind, I may add some status to it. I'll quote myself on this:
Quote:
Anyway, I was thinking of the ring more as a ring with the same Fear effect, with knockback and heals a 10% of the damage done (You 'now, like a vampire?), even though don't know if it would be coding-possible.

Yeah, this was kind of an idea for Halloween Ring. But take off the knockback and fear of it, and just keep the healing and damage. And change it's name to Vampire Bite dramallama .

3nodding Yep, that's one of the ones I was inspired from to make the ring (as well as a dozen other Vampire themed ones, a couple Blood Mage themed ones, and a few ones with other themes). Personally, the vampire theming didn't really interest me in any of them, hence my different theme for it (and frying eggs off the pain of your enemies is whimsically delicious).

Emyre's Waifu

Monster Hunter

13,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Monster Hunter 100
Atrash the Squidmonger
Exiled Poet

Eh, Sleep wouldn't make the animated helpless for long, though, (unless you avoid attacking it, which sort of ruins the point of the luring most of the time). Something more like Fear, but without the running away, would work better, I'd think.

Tea - yeah, passive stamina regen sounds cool. Then we wouldn't get Tea animations, though (and people would still be babbling for a max stamina increasing ring stare ). Still, it's probably better. Maybe stamina and health regen (so it's a useful regeneration ring in general, with the soothing power of tea), but both smaller than Div or HH.

Perhaps they could create a new effect. Like... "Stun". The animated isn't hindered in any way; it just simply doesn't do anything for a moment.

I like that. Soothing regen ring~
What kind of animation would we have anyway? xD Like... a cup of tea with a spoon swirling in it? Seems kind of lame imo but... well zOMG is supposed to be silly anyway.

Also, I like the Chainmail idea.
Maybe it could be fairly low on armor and have slight increases on weight, will, and deflection.
Yeah, all of them. They all sound perfect for a "chainmail" idea. xD
Exiled Poet
Atrash the Squidmonger
Exiled Poet

Perhaps they could create a new effect. Like... "Stun". The animated isn't hindered in any way; it just simply doesn't do anything for a moment.

I like that. Soothing regen ring~
What kind of animation would we have anyway? xD Like... a cup of tea with a spoon swirling in it? Seems kind of lame imo but... well zOMG is supposed to be silly anyway.

Also, I like the Chainmail idea.
Maybe it could be fairly low on armor and have slight increases on weight, will, and deflection.
Yeah, all of them. They all sound perfect for a "chainmail" idea. xD

Yeah, "Stun" would be nice. Or cheat and make it use Root and Fear simultaneously, but that seems like an overly complicated way to do it.

Well, if it's an active ring, it could have different animations for rage. A cup of tea appearing in front of you for rr1, rr4 gets a steaming hot kettle of tea. Heh, or maybe the tea cup/kettle appears over your head and dumps the scalding tea on you (sooooothing xd ).

I wonder if they could have passive rings that just showed a single animation when equipped.

As for chainmail, I think it should specialize a little so it doesn't just become a slightly more defensive focused Fitness. Maybe 20% persistent armor, along with a small weight boost?
Too be honest I didn't read all of it, but I did read to the Alternate Rapier one.
I think all the debuff rings are useless. :/ None of zOMG's debuffs do anything even close to warrant taking a debuff ring over another.

I do like the Alternate Rapier idea, but the duration being way too short. Up the time, and make it the length of a normal defensive buff.

Emyre's Waifu

Monster Hunter

13,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Monster Hunter 100
Atrash the Squidmonger
Yeah, "Stun" would be nice. Or cheat and make it use Root and Fear simultaneously, but that seems like an overly complicated way to do it.

Well, if it's an active ring, it could have different animations for rage. A cup of tea appearing in front of you for rr1, rr4 gets a steaming hot kettle of tea. Heh, or maybe the tea cup/kettle appears over your head and dumps the scalding tea on you (sooooothing xd ).

I wonder if they could have passive rings that just showed a single animation when equipped.

As for chainmail, I think it should specialize a little so it doesn't just become a slightly more defensive focused Fitness. Maybe 20% persistent armor, along with a small weight boost?

Yeah. xD

Haha, that cracked me up. Yeah, really soothing there... Maybe it'd just be a pot of tea rattling with a burst of steam coming out. Also, this discussion reminds me of this video. >w>

And yeah, if it's passive, maybe it could have a continuous animation, like Sweetheart but much less often. However, not having an animation cuts down on the Dev's work which is always good.

And yeah, you're right. xD It should be specialized. Sounds good to me.
Rusted Chains v2
Too be honest I didn't read all of it, but I did read to the Alternate Rapier one.
I think all the debuff rings are useless. :/ None of zOMG's debuffs do anything even close to warrant taking a debuff ring over another.

I do like the Alternate Rapier idea, but the duration being way too short. Up the time, and make it the length of a normal defensive buff.

The debuffs could be useful, if cheap enough and either really powerful or AoE (and some areas would have more use for them - namely places with animated that die slower or which you can't focus on to fight [such as Gauntlet, or Stone Coatl when you're finally fighting the Coatl and running like mad because all your crew died]).

Alternate Rapier and Dagger was meant to fit a little more like an action rather than a buff - strong enough deflection and reflection (or maybe it should be focused on reflection only - the description would be that the "you not getting hit" part would be due to parrying blows, and the "the animated gets hit with its attacks" part would be actually you attacking them with the rapier, but not actually having to click and do stuff for that) to provide a significant defense and even some offense, but only when you use it (rather than buffs, which you just set up and leave hanging around you).
Atrash the Squidmonger
Rusted Chains v2

The debuffs could be useful, if cheap enough and either really powerful or AoE (and some areas would have more use for them - namely places with animated that die slower or which you can't focus on to fight [such as Gauntlet, or Stone Coatl when you're finally fighting the Coatl and running like mad because all your crew died]).

Alternate Rapier and Dagger was meant to fit a little more like an action rather than a buff - strong enough deflection and reflection (or maybe it should be focused on reflection only - the description would be that the "you not getting hit" part would be due to parrying blows, and the "the animated gets hit with its attacks" part would be actually you attacking them with the rapier, but not actually having to click and do stuff for that) to provide a significant defense and even some offense, but only when you use it (rather than buffs, which you just set up and leave hanging around you).

I can't think of any debuffs that are useful enough to take the place of another ring. Maybe I'm not thinking of one though.

5,650 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I think "hypnotise" would be a better name for "propaganda", its a little better described.
i think a debuff clearing ring would be nice, id love it too if it got attached onto diagnose.
also, i know some people would think this would be stupid, but a null ring that allows you to have one of the following, but i cant decide which one...
1. a temporary null chamber so you dont have to go all the way to and form a null chamber like in otami
2. an AOE ( i guess it would be considered AOE at lest..) fear effect
3. Have the ability to switch rings in the feild once per hour or so ( also unsupress CL? )

also i'd like to see a swordmaster or something ring set comprised of all the blade rings ( hack, slash, mantis, and knife sharpen)

ace biggrin
Rusted Chains v2

I can't think of any debuffs that are useful enough to take the place of another ring. Maybe I'm not thinking of one though.

It really depends on how powerful, cheap, and fitted to their tasks they are. If they were balanced to be useful:
Accuracy - Makes you avoid damage, especially powerful along with Dodge buffs. It's a sort of cheap armor - applied only to the animated swarms that you really need protection from (or specific animated - what if you could - while being less defended against Kokeshi Dolls, get a significant defense against the vengeful cherry fluffs in the Doll Shrine, for example?)
Dodge - Animated die faster. This one is really only useful against animated which survive for awhile (a long while if it's a single target one, or a significant, but short while for and AoE debuff). Currently, there aren't too many, but there could be more (and some swarms are still pretty slow to kill for certain levels - they could use a bit of effective dodge AoE debuffs).
Willpower - Makes your crowd control more certain - more useful against higher/equal leveled animated which will resist a lot of willpower. This also makes it harder for them to hit you with crowd control, right? (can anyone say "Masks of Death and Rebirth"?)
Footspeed - It's basically Root, but cheaper in some way (more likely to hit, less costs, longer lasting, or whatever balancing mechanism used). Keeps animated with melee attacks away from you while you snipe at them with ranged attacks.
etc.
ace-Archervmkcff
I think "hypnotise" would be a better name for "propaganda", its a little better described.

Perhaps. Some people might expect and hypnosis ring to cause the animated to attack others or perhaps have a crowd control effect (hypnotized against the danger), though.

Quote:
i think a debuff clearing ring would be nice, id love it too if it got attached onto diagnose.
also, i know some people would think this would be stupid, but a null ring that allows you to have one of the following, but i cant decide which one...
1. a temporary null chamber so you dont have to go all the way to and form a null chamber like in otami
2. an AOE ( i guess it would be considered AOE at lest..) fear effect
3. Have the ability to switch rings in the feild once per hour or so ( also unsupress CL? )

A temporary null chamber could be an interesting idea. I could see a couple ways this could be done.
1. You click the ring and get ported back to the main null chamber (probably easier than having some new area just for it). Click it again and you get ported back to where you came from. Give it a bit of a cooldown and stamina cost, perhaps, and make it not useable in instances ('cause that would be silly). Still could be breakable (using it basically like a Turtle ring that can last for any amount of time they want - they just can leave whenever they take damage, and then run back in after healing and buffing up like crazy).
2. It has set spots where it can port you to (maybe you use it, then when you teleport back in, it takes you to where you would normally enter the map). Really, this would only be useful if more areas come out without null chambers.

AoE fear... not sure how that would tie in too much to the null ring theme (I mean, mechanically, I can see how it could produce a similar effect of "okay, now I can rest", but it does it by a different means). It's also sort of pushing into Scaredy Cat's and Hornet's Nest's jobs. Scaredy Cat is AoE with rage, and Hornet's Nest is a weak AoE fear at all times.

The ability to switch rings or change CL's could lead to exploits - or would have to be carefully made to avoid that. An hour wait would be hard to enforce - what if they switch servers (5 minutes, approx)? Is it back ready to use (like other rings)? Is it still waiting until 55 more minutes pass? Does it keep cooling down if you aren't wearing it (so people could just use it, put it away, and then take it out again only when they needed it - with an hour cooldown, that's actually the only really practical way to do utilize such a thing)?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff