Welcome to Gaia! ::

Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
zOMG! is gone and it's not coming back.
Maybe not officially, but I wouldn't give up ALL hope if I were you.. wink

I saw that post, it doesn't change my argument.
A spin-off or remake would not be the zOMG! it was.
zOMG! was zOMG! because of it's community, and that community has moved on.
zOMG! was a fun game and something the devs should be proud of, but it would not have lived this long if it didn't have it's community.
If the community moved on, the question wouldn't have been asked, the unofficial petition wouldn't still be active and people wouldn't still be complaining. I wouldn't say the community has completely moved on..

TasteChaos's King

Duck

Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion

zOMG! was a fun game and something the devs should be proud of, but it would not have lived this long if it didn't have it's community.
If the community moved on, the question wouldn't have been asked, the unofficial petition wouldn't still be active and people wouldn't still be complaining. I wouldn't say the community has completely moved on..

When you compare the activity of the z!F between a month ago and now, I'd say the community has died. The first argument is already pointless because one person is not a community, I don't see why that had to be in there, not just that it was random person, but the fact that it was you makes it worse. The unofficial petition is hardly alive, it barely gets any posts anymore.
For the complaining, in the ATS I saw about 5 questions about zOMG!, two of which were "Will it come back?". If a person like that would be a part of the community, that person would know the answer. In any other place the complaing has greatly decreased too. I don't call what is left of this a community.
And even if we would call the few people left a community, you don't take in mind the time it takes to rebuild zOMG!, by that time this small portion of what's left will be gone too.
zOMG! is doomed.
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion

When you compare the activity of the z!F between a month ago and now, I'd say the community has died. The first argument is already pointless because one person is not a community, I don't see why that had to be in there, not just that it was random person, but the fact that it was you makes it worse. The unofficial petition is hardly alive, it barely gets any posts anymore.
For the complaining, in the ATS I saw about 5 questions about zOMG!, two of which were "Will it come back?". If a person like that would be a part of the community, that person would know the answer. In any other place the complaing has greatly decreased too. I don't call what is left of this a community.
And even if we would call the few people left a community, you don't take in mind the time it takes to rebuild zOMG!, by that time this small portion of what's left will be gone too.
zOMG! is doomed.
Do you believe I'm the only one who has asked about this on a "Ask the Staff" thread? And "the fact that it was you makes it worse"; have we met before? If anyone was gonna ask, it had to come from someone in the community. Now that the staff has confirmed that other developers are allowed to attempt a remake, ANYONE could take a shot at it.. Seeing how you're downing me, yet have no idea of my experiences show me that I should avoid you, since all you'll do is demotivate, no matter what the conditions are. Sorry to hear about your doubts.

As for your statement about the unofficial petition, it has gained 10+ signatures today

TasteChaos's King

Duck

Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion

zOMG! is doomed.
Do you believe I'm the only one who has asked about this on a "Ask the Staff" thread? And "the fact that it was you makes it worse"; have we met before? If anyone was gonna ask, it had to come from someone in the community. Now that the staff has confirmed that other developers are allowed to attempt a remake, ANYONE could take a shot at it.. Seeing how you're downing me, yet have no idea of my experiences show me that I should avoid you, since all you'll do is demotivate, no matter what the conditions are. Sorry to hear about your doubts.

As for your statement about the unofficial petition, which petition are you referring to? 10+ people have signed today

I read the whole ask the staff thread and I mentioned how many posts about zOMG! I encountered.
I have no idea about your experiences, but as college student studying game art and design that has been told about the time it takes multiple times, I can imagine. And I'd doubt you are so incredibly professional that you can do it better than anyone else. If you were, you wouldn't be willing to make a remake of a game that wasn't that much fun without it's community.
As a reg on both zOMG! and the z!F for the last 2 years I know most of it's active community.
And yes, I am downing you because remaking zOMG! simply isn't worth it.
But like I said, if you want to put your time in it, go ahead, just don't get your hopes up.
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion

zOMG! is doomed.

As for your statement about the unofficial petition, which petition are you referring to? 10+ people have signed today

I read the whole ask the staff thread and I mentioned how many posts about zOMG! I encountered.
I have no idea about your experiences, but as college student studying game art and design that has been told about the time it takes multiple times, I can imagine. And I'd doubt you are so incredibly professional that you can do it better than anyone else. If you were, you wouldn't be willing to make a remake of a game that wasn't that much fun without it's community.
As a reg on both zOMG! and the z!F for the last 2 years I know most of it's active community.
But like I said, if you want to put your time in it, go ahead, just don't get your hopes up.
No one said only a single person would be working on this; please don't make crazy assumptions. The Ask the Staff questions I was referring to weren't "Is it coming back?"; they were related to selling/releasing the source code.

Once again, you don't know who I am, so why are you being so toxic towards me? What makes myself asking the staff "worse" than some random person? You never asked about my programming experiences, questioned my leadership skills nor asked about how I would even approach such a task. If you ask me, you don't seem experienced enough to even debate this topic.

wokeer's Wife

Lonely Hunter

12,600 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
Whispers of Delusion
I checked the petitions forum and the zOMG forum and went for the 3 first petitions I saw, meaning that these are most active.
These had only 127, 270 and 1280 votes.
The last one does have a decent number but this one is quite old and was created before the shut down for a different reason so I will not be counting this one.
I will use the 270 one for this argument.
If those 270 people would donate 10$ each, Gaia would most definitely not meet the requirements to maintain a game like zOMG! and there is no certainty everyone that signed would be willing to donate money for zOMG!. Honestly, I wouldn't. I don't trust Gaia anymore so unless they change they won't get a penny from me and I'm afraid when they decide to change, I wouldn't be here anymore and I will not come back for that. I know I'm not the only one that thinks like this.
Then there is the issue that zOMG! has old coding, which has been stated millions of times before and the staff that worked on the game does not work for Gaia anymore, they moved on and have different jobs now. Hiring new staff is not an option because of the coding and of course their salary Gaia doesn't want to pay.
Not to mention a kickstarter isn't used for that.
Gaia doesn't need money to make a game, it needs money to maintain it on a long term and they only get that money from profit which zOMG! didn't make anymore.
All I ca say is that you need to let go and move on.

If ure talking about ppl trying to save zomg(created after the shut down), there is the petition with more than 1030 users // im updating the signs everytime i can, most of them is ppl who used to waste real money to get cash.

TasteChaos's King

Duck

Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion

zOMG! is doomed.

No one said only a single person would be working on this; please don't make crazy assumptions. The Ask the Staff questions I was referring to weren't "Is it coming back?"; they were related to selling/releasing the source code.

Once again, you don't know who I am, so why are you being so toxic towards me? What makes myself asking the staff "worse" than some random person? You never asked about my programming experiences, questioned my leadership skills nor asked about how I would even approach such a task. If you ask me, you don't seem experienced enough to even debate this topic.

Unless you can find more people that are able to and willing to work on it as well then again goodluck. But those people would need proper knowledge of the game and it's coding and I don't think you'll find people that soon.

Because you were backing up an argument about the community with a post made by yourself, you are not a community, if it was someone else it would be two people, which would come slightly closer to a community, but it was not. That's why it was worse. I don't have to know your experience to know what tile it should at least take, unless you have super-programming powers.

TasteChaos's King

Duck

RoronoA_ZorO_Marim0
Whispers of Delusion
I checked the petitions forum and the zOMG forum and went for the 3 first petitions I saw, meaning that these are most active.
The last one does have a decent number but this one is quite old and was created before the shut down for a different reason so I will not be counting this one.
If those 270 people would donate 10$ each, Gaia would most definitely not meet the requirements to maintain a game like zOMG! and there is no certainty everyone that signed would be willing to donate money for zOMG!. Honestly, I wouldn't. I don't trust Gaia anymore so unless they change they won't get a penny from me and I'm afraid when they decide to change, I wouldn't be here anymore and I will not come back for that. I know I'm not the only one that thinks like this.
Then there is the issue that zOMG! has old coding, which has been stated millions of times before and the staff that worked on the game does not work for Gaia anymore, they moved on and have different jobs now. Hiring new staff is not an option because of the coding and of course their salary Gaia doesn't want to pay.
Gaia doesn't need money to make a game, it needs money to maintain it on a long term and they only get that money from profit which zOMG! didn't make anymore.

If ure talking about ppl trying to save zomg(created after the shut down), there is the petition with more than 1030 users // im updating the signs everytime i can, most of them is ppl who used to waste real money to get cash.

Link me please, so I can update my argument if necessary.

wokeer's Wife

Lonely Hunter

12,600 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
Whispers of Delusion
RoronoA_ZorO_Marim0
Whispers of Delusion

Here:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/zomg-gaia-s-mmo/zomg-unofficial-petition/t.94759307_1141/
smile Is the page where i did the last update in the list, ill wait a lil more to do it again ~

TasteChaos's King

Duck

RoronoA_ZorO_Marim0
Whispers of Delusion
RoronoA_ZorO_Marim0
Whispers of Delusion
These had only 127, 1030 and 1280 votes.
The last one is quite old and was created before the shut down for a different reason so I will not be counting this one.
I will use the 1030 one for this argument.
If those 1030 people would donate 10$ each, Gaia would most definitely not meet the requirements to maintain a game like zOMG! and there is no certainty everyone that signed would be willing to donate money for zOMG!. Honestly, I wouldn't. I don't trust Gaia anymore so unless they change they won't get a penny from me and I'm afraid when they decide to change, I wouldn't be here anymore and I will not come back for that. I know I'm not the only one that thinks like this.

Here:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/zomg-gaia-s-mmo/zomg-unofficial-petition/t.94759307_1141/
smile Is the page where i did the last update in the list, ill wait a lil more to do it again ~

I did check that one, I just don't read 77 pages to find the correct number.
It's also not a very well kept an accurate thread either, because while just glancing at the list I immediately noticed this
Quote:
103. EnLite
104. EnLite

I'm gonna assume it didn't happen more than once because I'm not gonna go down the whole list because it's moot. Even with almost 10x the amount of signs, it still doesn't change the other parts and it is still not a long term solution, you'd be able to keep zOMG! alive for a few extra months depending on the devs salary.

Oh derp me edited the wrong post...

wokeer's Wife

Lonely Hunter

12,600 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
Whispers of Delusion
RoronoA_ZorO_Marim0
Whispers of Delusion
RoronoA_ZorO_Marim0
Whispers of Delusion
These had only 127, 1030 and 1280 votes.
The last one is quite old and was created before the shut down for a different reason so I will not be counting this one.
I will use the 1030 one for this argument.
If those 1030 people would donate 10$ each, Gaia would most definitely not meet the requirements to maintain a game like zOMG! and there is no certainty everyone that signed would be willing to donate money for zOMG!. Honestly, I wouldn't. I don't trust Gaia anymore so unless they change they won't get a penny from me and I'm afraid when they decide to change, I wouldn't be here anymore and I will not come back for that. I know I'm not the only one that thinks like this.

Here:

I did check that one, I just don't read 77 pages to find the correct number.
It's also not a very well kept an accurate thread either, because while just glancing at the list I immediately noticed this
Quote:
103. EnLite
104. EnLite

I'm gonna assume it didn't happen more than once because I'm not gonna go down the whole list because it's moot. Even with almost 10x the amount of signs, it still doesn't change the other parts and it is still not a long term solution, you'd be able to keep zOMG! alive for a few extra months depending on the devs salary.

Oh derp me edited the wrong post...

Oh no, i started to update the list from the 300+ xD i keep checking the names with ctrl + f to avoid that kind of problems so dont worry
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion

zOMG! is doomed.

Unless you can find more people that are able to and willing to work on it as well then again goodluck. But those people would need proper knowledge of the game and it's coding and I don't think you'll find people that soon.

Because you were backing up an argument about the community with a post made by yourself, you are not a community, if it was someone else it would be two people, which would come slightly closer to a community, but it was not. That's why it was worse. I don't have to know your experience to know what tile it should at least take, unless you have super-programming powers.
I have mentioned previously that I actually DO know people interested in a project like this, that will be working for nothing more than an upgraded portfolio. It doesn't take super-programmers to design a game; it takes knowledge. You'd be surprised what a single motivated person could achieve, especially with all the frameworks and game engines available to build upon (although I feel they limit flexibility).

Besides all of that, I said to not give up all hope, as the staff has approved of allowing the community to attempt such a thing. I never said I personally was going to do it, so I'm not sure why you came at me so aggressively in the first place.

It's coding is unknown; a person could only make educated assumptions. My idea was to recreate the mechanics, resketch the map, look for specific resources like sounds and dialogue, and attempt to redesign it with a stable foundation. As mentioned in many threads/posts by other developers, Gaia doesn't seem to have high standards for their code. A bug like the one zOMG encountered was most likely due to bad design. Over time, the effects of deadlines causing programmers to implement quick fixes definitely build up, and zOMG was an example of what happens when things aren't tended to.

Like I've mentioned in other posts, zOMG is not the first flash mmo, so it's not like it isn't possible to create a bug-free flash mmo. I'm not saying the game was taken down soley due to the bug; I'm sure zOMG wasn't making as much money as expected. But what did they expect? They stopped releasing new content, probably due to the rough foundation they had to program on. Remove the deadlines and the worry for how much you'll be paying for the dev, and I'm sure zOMG would rise once again. Although items won't be connected to your Gaia accounts, that leaves room for much innovation (allow Gaians to wear whatever they want regardless of being able to afford it on the site? Re-release items? The ideas go on and on).

TasteChaos's King

Duck

Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion

zOMG! is doomed.

I have mentioned previously that I actually DO know people interested in a project like this, that will be working for nothing more than an upgraded portfolio. It doesn't take super-programmers to design a game; it takes knowledge. You'd be surprised what a single motivated person could achieve, especially with all the frameworks and game engines available to build upon (although I feel they limit flexibility).

Besides all of that, I said to not give up all hope, as the staff has approved of allowing the community to attempt such a thing. I never said I personally was going to do it, so I'm not sure why you came at me so aggressively in the first place.

It's coding is unknown; a person could only make educated assumptions. My idea was to recreate the mechanics, resketch the map, look for specific resources like sounds and dialogue, and attempt to redesign it with a stable foundation. As mentioned in many threads/posts by other developers, Gaia doesn't seem to have high standards for their code. A bug like the one zOMG encountered was most likely due to bad design. Over time, the effects of deadlines causing programmers to implement quick fixes definitely build up, and zOMG was an example of what happens when things aren't tended to.

Like I've mentioned in other posts, zOMG is not the first flash mmo, so it's not like it isn't possible to create a bug-free flash mmo. I'm not saying the game was taken down soley due to the bug; I'm sure zOMG wasn't making as much money as expected. But what did they expect? They stopped releasing new content, probably due to the rough foundation they had to program on. Remove the deadlines and the worry for how much you'll be paying for the dev, and I'm sure zOMG would rise once again. Although items won't be connected to your Gaia accounts, that leaves room for much innovation (allow Gaians to wear whatever they want regardless of being able to afford it on the site? Re-release items? The ideas go on and on).

I will ask you one question, when was the last time you did a good run on zOMG!?
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion

I will ask you one question, when was the last time you did a good run on zOMG!?
EB rush sometime mid last year. I wasn't able to play much towards the end, had to tend to other things. But I still recall every ring used for evert party member (used to lead) as well as my best hive technique. I came back for some nostalgia, but zOMG was gone. After finding out about the bug, my only thought on the subject was the programmers didn't do it right.

I'm not saying me or anyone I know are better than the previous developers. But as a developer, I understand how deadlines can cause bad code. For all I know, the staff could have been overwhelmed from time constraints, which lead to the downfall of the code and uprise of not only the bug, but the lack of fresh content. Not only have I studied game design for a few years now, but I practice code and logic design on a regular basis (solving problems on StackOverflow and reviewing friends' code). I do admit that I'm going to attempt this with some friends (and hopefully some developers I find on here, which I've found a few).

I'm not sure what doing a zOMG run has to do with this, but if you're asking if I'm familiar with the game, then your answer is yes. I used to pay for revives a while back, which I still have. Even if you feel memory may be off, I have the community to ask for questions, GaiaWiki for (unofficial) documentation, images for resketching and remodeling the map and videos for sounds and animations. I've been thinking about this ever since I came back to Gaia a few weeks ago.

Amateur Lunatic

12,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Jolly Roger 50
zippythecellist
I just logged in after a hiatus to discover one of my main reasons for coming here is gone! crying I noticed in their explanation that they said zomg hadn't made a profit for a while and that there was too much code to go through in order to even try and fix the security exploit...I would TOTALLY be willing to contribute to a kickstarter to fix zomg. Even though I wasn't very good at the game, I still had fun dying on every other boss I attempted! rofl

I played a lot, had ring sets that I used for each boss and spent time learning how to play each area, then poof! ugh.
they could open it in small portions as more people sign up. make it $10 pay to play (lifetime) with additional donations accepted or something. Not more than the average user can afford, but enough that if 300-400 people donated they could open the beach or something then more as players return. just an idea

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff