Welcome to Gaia! ::

I just logged in after a hiatus to discover one of my main reasons for coming here is gone! crying I noticed in their explanation that they said zomg hadn't made a profit for a while and that there was too much code to go through in order to even try and fix the security exploit...I would TOTALLY be willing to contribute to a kickstarter to fix zomg. Even though I wasn't very good at the game, I still had fun dying on every other boss I attempted! rofl

Perfect Saint

In the past, people and even the devs did things to raise profit for zOMG. Efforts even to monetize the game failed. You'd probably need to kickstart several thousand dollars to make it worth their while. It took millions to make a game like zOMG. I think it is not a realistic goal. And will a real kickstarter work for a game that is already made?
Why wouldn't a kickstarter to bring it back work? There are TONS of people here signing petitions to bring it back, I doubt NOBODY would contribute to it if gaia did make a kickstarter for zomg.

Familiar Hunter

11,815 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
The kickstarter only needs to pay one person to keep zomg up,
i read a bunch of posts Explaining that but what i have not read is someone volunteering for that task .
SO is there someone out there who wants the job, payed by kickstarter to work for gaiaonline on Zomg! full time ?

smile hell i hope so.
I sure hope so too, because I no longer have a way to have fun while failing miserably at an MMO! rofl
Narumi mentioned in his "state of zOMG!" faq that a kickstarter wouldn't work as they wanted zOMG! to make a steady stream of money on its own.

Distinct Shade

Zomg is really the only reason i play on gaia cause it was really fun! and i recently lost my acount so i started new the other day and its gone.... idk how but they need to bring it back other wise they might loose alot of people.
It seems that already a lot of people are missing. I loved playing zOMG! and I do hope they bring it back, one way or another. If they want more money going into zOMG!, then i'll be happy to pay the price.
i love zOMG it is my favorite mmorpg. I just wish that is would start again.
cheese_whine heart dramallama

Big Noob

Sustainability is key. You can start it, but the momentum has to be carried through. One might raise enough to fix the game of the leak, but to have it continue development will definitely need more than a kickstarter. As much as the game is loved by a certain group of users, it needs to generate profit and sustain itself long term or it will just fizzle in a few months wasting everyone's money.

Beloved Muse

8,725 Points
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100
  • Deal Me In 50
If you really want to spread this through, what you need is an advertisement campaign led by gaia users. Maybe make a guild and gather members to spread the word. That and giving money isn't enough, you have to give it to a specific source(s) or put it to a specific goal or goals. "To keep zOMG! up" is actually very vague as there is (or at least from what I heard) multiple reasons why the game closed. If you want the game up you'll have to set up things that would prevent these issues from coming up again.

Beloved Muse

8,725 Points
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Small Blind 100
  • Deal Me In 50
onetaills
If you really want to spread this through, what you need is an advertisement campaign led by gaia users. Maybe make a guild and gather members to spread the word. That and giving money isn't enough, you have to give it to a specific source(s) or put it to a specific goal or goals. "To keep zOMG! up" is actually very vague as there is (or at least from what I heard) multiple reasons why the game closed. If you want the game up you'll have to set up things that would prevent these issues from coming up again.
On top of that depending on what your course of action is, having a bunch of money from the start isn't enough. Say you want a programing team along with a quality assurance team, as much as you can find users who'd be willing to program on their free time, you wont find as much people from passion alone, maybe you'd need a hired team. Or maybe a hired team isnt the issue. Maybe whatever small group you have needs to pay monthly to use the programs they do to fix it, something they cant afford to do themselves.

What im saying is you'd might need a patreon account to keep things going too, depending on if your plan can't cover financial expenses in the long run. Im not sure how high it can go, or if it can be sent to multiple parties but its at least good to look at your options.

TasteChaos's King

Duck

I checked the petitions forum and the zOMG forum and went for the 3 first petitions I saw, meaning that these are most active.
These had only 127, 1030 and 1280 votes.
The last one is quite old and was created before the shut down for a different reason so I will not be counting this one.
I will use the 1030 one for this argument.
If those 1030 people would donate 10$ each, Gaia would most definitely not meet the requirements to maintain a game like zOMG! and there is no certainty everyone that signed would be willing to donate money for zOMG!. Honestly, I wouldn't. I don't trust Gaia anymore so unless they change they won't get a penny from me and I'm afraid when they decide to change, I wouldn't be here anymore and I will not come back for that. I know I'm not the only one that thinks like this.
Then there is the issue that zOMG! has old coding, which has been stated millions of times before and the staff that worked on the game does not work for Gaia anymore, they moved on and have different jobs now. Hiring new staff is not an option because of the coding and of course their salary Gaia doesn't want to pay.
Not to mention a kickstarter isn't used for that.
Gaia doesn't need money to make a game, it needs money to maintain it on a long term and they only get that money from profit which zOMG! didn't make anymore.
All I ca say is that you need to let go and move on.
zOMG! is gone and it's not coming back.
Whispers of Delusion
Maybe not officially, but I wouldn't give up ALL hope if I were you.. wink

TasteChaos's King

Duck

Lupin The Thrid
Whispers of Delusion
Maybe not officially, but I wouldn't give up ALL hope if I were you.. wink

I saw that post, it doesn't change my argument.
A spin-off or remake would not be the zOMG! it was.
zOMG! was zOMG! because of it's community, and that community has moved on.
zOMG! was a fun game and something the devs should be proud of, but it would not have lived this long if it didn't have it's community.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff