Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
~macs and voip. a short guide.~
you want to try voip right? well, there is more things going on then what is perceived.

Firefox 3.6 not supported!
(update! email reply page 4!)

voip works on all intel based macs.
imac
macbook
macbook air
mac mini
macbook pro
mac pro tower
2006 to current models

powerpc macs are unloved. the add-on can download, but will not install.

User Image

powerpc macs are:
ibook (all gen.)
powerbook (all gen.)
emac (all gen.)
1st gen mac mini
some imac
power mac tower
g5 and below mac types

mac list based on cpu

voip is only available for firefox version 3+. (ff 3.5.8, 3.5.9, 3.5.10 is supported. 3.6 is not supported.)
for a crew to hear each other speak, everyone must have voip installed onto their computer. (mac/pc)

update for 3.6 is not available yet through zomg. may be available if you download vivox plug-in that is for other games/facebook. (not been tested to know if it works, aka "i don't want to download the app on my facebook to then try and test it in firefox and then try to play it in zomg" ) MORE 3.6 VOIP RELATED INFO IN THE QA SECTION

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
~installing voip~

before you begin:
1. open firefox.
2. log on to gaia online.
-------------------------------------
click on zomg and look at the server page. note the area circled in red.

User Image

click the button.

User Image

(firefox may ask if you will allow something from gaiaonline to install, say yes and click the button again.)

install.

User Image

you should now see this.

User Image

and if you look in your firefox tools>add-ons, you should see this.

User Image

you may have to restart firefox after the add-on is installed.

(note that one screenshot is from a powerpc since voip was already installed and i forgot to take a screenie.)

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
~continued~

now that you have the plugin installed, look at your apple menu. note the circle with lines.

User Image

hop on a server and notice that the icon will glow green.

User Image

you are logged in. woohoo!

User Image

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
~getting to know if voip is working for you~

there are some key things to look for to see if you are really logged in.

1. the green icon. sometimes this can trick you but most times it should be working.
--------------------------
to know for sure if you are connected, look at the drop down menu of the voip icon.

here, you are online.

User Image

and this one, you are are not.

User Image

because of the roster is not available, it means that your crew will not see the speaker icon next to you in the crew list. so, you are not logged in even though the system may say you are.

(note: sometimes you will see this when you are not in a crew but it should all look like the first screenie when you are in a crew.)

2. look at your crew list.
-------------------------------
when you are recrewted, your speaker icon will either be on or off based on if you have push to talk enabled.

to enable push to talk, go to the drop down menu of the voip icon and select the option.

User Image

(note: use a two button setting for push to talk. most times one button will not work. i am using command/option combo for my ptt.)

look at your crew list. you can either be muted.

User Image

or you can be available right away.

User Image

by clicking the speaker icon, you can also mute a crew member.

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
~am i disconnected?~

if you see the speaker menu like what is listed above with the shaded out unclickable areas, it means you are not connected.

also the icon may be gray and that will also tell you that you are not logged in.

User Image

~solutions and help~

when you see this:

User Image

this means your crew does not see your speaker icon next to you in the crew window.

to fix this error and not being logged in, try any of the following:

1. reload zomg. when you reload, try to give about 20 seconds before you hop back on the server.

2. close the zomg window. exit the screen and try starting from scratch. if you open a new page, the voip icon in the menu should turn back on. it will also allow voip to fully load again to for the game.

3. empty cache/cookies/history. sometimes, this gotta do something, like it'll refresh the voip.

4. quit firefox and reopen. if worse comes to worse, use this option. (not likely to help. too long a step.)

not seeing the download button? look here for downloading from a direct link.

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
~the mac mic and voip~

some macs have them, some don't. a microphone is all it takes to communicate on voip. whether you have a macbook or even an imac, no matter what you should be able to enjoy this function.

we all know ichat right? you know skype too? well, think of voip as being just like those applications. the first thing i want to point out is that you should totally check out this solutions from apple.

it's helpful, but sometimes and most times you will have to tweak your settings when you are using voip.

1. go to your system preferences.

User Image

2. click on speech.

User Image

3. click calibrate your microphone (internal mic or an input mic) adjust this until you think it looks good.

User Image

4. go back to the main system preferences and click on sound. adjust the input volume so that echoes and other noises may not be visible and your voice will be clear to your crew.

User Image

use these steps when you are with a crew. allow the crew to help you to know if you are loud and clear to them and they may ask the same to you.

as a bonus, go to the voip drop down menu in your apple bar and click on the "roster list." this list will show you who is talking in your crew and how much sound may be bouncing on your side of the screen.

User Image

you may also adjust a crew member's mic volume when you have the roster list open.

to do so, select a crew member from your roster. on a mac laptop, control+right click to view the dropdown info for the selected member. you will see "mute user for me" and "set user volume for me." you can now adjust the volume of the crew member's mic.

User Image

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
~additional questions/solutions/advice from users~

scully asks
i can't get push to talk to work, why won't it work? sad
use a two button key combo when using push to talk. just remember to use keys that are near each other so it will be easy to hit. also, being a noob to ptt and mmo games, i never realized two keys actually work. *d'oh.*

scully asks
what kind of internet connection do you have?
it is possible that your connection to the internet may cause problems with voip. it may keep you from logging in to voip. with cable/broadband, it is working fine. how is it working for you?

zomg users
the voip icon still appears gray and will not log me on even after following all the steps. why can't i log in?
right now i am trying to figure this out too. this is why i am asking the question before as well. (internet speed connection) anything could be keeping you from getting logged in. but the one thing that i have possibly forgotten to mention is to check your firewall settings. on page 2:
scully wrote
now, this part is for the computer itself.

go to your system preferences. select security (house with lock icon). go to the firewall tab and you should see a list of applications that will either have block/allow incoming connections. vivoxvoicemanager should be listed in this list. make this "allow".

Lobotryas
A couple of points:

• Firefox 3.5 is also supported. Basically all versions of Firefox 3.0+ should be supported.

• There is a bug in Tiger (OSX 10.4) that prevents people from moving the Vivox pop-up windows and entering keystrokes into these pop-ups. This prevents you from setting Push-To-Talk controls sad Hopefully Vivox will release an updated extension soon.

• If you are using Firewalls, you may have to unblock or forward additional ports to make sure Vivox is operating properly. These ports are: UDP port 5060, 5062 and 3478. Remember that Firewalls can be software (ex: Little Snitch) and hardware (ex: your router).

That's about all that comes to mind. I have been using the plugin on Firefox 3, 10.4.11 without any issues all weekend. Absolutely love this new addition.
lobotryas' mac is intel based.

Saphie Jewell
If you have trouble, right click on the Voice icon, (looks like a little ball), and choose Report an Issue. Include your email in the report if you want someone to get back to you.
this is true, but the only thing that has kept me from emailing vivox is that the zomg devs may know of the issue already. but if anyone does contact them and are given a solution, please share your information here please.

*NEW*
great adivce when using push to talk.
Kuzuan
Because of lag I recommend that you pause a second before talking AFTER you push your PTT shortcut or unmute. And pause a second after you finish speaking but before you mute or let go of the PTT shortcut.

Using PTT will spare your crew members hearing background noise... or breathing... or the klik-klak of your keyboard.

*NEW*
BellaCrane
I have a mac os x 10.5.2 and firefox 3.6 and I still get the message "does not support this version of fire fox" Wtf? What do I do?

Okay. It is a fact that it is not supported in that version of Firefox. This means you cannot use Vivox until they update their software or if you can downgrade Firefox to 3.5.8. I sent a question to Vivox about it so hopefully they will look into this and may answer the question on why it is not working. received email reply. refer to page 4

*NEW*
scullylam
Are there other ways to have Voip work on Firefox 3.6?

Yes there is. The only problem I have about it is that I have only one Mac and I am unable to try and test all these work arounds. But with information from other users, it can help if you are desperate to having Voip once again and do not want to downgrade your Firefox version.

Options:
1. Download and install the Vivox Voip for Facebook.
2. Install an extension "Nightly Tester Tools". <- sounds iffy to me
3. Update through Firefox.

Step 3 has instructions thanks to Cexil.
Cexil
Okay here are the directions to install Voip on 3.6. (Thanks iTamako for teaching the art of installing incompatible programs!)

1) Open a new tab
2) Type 'about:config' and click Yes I promise blah blah blah
3) On the page it should be a HUGE list of crap, just right click and click 'New' and select the boolean option.
4) Copy this in the box 'extensions.checkCompatibility.3.6' and select False
5) Install Voip! biggrin

If any of these work please let me know!

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
~screenie links~

this is for the original screenies. they are larger in size so if anyone cannot see some they can look at them here.

section one: installing voip
1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8

section two: voip work for you
1~2~3~4~5

section three: disconnected
1~2

section four: mic setup
1~2~3~4~5~6

original post
problems/help/info:

so you found yourself first logged in to zomg with voip but since you reloaded the window, you're now logged out of voip. what happened? how do i fix it?

first off, voip disconnects you when you are reloading and it should appear again when you get to the server screen. but, when you are on the server you want and it still stays logged off, what is the solution?

looking at this problem, it is best to exit out the entire zomg window. then you open zomg in a new screen. the icon should turn green again and you should be able to play again, even possibly not lose your crew if this is done fast enough.

the voip loads fully the first time you get on zomg. somewhere along the way it doesn't want to connect you even though you try everything. so, it is best to just exit out the window and try again.

what if this doesn't work at all? then, try clearing your cache, cookies, anything! even try closing firefox fully and then opening it back up again and log in to zomg.

~link out to great voip guides~
guide/faq for general voice chat & windows installation (pc)
zomg! chat help desk (detailed guide to voip for pc)
zomg! chat help desk tutorial via youtube (pc step by step installation and use of voip)
note on video: this also relates to a mac, layout of things are only different but installation and options are the same/similar.
voip plugin links thread (pc and mac voip)

~special thanks~

thanks dragoon-girl! ^_^
all zomg guide creators. <3
lobotryas.
saphie jewell.
sakura_madison. ^_^
kuzuan!!!! ^_^
noiseintheshadows. ^_^
thank you very much for this guide!!!

I have a little question- do other people have to have voip downloaded to hear you?

Vicious Nerd

10,600 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
tisue

I have a little question- do other people have to have voip downloaded to hear you?
Yes.

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
Valheita
tisue

Yes.

3nodding they have to install it to hear you. and you're welcome. sorry it still looks kinda bare. trying to straighten this all out and think i missed some things to screenie. xd
Wow, this sounds really useful. Good job! :3
I think it'll help a lot of people out.

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
thanks. ^_^

Shirtless Bibliophile

11,050 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Jack-pot 100
Thank you for posting this.

Sparkly Stalker

22,750 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0
you're welcome. (i'll fill it more out tomorrow. filling in a list of computers, screenies, etc.) *yawns* ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff