Welcome to Gaia! ::

Destructive Bunny

First post updated.

LabTech Kestin

I'm not sure about Bron's post, while it did give figures he wasn't sure about them, and the estimate was unconclusive. $3-4 million is a one million dollar difference. He is also no longer on the dev team. I was hoping HQ would give us number this time to compare with bron's but they obviously didn't.

Maybe he can clarify here.

bronstahd

I will say that if Gaia had put all its resources behind zOMG things would have absolutely gone differently. If that had happened either of two outcomes would have been possible: zOMG would have been huge or Gaia would have gone bankrupt years ago. It would have been a huge risk and I honestly can't say which is more likely so it would be unfair to blame them for hedging their bet. In retrospect perhaps an MMO was just the wrong type of project because the risk was too great. It would have been better to focus on a project they could fully commit to.

Now we have more information, only it's something that doesn't fit with either what HQ is saying or why swarf was saying. Thank you for providing some figures regardless. So 3-4mil is your estimation for zOMG's development and maintenance for the 4 years? I'm guessing it includes the outsourced graphics and such. Since staff did not work on zOMG constantly, Swarf mentioned that one year he only worked 4 month on zOMG, is that taken into account in your figures?

It's possible that zOMG costed a lot to develop and hasn't broken even yet, at the same time it's possible for yearly revenue to exceed the costs of a small team of devs + servers. Therefore won't it make sense for Gaia to continue providing support for zOMG so they can recoup their costs? They can hire new staff to make facebook games if they want to pursue that direction.

Saying that Gaia itself is broke isn't going to convince anybody, rig and ci items makes a killing. Which brings me to my last point, the only feature I've seen Gaia give their full attention to is avatar items, or more specifically cash shop avatar items.

Shy Businesswoman

*subscribes to topic && heart s* o3o

This is more serious then I thought...! >w<

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
I actually have to do something other than be on Gaia today (shudders....), but I wanted to quickly say thank you for an amazing Topic.
You've pretty much wrapped the entire issue up in one place and made it about as easy as it could possibly be for anyone with even the most casual interest in the subject to become fully informed.

Bravo!

On a personal note, why is this, and so many other prefectly reasonable Topics on the subject getting down votes?
Once, just once, I would like to see one of the drive-by down-voters explain themselves.

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Upvoted, tipped and linked this post in my GCD thread. Thank you for your effort.
I dont fully understand what is happening but.... Argh I'm with you matey's.....anyway i got my Pirate goin on Go zOMG

Cheery Bunny

15,150 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cheerbringer 100
Torrent_of_Ember
I dont fully understand what is happening but.... Argh I'm with you matey's.....anyway i got my Pirate goin on Go zOMG

Love the pirate outfit.
BrokenxBell
Torrent_of_Ember

Love the pirate outfit.

Thx yours is pretty spectacular as well xd

Destructive Bunny

/Plays the waiting game.

We should take bets on how long till we get answers on the BB tickets and glitches.
Starshine
/Plays the waiting game.

We should take bets on how long till we get answers on the BB tickets and glitches.

Who would be the one to take these bets and keep our money safe xd

Destructive Bunny

Torrent_of_Ember
Starshine
/Plays the waiting game.

I was thinking of betting in kitties gaia_kittenstar

5 kitties on that minor fixes will be put into place instead of BB refund gaia_kittenstar gaia_kittenstar gaia_kittenstar gaia_kittenstar gaia_kittenstar

Apocalyptic Streaker

17,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Streaker 200
Starshine
Torrent_of_Ember
Starshine
/Plays the waiting game.

5 kitties on that minor fixes will be put into place instead of BB refund gaia_kittenstar gaia_kittenstar gaia_kittenstar gaia_kittenstar gaia_kittenstar

Masquerade! Paper faces on parade. Masquerade!

gaia_kittenstar x9000 say that the major glitches will be left to continue on their rampages as smaller and not-so-crippling-to-game-play glitches are focused on more just because of the work involved.

Hide your face so the world will never find you.
Starshine
Torrent_of_Ember
Starshine
/Plays the waiting game.

awww thats to bad i am fresh out of kitties but i have plenty of smiles smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile says your right

Apocalyptic Bunny

13,100 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Heckler 50
  • Survivor 150
I feel like they just really don't get it.

I grew up in Seattle and as many gamer kids know Wizards of the Coast was located up here before they were bought out by Mattel. There was an AMAZING WotC HQ in the University District, right on the avenue. It had a shop to buy products, an arcade, a restaurant (that was great), a giant dragon hanging from a long all way down to the basement with one of the most amazing gaming areas you'd ever seen. People playing M:TG, others working on their V:TM and other table top characters for the meet ups at red square on the weekend. As well as a huge area with computers for people to play CS and any other group games you could dream of.

Now, the owner of WotC KNEW the HQ lost money. It always did. But he understood the need for it for the community. So it was never on the table for being scrapped. He understood how vital it was for the community to have this property and we all loved him for it. Some of my best memories from my kid-dom were centered there. My first like REAL crush (god he was gorgeous), the friends I'd made, the games I'd played, the parties I'd had there. The owner of WotC looked past the cost, and saw these things, and appreciated their value. Back then, it was harder to find community the way we do online these days, and this was a very special place.

When Mattel bought WotC out the first thing they did was close the HQ. And the gaming community in Seattle was all the more poor for it. We became the WotC diaspora all over the community not sure what to do or where to go. It had been a really beautiful period for all of us and it was unfortunate that this massive conglomerate was able to come in and take that away.

I kind of feel like this is happening all over again, and it's kind of heartbreaking.

Rogue

awesome! this is so needed

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas