Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
So, after close to six months of playing DMS almost every day, and having burned my way through more Superchargers than I care to think about, I was in a Crew tonight with a person who told us all not to use our chargers because they stole aggro.
She was our Heal Tank, and got really ticked when anyone used a charger unless they were almost dead because she claimed we were stealing her aggro.

Like I said, I've been playing DMS since it opened, and I've been to both of Kam's forms with a lot of pretty excellent and experienced players, and not once has any of them suggested that using chargers would steal the Tank's aggro.
Probably because it never happened.

Anyways, after a couple hours and having completed only 5 Green Rooms, I got so tired of spending more time rebuilding my Stamina than attacking/healing/catting, that I pressed the issue with her.

And she quit.
And took her friend with her.

So much for my all-nighter.

So my question is this....does using Superchargers steal aggro?
The only way I can think of it having any impact on aggro, is that I do get to attack a lot, and use my debuff or cc a lot, but I don't think even going full out, that I should be able to steal aggro from a good Heal Tank.

Am I wrong?

Omnipresent Warlord

WideEyed
So, after close to six months of playing DMS almost every day, and having burned my way through more Superchargers than I care to think about, I was in a Crew tonight with a person who told us all not to use our chargers because they stole aggro.
She was our Heal Tank, and got really ticked when anyone used a charger unless they were almost dead because she claimed we were stealing her aggro.

Like I said, I've been playing DMS since it opened, and I've been to both of Kam's forms with a lot of pretty excellent and experienced players, and not once has any of them suggested that using chargers would steal the Tank's aggro.
Probably because it never happened.

Anyways, after a couple hours and having completed only 5 Green Rooms, I got so tired of spending more time rebuilding my Stamina than attacking/healing/catting, that I pressed the issue with her.

And she quit.
And took her friend with her.

So much for my all-nighter.

So my question is this....does using Superchargers steal aggro?
The only way I can think of it having any impact on aggro, is that I do get to attack a lot, and use my debuff or cc a lot, but I don't think even going full out, that I should be able to steal aggro from a good Heal Tank.

Am I wrong?

You're partially wrong and partially right. Superchargers do not steal aggro or gain aggro in any way when used. They do, however, let you attack and heal more because they give you more stamina and that builds hate points.

Can you steal aggro from me using chargers? Again, yes and no, depending on your role. If you were y backup heal and healing nonstop then you'd steal at most maybe half the room. As an attacker? You'd take a few monsters at a time, the ones you would be attacking. Would this hinder me in any way? Not really.

Prismatic Unicorn

76,950 Points
  • Fairy bread fancier 500
  • Just A Regular User 500
  • Wing Mastery 100
Zzyli - Zzy as in Xylophone, Li as in leaf

Pretty much what Omni said. If the tank themselves didn't want to use chargers for whatever sort of thing you were doing, I can see why they may ask you not to do this. It doesn't directly steal aggro (as you aren't doing damage or using healing rings or any other rings with fixed hate values), but it does enable you to do more of whatever you are doing, potentially leading to an aggro switch.

If attempting to tank Bloodlust Kam the not quite as expensive way, I will ask my attackers to not use chargers to reduce the chances of them stealing my aggro, except during the bat waves, when they can do what they like blaugh . Even there, an attacker taking aggro isn't the end of the run if people keep their heads, but it can be a nuisance.

Accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative...

Rainbow Hunter

Thanks for bringing this up, WideEyed, and thanks Omni and Zzyli for the clear answers. I have indeed also run into a few people in DMS who seemed to be under the impression that the points healed by using supercharger counted as healing points towards aggro, in other word, that the very healing by supercharger itself caused hate points. I was practically sure that this wasn't correct, but I'm glad to see it spelled out like this. 3nodding

I'm sorry to hear your evening was ruined though, WideEyed! confused It's really not cool that that person just stormed out because you tried to discuss something.

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Omnileech

Zzyli

Thank you both for your answers. smile
I was actually pretty concerned about how things turned out, as I'm not usually at the centre of any Crew drama, and I thought I had a pretty solid handle on the whole aggro thing.
I have this nasty habit of reading the Guides, and from what I read, there just seemed to be no way I could steal a Tank's aggro, what with the huge aggro that Heals generate, and the fact that I work one monster at a time, with no AOE, and usually only Heal when I see someone is getting down in their HP.
You're probably right in suggesting that our Tank didn't want to use Chargers herself, and I can see where that would make her able to heal less often, therefore making it more difficult to maintain her aggro with an active Crew.
I know I certainly burned through my Stamina quickly, and spent way more time gasping for breath than I'm used to.
I think what kind or tore it for her and me was when we entered a room and immdiately had 3 Wolves and a couple of Vamps lay into us right at the door.
After the first person Dazed and the rest of us were getting beaten on pretty hard, I went back to my normal style of play and attacked like mad, burning Chargers all the while.
Once we had recovered and cleared the room, the Tank said "See? That's what happens when you use Chargers" and bailed.
It just goes to show you how different perspective's can be, because to my way of thinking, the fact that we recovered was a good thing, and showed how valuable Chargers are in Green Rooms.

Perhaps we're going to need to add yet another "style" of DMS to he list...."DMS Frugal"! wink

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Memory Haunts You
Thanks for bringing this up, WideEyed, and thanks Omni and Zzyli for the clear answers. I have indeed also run into a few people in DMS who seemed to be under the impression that the points healed by using supercharger counted as healing points towards aggro, in other word, that the very healing by supercharger itself caused hate points. I was practically sure that this wasn't correct, but I'm glad to see it spelled out like this. 3nodding

I'm sorry to hear your evening was ruined though, WideEyed! confused It's really not cool that that person just stormed out because you tried to discuss something.

Me too.
To both points. wink
I had actually made up my mind to pull an all nighter last night, because Friday's are the only time I could possibly do that, and a Friend just happened to be starting a Kam run.
Progress through Green is usually pretty slow at best, but by imposing the handicap of running Chargerless, the pace was simply glacial, and we even had a few Dazes when we probably shouldn't have.
While I sympathise with our Tank in the respect that Chargers do cost either Gold or GC, and not everybody has the resources to burn through them all willy nilly, I hate having to "pace" myself, and have always gone all out in DMS.
Heck, I even use them in my Thursday Yellow Maze Crew with RafiCat, simply for the reason that we only have a couple hours to play together in our Crew, and Chargers equal speed in DMS, so we get as much done, in as little time as possible.
I'm pretty sure I've never stolen Rafi's aggro. wink

When she initailly brought up the subject, I briefly explained my understanding, but figured I could be wrong, and played along. But when things got hairy, there was no way I was going to see us all die again without at least using my Chargers and going out fighting.
Once she made her statement about "This is what happens", I pointed out that we just recovered from being mobbed, and told her that I had never heard of a Crew running with a mandatory no-charger policy, and that I had never had a problem with stealing aggro before.
When she didn't answer, I though my argument had finally swayed her.
Then she fell off the Crew Panel. rofl
Oh well. wink

Neophyte Sex Symbol

10,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
Ok my opinion on chargers:

They do up your stamina, which allows you to attack more. More stamina = more attacking = higher chances of stealing aggro.

FYI, I was the one who stormed off and not just because of WideEyed using chargers. There were other reasons for my leaving.

Anyways, I prefer to save chargers until dying because then I can finish healing myself. I will also use a charger right after a revive, because my health is low.

Another thing, using revives to unlock rings is a bit retarded in my eyes, again my opinion. Mostly because it takes 4 to unlock all rings and each pack only has 25 each.

All this is mostly my opinions. I have a certain tanking style and I would like if people would listen to me when I ask them not to do certain things. I try and work my style around what the crew is like.

Popular Friend

ReavertheOriginalPlayboy
Ok my opinion on chargers:

They do up your stamina, which allows you to attack more. More stamina = more attacking = higher chances of stealing aggro.

FYI, I was the one who stormed off and not just because of WideEyed using chargers. There were other reasons for my leaving.v

Anyways, I prefer to save chargers until dying because then I can finish healing myself. I will also use a charger right after a revive, because my health is low.

Another thing, using revives to unlock rings is a bit retarded in my eyes, again my opinion. Mostly because it takes 4 to unlock all rings and each pack only has 25 each.

All this is mostly my opinions. I have a certain tanking style and I would like if people would listen to me when I ask them not to do certain things. I try and work my style around what the crew is like.

Would you mimd telling us why you and your friend left?

Neophyte Sex Symbol

10,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
II Verda II

yes I would

Fluffy Werewolf

15,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Hunter 50
  • The Wolf Within 100
Well this is good stuff for me to know, as I'm still relatively new to dms, as well for others. I'll keep this in mind next time I have superchargers.

Popular Friend

ReavertheOriginalPlayboy
II Verda II

yes I would

Ahem,,,, Now?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items