Welcome to Gaia! ::

Head count

+1 1 100.0% [ 30 ]
Total Votes:[ 30 ]
1 2 >

Pirra-chan's Significant Otter

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

From here

First off... This was done before. In a way that it was CERTAIN DOOM to fail, and I really never got why they bothered making them that way in first place.

They had announcements shown to everyone on the site. Even those who obviously, couldn't care because they were busy on the forums.

The announcements should have restricted themselves as "in-server" so that there would be both more people playing each, making the mini-events not a complete waste of the participant's time and server computations; and so that people on other servers wouldn't keep jumping around servers like mad men when they'd get an announcement to another server. Also, it'd give a reason for people to BE in-game. And would definitely help with some of the least "acquirable" permanent badges, such as, Otami mini-event's.

Now how to do this?

Well, first off, while the code for zOMG! might be a huge mess, from all our initial experience of stuff getting broken where others got fixed, I never get tired to point out what's already there.
And since there used to be global announcement on the main site, there's obviously not just a way for a server to identify that a mini-event is happening, it also has a way to communicate it to other parts of the site's structure as well. Makes me believe that mini-event announcements were planned from the ground up. How much handiwork would be identifying and changing that code, well, it's anyone's guess.

Now, how to perform this without bothering anyone? I know that, even as a in-server thing, no one fighting EB would like to know a bunch of Hive Aliens are breaking loose, with a huge announcement on the top of the screen. Everyone would even hate the look of the messages under the horn if there were 3 mini-events under it, and they were interested in only one of them.

keep it simple: Just a little message in red, kinda like the system announcements. In fact, why not make it a system announcement?
They're discreet, the sound they make is minimal, and usually, no one misses them, as the color stands out among the rest of the colored chat. And no, they would not pop-up on everyone's screen, just on the chat.

So basically, this is the gist of the suggestion:

Quote:
[system]: A "Bug Breakout" mini-event is starting in the Old Aqueduct.

Now... tell me...

Bad idea: Why?

Mega Hoarder

good idea, and obvious. You'd think they would have already had this. rolleyes

Fashionable Hunter

7,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
I like this idea although I never usually participate in these events. But then it comes into question if all the layers on the server have the event too. And this would probably have to be excluded from special events (i.e. GE) because of lag issues of everyone on the server running to who knows where....

Perfect Saint

Sounds good. Maybe a notification for ongoing events in the screen where you choose servers?

Mega Hoarder

Myrielle
Sounds good. Maybe a notification for ongoing events in the screen where you choose servers?

also a good idea, but possibly harder to implement.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Myrielle

Hey, that's something else that bothered me. Te server list is just that, but has a feel that more stuff could be there.

We have this scrolling text over the server list that is somewhat useless given that what it says is also on the left, which could have more automatically generated flavor text insead. And lots of space to work with. Hell remember the "friends playing" list?
Definitely space to work there.

Perfect Saint

Quintafeira12
Myrielle

Hey, that's something else that bothered me. Te server list is just that, but has a feel that more stuff could be there.

We have this scrolling text over the server list that is somewhat useless given that what it says is also on the left, which could have more automatically generated flavor text insead. And lots of space to work with. Hell remember the "friends playing" list?
Definitely space to work there.

True. Very under-utilized as a feature altogether.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Come on lucid, I want Fiddler and Censor roles already!

On-topic: Bump!

Benevolent Codger

Quintafeira12
On-topic: Bump!

Good thinking! sweatdrop

I know I never bothered coming in and showing support the first time this was out, but there's not really a lot to add to it. It makes a remarkable amount of sense as-is, and I'm sincerely hoping there's a good chance that it gets implemented, ere long... 3nodding

Invisible Visionary

17,050 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
The only thing i could add would be a checkbox in the options menu to turn them on and off..
other than that, its a really great idea!

Perfect Bloodsucker

17,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Threadmaster 200
thats a damn good idea biggrin

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Tarot Rune
The only thing i could add would be a checkbox in the options menu to turn them on and off..
other than that, its a really great idea!

Like with EVERY intrusive feature (except heavy breathing): of course!

I'm not the one responsible for making the promises though.
I'm a little bit of a selfish player. With events like the Clutch Fly By thing, I would be disappointed, just because there would definitely be less for the picking. Same for the Grucken ones. That little thing shouldn't really matter though. For the events in Otami, Gold Beach, and the Old Aqueduct, I would love it.

The only thing I would propose is having the alerts only go to the areas that are HIGHER than whatever place has the event. I would be rather annoyed if an influx of Bassken people came to the Otami area and kept stepping in that little area that spawns Terrors. I would also be a little irritated if people from Zen came into Bassken and Buzz Kill ate their souls quickly so it was constantly warping.
Idk. Just something to consider.

Edit: But idk even about that proposal myself, because that means that the only place that would get the Otami announcement would be SS... and Otami definitely needs to pull people from a larger source than SS. Maybe send out the announcement by CL instead? (/needs to think things through before typing.)

And different layers tend to have the same event and they generally start around the same time. They don't begin simultaneously. Sometimes, after I finish the P3 Event, I go into the Null and come back out, then I'm in another layer with the event having 2 minutes left. So, people might head to that area but either A)not have the event triggered yet, even thought it might begin in 10minuts or B)Just catch the tail end of it.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

Oh, I'm bumping this because I'm bored.

I can't believe I don't recall reading iKally's reply.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff