Welcome to Gaia! ::

AlKanzel
Teenage Mischief
it's not lag, its a server slowdown

lag is a connection slowdown.

just thought i'd throw that out there..

I don't even bother correcting them anymore. It's like trying to teach a Walrus how to tap dance.

If you want my advice, just smile, nod your head, and try not to hit them with anything.

stare Oh spare me. Splitting hairs about calling it "Lag" is almost as annoying as the people who get into the "Noob vs Newb" debate. People commonly refer to ANY slow down as "lag". It's like calling any insect a "bug" when in reality, only certain kinds are actually classified as bugs.

Call it what you what you will, it is still irritating as hell.

That being said, I appreciate your earlier response, it was very informative. 3nodding

Aged Noob

Melinda Halliwell
Teenage Mischief

Sometimes it can be lag. I have lag on mine (XP with IE6; I got rid of Vista), while my sister running Vista with IE7/8 runs the game with no problem. My laptop is newer than hers and there's like nothing on it.

Uh.

*nods head and smiles* :3

I'm not holding a brick behind my back.

2,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Teenage Mischief

Sometimes it can be lag. I have lag on mine (XP with IE6; I got rid of Vista), while my sister running Vista with IE7/8 runs the game with no problem. My laptop is newer than hers and there's like nothing on it.

Aged Noob

Teenage Mischief

I don't even bother correcting them anymore. It's like trying to teach a Walrus how to tap dance.

If you want my advice, just smile, nod your head, and try not to hit them with anything.

Aged Noob

Bladeglory
AlKanzel
The game should run as intended for a couple of minutes after you first log in after starting it up. If you're still having problems during that time it has absolutely nothing to do with the game's memory issue, and it instead has everything to do with your PC.

Whenever I load up the game it runs smoothly, then over the course of two hours it turns into Captain Stutterhouse versus the Death By Lag Brigade.

WHY the hell they have to go with Flash of all mediums for an online game is completely beyond me. It's like they want the majority of Gaia's population to run it like complete a**.

That's just it. They want zOMG! to be runnable by everybody, on just about every device.

It's contradictory. Flash is poorly optimized even for a high-end system because even in its latest rendition it's nothing more than a software rendering program with a hardware "buffer", if you could even call it that. It's nothing like how a D3D or an OpenGL app operates. Since it uses primarily software it's really only using your CPU to determine performance.

The younger players on Gaia typically use a family computer that has a mediocre CPU at best, usually a celeron-series in recent years thanks to Dell and similar companies(bleh). They run Flash apps like garbage unless you crank down the quality, and even then you can still have problems.

The hilarious part is that those low-end family "budget" PC's still usually come equipped with an on-board 64MB video card that supports D3D or OpenGL; if they had designed it like a more traditional game it would still be roughly as accessible as it is now, they'd have fewer application issues, and it would run better than the Flash version even on the bare minimum system requirements.

I understand they began making this quite a few years ago, but it was pretty damn obvious to anyone with a brain how quickly computer technology was progressing. They easily could have stepped up to the plate with fewer issues.
Fennec Dreamer
That makes sence *nods* But lag kills whee

Quite literally, whenever there are more than two players or three enemies on the screen everything just runs to s**t and I can't see what's going on. I've died more times than I can count because I was innocently sitting in an area where one or two gnomes spawn at a time and some yahoo comes running through trailing Captain Calamity or whoever and his brigade of six ankle biters and for some reason they all have to latch onto me and before I even realize what's going on, because it's all in slow mo while they kill me and the whole system is three seconds ahead, I'm dead and need to re-awaken!

6,950 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
That makes sence *nods* But lag kills whee

Shy Werewolf

AlKanzel
The game should run as intended for a couple of minutes after you first log in after starting it up. If you're still having problems during that time it has absolutely nothing to do with the game's memory issue, and it instead has everything to do with your PC.

Whenever I load up the game it runs smoothly, then over the course of two hours it turns into Captain Stutterhouse versus the Death By Lag Brigade.

WHY the hell they have to go with Flash of all mediums for an online game is completely beyond me. It's like they want the majority of Gaia's population to run it like complete a**.

That's just it. They want zOMG! to be runnable by everybody, on just about every device.

Aged Noob

I am also having a quite severe so-called "lag". I am glad they are fixing it... I can't even play because I can't move. Or see any avatar at all. Empty Barton is empty. Even if it's supposed to have 650 people in there.
And as Q has stated, it's not lag, it's a memory leakage. It should get better, depending on the server, your internet, and how you hold your mouth. Good luck!!! whee
SheenaFujibayashi#1
What does lag mean?

Lag's a network slowdown, meaning longer load times for everything. gonk

Clan Otori's Super Medic. Yep!
What does lag mean?
I read Q's sticky about the lag... That's good news, but how much better will the game run when it is fixed? Because it runs REALLY poorly for me right now. sad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff