Welcome to Gaia! ::

You mean "3rd person" doesn't refer to a menage a troi?

Distinct Warlord

Toisam
You mean "3rd person" doesn't refer to a menage a troi?

Nope. That will be lame online.

pd: The idea of Sex Ring cross my head xd
I love to see a game with multiple camera views like 1st person and overhead camera. Now that we have talked about 2nd person, I think it would be fun to see it tried in the right kind of game since I've never seen it done before..
first person is yourself, and 2nd person is the person "you" are interacting with's view
so second person view would be like.... view from the enemy/ally your attacking/talking with
Platonix
Yeah. First person = "me", second person = "you", third person = "he"/"she"/"it".

So a second-person fighting game would have you viewing the game world through the eyes of the guy you're beating up.

That would be so cool!
SR-StickEm
Platonix
Yeah. First person = "me", second person = "you", third person = "he"/"she"/"it".

So a second-person fighting game would have you viewing the game world through the eyes of the guy you're beating up.

That would be so cool!

Not really, the camera view would keep switching around and it would be hell to control.

Although it would be interesting to see as one of those quirky experimental flash games.
FlameOfEternity
SR-StickEm
Platonix

That would be so cool!

Not really, the camera view would keep switching around and it would be hell to control.

Although it would be interesting to see as one of those quirky experimental flash games.

I said it would be cool, I didn't say it would work! You're right though.

Aged Informer

One way to make it simi-work would be to split the view area into multiple 2nd person views. I could see this working, story wise, in a game where the main character is a mind reader. It would be extremely disorienting until you got used to it.

What I'm saying is that you have a 1st and 2nd person option in the game. Activate the 'mind reading' power and you enter 2nd person mode were you see what the NPCs in the nearby area are seeing. Tie additional attack dodging or sneaking mechanics to that view and you'd have one fairly trippy game.

Another more 2nd/3rd person combo would be to view world and your character's interaction in it through the eyes of trailing familiar or fairy companion. A good story rational is that the main character is blind. There are possibly amusing sequences that can be done in that style.

I guess a real example of a pure 2nd person game would be kind of your classic escaping prisoner game, were the viewpoint is from camera mounts. Or perhaps taking a multifaceted view of someone looking at a bank of video mounts for those cameras.

A 2nd person game could be done, and done well. It comes down to how creative you get with view points.
Brasten
One way to make it simi-work would be to split the view area into multiple 2nd person views. I could see this working, story wise, in a game where the main character is a mind reader. It would be extremely disorienting until you got used to it.

What I'm saying is that you have a 1st and 2nd person option in the game. Activate the 'mind reading' power and you enter 2nd person mode were you see what the NPCs in the nearby area are seeing. Tie additional attack dodging or sneaking mechanics to that view and you'd have one fairly trippy game.

Another more 2nd/3rd person combo would be to view world and your character's interaction in it through the eyes of trailing familiar or fairy companion. A good story rational is that the main character is blind. There are possibly amusing sequences that can be done in that style.

I guess a real example of a pure 2nd person game would be kind of your classic escaping prisoner game, were the viewpoint is from camera mounts. Or perhaps taking a multifaceted view of someone looking at a bank of video mounts for those cameras.

A 2nd person game could be done, and done well. It comes down to how creative you get with view points.

You know that's a very good idea.

Having the 2nd person view as a power or ability would add a very interesting edge to a game. Although it wouldn't really work in an MMORPG unless carefully done.
... did you ever see a mmorpg with 1st person view? never. rpg maybe, but never mmorpg. here, i am talking about those with huge world map.

Aged Informer

Well that's because 3rd person allows the players to view their character acting, which makes things seem more dramatic. There are several MMO projects underway that are starting to look at using more 1st person views. Darkfall comes close, at least they say so, save for a 3rd person view when you close for melee combat.

There has yet to be a serious MMOFPS but I would expect them down the line. Battle Field 2142 is almost that, requiring 'points' to unlock better gear, a.k.a. experience and levels. All it would take is a larger constant battle field on an active server, with multiple fronts and side missions. Boom you have your MMOFPS/RPG. Darkhorizons Lore would be a MMOFPS with mecha instead of humanoid characters I guess. It doesn't take much imagination to apply a 'leveling/rank' system to it and create a role playing element.

But none of that really applies to the Gaia Battle system, which needs to 3rd person so we can enjoy the full glory of our Avatars in combat. mrgreen

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0

This thread has apparently provoked
all kinds of thoughts and ideas
that it hadn't intended to.
xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items