Welcome to Gaia! ::

DISCLAIMER: Wearing a Katana does not make you a kick-a**, gravity defying Samurai. Complaints? File them with the Director.

First of all: stop complaing. Yes, you're complaining. The humdrum babble of the Ring Opposers is no longer feedback, it's become forum rot.

Seoncd: Rings are coming and everything being done on the Dev team is facilitating that. They're putting a s**t load of work into the current system and to reverse now is counter-productive and, more over, stupid.

But here are further reasons why you should simpy sit down and, stop complaining about it.

Defense of the Rings System and the Justification of it's creation

One. There are no RPG industry standards.

No one creating a game they call an RPG is obligated to use weapons. It isn't a federal offense, stop treating it like one.

Two. The art and animation would be difficult to produce.

The avatars, and the weapons they hold are pixel based. The BS, from screenshots, is Vector based. The contrast would be disgusting.

Disembodied attacks flying out of your avatar, however, will look more native to the type of graphics the BS will have. Not to mention, from my understanding, they are quicker and more easily created.

Three. It's already been decided.

See above.

This has been a decision made to preserve the individual feel of the Gaian avatars. No one, in this way, is being forced or even being suggested to that they should change their avatar in anyway. The battlers do not needs to dress as such.

Four. This is a work of the Devs, not your own.

YOU try making an RPG, an MMO, none the less.

It's. Hard. Work.

Five. It's more original, less flawed.

Maigc casters please think for one second: how often are you going to be swinging your overly-large stick anyway?

As for all other manner of fighting Gaians:

The weapons system has long since been outdated, yes, I said it. Weapons are acquired, equipped, and become obsolete. A low-level sword imbued with the element of fire will only be useful in some areas against some enemies, end of story. It's nice to have but eventually, it becomes one less space you have to carry other things.

Straight up abilities, one's that can be strengthed over time, however, do not loose their oomph, especially if they are leveling up with you. The Ring system will leave alot of room for many different styles of play. It won't be jaded either: Every RPG i've ever played there has always been a BEST. There may be still be a best, but I suspect the line will be more blurred.

In short: Yes I undersand the outrage, but get over it. This is simply a new endeavor and it has been done before. Many RPGs change around how character go about attacking and using items. And they have been tremendously successful.

Moreover, should you really still want to complain, do it cordially. No one has to listen to your advice.

Rings are Weapons.

Orpheus
Mylian
It's even better than this thread first claimed.

Rings Are Coming, and They ARE Weapons. Not just in the "dictionary definition" sense, but in the actual hacky slashy sense.

User Image True that. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, a weapon is:

Main Entry: 1weap·on
Pronunciation: 'we-p&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English wepen, from Old English w[AE]pen; akin to Old High German wAffan weapon, Old Norse vApn
1 : something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
2 : a means of contending against another

Rings are used to injure enemies, defeat them and/or destroy them. It's the means by which we will fight against them and against each other.

Rings are, in this case, weapons.
Thank you, sir, for posting everything that has been said in defense of rings in one easy to access thread. This is not sarcasm. It's not like any anti-ring weapon-mongers will listen to anything you say, though...
I hate the fact that people say the battle system will suck.. if they don't like it they shouldn't play it and I mean come on.... Gaia works on more then just the battle system they work on the errors in gaia to.. D: and making a game like that to fit gaias style would be hard... I mean come on you have to admit that a game with really high graphics and junk would be odd on this =S
Yay, some people have common sense. biggrin

Some people refuse to accept the truth, that weapons would be too difficult to animate (weapon owner speaking here); obviously, our avatars were not made to swing swords or clubs. Anyway, I would much rather have the ring system, as it's more unique than, well, almost every other RPG out there with weapons.

...Good luck getting the weapon-wielders to listen... gonk

5,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
Yeah. Very good. Also, for weapons to be feasible in the first place, Gaia developers would have to make a drastic update on the avatar system and coding and such. It could take days, weeks, most likely months to do. Maybe even years. And it may require a temporary close-up of Gaia.

The avatars cannot be animated in their current forms. Not a complex animation such as a sword swing. You would have to make every possible avatar a single animation just for a simple swing. And there are near infinite avater set-ups. There's no way the developers could make weapons work at this time.
people who agree with me
thattagen
Thank you, sir, for posting everything that has been said in defense of rings in one easy to access thread. This is not sarcasm. It's not like any anti-ring weapon-mongers will listen to anything you say, though...

You're quite welcome sir.

We'll try though.
Thank you, It's good to see actual intelligent people on gaia. (I just hope they have energy blasts, how wicked would it be to fire those from a guitar?) I'm actually glad that gaia is doing something different, I get really tired of swinging a sword/ axe. Plus, the richer people won't have an advantage now.
No doubt I would look badass swinging my doll around, I think rings open many unique paths. In one instance, you're using magic. You leveled all the lightning skills. The Lightning Fluff comes on and it's immune to thunder-type. OH s**t RUN! Here, The worries are removed.Just take off the Lght2* Ring and put on Flre1* Ring. Then cast Prtct3* on yourself and kill it!

*This is a joke for those of you who played old games, where there was no room to put a full 'Lightning' 'Flare' And flre1=Flare Prtct=Protectaga
DonCacti
Thank you, It's good to see actual intelligent people on gaia. (I just hope they have energy blasts, how wicked would it be to fire those from a guitar?) I'm actually glad that gaia is doing something different, I get really tired of swinging a sword/ axe. Plus, the richer people won't have an advantage now.
I'm tempted to say "DOWN WITH RICHES!" but that would be completely un-American.

But all I think they want is a little extra power boost for their money. Not an actual sword swinging animation. Like their weapons would give them some sort of stat boost or something. I would want that. Take it from a Indian cat ninja like me.

Space Man-Lover

12,350 Points
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Party Member 100
  • Hellraiser 500
It is nice to see some support for the rings for once and some facts. Gaia is doing the rings end of story.

5,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
General-Lee-Fishcake
No doubt I would look badass swinging my doll around, I think rings open many unique paths. In one instance, you're using magic. You leveled all the lightning skills. The Lightning Fluff comes on and it's immune to thunder-type. OH s**t RUN! Here, The worries are removed.Just take off the Lght2* Ring and put on Flre1* Ring. Then cast Prtct3* on yourself and kill it!

*This is a joke for those of you who played old games, where there was no room to put a full 'Lightning' 'Flare' And flre1=Flare Prtct=Protectaga

Haha! You can still see this today in the Mega Man Battle Network Series, but that's not what this is about.

You do have a good point. The rings will allow you to focus on a strength and cover a weakness with fairly weaker rings. Although you can't actually remove a weakpoint. The developers did say that trying to cover your weaknesses would cause penalties. Likely your weakness would be stats in that case. But that's only an assumption.
Saito Muramasa X
General-Lee-Fishcake

Haha! You can still see this today in the Mega Man Battle Network Series, but that's not what this is about.

You do have a good point. The rings will allow you to focus on a strength and cover a weakness with fairly weaker rings. Although you can't actually remove a weakpoint. The developers did say that trying to cover your weaknesses would cause penalties. Likely your weakness would be stats in that case. But that's only an assumption.

Yes, and opening up possibilities for X-casting, Fusion of 2 rings, or things like the 'Cards' in Ragnarok online.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff