Welcome to Gaia! ::

Archus Elf's Partner

Giver

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So a kiter friend of mine keeps saying that r4 Slash is "bad" due to the fact that
"it hits everything which makes everything hit her which makes her loose more health"
Mostly, she gets annoyed at raged Slash when there are bats in a room.

My counter argument is that r1 Slash can hit just as many monsters as r4 when angled correctly.

So here's my question - is r4 Slash really that bad?
(In regards to hitting bats only)
Because if so, what is the point of bringing Slash at all?

Heroic Risk-Taker

15,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
Arche Elf

So a kiter friend of mine keeps saying that r4 Slash is "bad" due to the fact that
"it hits everything which makes everything hit her which makes her loose more health"

My counter argument is that r1 Slash can hit just as many monsters as r4 when angled correctly.

"loose more health" I stopped reading after that. Fix yer grammar kiddo. talk2hand

Archus Elf's Partner

Giver

Lady Trombone
"loose more health" I stopped reading after that. Fix yer grammar kiddo. talk2hand

Lol, that was an exact quote from her. I just changed "me" to "her"
(Hence the quotation marks)

Pshh, not like you'd give much in-put in GR stuff :B

Tipsy Sweetheart

15,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Divorced 100
Arche Elf

Well to answer your question, r4 Slash is quite bad when there are a tonne of bats. If you end up hitting like 8 bats they all attack at once and the health spike is terrifying. At the same time, keep in mind that some kites can handle it better than others. I, personally don't like it overly much but r4 Slash> HF at all.

As for the point of bringing Slash at all, it's good when you have a smaller set of bats/tank rooms in the end, slash is still an attack.

I hope this helps you. heart

Generous Fairy

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Your friend is a moron. Pay no mind. R4 slash can also do more damage, it's not just the range.

Rogue

It depends on the kiter itself, the quality of the internet the kiter has and the room you guys are in. If the kiter has laggy net, s/he will suddenly see sudden drop in her/his health and it will go back to how well she handles it

but personally speaking, as a dpser, I like R4 slash. More monsters get hit and more damage can be done.

Rogue

Wellllllllllll if the kite actually rages sand and catches most of the BBats, it won't really matter cus she shouldn't be running through them >>.
I've heard people say R4 HF makes them flip, but slash too? I've never noticed o.o
and I just tell my dpsers to rage whatever they want, my computer can handle RR4 FRs and HFs, whatever helps you clear a room fastest, do it.
But I agree @ that wtf-logic. r1 has the potential to hit just as many bats, pls brain emotion_zombie

Archus Elf's Partner

Giver

casscatx
Miyaka Hana
Leasfy
2Del

xd Thanks for all the replies! Now I feel reassured that all those other crews I r4 Slash in, I'm not killing our kite.

Regarding my kiter friend... I don't know if I will ever bother to fight with her about it.
She says that even r1 hotfoot lags her, so I don't know why she would even see the r4 Slash.
[I would assume she should've turned off her crew animations when kiting to lessen lag]

And I still r4 Slash in the crew... but I do it behind the rock pillars. ninja
[So not as often as for her to notice]

Generous Fairy

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Arche Elf
casscatx
Miyaka Hana
Leasfy
2Del

xd Thanks for all the replies! Now I feel reassured that all those other crews I r4 Slash in, I'm not killing our kite.

Regarding my kiter friend... I don't know if I will ever bother to fight with her about it.
She says that even r1 hotfoot lags her, so I don't know why she would even see the r4 Slash.
[I would assume she should've turned off her crew animations when kiting to lessen lag]

And I still r4 Slash in the crew... but I do it behind the rock pillars. ninja
[So not as often as for her to notice]

Psh, must be a new kite. xD I've never heard of something saying not to r4 slash before lmao. They must think they're gonna die if someone lands a crit on one bat. emotion_awesome

Questionable Phantom

13,900 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elocutionist 200
There is some truth regarding the concerns of your friend, but I find the AOE of Slash manageable (Contrary to my initial opinion of Slash in the Green Maze) - ultimately, the rewards far outweigh the risks.

As for the size-differences of the AOE of Slash r1 - Slash r4 - I do not find them significant. Ideally, DPS units in GR should bring no heals and devote most (If not all) of their rage meter to either r4 Hack or Slash, as those are the optimal means of utilizing rage towards additional DPS

Having said this, I often notify my offensive units in a crew (If I am performing the tanking role) in advance to hold back on using Slash in rooms with 3+ sets of Blood Bats and a NF.
I find that even one infliction of fear from a NF can prove fatal if enough Bats are present.

BDs aren't so much of an issue, provided that my bu can Kite for the sake of their own safety until my root ailment wears off.

Hot-foot on the other hand, is a serious liability to a Kiter.
Monsters in DMS are programmed to attack their target player when they remain within their attack range for a set period of time, or immediately upon receiving damage if their target player is within range.

Hot-foot inflicts damage to monsters slowly over time, in turn placing them in an "excited" state in which they are prone to attack the Kiter (or whichever player who is their current target) without hesitation.

Unlike Slash, Hot-foot has a potentially very large AOE, lackluster DPS, and tendency to generate significant amounts of lag for some players.
Hot-foot is useful in BL battles for specific reasons, but not for the Green Maze.

If you would like a better understanding of the behavioral patterns of the monsters in DMS, this video I uploaded several months ago may help (somewhat...):
-If you pay close attention, you will notice my Health Points spike several times after using Heavy Water Balloon (When I am too close to the monsters) -
The Big Dog attacked me only once at 2:47 in response to the AOE damage of HWB (Fortunately he didn't root me emotion_awesome ) -

TLDR; I'd recommend comprising with your friend now while encouraging them to accept Slash, the AOE of Slash doesn't differ much between Rage Ranks, AOE attack rings may be particularly problematic when used near NFs and BDs, Hot-foot is bad in the Green Maze, I apologize if my TLDR post is excessive in length.

TasteChaos's King

Duck

Oh! I was once lectured on me bringing Fire Rain as a BU.
They said the exact same thing, when they get hit the first thing they do is attack the person with most aggro, the Kite. If it's 4 bats it's easily out healed, but if you do it with 20 bats and they all hit the Kite, he may not, or barely survive. Same principe with Quicksand, Hot Foot, Slash, etc.

When I was told I started paying attention to that and I did infact notice that when there were+2 sets and the Kite QS'd them a huge chunk of their health would be gone.

I let my BU bring Fire Rain if they want to, I just nicely ask them not to use it when there is an overload on bats, I also don't use QS in that case. (Partly because QS makes me freeze gonk )
Yeah, I'm using FR as an example, but Slash works the same in this case.

Saxy Coder

Whispers of Delusion
When I was told I started paying attention to that and I did infact notice that when there were+2 sets and the Kite QS'd them a huge chunk of their health would be gone.

That always happens when I try to QS 3+ sets. DX
I always thought it was just due to lag and the fact that when you qs them, they stop focusing on moving and instead hit you...
Kind of like how in YM, if a vamp is moving after you, it won't hit. But when you stop moving (and vamp stops shortly after) it starts attacking.

Though if you can time it so that you run away from bats before QS takes affect, your HP won't drop much. 3nodding
[Still, trying to QS 3+ sets is usually what gets me killed. Better to just run.]
It does make all the bats attack, but it's actually not that bad just r4 the bats when they're behind the tank and not as the tank is about to run through or in the middle of a mob. (Also with sand if you're tanking use sand as you're going away from them)

Like this:

User Image

r4 Slash is a bit different from Fire Rain and Hot Foot because those are damage over time attacks and the bats will attack for every tick of damage. Which is like... 5-7 times with FR and HF. r4 Slash just hits once and boom you're good.

Tipsy Sweetheart

15,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Divorced 100
strapping young man
It does make all the bats attack, but it's actually not that bad just r4 the bats when they're behind the tank and not as the tank is about to run through or in the middle of a mob. (Also with sand if you're tanking use sand as you're going away from them)

Like this:

User Image

r4 Slash is a bit different from Fire Rain and Hot Foot because those are damage over time attacks and the bats will attack for every tick of damage. Which is like... 5-7 times with FR and HF. r4 Slash just hits once and boom you're good.

Dat Drawing. A+ Art student.
casscatx
strapping young man

Like this:

User Image

Dat Drawing. A+ Art student.

I do avatar art too.

Don't get too jealous.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out