Welcome to Gaia! ::

Psychopath Fool
Well, you can't really stop kill-stealing, unless you borrow something from runescape, or from maplestory. Actually, the one from maplestory was quite well thought out.
Anyhow, you can't really do anything about KSing from powerful players, besides asking them to leave.

How does MapleStory do it?

Ghostly Warrior

35,565 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
Well one thing that they can do is that the one that did the most percentage of damage takes the kill and loot. Or like in the game Ultima Online, you get loot depending on the damage you have done, example:
Character 1 did 60% of damage and wins 500 gold + a potion
Character 2 did 40% of damage and wins 250 gold
Zero the hunter
Well one thing that they can do is that the one that did the most percentage of damage takes the kill and loot. Or like in the game Ultima Online, you get loot depending on the damage you have done, example:

I like that. Seems fair enough.

5,550 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
Just came back from Trickster, so here's my copy of an idea:

When a user attacks a certain monster, he 'claims' that monster for a few seconds (3 or so) if the user doesnt attack that monster in that time, other users can 'claim' that monster.

Of course the idea doesn't work if different users are in the same party.

I gotta stop using the word claim. xd

7,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
Shimarr
Zero the hunter

I like that one too...a lot. eek

Eternal Demigod

9,900 Points
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Divine Donator 100
Well, those that can be reported when they camp and Ks, should be, in conjunction with whatever programming measures that are included. The majority of Ks should however be limited to a small area, as long as another user isn't 'also' stalking after weaker players, or in some fashion of harassment.

I'd wager a TOS warning against this kind of regard, is a good sufficient deterrent, placed for 'all' users to agree to in the opening rules page. (Since all games have them when you sign up to play an MMO.) A judicious use of this warning from time to time, and word of mouth on the forums here, should also help deter this unwholesome practice from occurring much.

Personally, we'd have to be careful to make 'sure' it's a clear case of Ks, and not someone grinding their character to get the most out of their digital toy.

However, the game play style, where battles take place in Gaia Towns like 'rooms', cobbled with a 'timing' system, where a room takes a period of time to 'reset', for a particular user, and not another that happens to come into the room at the same time, might help some. (If such can be figured out.)

Not sure, but something like the 'channels' system used for other Gaia games, for use in chatting with friends or such, could be used as well.

Don't ask moi, since I can't program my way out of a Hefty sack, but between this, and the example used from Zero's post, something can be cobbled together, I hope. =^^=
Scalvanger
high spawn rate would be fine with in reason i mean if there are to many monsters there might be some lag
High spawn rates are not a danger to Lag but also people. If you don't have a Area of Effect Ring, You are going to die if the Monster is Aggresive. If the monster is not aggresive and you use AoE ring, You will die with all those monster on you.
i think you should be able to ks cuz if you can you cant have ks wars (the world would crumble if you didnt have those) and tell them to stop and if they dont report them
i just hope there will not be any type of exploit or cheat for this thing

Beloved Sex Symbol

9,000 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Tycoon 200
They said that in servers if the player number is especially high that they'll tweak the monster spawn rates in certain areas to fit the amount of people.
your way is stupid...

The best way is whoever dose the most damage gets the kill and any items dropped, unless in a party. Then all exp is shared and multiply items are dropped for all team members.
Cookiethehungry
Shimarr
Zero the hunter

I like that one too...a lot. eek

That doesn't make sense.

That means that a low str character can spend a large amount of time trying to kill a monster... just to have a high str character come along and kill it, doing 50% in one hit... and take all the good loot from the lower character. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to strangle users in FlyFF because they did that to me. My prey would get stolen by someone else who would kill it in 5 hits after I spent the last 8 minutes trying to kill it... and they would get more EXP and loot than me. The ONLY solution, is to prevent Kill Stealing period. Otherwise, higher level (ring fu level) characters will just steal what monsters they want from lower characters trying to kill "farming worthy" monster.

I prefer FFXI Online's system (like pre-2005.. they've changed a lot of rules about KSing since then with their attempts to stop botting that I don't fully know about so I can only talk about the pre2005 rules because that's when I played). It was very good at stopping Kill Stealing IMO. Basically, once you Aggro it (hit it once, cast a spell on it, whatever)... it stays yours till you "unclaim" it. Simply targeting something else will not unclaim it.

There would be three ways of unclaiming your prey, by attacking something else, exiting the area, or manually unclaiming the monster through an extra combination of keys (to prevent accidental unclaims that KSers in MMOs often take advantage of the most).

You could also select an option to allow everyone in the area to kill your target in case you needed help. There would be no experience granted... but it allowed people like Pwrlvlers to save their clients before they died and lost EXP..or just random people to come to your rescue (people were nice in FFXI like that). An arrow on your navi would pop up on the screen leading you to players that called for help. It was a fun community thing. The only problem is when people called from help on rare monsters that had a 1/1000 chance of dropping an item... and calling for help means no one gets any loot.

What I want... is a way to claim monsters in a AOE attack (Area of Effect Attacks, aka attacking multiple enemies at the same time) that is fair to both the AOEr and the people who can't AOE and want to fight monsters as well but the AOEr is hording them.

My solution: Make Aoers able to claim a LIMIT of monsters with their attacks that they preselect (low level AOEs might be able to claim 5, higher ones could claim up to 10 monsters, etc It would depend on the distribution of monsters in areas in comparison to the number of modestly predicted players in said areas) That way... AOErs can AOE without having to worry about their kills being stolen. And nonAOErs don't have to worry about people hording all the monsters.

I'm also against picking up loot (which is connected to KSing, because people will steal your loot if they can't steal your kill)... its far too easy to abuse a system like that. Systems like that just make people greedy, players stalk you constantly, waiting for you to drop items they like, and waiting for you to slip up so they can grab it before you. Its much easier on the player to have a system that has the loot sent directly to your inventory and then having the option to drop items from your inventory for others to grab (though I think there is a problem with that as well because FlyFF removed that due to some sort of abuse).
Satsu Ninja
your way is stupid...

The best way is whoever dose the most damage gets the kill and any items dropped, unless in a party. Then all exp is shared and multiply items are dropped for all team members.

your way is pretty stupid too.

as i said above... it would only allow higher characters in the game to have a huge advantage over lower characters. Allowing them to steal whatever they want. Its also a system that favors Str based players over other Attribute players... allowing str. characters to steal from the other classes more profitably.

the only solution I see is an Aggro based system of targeting.
Meh, kill them if you dont like them kill stealing ^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces