Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Sex Symbol

How did they just now find all these problems? Did they suspect a problem before releasing DMS? Honestly, it's just strange.

Perfect Saint

Late last year, they attempted to do maintenance on zOMG, but instead of fixing it, they found security holes. They determined they were too hard to fix given many factors like how old the program is, how difficult the coding was, the lack of staff who are really familiar with the codes, etc. Can't really tell you more than that since I'm no programmer.

You can read these threads though.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/community-announcements/update-on-zomg-maintenance/t.94749579_1/#1
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/community-announcements/some-zomg-clarifications/t.94763911_1/#1

Wheezing Sex Symbol

Myrielle
Late last year, they attempted to do maintenance on zOMG, but instead of fixing it, they found security holes. They determined they were too hard to fix given many factors like how old the program is, how difficult the coding was, the lack of staff who are really familiar with the codes, etc. Can't really tell you more than that since I'm no programmer.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/community-announcements/update-on-zomg-maintenance/t.94749579_1/#1
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/community-announcements/some-zomg-clarifications/t.94763911_1/#1

Thank you for those links and I understand all of that. But when DMS was being coded, did they not check to see if there was a problem or if there could be potential problems? That's the only part that doesn't seem right about that.

RandiHoney's Partner

Rainbow Lunatic

18,275 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Brandisher 100
Unbeatable Tofu
Myrielle

Thank you for those links and I understand all of that. But when DMS was being coded, did they not check to see if there was a problem or if there could be potential problems? That's the only part that doesn't seem right about that.

ok, well, im Am a programer (sort of) and ill give it a shot.
The fact is that zomg like most games that are part of an MMo concept are created as frame works.
Put simply to save time and not to put you to sleep, zomg already had the slots so to speak to place new elements inside.
This is not to cheapen any efforts on the part of the mods or say that making new content is easy.
It just means that making new content is a separate issue from the frame work itself.
The devs that they currently have working on the content 'such as DMS' could just follow the basic blue print that was there and add more things without understanding the deeper code of the game or necessarily knowing squat to do when a problem comes up.
The current devs have known that zomg was buggy, they have said so, several times over the years.
But the people that knew the basic code of how the game was put together have long since been dismissed. Leaving a group that while not incompetent had no idea how to fix the bug, particularly when it wasn't what they were hired for.
This is a huge over simplification but i think you get the idea.
It also excuses NO ONE.
Zomg is dead because the management didn't give a damn about it enough to keep or hire some one that could fix the problem.
Which makes the official statement about this not being about money an obvious lie.
the part about our accounts being in danger? That might actually be true however threats such as the heart bleed bug have been know about for years.
Its interesting at least to me that while zomg got the axe, towns 1 which is older than zomg and is a hacker and scripters bonaza is still chugging along.
It's code is just as vulnerable to exploitation.
It's up to you if you want to believe anything that they tell us anymore.
I sure as heck don't.

Distinct Player

Belinda Aster
Unbeatable Tofu
Myrielle

The fact is that zomg like most games that are part of an MMo concept are created as frame works.
Put simply to save time and not to put you to sleep, zomg already had the slots so to speak to place new elements inside.
This is not to cheapen any efforts on the part of the mods or say that making new content is easy.
It just means that making new content is a separate issue from the frame work itself.
The devs that they currently have working on the content 'such as DMS' could just follow the basic blue print that was there and add more things without understanding the deeper code of the game or necessarily knowing squat to do when a problem comes up.
The current devs have known that zomg was buggy, they have said so, several times over the years.
But the people that knew the basic code of how the game was put together have long since been dismissed. Leaving a group that while not incompetent had no idea how to fix the bug, particularly when it wasn't what they were hired for.
It also excuses NO ONE.
Zomg is dead because the management didn't give a damn about it enough to keep or hire some one that could fix the problem.
Which makes the official statement about this not being about money an obvious lie.
the part about our accounts being in danger? That might actually be true however threats such as the heart bleed bug have been know about for years.
Its interesting at least to me that while zomg got the axe, towns 1 which is older than zomg and is a hacker and scripters bonaza is still chugging along.
I sure as heck don't.

Hi Belinda,
Indeed by dismissing the devs who have the knowledge about zOMG has made it impossible to let the new hired peeps to maintain zOMG. For one I know that zOMG/server were well secured. The holes of which a hacker can reach could definately not harm Gaiaonline at all and only minorthings which has no effects on us.
The revenue made has sadly budgeted on tentcl.com which has been shut down as of 1st Dec. 2014 (short live as it was put up in April 2014).
Lack of well skilled devs, not having a contenplated budget for zOMG and lack of intrest from the management has killed zOMG which is the beating heart of Gaia as that is how most of us feel.

I miss all the friends I have made through zOMG (100% of my contact list). Since I play whenever I can I get to know so many ppl all over the world. zOMG is not just a game to many of us crying

Feel free to check out this thread and the petition thread as directed:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/zomg-gaia-s-mmo/join-zomg-petition-signed-1-376/t.94806077/

Wheezing Sex Symbol

Belinda Aster
Unbeatable Tofu
Myrielle

It also excuses NO ONE.
I sure as heck don't.

Thank you for your reply. That actually understand that.

RandiHoney's Partner

Rainbow Lunatic

18,275 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Brandisher 100
Unbeatable Tofu
Thank you for your reply. That actually understand that.

Not a problem,always glad to help. smile

Gracious Friend

18,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I don't get it either.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash