Yes, please. 1 100.0% [ 28 ]
Total Votes:[ 28 ]
1 2 >

Versatile Sex Symbol

13,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
Question. Will the new game be dial-up friendly?

Gaia Cinemas are NOT dial up friendly. Gaia Rallies are only partially dial up friendly, in my personal experience.

I will be saddened if I've come to know Gaia as one of my favorite sites, only to be left behind because I do not have a fast connection.
Oh the joy of capping at 4 kbps.... gonk

I hope it won't lag too much atleast.

Versatile Sex Symbol

13,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
DaveOnrefni

I hope it won't lag too much atleast.

(WHOA. Nice avatar <3 )

I have this horrible image of jerking along a landscape that jerks and glitches with the client below telling me repeatedly that it's transferring data from Gaia Online... while people whiz past my statue-like, frozen figure.

Which then gets devoured by monsters, so that by the time I unfreeze I'm dead. gonk

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
DaveOnrefni

eek

6,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I have dialup too T~T

my heart weaps at the thought of a frozen image of your avi, then catching up to find yourself dead.
Koemiko

(WHOA. Nice avatar <3 )

I have this horrible image of jerking along a landscape that jerks and glitches with the client below telling me repeatedly that it's transferring data from Gaia Online... while people whiz past my statue-like, frozen figure.

Which then gets devoured and by the time I unfreeze I'm dead. gonk

^_^ Thank you! I got left behind once Gaia's layout got revamped. I'm not sure the last time I changed it sweatdrop
Ack, that's an image too familiar to me, haha gonk

it's oh-so-tempting to install a wireless card on my compy and hope I have a neighbor who doesn't know how to use passwords

Dangerous Hunter

I'm pretty sure it will..
I don't have dial up though so I won't know ..

Lady VilL3N 's Husband

Hmm, well, it looks like it sorta runs like RO. And at my friend's place, ran okay-ish. I think you should be fine.
Oukage Shou
Hmm, well, it looks like it sorta runs like RO. And at my friend's place, ran okay-ish. I think you should be fine.

Hooray! Optimism to balance my pessimism sweatdrop

Seriously though, that's a good point. And seeing as I remember playing Phantasy Star Online on the ol' Dreamcast... I have no clue what i was going to finish this sentence with... uh.. gonk Well, I didn't notice lag back then *shrug*

Versatile Sex Symbol

13,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
Oukage Shou

I've played RO on dial up. And it was good, except... when there were a lot of people, monsters, or flashy bits, I would still get freezy/jerky. Also, so far, Gaia has had everything playable by clicking links... RO had you download the graphics, components and sound, so you wouldn't have to wait on your slow connection.

Lady VilL3N 's Husband

DaveOnrefni
Oukage Shou

Hooray! Optimism to balance my pessimism sweatdrop

Seriously though, that's a good point. And seeing as I remember playing Phantasy Star Online on the ol' Dreamcast... I have no clue what i was going to finish this sentence with... uh.. gonk Well, I didn't notice lag back then *shrug*
GASP, PSO <33333 >_>Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much. 3nodding Judging by the what was presented to us for now, though, it doesn't look like laggable material.

Lady VilL3N 's Husband

Koemiko
Oukage Shou

I've played RO on dial up. And it was good, except... when there were a lot of people, monsters, or flashy bits, I would still get freezy/jerky. Also, so far, Gaia has had everything playable by clicking links... RO had you download the graphics, components and sound, so you wouldn't have to wait on your slow connection.
Yes, yes, that is a good point. We're still left in sort of the blue about this. But judging from all that Gaia has presented us, it will be like how it made towns or the games.. Albeit, we should just wait for the final outcome.
True, those games did have client side material so that all we load were the player position, appearance, damage, etc. hm... I hope there's an option for us to do that. I don't think dial-up favors .png format. (then again, flash isn't necissarily .png)

I was a PSO addict until the unfortunate day my Dreamcast bugged up and wouldn't let me online anymore. Last year I picked up PSUniverse. It didn't have the same feel to PSO... Something was missing. Still enjoyed playing with friends though. Have to say, Dial-up + PSU = very long server/client interactions.

Edit: True, can't judge something we don't entirely know about yet.

Versatile Sex Symbol

13,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
Oukage Shou
Koemiko
Oukage Shou

Yes, yes, that is a good point. We're still left in sort of the blue about this. But judging from all that Gaia has presented us, it will be like how it made towns or the games.. Albeit, we should just wait for the final outcome.

Towns are so-so for me... it takes a while to load, and if I get in crowded areas I start lagging out. Rallies are worse than towns, but Cinemas are the worst.

And I'm hoping that the Gaia Team will see this thread and perhaps give more options. RO gave you the option to cut down on graphics and sequences as well as music, so maybe Gaia can do the same.

Lady VilL3N 's Husband

Koemiko
Oukage Shou
Koemiko
Oukage Shou

Towns are so-so for me... it takes a while to load, and if I get in crowded areas I start lagging out. Rallies are worse than towns, but Cinemas are the worst.

And I'm hoping that the Gaia Team will see this thread and perhaps give more options. RO gave you the option to cut down on graphics and sequences as well as music, so maybe Gaia can do the same.
Hopefully.. they won't just give you a "quality" button.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff