Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
First of all, this is an idea that I've alluded to numerous times but always seemed to forget to nail down the facts for. Soooo, doing that now. Sorry for the delay.

Right now we lack any real way to specialize beyond passive rings and Meat. We lack any real bonus for ourselves without dedicating 1-3 ring slots that could be better spent helping out the crew. Another ring isn't the answer so why not continue the Bling idea? Amulets are next on the list of common jewelry. This is also another way to keep Orbs as a diverse currency, relevant even as we move past upgrading all of our rings and get all the epics.

Here are the terms we will be using.

Ghi Lore: Your stock of aura knowledge to be used in crafting. You have two options for accumulating lore. You can buy certain auras from a basic list garnered from the memories of Gaia itself, paid in orbs. The other method is multi step side quest completion given out by esoteric NPCs.

Simply put, it is a store of your aura recipes with its own tab. Learn it once and you can use it in any amulet thereafter.

Ghi Forge: A powerful Animated who you must seek out to forge amulets. To make an amulet requires loot and orbs to be given to the Ghi Forge. Should require a quest to find. His motives are his own or he might share them. Who knows the mind of a living temple?

Auras: Passive self altering powers that must be focused through a ghi imbued talisman to function.

Now here is the part where I sense that people will pull away from this idea even harder than before. What if... The amulets weren't soulbound. You could sell the fruits of your labor or share with other Gaians. Gaians who have a lot of orbs, lot of Ghi Lore, and lots of time could become literal craftsmen, selling powerful wares with only the buyer's market to dictate price. Obviously there would need to be a limit to the number of auras you can put into one amulet but I would personally suggest four auras at max.

Examples of possible powers include: (stolen from my previous thread)
Pirate's Bounty, a power that gives you gold whenever you make a critical hit.
Shadow Dragon, a power that gives you a boost of healing when you make a critical hit
Healer's Boon, a power that gives you a chance to critically heal your allies.
Soul Stealer, a power that increases your chance of getting orbs to drop.
Sniper, a power that gives you a boost to accuracy
Knight, a power that gives you a boost to armor
Shadow, a power that gives you a boost to dodge
Innocuous, a power that decreases hate generated by rings
Hardheaded, a power that gives you a boost to willpower
Big Boned, a power that gives you a boost to weight
Charmed, a power that gives you a boost to luck
Anger, a power that increases critical hit damage
Backhand, a power that increases Knockback on all attacks
Parasite, a power that gives stamina back on critical hits
Insomnia, a power that grants immunity to sleep
Zealotry, a power that grants immunity to fear
Weed Whacker, a power that grants immunity to root
Armorer, a power that grants a bonus to armor granting rings
Haste, a power that decreases ring cooldown time
Thorns, a power that gives a constant damage back to attackers
Overwhelm, a power that gives a damage boost to rings
Sandman, a power that gives sleep effect on all attacks
Venom, a power that gives weak DoT on all attacks (stacks with normal DoT)
Horror, a power that gives Fear on all attacks
Entangle, a power that gives Root on all attacks
Summon, As long as you wear the amulet, you have a minion dictated by the specific summon you select.

Quote:
Example:
DeathWyrmNexus decides that he wants to make an amulet to befit his ego and dragon god-ness. So being another lover of dark powers, he seeks out an ancient and dead dragon spirit NPC and with some help from friends, manages to complete the difficult quest string, learning the dark aura: Shadow Dragon.

However, he also wants a few other powers for this amulet. Sooooo, he looks at the basic aura tree available to anybody and decides that Overwhelm and Anger from the above selection, increasing damage and critical damage. Apparently memories of war are common to the Gaia memory.

Finally, he realizes that he wants to be able to hoard power. Soul Stealer is an aura from above that lets you get more orbs on critical hit. However, Gaia's memory won't have information on how to profit from the Ghi Wounds. Another NPC, one with a predilection for studying misery, would need to be consulted and a quest or few completed.

Assuming he finishes with all his aura learning, DeathWyrmNexus would need to get to the Ghi Forge. The Ghi Forge would be a powerful and enigmatic Animated, willing to use its power to forge an amulet if pieces of other animated and plenty of orbs are used. Even getting to the forge in the first place would take questing and following hints.

This makes ONE amulet with Overwhelm, Anger, Shadow Dragon, and Soul Stealer.

TL;DR Section:
Basically amulets are solidified unit of ghi powers.
Ghi Lore represents your knowledge of auras
There are basic auras from the memory of Gaia that are purchased with orbs and special auras you can only get by questing for certain erstwhile mystics.
To make an amulet, you must reach the Ghi Forge, which is a powerful, sentient Animated. It will require loot and orbs to make an amulet.
I intend for amulets to be upgradable. In the example, if DeathWyrmNexus wanted, he could just make an amulet with just one aura and then come back later when he has more orbs/aura knowledge to add to it.
Finally, I am for the idea of amulets being unsoulbound and thus available on the marketplace as user created gear for the game.

Quote:
TL;DR Example:
Your Ghi Lore includes: Pirate's Bounty, Entangle, Haste, Venom, Soldier, Charmed, and Backhand.

You decide that you want an amulet for soloing. So you put in Pirate's Bounty, Soldier, Charmed, and Haste into it.

Then you decide you want an amulet for sniping, just cuz. You put in Pirate's Bounty, Haste, Entangle, and Backhand.

Two amulets, drawn from the same Ghi Lore.

One important caveat. These aren't rings. You can't use an amulet to directly attack or defend yourself. They have quirks to further customize your playing experience and power curve.

SykoCaster

Okay, then.
              Here's the problem.

Let's say, for argument's sake, you have 8 abilities available.
              That's 1,680 individual combinations of Amulet with 4 auras.
              Including Amulets with one, two, and three auras, that's 2,080
              I, for one, wouldn't go through over 2,000 items to look for the one I needed.
              Even if you have a tag for one of the auras you want included, that's 210 listings to go through.
              Not to mention that I wouldn't even bother in the first place, since the chances of me getting the exact combination I wanted would be tiny in the first place.

Even all that aside, what're you going to call them in the MP?
              "Pirate's Bounty/Shadow Dragon/Soldier/Haste-Amulet"?

I think selling "Amulet Piece: Pirate's Bounty", shaped like a golden-yellow quarter-circle, and allowing us to equip four of them, would work better, from a strictly functional standpoint.
              Or, have the Amulet wedges be craftable recipes, loot items that you can sell on the MP.
              Then you can take up to four of those to the forge monster to make your amulet.

Wheezing Warlord

Two issues;
              One, Ghi Lore. What's it do?
              I don't see any point to it, at all.

Two, Why would an animated be helping us Naturals?
              The closest we've had to that is the Wish Tree being an NPC.
              And even some of... them... wanted to kill us.
              I think there could be another character better suited for the role.
              Nicu said he came from a long line of Alchemists, so maybe his grandfather or something.
              Or perhaps Brennivin's Father. Or any old person, really.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
To be honest, I find it hard to quantify the mind of something that has never been alive. The Wish Tree is made of many little voices, some homicidal and others benevolent. Why not have a large Animated that has other motives besides our immediate destruction?

I also like the idea of alien motives and thus have gone with this. Maybe it opposes X because it sees the bigger picture of all Animated under the rule of a madman. Maybe it wants us to fetch it orbs for its own personal power and doesn't care about the fate of lesser Animated. Maybe, just maybe, it finds this all amusing and being fed for services rendered is a nice side effect.

Also, I can't stand 90% of Gaian NPCs. Nicu shouldn't have this level of influence in anything and Brennivin's bloodline can set itself on fire for all I am concerned.

Now for Ghi Lore. It is self explanatory. If you have purchased no auras nor earned them, you have no Ghi Lore. Ghi Lore would simply be the tab that lists your auras known. *sigh* I'll go rephrase in the OP.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
I like it, one question though..

Why'd you pick 4 Auras?

Wheezing Warlord

See, if I didn't have a totally awesome image of a Forge monster in my head, I'd oppose the idea further.
              That being said, I think beating it into submission would be a good reason, as well.

So... "Ghi Lore" would just be the name of the tab.
              Okay.
              I'd think that would just be called "Amulets" or something simple like that, but oh well.
              The way I was reading it was that acquiring new Amulets added to some sort of "Ghi Lore" score.
              Which would either function to unlock new abilities, somehow, or just be used as another e-p***s.
              Both of which would be pointless since that's what orbs and TC are for.

Dapper Darling

23,825 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
I am really enjoying the basic idea of this, although I do think that a forge NPC has a great potential to be very glitchy.

I'm also greatly enjoying the idea of Lore, because I am the sort of gamer that enjoys varied tasks. Sometimes I get bored of just orbs, yanno?

Now I want an amulet. sweatdrop

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Valheita

Why'd you pick 4 Auras?

Cuz 3 would be plenty and I am a power gamer. XD

Syko: Ghi Lore is the name of the tab that shows what you know. Think of it as the list you choose from to decide what auras you use. Want more aura options, get more Ghi Lore. It affects the game by the simple fact that you don't know everything from the beginning. You have to earn or buy the knowledge.

Amulets are just the end product, an item. Ghi Lore is knowledge thus better than E-p***s.

Mythical Risk-Taker

8,650 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
Pirate Bounty = love it! pirate

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Nuire
I am really enjoying the basic idea of this, although I do think that a forge NPC has a great potential to be very glitchy.

I'm also greatly enjoying the idea of Lore, because I am the sort of gamer that enjoys varied tasks. Sometimes I get bored of just orbs, yanno?

Now I want an amulet. sweatdrop

I've wanted an amulet for over six months now. I keep mentioning it offhandedly in other threads but sadly never put it down like this.

... Damn, now I want amulets more. -_-

Wheezing Warlord

DeathWyrmNexus

Syko: Ghi Lore is the name of the tab that shows what you know. Think of it as the list you choose from to decide what auras you use. Want more aura options, get more Ghi Lore. It affects the game by the simple fact that you don't know everything from the beginning. You have to earn or buy the knowledge.

Amulets are just the end product, an item. Ghi Lore is knowledge thus better than E-p***s.

I fail to see how that's any different than simply questing for the Amulet item itself.
              You don't know everything from the beginning, any way. You'll have to find whatever NPC to start the quest, anyway.
              I don't get the point in quantifying it in-game.

Dapper Darling

23,825 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
DeathWyrmNexus
I've wanted an amulet for over six months now. I keep mentioning it offhandedly in other threads but sadly never put it down like this.

Have you tried doing that Friday meet up with the Devs and mentioning it to [JK] or someone of that ilk?

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
SykoCaster
DeathWyrmNexus

I fail to see how that's any different than simply questing for the Amulet item itself.
              You don't know everything from the beginning, any way. You'll have to find whatever NPC to start the quest, anyway.

Because amulets only exist because you make them... stare

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
DeathWyrmNexus
Valheita

Why'd you pick 4 Auras?

Cuz 3 would be plenty and I am a power gamer. XD
Hmm. Might I propose adding some powers with synergy?

If you're going to have multiple allowed, you may as well make for some bonus for people who develop cunning combinations, :3

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Nuire
DeathWyrmNexus

Have you tried doing that Friday meet up with the Devs and mentioning it to [JK] or someone of that ilk?

I actually gave up trying to communicate elaborate ideas at Dev meetings. Besides, it would be rude to take up that much time giving this the full explanation. This way, I can be ignored without the feeling of being ignored. If they like it, they will post. If not, I'll just babble here forever. XD

Wheezing Warlord

DeathWyrmNexus
SykoCaster
DeathWyrmNexus

Because amulets only exist because you make them... stare

How is that any different than just accepting a "Make the Amulet" quest?
              You find out about it, and just decided either Yes, I'll make it. or Maybe later.
              It seems like a needless feature to me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces