Welcome to Gaia! ::

More stuff that makes you feel special for having it?

Yes! 0.44444444444444 44.4% [ 48 ]
Mah friends will be so jealous >:D 0.19444444444444 19.4% [ 21 ]
No! 0.046296296296296 4.6% [ 5 ]
Just give me gold >__> 0.2037037037037 20.4% [ 22 ]
Squaids? 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 12 ]
Total Votes:[ 108 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

Fashionable Gawker

I do not believe anyone has posted anything like this, but if I am wrong please tell me so and i will ask a mod to lock this thread so that it may go to forum heaven more easily.

I have been contemplating ways to make zOMG more valuable as a cash cow(pardon my wording, but it is accurate if we're honest) for Gaia, as well as ways to add to it's user base, and have come up with this. If you believe it is a horrific idea you are free to say so, as well as calmly and coherently(hopefully) argue your points, but please hear me out first.

Idea

My idea is this: In my opinion the reason so little real money is spent on cash shop items for zOMG is simply that there is nothing that is very tempting. Powerups are nice, but most users will agree that they are not the most appealing things in the cash shop. Personally I would rather spend real money on an EI or an MC that I can hold onto, use, and resell at any point in the future than on a powerup that will run out if I use it, is pointless to hold onto, and appeals to a relatively smaller percentage of Gaia's millions of users if I sell it. Instead of creating new rings or anything that could impact gameplay, make equippable item recipes that are exclusive to the Cash Shop and that are available for a limited time only. Say for 2 weeks?

Why recipes? If they are recipes that must be made with ingrediants from the game it may add value to those ingrediants that are currently on the marketplace, as well as encourage people to play zOMG themselves to get the ingrediants. Even if the CS recipes are only sold to other users on the MP it would at least increase the revenue coming in from zOMG. What do you guys think?

*EDIT 6-29-10*

To clarify the recipes would be for be for special recipes more like epics than regular recipes items by far. These would be shiny new recipes. Not just old ones put in the Cash Shop as that would defeat the purpose.

Because of feedback and thought I have come up with these subsequent ideas:

-Rings and orbs as ingrediants.
This would help to force people to play zOMG, because other loot can be bought easily but not these.

As an added bonus this could possibly result in the destruction of many MP rings. Thus making it even harder and less worthwhile to buy your way through the game ;D

Memorable quotes/ideas

Sabin le Rose
I would make the items random.
50 cents per recipie, 50% of getting the 'average' epic recipe, 25% to get a rarer one, 5% to get an uber rare, ect ect

Something like that.
Make it cheap, so people buy lots.
AND it satisfies Gaia's random needs.

Did someone delete their post or did I dream this? I swear this was in someone's reply, but can't find it to quote it now o.O

CS recipes for evolving items that would require loot and sacrificing the last evolution to gain the new evolved form.

Winged Alchemist

58,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Magical Girl 50
I like this idea heart

As it is now, there's not really any other way to support the game with GC aside from powerups and the occasional CS ring (there was and still are a few zOMG-inspired equippable items in the CS, though it seemed like they were a bit too niche for most Gaians :< ). Offering recipes for CS-quality items that appeal to more people would be a great way to draw interest towards the game. I know I'd use my GC to stock up on them xD. They could even take it a bit farther and create a new kind of evolving item that you'd need to 'feed' with the loot collected from the game (probably something that would utilize Nicu's exchange system to trade the current phase plus the required loot for another item with the new poses). The only problem is getting enough pixel artists from the main site to create all the new items sad

Benevolent Codger

One thing I particularly like about this idea is that it would give more attention to the recipe system, which I think has the potential to become a driving factor for zOMG! usership. Currently, collecting and crafting recipes is not especially worthwhile (due to their being released in daily chance gonk ), but given the Cash Shop's popularity (not to mention its great publicity, and penchant for high-quality items) I think it would draw a lot of attention toward zOMG!. Thus, I support your idea... 3nodding

EDIT: One more important point: all the Cash Shop zOMG! items that have been released to date are for people who already play zOMG!; this idea, however, gives users who don't play a reason to get started (in a way that powerups and Rings simply can't)...

Fashionable Gawker

Luzianne
I like this idea heart

As it is now, there's not really any other way to support the game with GC aside from powerups and the occasional CS ring (there was and still are a few zOMG-inspired equippable items in the CS, though it seemed like they were a bit too niche for most Gaians :< ). Offering recipes for CS-quality items that appeal to more people would be a great way to draw interest towards the game. I know I'd use my GC to stock up on them xD. They could even take it a bit farther and create a new kind of evolving item that you'd need to 'feed' with the loot collected from the game (probably something that would utilize Nicu's exchange system to trade the current phase plus the required loot for another item with the new poses). The only problem is getting enough pixel artists from the main site to create all the new items sad
I hadn't thought of evolving item recipes. I like the idea of feeding them with loot too. Hopefully since it would have to do with the cash shop a few of the main site artists would get assigned to help a little, and if it was successful than maybe more resources would be allocated to zOMG. It is probably a long shot but I can dream crying !

Red Kutai

One thing I particularly like about this idea is that it would give more attention to the recipe system, which I think has the potential to become a driving factor for zOMG! usership. Currently, collecting and crafting recipes is not especially worthwhile (due to their being released in daily chance gonk ), but given the Cash Shop's popularity (not to mention its great publicity, and penchant for high-quality items) I think it would draw a lot of attention toward zOMG!. Thus, I support your idea... 3nodding

EDIT: One more important point: all the Cash Shop zOMG! items that have been released to date are for people who already play zOMG!; this idea, however, gives users who don't play a reason to get started (in a way that powerups and Rings simply can't)...
I agree wholeheartedly. The recipe system is currently under utilized in my opinion. I have also felt that Gaia has not been doing much in the way of promoting zOMG! for quite a while.

Benevolent Codger

Liona Lionheart
Luzianne
I like this idea heart

I hadn't thought of evolving item recipes. I like the idea of feeding them with loot too. Hopefully since it would have to do with the cash shop a few of the main site artists would get assigned to help a little, and if it was successful than maybe more resources would be allocated to zOMG. It is probably a long shot but I can dream crying !

Red Kutai

I agree wholeheartedly. The recipe system is currently under utilized in my opinion. I have also felt that Gaia has not been doing much in the way of promoting zOMG! for quite a while.

Gaia is currently uninterested in supporting zOMG!, unless we (the devs and the community) can show them it's still worthwhile (User Image). It's sad, but true.

And, one thing I'm very happy about is that it seems the devs realise the potential of the Recipe system, based on their planned release of the new "Epic Items". If it works out that those items are as popular as I hope they are, we can expect an influx of new zOMG! users upon release... 3nodding

Fashionable Gawker

Red Kutai
Yeah, I know >.<

It may just be me, but I think just getting more players wouldn't really interest them in zOMG much. Or it may cause them to look at it negatively.

For example if more people play it there will be more demand for new servers and more people working on it which will take away from people working on things for the main site which is where Gaia gets most of its bacon from, so if more people play but the revenue generated by it stays relatively the same than they might decide it is not cost effective. That's why I thought up putting them in the CS. If more people actually spend real money on something related to zOMG than maybe they will feel it is more important?

Of course one could also argue that maybe if more effort were put into promoting it than maybe there would be more people paying and playing? I think this is the only site with an mmo where the mmo is not prominantly featured on the homepage.

Benevolent Codger

Liona Lionheart
Red Kutai
Liona Lionheart
Luzianne
I like this idea heart

Red Kutai

Gaia is currently uninterested in supporting zOMG!, unless we (the devs and the community) can show them it's still worthwhile (User Image). It's sad, but true.

And, one thing I'm very happy about is that it seems the devs realise the potential of the Recipe system, based on their planned release of the new "Epic Items". If it works out that those items are as popular as I hope they are, we can expect an influx of new zOMG! users upon release... 3nodding
Yeah, I know >.<

It may just be me, but I think just getting more players wouldn't really interest them in zOMG much. Or it may cause them to look at it negatively.

For example if more people play it there will be more demand for new servers and more people working on it which will take away from people working on things for the main site which is where Gaia gets most of its bacon from, so if more people play but the revenue generated by it stays relatively the same than they might decide it is not cost effective. That's why I thought up putting them in the CS. If more people actually spend real money on something related to zOMG than maybe they will feel it is more important?

Well, interest in zOMG! is interest in Gaia, and being an social website, they're in the business of being interesting. Gaia will support whatever features keep their users enthralled. There's a lot of competition for catching people's surfing time, so the more spent on Gaia, the better.

That's not to say Cash Shop items won't help a lot... sweatdrop

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
Sounds good to me :3

Jayson82's Husband

Golden Fairy

17,825 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I as well support this. The whole recipe concept is cool, but unfortunately, most people don't bother since you can usually buy the completed item in the P for less than it costs to make it using a recipe. Adding CS recipes would be a good thing for zOMG, but the MP value would need to be set to higher than the cost of making the items yourself, to give people the incentive to make the items rather than buy them

Also, perhaps adding CS recipes that make exclusive rings and smaller stacks of powerups(Like a stack of 5-15 per recipe) would be cool as well
Hmm, lessee here...

1. NPC clothing items
- Kin's mask /shot
- Blaze's coat and wig?
- Shrine Maiden outfit a la Katsumi?
- Half-Pint's one-piece swimsuit?
- Pizza Guy's undercover spy apparatus pizza Box
- Train Conductor clothing set [remember Terry and Perry?]
2. Moar SDPlus dolls
- Marshall [Yes I'm thinking of YOU, Haze]
- Katsumi and Kin
- Rin and Lin
- And so on...
3. Animated Goodies
- Kokeshi Collectible and Kat's Kokeshi Doll kimono recolors
- Feathered Coatl Backwings?
- "I am Animated" items [need I list everything?]
- Robofish angler light
- Labtech Armor, Ghi infused
- The Epic Fluff Set: hairpins to match, fluff hair, fluff skin, fluff eyes, Fluff Party gathering [think the Elite Party from Fremere's] and Fluff Cakes
That sounds really cool. Great idea for increasing zOMG revenue

Winged Alchemist

58,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Tee the Wicked
Also, perhaps adding CS recipes that make exclusive rings and smaller stacks of powerups(Like a stack of 5-15 per recipe) would be cool as well

Nice ideas, but rings and powerups only appeal to current zOMG players, and aren't useful to other Gaians. However, pretty much the entire site loves to dress up their avatar, so recipes for versatile multi-pose items would get a lot of attention from the userbase, whether they decide to farm for the loot themselves, buy the loot from zOMG players, or get the completed item off the MP.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Ya know... I like this idea. It is a clever way to increase the player base and I salute you for it.

If you don't mind, I'll link this thread in a couple of my idea threads.

Fashionable Gawker

DeathWyrmNexus
Ya know... I like this idea. It is a clever way to increase the player base and I salute you for it.

If you don't mind, I'll link this thread in a couple of my idea threads.
I don't mind. Go ahead.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Alrighty, have you linked on my Questions to the Devs thread.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff