Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feeder

12,300 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Couldn't find a newer topic to discuss it with so hence why I'm creating this topic.

On to the point. I recently thought that the whole gameplay of zOMG! lacked was proper "rage" building. From my experience, rage was best used at rank 4, other ranks tended to be neglected. I am not aware if someone else has thought of this so please tell me if someone already has.

So I thought that a new ring should emphasize on how greatly it will benefit on gaining rage.

Here's my imagery: It will look like Divinity. But it will give off red aura as your avatar spreads out "Devil Wings". I have not yet thought of a proper name for it.

It is either passive or a buff itself where the amount of rage you gain are significantly increased. Though I'm still wondering if the effects should be applied to the entire crew or the user alone.

I've discussed this with my friends thoroughly, and they were some arguments that regarding to gaiaonline refusing to put demonic content on the rings. However there was also arguments that counters it, there were plenty of demonic contents in zOMG!. (E.G. Kamila's curse, A demonic ring set for health regeneration bonus)

Another idea that my friend brought up. Same animation and imagery stated above, with a different effect. Sprouting devil wings from your avatar, it will cause the enemy target to go "Berserk" and cause them to attack another animated mob for a certain amount of time.

With that said, it's probably the most effective debuff if it existed, that it would need to be very inaccurate (Maybe more inaccurate than Scaredy Cat). I can already foresee that if a debuff used on a boss animated enemy, the scripts etc. will be disrupted. Other glitches and bugs may be ensued.

You're welcome to share some criticisms, arguments or thoughts about this. Since all I'm doing is stating an idea. Other ideas on new rings are welcome as well.

King Noob

zomg is not being worked on therefore this will not happen in the near future...

...but good luck Im not saying it is a bad idea

Excitable Attacker

This sounds like a very workable idea. zOMG could use some new rings soon.

Deadly Lover

10,925 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tipsy 100
it's not a bad idea but considerin zomg is in maintenance mode and both devs are off of the project indefinitely, no new content nor rings are going to be released ever. sorry to burst our bubble. you're lucky to get a server cycle once every 2ish days at this point.

Benevolent Codger

In my humble opinion, Rage may be the best part of zOMG! gameplay - it rewards you for doing what you're supposed to do (fight enemies), and encourages players to use abilities that grow increasingly splashy and attractive as combat goes on, making fights more fun and dramatic. In the past I've mused over completely removing the Stamina system and making gameplay purely Rage-oriented, but that would require quite a number of peripheral changes, as well. Regardless, congratulations for picking out what may well be one of the best features of the game. 3nodding

I think you hit a good chord with making your Rage-booster mirror Divinity - not only does that draw on the Stamina/Rage mirror, but Rage being 'profane' makes even more sense than Stamina being 'divine', which further justifies that mirroring. And given that you have an animation concept as well as a unique mechanical identity - and that you made an effort to point out potential flaws in your own ideas - this is one of the better-constructed ideas I've seen in quite some time. I'll admit I'm pleasantly surprised. sweatdrop

The issues I have with the suggestion are a little more fundamental to the gameplay than the scope of this suggestion; but assuming those issues were dealt with I'd be happy to see a ring like this come into being. The first of those issues is that I have trouble justifying new rings of any sort; of the 43-or-so rings we have, relatively few of them see widespread use, and many of those are used as fillers, rather than actually possessing unique roles. Until the devs can create an interesting balance among the rings we currently have, adding more to the pool doesn't seem like an ideal solution.

The second issue resolves to the nature of Rage; as I mentioned before, one of its strengths is in generating dramatic, incremental gameplay. However, because of the commonality of RR4 use, that impressive, dramatic impact is essentially watered-down - the issue, in my opinion, is that Rage is actually too easy to come by. I'd personally like to see the basic Rage function modified to diminish Rage gains as your Rage increases, making higher Rage Ranks much more difficult to achieve, compared to lower ones; I think this would also increase the use of RR2 and RR3, as their comparative ease to RR4 would make them even more attractive. It would likely follow that higher Rage Rank effects would need to be scaled up in power, but again that simply increases its dramatic impact.

All-in-all, the idea is absolutely clever and definitely usable; I simply wouldn't consider it the top of the priority list. Once some of the other issues are addressed, though, I wouldn't be at-all displeased to see your idea implemented... 3nodding

Feeder

12,300 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Red Kutai

Its good to see you have carefully thought of what my idea could possibly bring up.
But as you stated, I agree that at some point, rage is somewhat easily obtainable throughout the course of the game. I can already foresee the possibility that if my idea ever came to pass, people would be immediately getting Rank 4 rage every second. What draws to my attention as well is the accessibility of using the rage meter. I have no alternatives yet, but it seems quite flawed to wait some seconds to have a ring fully charged by rage. Its probably a given though, since rings do have cool down time and can be used to hold onto rage in the duration.

Benevolent Codger

AdeptRogueNagi
Red Kutai

Its good to see you have carefully thought of what my idea could possibly bring up.
But as you stated, I agree that at some point, rage is somewhat easily obtainable throughout the course of the game. I can already foresee the possibility that if my idea ever came to pass, people would be immediately getting Rank 4 rage every second. What draws to my attention as well is the accessibility of using the rage meter. I have no alternatives yet, but it seems quite flawed to wait some seconds to have a ring fully charged by rage. Its probably a given though, since rings do have cool down time and can be used to hold onto rage in the duration.

First off, let me mention - as I seem to have forgotten previously - that I've opted to include your thread in the zOMG! Ideas Repository. Thank you ever-so-much for your contribution. 3nodding

As for the issue of having to 'charge' Rage, I think I understand what you're getting at, but in practice the use of Rage is not really too unwieldy. I think the system is designed to emulate something like the 'wind up' on a pitch; it's supposed to be intuitive for players that holding down longer equates to stronger effects. The extra timing considerations aren't all-negative, either; indeed, if the charge times were really relevant we'd see much more use of RR2 effects, in that they're quicker. The one issue I have with Rage-charging is actually a glitch (or an oversight), in that one can charge Rage on a ring which is in Cooldown only with the keyboard; I'm not sure if this is an intended functionality or not, but the keyboard and mouse should work identically either way.

Also, I seem to have missed the latter half of your ideas, the first time around. I like the concept of a Berserk status, though your concept sounds a bit more like a 'mind control' effect. If I were really aiming to capture the flavour of a 'Berserk' enemy, I would have the effect offer a damage buff (rather common in traditional RPG 'Berserk' status, I think) and simply have the enemy attack whatever - player or enemy - happens to be closest to it. This makes it less effective as 'removal' (using it on a lone enemy only makes them stronger), and increases the feeling of 'danger' that an enemy running amok should evoke; in addition, it makes the effect more mechanically dependent on movement and positioning (making Footspeed, Weight, and Knockback more relevant), which makes it more naturally interactive. Other 'mind control' effects have been proposed before, but 'Berserk' has some unique implications that I feel could make it a more interesting ability...

Sawagin's Wife

Devoted Seeker

23,200 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
that's a great idea
lol @ anyone disliking this thread just because zOMG! is in maintenance mode.

I personally would love to have a powerup that, when used, completely fills our Rage Bar. Make it 100 uses per item and a price approximately on par with a Deluxe Supercharger. Then fix the multiple bugs people use to gain "free" rage and you've added another few thousand dollars in revenue to zOMG! each month.

Anxious Cat

17,125 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Millionaire 200
This sounds like a great idea, I would enjoy having that!
biggrin

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Like the idea, actually. zOMG could use some more status debuffs, in my honest opinion. The way it sounds from Red's description, "Berserk" would work in a status that the afflicted target would attack anyone and anything, as if seeing red. A "Confused" status comes to mind when considering this, but all the same.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff