• Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
TheScentOfLove
CBB1112
TheScentOfLove
some people just so mean i think its good that u turn of the "<3" and "</3"
emotion_hug

I know, all of the threads I ahve posted in here have a negative vote -~-

biggrin its okay~ some people are just so full of themselves and cant find better things to do than hurt other people feelings

Exactly why I put them on my ignore list, not gonna name who they are but I am sure everyone knows those regular dicks here

Shy Bear

CBB1112
TheScentOfLove
CBB1112
TheScentOfLove
some people just so mean i think its good that u turn of the "<3" and "</3"
emotion_hug

I know, all of the threads I ahve posted in here have a negative vote -~-

biggrin its okay~ some people are just so full of themselves and cant find better things to do than hurt other people feelings

Exactly why I put them on my ignore list, not gonna name who they are but I am sure everyone knows those regular dicks here

good for you~ heart

Benevolent Codger

This is one of the few ideas that's been presented that does have some potential - because implementing it is almost trivial - but, for the reasons gataka mentioned, not as much as we'd like to think.

Personally I think the easiest way to get started with it would be including it as a free 'bonus' for some of Gaia's loyal, longterm advertisers - that eliminates the issue of their finding advertisers, and gives them a chance to gauge just how effective such advertisements would be. Worst case scenario, they waste a bit of effort trying to arrange a bonus for their advertisers that didn't pan out, but their advertisers lose nothing and maybe even respect the effort; best case scenario is that Gaia gains nothing immediately (apart from, again, respect from their advertisers, but that's really hard to quantify), but now has the information necessary to actually sell those sorts of advertisements in the future.

It's a bit of a low-risk, low-reward gambit; I'd be willing to try just to see how it goes, but I can see why Gaia might say "Why bother?" considering the number of advertising possibilities they already have available. At any rate, I wouldn't even know who to contact to propose something like that, as advertising isn't the face of the company that the public generally gets to see... sweatdrop

Familiar Lunatic

Red Kutai

- because implementing it is almost trivial -

Disagreed, but what do I know :U
Red Kutai

that eliminates the issue of their finding advertisers, and gives them a chance to gauge just how effective such advertisements would be.

Wouldn't they'd need appropriate ads to get valuable data, not just wtv they happen to have?
Red Kutai

At any rate, I wouldn't even know who to contact to propose something like that, as advertising isn't the face of the company that the public generally gets to see... sweatdrop
Site Feedback.

Or track down the new CEO's phone numbah if you have the ninja for it :V

Anyway, ads thrive on numbers and we're quite lacking in that dept AFAIK.
Might be a nice extra but doubt it would ever provide much to build with.

Top of that, pretty confident they've considered it seriously already: if it wasn't interesting enough back then, it's less now.

We don't know much of that domain either, or at least I don't, so it would be hard to convince them to give it another go o3o

Vicious Prophet

gataka

"Hello Lanzer, this is GaiaOnline user Pan Twardowski and I DEMAND you put ads in zomg to get it more funding! scream "

yes I know Lanzer isn't the CEO shush. .

Familiar Lunatic

Pan Twardowski
gataka

"Hello Lanzer, this is GaiaOnline user Pan Twardowski and I DEMAND you put ads in zomg to get it more funding! scream "

yes I know Lanzer isn't the CEO shush. .
"We have that Waffly cat of yours, expect more than fur balls if you don't comply" emotion_donotwant

Benevolent Codger

gataka
Disagreed, but what do I know :U

I'm pretty sure that tossing a new splashscreen into the game is fairly trivial. They could make it more complicated if they wanted to manually adjust appearance rates for different ads, but in its simplest form I think the implementation time is pretty close to zero. Or am I missing something? sweatdrop
Quote:
Wouldn't they'd need appropriate ads to get valuable data, not just wtv they happen to have?

They would need ideal ads for ideal data, sure - but if they knew how to find ideal ads, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Rough data is better than no data, and advertisers that have been successful through Gaia in the past (evidenced by the fact that they keep advertising through them) seems like a good core group through which to establish a baseline.
Quote:
Site Feedback.

I've never gotten the feeling that the Site Feedback Forum does its job particularly well - this isn't the sort of suggestion that anyone would be excited about, so what sense does it make sharing it on a public Forum? If I were looking for people to help poke holes in it, certainly; but that's your job, and you're taking care of it right now. wink

I've just always felt that SF was rather awkwardly stuck somewhere between the GCD and an actual suggestion box, and thus had a hard time fulfilling either role effectively. It may just be personal bias, but I avoid it when I can. sweatdrop
Quote:

I wasn't aiming to construe it as much beyond that, yes - I don't think it'd be a new model for zOMG! by any stretch, but having some way to tie revenue roughly to gameplay time would open possibilities elsewhere, like Recipes. It certainly wouldn't put the game in a better position on its own, but I do think it puts it in a position to reach a better position more easily.
Quote:
Top of that, pretty confident they've considered it seriously already: if it wasn't interesting enough back then, it's less now.

We don't know much of that domain either, or at least I don't, so it would be hard to convince them to give it another go o3o

I was always under the impression that the big issue was that finding advertisers for the game would be a hassle, and that they couldn't make any real promises about the effectiveness of the advertising scheme - that's why my proposal seeks to minimise those two obstacles until they get a good read on how significant they are. If this specific suggestion is something they've thought about before and decided against, I haven't heard anything about it... eek

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
I am personally against the idea of splash ads. They're so generic and dry. Yuck! zOMG! is much too good for that. scream Personally, if advertising is to be involved in zOMG!, I would want it to be done through some manner involving playing the game. pirate

Familiar Lunatic

Silk Kanishk
I am personally against the idea of splash ads. They're so generic and dry. Yuck! zOMG! is much too good for that. scream Personally, if advertising is to be involved in zOMG!, I would want it to be done through some manner involving playing the game. pirate
Like the animated Sponsor Ships that never happened o3o

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
gataka
Silk Kanishk

Tell me more about these sponsor ships o 3o

Familiar Lunatic

Silk Kanishk
gataka
Silk Kanishk

U so young :U

At some point they consisdered having animated sponsored ships you'd like fight around Buck Board.
Problem being, comps don't like the idea of seeing their brand used as target practice >.>

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
gataka
Silk Kanishk
gataka
Silk Kanishk

U so young :U

At some point they consisdered having animated sponsored ships you'd like fight around Buck Board.
Problem being, comps don't like the idea of seeing their brand used as target practice >.>

oh! Woops. That's sounds kinda similar to my idea then. Although I only targeted games and the premise of most games is beating stuff up. razz

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/zomg-gaia-s-mmo/a-zomg-advertising-model/t.85081625/

Familiar Lunatic

Red Kutai

I'm pretty sure that tossing a new splashscreen into the game is fairly trivial. They could make it more complicated if they wanted to manually adjust appearance rates for different ads, but in its simplest form I think the implementation time is pretty close to zero. Or am I missing something? sweatdrop

Static ads you can't click? You'd have to pay people to find any ads to display :U
What kind of data would you get out of that anyway?

Red Kutai

Quote:

They would need ideal ads for ideal data, sure - but if they knew how to find ideal ads, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Rough data is better than no data, and advertisers that have been successful through Gaia in the past (evidenced by the fact that they keep advertising through them) seems like a good core group through which to establish a baseline.

I guess untargeted ads makes for a worse case scenario.

Red Kutai
Quote:
Site Feedback.

I've never gotten the feeling that the Site Feedback Forum does its job particularly well - this isn't the sort of suggestion that anyone would be excited about, so what sense does it make sharing it on a public Forum? If I were looking for people to help poke holes in it, certainly; but that's your job, and you're taking care of it right now. wink

I've just always felt that SF was rather awkwardly stuck somewhere between the GCD and an actual suggestion box, and thus had a hard time fulfilling either role effectively. It may just be personal bias, but I avoid it when I can. sweatdrop

Its job is to inform Gaia of what people like/dislike/want: based on what various devs/admins have said and done, they roam the place quite a bit, so if you want to advertise anything to them, hot spot.

And if you don't find the feedback there all that useful, maybe somebody else will, like Gaia maybe : P

Anyway, can always contact any dev or admin: they'll either redirect you or bring the info where appropriate. I'd say this falls under Narum's domain.

I think what you want is some back and forth: start the convo in SF, and if there's genuine meat to this, good chance a dev will pop in. Or you could always annoy them at the AtA :U
Red Kutai

Quote:

I wasn't aiming to construe it as much beyond that, yes - I don't think it'd be a new model for zOMG! by any stretch, but having some way to tie revenue roughly to gameplay time would open possibilities elsewhere, like Recipes. It certainly wouldn't put the game in a better position on its own, but I do think it puts it in a position to reach a better position more easily.

Faire enough. Doubt it's worth doing that one step unless you already have an idea how to go all the way, if you see what I mean.

Red Kutai

Quote:

I was always under the impression that the big issue was that finding advertisers for the game would be a hassle, and that they couldn't make any real promises about the effectiveness of the advertising scheme - that's why my proposal seeks to minimise those two obstacles until they get a good read on how significant they are. If this specific suggestion is something they've thought about before and decided against, I haven't heard anything about it... eek
They've already had a good read on what adverts would be interested with the preroll ads.

Doubt the slight print increase would make a big difference. Any increase could even be countered by the lesser value of static ads.

I can't say for sure they've considered this exact scheme, however:
    "Non-video advertising doesn't really pay very well, so showing an advertisement as a replacement for the loading screen wouldn't drive much revenue. "

Sounds close enough.

Pan's post only hints at all the options they've considered, thing is I'd be really surprised they haven't given this obvoius option a fair shake. They looked at ads scheme and picked what seemed most likely to work and work it didn't.

They had some reservations about turning off players however, maybe they could be more aggressive on that aspect.

Benevolent Codger

gataka
Static ads you can't click? You'd have to pay people to find any ads to display :U
What kind of data would you get out of that anyway?

Precisely why newspaper and magazine ads are now all holographic and clickable. 3nodding

I realised that tracking the data might require a tad more effort, but if it's as simple as including a link that likely wouldn't be so hard - it's a little more difficult, obviously, but still not above the threshold that I'd be willing to consider it. If we get into more complicated methods of data-tracking then we're obviously turning this into a whole project unto itself, which is what I was hoping to avoid.
Quote:
I guess untargeted ads makes for a worse case scenario.

Sort of. Inasfar as zOMG! is a subset of Gaia (it mostly is) and these are advertisers that have found Gaia to be an effective target audience, the ads aren't completely untargeted. They're certainly not ideally targeted, but they're not completely random either.
Quote:
Faire enough. Doubt it's worth doing that one step unless you already have an idea how to go all the way, if you see what I mean.

I agree absolutely. If I thought this were something worth doing
right this second, I'd be pushing a lot harder for it. Not knowing which dev to harass about it wouldn't be much obstacle to me if I thought it needed to be done. wink
Quote:
I can't say for sure they've considered this exact scheme, however:
    "Non-video advertising doesn't really pay very well, so showing an advertisement as a replacement for the loading screen wouldn't drive much revenue. "

Sounds close enough.

That does sound applicable, and I wouldn't bother suggesting it as a stand-alone model for the game - "it won't do much" has been my caveat from the start. But like I said, I think the ability to attach play-time to revenue (which pre-load ads never did) in some way is extremely important, and while there are other, more effective ways to achieve that, there aren't any I can think of that would be this close to 'free'... sweatdrop

Familiar Lunatic

Red Kutai

Precisely why newspaper and magazine ads are now all holographic and clickable. 3nodding

Pick:

1. QR codes
  2. People still read those? :U
  3. Magz and Newzpapahs are now online.

Anyway, let's keep on lookin' then.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items