Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Genius

... or more precisely, an idea for the boss fight sequence.

Let me preface this by saying it isn't solely my idea. Several people, myself included, kicked this idea around the z!CB guild a month or two ago. I just decided to drag it out of hiding and share it with you all. Now without further ado, the idea!
Forgive me if someone else beat me to the punch.

This idea is to have a somewhat more dynamic boss encounter than the usual one-room brawl. As you fight the boss, you'll have to chase after it until it reaches the final battlefield. While giving chase, you have to quickly navigate around narrow pathways, or suffer the consequences....

What am I talking about? I want to see a fight take place in a volcano! The dungeon could run through some volcanic caverns to reach the boss' lair, which is in the cone of the mountain itself. Once inside the lair, you have the usual opportunity to heal and buff before the fight begins. The boss appears and spars with you for a while, until its health drops to a certain point (or you defeat its first form). It then flees, opening a hole in the wall. At this point, the room begins filling with magma, forcing you to leave or burn. (You thought FIRE BAD!? Well, MAGMA WORSE!!)

This means you don't have time to stand around regenerating, you have to escape the rising tide of molten rock. The next few rooms will be narrow ledges that eventually lead to the second boss room. Hard mode can have you dodging falling rocks along the way. So you battle the boss again, chipping away at its health, until it flees even deeper into the cone. Escape another magma bath and chase the boss along more ledges (these would be twistier and harder to navigate than before).

Finally, you reach the last room and corner the boss. Here, it unleashes all its fury to try and defeat you. More falling rock, more minions, whatever it can use against you. Because of the impending eruption, the floor itself eventually fissures, dividing the battlefield. Players on the wrong side of the divide will be forced to use ranged rings to attack, or assume supportive roles for their teammates. When the dust settles, an exit will open up for you to get out of the dungeon and claim your reward (whatever that may be).

I realize a fight like this would be really tough to implement, especially given the current state of the dev staff. But wouldn't it be an epic clash?

Nifty ideas from you guys and gals:
Atrash the Squidmonger
Navigating narrow pathways is not really as good an idea, in my opinion. Lag really hurts navigation especially, and lag would already create a bit of a problem with the place (but a dealable problem - with this, it could be a lot harder). Also, plain clicking auto-navigation would just push most avatars through fine (or else would be too slow, thus dooming people who used that method). Even with tiny bits of workable lag, precise motor control - especially with fast footspeeds - can be tricky with the arrow keys or wasd.

Also, it must say MAGMA WORSE. Maybe have a curtain of fire to enter the boss instance, so it can say FIRE BAD first.
Yeah, slower connections might suffer on rapid navigation. Guess I've been spoiled by my fast compy.
Could have fire spurts in the dungeon leading to the boss lair?

Sensual Soul
I was thinking of having animated in waiting around the corner to ambush you and yes the magma catching up...maybe you could defeat the animated to open the pathway?

Atrash the Squidmonger
Penguins (because who else would have a volcano fortress?).
Perfect! Let's call him Rocko!

Red Kutai

No, I agree; I would really like to see a Dragon made of animated magma, though (if only because it would look awesome). With the more-or-less fluid nature of magma, though, there's nothing stopping it from changing shapes slightly (or not-so-slightly) throughout the course of the encounter...

Perfect Saint

Let's hope the gap created by the fissure is less than the gap for Bandage's range or we might just see a paradigm shift.
Yes that would be epic in many ways including epic to beat. I think thats a great idea.

6,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Junior 100
User Image
i'm picturing it in my head, & it sounds AWESOME.
thats the one kind of theme this RPG is missing, really. even if the dev's agree to it though, it would probably take a year or more until its released D:
but still.... it'd be totally epic.
>D
User Image

Feisty Lunatic

that sounds thrilling! a brilliant idea to say the least, but sadly, as said before, unless the dev team multiplies its self then it would take forever to get it up and working D:

Dangerous Genius

I'm keenly aware of the shortage of devs, so I hold little hope of this idea actually happening. Personally, I think coding the rising magma and the splitting floor would be the trickiest parts.

But it's still fun to dream!

Familiar Lunatic

(You thought FIRE BAD!? Well, MAGMA WORSE!!)
rofl !

Savage Fairy

12,300 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500

Benevolent Loiterer

11,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100
Alea Iacta Est
..pure ******** genius
The Die Has Been Cast

Devout Lunatic

25,125 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Nerd 50
neat!

Yeah *sigh* tough to implement. As you may imply, there are sometihng, as well I can say more, that can be applied to that concept of boss and its lair as you describe. And as well as the chunks of features of different areas applied on one and tweaked for it, comes the arts for the monster and zone.

I want to believe it had been thought and envisioned as I had read long ago from certain someone something similar, about volcanoes... and a mission... eek Can't remmeber who, among two, exactly said so redface But the two shows up together most of the times razz wink

gonk idea or it was a joke and yet it inspired the idea posted on this thread...

But that indeed (maybe a different kind of area but yet fomr what I commment I want it to be like this) can be a cool kind of boss(es) for higher areas of the so called "Chapter 2". 3nodding

So, bosses can be like The Gauntlet, and SS/UL/SC... ninja

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • First step to fame 200
Tylerr Terror

3nodding

Your sig pic makes me happy. Win.
As for the idea, brilliance. Though I definitely agree with everyone else that this is something that would require a much, much bigger dev team. Make sure your names are all on the petition!
Despite all the agony I will face, I want this to happen
Thard_Verad

This idea is to have a somewhat more dynamic boss encounter than the usual one-room brawl. As you fight the boss, you'll have to chase after it until it reaches the final battlefield. While giving chase, you have to quickly navigate around narrow pathways, or suffer the consequences....

I like the idea of bosses (or animated of any kind) that run away. Buzzkill sort of does this, but he doesn't move in a linear fashion (so instead of chasing him, most people just camp at their spots and wait for him to return). Forcing different screens for crews (as they travel between them), maybe even having other mob animated follow from different parts to attack those who are behind, and all could provide a more interesting field than most places with their long studied "sit here to rest, here to fight" spots.

Navigating narrow pathways is not really as good an idea, in my opinion. Lag really hurts navigation especially, and lag would already create a bit of a problem with the place (but a dealable problem - with this, it could be a lot harder). Also, plain clicking auto-navigation would just push most avatars through fine (or else would be too slow, thus dooming people who used that method). Even with tiny bits of workable lag, precise motor control - especially with fast footspeeds - can be tricky with the arrow keys or wasd.

Quote:
What am I talking about? I want to see a fight take place in a volcano! The dungeon could run through some volcanic caverns to reach the boss' lair, which is in the cone of the mountain itself. Once inside the lair, you have the usual opportunity to heal and buff before the fight begins. The boss appears and spars with you for a while, until its health drops to a certain point (or you defeat its first form). It then flees, opening a hole in the wall. At this point, the room begins filling with magma, forcing you to leave or burn. (You thought FIRE BAD!? Well, MAGMA WORSE!!)

Hmm, what about multiple bosses (maybe like Stone Coatl and his masks, except they'd flee whenever a Mask died (or maybe before, with the smaller boss animated holding the retreat - so you'd know you'd have to keep following the bigger bosses [and each dying boss would unleash something to wreck the area, starting the degeneration of the magma or collapsing rock or whatever would be the problem]).

Also, it must say MAGMA WORSE. Maybe have a curtain of fire to enter the boss instance, so it can say FIRE BAD first.

Quote:
Finally, you reach the last room and corner the boss. Here, it unleashes all its fury to try and defeat you. More falling rock, more minions, whatever it can use against you. Because of the impending eruption, the floor itself eventually fissures, dividing the battlefield. Players on the wrong side of the divide will be forced to use ranged rings to attack, or assume supportive roles for their teammates. When the dust settles, an exit will open up for you to get out of the dungeon and claim your reward (whatever that may be).

Maybe the boss (or the boss' armor, if the boss dissolves like most animated seem to) can fall into the trench so that whichever group is disconnected from the main spot could reconnect with their crew. Maybe minions (maybe with crowd control or debuffs or healing) could spawn from the side away from the main boss, thus giving the disconnected players another role in keeping those minions away from the main boss fighters.

10,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Oh I like this! This is great...the chase could be through a maze type area too with false turns and such. biggrin I love it!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff