Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello fellow zOMG playing gaians, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

A recent matter has been brought to my attention and I'd like to explain my thoughts not to just any certain individual(s) but to anyone and everyone who is willing to read this. As so I'd also love to hear the thoughts that you may have on this matter as well. I'll be sharing my thoughts on the following:

- What exactly is an aggro/tanks job within a crew.
- The line between a right and wrong aggro or tank.
- What makes an aggro/tank "good" or "bad".

These questions are answered differently between different aggro/tanks because simply everyone who is experienced at aggroing or tanking has changed the basics of it and made it their own in some way that works for them. The basics of aggro/tanking is building hate so your crew can attack with minimum damage giving the crew efficiency.

As long as the tank/aggro is doing their basic job the ring set and method they use doesn't matter or determine if they're good or bad. Building aggro is usually done with heals but the healing rings are a personal rule that's popular due to the convenience and efficiency of them. But there is no rule of rings for an aggro/tank to have or use but instead learned information based off of experience. Since everyone has they're own experiences they learn different methods and create their own personal rules/jobs added to the basics to make it easier for them personally.

That above in a way answers all three of my topics. But I'll break it down in order for you; The aggro/tanks job is to keep the rest of the crews damage at a minimum by being a distraction. The right way to aggro is simply being a good distraction by getting and holding the enemies attention by building hate points. The wrong way is simply the opposite, not building aggro which would require basically doing nothing. The thing in my opinion that makes an aggro/tank good is them using what ever method or ring set that works for them and gets the job done.

Thank you!
~Devit
Edit: Basic idea behind this thread is to remind people that the act of aggro/tanking doesn't directly refer to the act of healing but refers to the act of building hate points (aggro) most commonly done by healing. It also explains that there is only one basic rule to all aggro/tanking the rest is evaluated by the aggro/tank who adds personal rules/jobs which varies on the situation such as location/CL and how they take it which make the method they use to better the situation and add efficiency to the crew.

A simple example I've recently used would be when you first started zOMG and you were like 1.5 and you'd attack an enemy but then say you'd run out of stamina. As it ran to you however someone took the opportunity to kill it. That is still good aggro/tanking since it follows the basic rule, it's just on a lower scale.

In other words enjoy how you aggro/tank and don't be afraid to try different methods. Since there is no single way to aggro/tank but many interpretations of it. ^_^

Rogue

should classify more whether its for YR or GR or Crypt or BL
Leasfy
should classify more whether its for YR or GR or Crypt or BL

More of a tank in general. I wasn't really thinking of any when I wrote it.

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
I've seen tanks with different healing tactics and ring sets and they were always splendid at executing their task. So I don't think there's any one efficient way. It all depends on what you're comfortable with in getting the job done.
Silk Kanishk
I've seen tanks with different healing tactics and ring sets and they were always splendid at executing their task. So I don't think there's any one efficient way. It all depends on what you're comfortable with in getting the job done.

Exactly. Thank you. <3

Mon's Pardner

Rebel Entrepreneur

16,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Destructive Bunny

Depends on the area, and also the CL of your crew, and their ringsets.

I rarely tank outside of YM, and I heal the crew, basically I consider it my job to make them not have to worry about anything other than attacking/buffing.
Starshine

I rarely tank outside of YM, and I heal the crew, basically I consider it my job to make them not have to worry about anything other than attacking/buffing.

Actually for the basic rule of an aggro/tank, area and CL of anyone doesn't matter. That's all personal rules, for different methods and efficiency.

If I wanted to bad enough it's possible for me to gain aggro with all attacks and heal myself with just chargers which pull no aggro. It'd be pretty hard and not very efficient, but it's still classified as aggro/tanking if I was distracting said enemies by gaining hate points (aggro) keeping my crew at minimum damage while they could attack. As long as it worked it wouldn't be bad aggro/tanking since it's successful. If I seen someone doing that however common sense I'd recommend healing sets because it's more convenient and efficient etc. But yeah just a crazy example for a better understand of what I'm saying. The example however isn't recommended lol.

Destructive Bunny

Devit
Starshine

Actually for the basic rule of an aggro/tank, area and CL of anyone doesn't matter. That's all personal rules, for different methods and efficiency.

If I wanted to bad enough it's possible for me to gain aggro with all attacks and heal myself with just chargers which pull no aggro. It'd be pretty hard and not very efficient, but it's still classified as aggro/tanking if I was distracting said enemies by gaining hate points (aggro) keeping my crew at minimum damage while they could attack. As long as it worked it wouldn't be bad aggro/tanking since it's successful. If I seen someone doing that however common sense I'd recommend healing sets because it's more convenient and efficient etc. But yeah just a crazy example for a better understand of what I'm saying. The example however isn't recommended lol.
That example sounds extremely painful rofl but I get what you are saying. I'll just generalise and say I think the purpose of a tank is to make the crew more efficient.
Starshine
Devit
Starshine

That example sounds extremely painful rofl but I get what you are saying. I'll just generalise and say I think the purpose of a tank is to make the crew more efficient.

It kinda does I suppose and it seems you got the idea. Thank you for your reply.

Questionable Phantom

13,900 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elocutionist 200
Um... not to be rude, but shouldn't everyone in the z!F already be aware of this?

Were you harassed for your playstyle / ring-set or something?

Rogue

As long as everyone is kept alive and the tank does at somewhat decent job at retaining aggro (dpsers don't have to run 2 canada to kneel) then idc what rings they bring. I like seeing alternative sets that actually work.

Fashionable Raider

11,725 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
ANTER0S

TR.

Loyal Wife

15,625 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Threadmaster 200
Since when is there a correct way to tank?
As long as you can keep aggro and keep the crew alive there shouldn't be a right way. You can be any level you want to, and you can execute the job anyway you want to.
Just a 10.3 tank will be harder to keep alive rather than an 11.8 tank.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff