Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
CBB112's thread about placing advertisements in zOMG! got me thinking about what the best way to implement advertising in zOMG! would be and here's an idea that I came with.

Playable advertising

Let's face it. Ads are annoying. Heck! that's why most people use adblock. The major problem with ads is that they are distracting and interruptive in nature. They force on you an experience that isn't the reason you are the site or playing the game for. So for in-game advertising to be successful, it must be part of the playing experience. People play zomg! to play the game so advertising should follow that example and provide a gameplay experience.

For example, the current craze in the gaming world is the launch of the expansion to Blizzard's starcraft2. So how would it be advertised in-game? By providing a zomg version of starcraft for people to play(i.e have zerg units spawn in the game that you had to kill with your rings)

This is of course costlier than a simple splash ad but it's well worth it and through proper cooperation, Blizzard could give us their art and animation assets so we could easily implement their game in the world of zOMG!

Advertising that works both ways

Why should advertising only be about promoting other people? The very same ads used to promote other companies games can also be used to promote zOMG! in return. How? Simple. By advertising another company's game through a playable experience, you are giving fans of that game a free avenue to generate hype and excitement for the game not just among would be starcraft fans but also established starcraft fans.

For example. As a zOMG! fan. If you found out that starcraft2 is advertising zOMG! through a playable experience in their game, you'd be more than be curious to play the game to see your game in action. This way, not only is your game being advertised but also the game that it is being played on. (i.e zOMG! players who weren't interested in starcraft2 would be tempted to play starcraft just to see gnomes and landsharks in a starcraft setting. Likewise, starcraft players in turn would be in interested in seeing zerglings and terran marines in a zOMG! setting)

Of course. All of this is mute unless zOMG! has the numbers to interest a giant like Blizzard to advertise on it, so the main priority is getting the numbers.

Familiar Lunatic

Hmm. More like sponsorships/transmedia, bordering on partnership even, than ads :V

For that to happen you'd need some serious numbers and brands fit and willing for the tight relationship.

Neither are easy to find.

Rogue

Are you referring to ad while the game is loading or?

I rather say that the following ways would be the best option to promote zOMG

• word of mouth
  • sponsorship - having a well known someone to promote zOMG (ie a singer plays zomg on his/her music video clip)
  • cross company ad (ie Walmart and zOMG made a joint competition where one must do a purchase of an item from walmart, completed several specific quest in zomg to go to a draw for a chance to win something)
  • make a viral youtube video

but then again, any implemented marketing strategies would not be an aid if there is no consistency from Gaia to maintain the quality of zOMG (ie lag, server etc)
You don't wanna turn one's hopeful expectation to a disappointment because the likelihood for a disappointed person to share a negative word of mouth is twice than a positive word of mouth

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Hujat
Are you referring to ad while the game is loading or?

I rather say that the following ways would be the best option to promote zOMG

• word of mouth
  • sponsorship - having a well known someone to promote zOMG (ie a singer plays zomg on his/her music video clip)
  • cross company ad (ie Walmart and zOMG made a joint competition where one must do a purchase of an item from walmart, completed several specific quest in zomg to go to a draw for a chance to win something)
  • make a viral youtube video

but then again, any implemented marketing strategies would not be an aid if there is no consistency from Gaia to maintain the quality of zOMG (ie lag, server etc)
You don't wanna turn one's hopeful expectation to a disappointment because the likelihood for a disappointed person to share a negative word of mouth is twice than a positive word of mouth

No. I'm talking about ads that play like mini events in zOMG! (for example airshark in barton town etc)

• Word of mouth is definitely the best way. But that's not in Gaia's direct hands.
  • sponsorships only work if you have the numbers. But it's definitely a possibility during high traffic events like halloween and easter.
  • cross company ads are kinda what I'm aiming at but it too needs zOMG! to have the numbers to generate any interest.
  • I've often thought about viral videos too. I have ideas for it too. But most of my ideas need money for it to work. xp
Have it like Space Invaders.
A script will randomly generate a selection of eight rings to use.
Have the invaders be in zOMG! skin.
That will get the feel of what zOMG! is about in terms of gameplay.
No need to make affiliations with other businesses until it is time.

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Binary Mess

Can you elaborate more on what it is that you're suggesting? Is it an ad? a promo, i'm kinda confused.
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess

Can you elaborate more on what it is that you're suggesting? Is it an ad? a promo, i'm kinda confused.

Playable Ad.
Nothing more needs to be elaborated.
Space Invaders is a straightforward game.

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess

Playable Ad.

So a playable zomg! ad that is placed on another website?
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess

Playable Ad.

Well yes, what do you think a playable ad that has zOMG! graphics was about?

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess

Playable Ad.

I've seen playable ads before and I somehow doubt that they're very effective as they are interruptive and distracting to the reasons the person is on the site or game.
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess

Playable Ad.

I've seen playable ads before and I somehow doubt that they're very effective as they are interruptive and distracting to the reasons the person is on the site or game.

How about create a non-flashy menu then? Have the menu link to zOMG! and such and have another option that enables the playable game in the ad.

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess

Playable Ad.

How about create a non-flashy menu then? Have the menu link to zOMG! and such and have another option that enables the playable game in the ad.

But what will people's incentive be for enabling the ad?
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess

Playable Ad.

You are making this hard Silk.
Look, if you want people to view the ad and have incentives to actually utilize the ad then deal with the flashy menu.
If you complain about it being too flashy then just don't make the damn ad.
Or you can just have a flashy menu and an option that disables the ad.

Magnetic Prophet

14,700 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess

Look, if you want people to view the ad and have incentives to actually utilize the ad then deal with the flashy menu.

I'm still not seeing why people would want to even look at the ad let alone play it. Flashy or not.
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess
Silk Kanishk
Binary Mess

I'm still not seeing why people would want to even look at the ad let alone play it. Flashy or not.

Wow you may as well close your thread then.
Because apparently you fancy the idea of ads being a defilement to the site it's hosted on.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff