Welcome to Gaia! ::

Static boosts: worthwhile or no?

Yes; seems like a good idea... 0.11764705882353 11.8% [ 2 ]
I don't know; depends on how they implement it... 0.58823529411765 58.8% [ 10 ]
No; it would be detrimental to the game as a whole... 0.058823529411765 5.9% [ 1 ]
[x] I like polls... 0.23529411764706 23.5% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 17 ]
1 2 >

Benevolent Codger

First of all, apologies if this's been suggested before; I checked a few pages back, so if it has been, it's died. If so, feel free to let this one suffer the same fate...

I think I've got an idea that could potentially help with two (what I consider) problems with zOMG!. The idea is to have all (or the majority of) rings grant minor static bonuses to the wearer. These bonuses need not be of the same type that those (particularly buff) rings grant; for instance: a Meat ring could grant a small static bonus to Weight. The Fitness ring may need to be enhanced (I hear it needs it anyway) to balance this out.

It's been pointed out that this system is reminiscent of the Materia system from Final Fantasy VII (which, admittedly, the whole ring system bears a resemblance to). Similarly to that, then, there could be static penalties associated with the rings: a Ghost ring could carry a Weight penalty; Meat could carry a speed penalty to balance its Weight bonus.

Now, why would this be beneficial? Firstly, it helps to solve a problem that I have with zOMG! stats. Given any two CL 10.0 characters without active buffs (ignoring the chance of a Fitness Ring or G'hi abilities), those characters have identical stats, across the board. In addition, ignoring differences in G'hi levels, one character's stats are all identical, as they are all calculated based on the same function (which only accounts for CL). With some exceptions (namely Meat), all crew members are likely to have the same buffs on anyway, so that hardly applies either. The second issue this helps solve is the problem of doubling up on buffs in a crew; normally two crew members carrying the same buff ring makes one useless (barring situations where one is dazed). If, however, those rings provided a static boost, they would not be strictly useless.

Anyhow, I'm interested in others' opinions; the good, the bad, the ugly? Tell me what you think... 3nodding

EDIT: I nearly forgot; rather than static boosts, another option is to have the rings boost growth of a particular G'hi ability; equipping Keen Aye might allow you to gain your Accuracy G'hi abilities more quickly than normal, and likewise might penalise some other. Just a thought! sweatdrop

Toothsome Cat

It's an interesting idea... I'm not sure how to say what I was going to say so I'll come back to this post in a bit. Dx irl cat stuff is distracting.

Edit: I agree that identical stats is a problem, and ghi does effect that. However, ghi doesn't effect it that much, and everyone receives the same bonuses down the line. It would be great if they could use the rings to effect the types of ghi earned, but they'd have to change the ghi system so that it would move faster, because at this point everyone has very similar ghi and all data shows that most people have major health boost as the highest one. Unless they did a complete overhaul of the ghi earning system, I don't know how else they'd change it.

Benevolent Codger

Master Kinare
It's an interesting idea... I'm not sure how to say what I was going to say so I'll come back to this post in a bit. Dx irl cat stuff is distracting.

No problem; I'm here all week... sweatdrop
Initial thoughts:

It sounds fun. At least with how rings are currently balanced, it would make some of those less-used rings somewhat useful (or more useless).

The problem comes with what abilities and how strong they are.

I don't like the idea of making certain ghi experience rates build faster; that would make those that spent immense hours just playing to get all of them maxed cheated.

Not only that, but this would also mean that actual ring sets that give a passive bonus are more or less useless. In addition to fitness being rebalanced, all the ring sets will have to be as well.

Plus, I'd prefer not to encourage newbies/noobs to equip even more attack rings (assuming the bonuses they give relate to damage/making survival easier).

Another issue is that... well, if certain rings don't all boost something corresponding to what they do, it'd be kind of... strange. To say the least. Penalties for equipping a certain ring don't sound too fun either... especially if it has a use you want, but don't want to suffer a penalty for.

----

In summary, it sounds fun... but since I'm not very creative (and/or lazy~)... can't think of bonuses and setback changes to balance all this out. Thus, not really for it at this point. ^-^;;

Maybe an option to turn on/off the bonus instead? (somehow... dunno~)

Familiar Lunatic

This has been proposed before. Anyway, how minor is minor?

Toothsome Cat

Fr33d0m4ever

That's a pretty good idea. Let people pick what they want to have gain a bonus. I still think the ghi's gain rate needs to be sped up a bit... I haven't gotten a bonus in a super long time and I have a ton of minor/ normal boosts left to go. =/ Even people who've played 5x as often as I have still have a lot to get done. If they did that, though, they'd probably need to have more ghi ranges. Like now how they have minor, moderate(?), and major (not sure if I missed any), they'd have to add in new ones so the speed balances, but that there's a noticeable difference between players.

Benevolent Codger

Fr33d0m4ever
Initial thoughts:

It sounds fun. At least with how rings are currently balanced, it would make some of those less-used rings somewhat useful (or more useless).

The problem comes with what abilities and how strong they are.

I don't like the idea of making certain ghi experience rates build faster; that would make those that spent immense hours just playing to get all of them maxed cheated.

Not only that, but this would also mean that actual ring sets that give a passive bonus are more or less useless. In addition to fitness being rebalanced, all the ring sets will have to be as well.

Plus, I'd prefer not to encourage newbies/noobs to equip even more attack rings (assuming the bonuses they give relate to damage/making survival easier).

Another issue is that... well, if certain rings don't all boost something corresponding to what they do, it'd be kind of... strange. To say the least. Penalties for equipping a certain ring don't sound too fun either... especially if it has a use you want, but don't want to suffer a penalty for.

----

In summary, it sounds fun... but since I'm not very creative (and/or lazy~)... can't think of bonuses and setback changes to balance all this out. Thus, not really for it at this point. ^-^;;

Firstly, in response to Master Kinare, I understand that the G'hi system would require an overhaul; but I think the way it works currently is a little weird anyway, so that wouldn't disappoint me, anyway.
And I agree that affecting G'hi growth rates would be inappropriate until they release new G'hi ability ranks (and, hopefully, new abilities).

Ring sets give such irrelevant bonuses as it is, that they're rarely used. That's a concern (or should be) on it's own, so they should be under scrutiny as-is.

Unfortunately, n00bs will do what n00bs will do. Newbies need a better introduction to the game (I met a CL 10.0 the other day who didn't know what Rage was. Seriously... stare ), though given time they will use what works. I considered briefly the danger of giving Hack and Slash static damage boosts, so I'm not sure if that's the best option anyhow... sweatdrop

Like you said before, that would help in the balancing department. An underused ring - Adrenaline for instance - that gives a coveted static boost - Perhaps Speed (I realise that has a dangerous stack with the Medic Set, but it's just an example) - would be much more used. A highly used ring - like Fire Rain - that had a dangerous penalty - Such as Stamina or Stamina Regen - would require you to commit more to its use. Thus, not every character could devote themselves sufficiently to use Fire Rain. I consider it an advantage, personally...

Anyhow, I appreciate your opinion, and your input. And maybe an option would work; I don't know about a tick-box option, but perhaps a quest to turn it on/off. Storyline could make it make sense... (Yay, storyline! sweatdrop )

Benevolent Codger

gataka

I suspected it may've been, but I couldn't find it, personally. I might simply have resurrected the old topic, if I could've... sweatdrop

Honestly, as minor as minor can be. I don't want to steal Fitness's thunder (or what's left of it), but I would really like more variance in my stats. Penalties that won't grievously harm you, but if you manage to stack up a number of these passive effects, it could be relevant...

Benevolent Codger

Master Kinare
Fr33d0m4ever

That's a pretty good idea. Let people pick what they want to have gain a bonus. I still think the ghi's gain rate needs to be sped up a bit... I haven't gotten a bonus in a super long time and I have a ton of minor/ normal boosts left to go. =/ Even people who've played 5x as often as I have still have a lot to get done. If they did that, though, they'd probably need to have more ghi ranges. Like now how they have minor, moderate(?), and major (not sure if I missed any), they'd have to add in new ones so the speed balances, but that there's a noticeable difference between players.

More G'hi abilities should be expected, regardless; realise, there are 40 slots on the G'hi pane, and only 5 are used to date... eek

Familiar Lunatic

Red Kutai
gataka

I suspected it may've been, but I couldn't find it, personally. I might simply have resurrected the old topic, if I could've... sweatdrop

Honestly, as minor as minor can be. I don't want to steal Fitness's thunder (or what's left of it), but I would really like more variance in my stats. Penalties that won't grievously harm you, but if you manage to stack up a number of these passive effects, it could be relevant...
Why is having the same stats so troubling?
And doubling in crews is solved by a trip to the Null. That's a minor inconvenience.

Take a look at this.

Benevolent Codger

gataka
Red Kutai
gataka

Why is having the same stats so troubling?
And doubling in crews is solved by a trip to the Null. That's a minor inconvenience.

Take a look at this.

Having the same stats may just be an aesthetic problem, but I think Meaty McMeaterson should be naturally meatier than Scrawny Scrawnerson. Sure, Scrawny's faster, but that's the way it goes. It grants, like the link says, individuality.

And simply switching rings implies that it should be wrong for a crew to double-up on buffs. That is a major blow to individuality, as you become simply a cog in the "crew machine"; if you don't fit, whittle it down, or find a new one.

By the by, thanks for the link... sweatdrop

Toothsome Cat

Red Kutai
Master Kinare
Fr33d0m4ever

More G'hi abilities should be expected, regardless; realise, there are 40 slots on the G'hi pane, and only 5 are used to date... eek

Besides that, I meant actual levels of ghi. xD Like up to 10 levels, rather than the 3 we have now. That'd add variety, especially if you got to choose which ones you wanted to up with a max on how much total ghi you could get for your CL.

Benevolent Codger

Master Kinare
Red Kutai
Master Kinare
Fr33d0m4ever

Besides that, I meant actual levels of ghi. xD Like up to 10 levels, rather than the 3 we have now. That'd add variety, especially if you got to choose which ones you wanted to up with a max on how much total ghi you could get for your CL.

Yes, I agree; I was just making a point that there should be something coming to the G'hi system. I hope they add new one, as well, though...

I don't think a G'hi max would be necessary, though; if it's simply based on time (like it is now) with the rate affected by what rings you currently have equipped, then it would speed up (which many people claim it needs to), but I don't think disabling a CL 1.0 with maxed G'hi Abilities is really necessary, or even beneficial to anyone...
I like, I like.

Benevolent Codger

Toa Kopaka Nuva
I like, I like.

Why, thank you; and hello, again... wink

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking it over the past couple days, but I wasn't sure whether to post it or not. I'm always interested in suggestions for making it better though; don't hold back... whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff