Welcome to Gaia! ::

Omnipresent Warlord

Aryvane
Omnileech
As for this guide, it's ok generally speaking for YM, though it lacks nuance to account for level differences and doesn't really differentiate between areas.

I could see a crew of very low level people running into trouble. Also the tone of the guide is too dogmatic for my tastes. There's a difference in telling people one way to do things that works and telling them that you do it this way or you're an idiot.

Thank you for reading!

Honestly speaking, it's not so much a guide as a study in differences,
so it's less telling people what they should do and more telling them
what advice they've heard is outdated or simply ineffective.

But I do suppose I could have been nicer about it. xD

Effectiveness depends on the makeup of the crew. For example, if you have a crew of inexperienced people with unleveled, non-scaled rings. It happens especially when people crew up because higher level people won't take them along. Then in that case meat and additional healing rings will guarantee a greater success than going without.

There's a lot of variables to consider when deciding what is or is not effective. With really low level people then maybe you really should consider crowd control.

Cat

Omnileech
Effectiveness depends on the makeup of the crew. For example, if you have a crew of inexperienced people with unleveled, non-scaled rings. It happens especially when people crew up because higher level people won't take them along. Then in that case meat and additional healing rings will guarantee a greater success than going without.

There's a lot of variables to consider when deciding what is or is not effective. With really low level people then maybe you really should consider crowd control.

Because I mostly focused on YM with a tank, I assumed that the
tank would have the healing rings and the level of experience necessary
to hold aggro and keep members alive without their having to bring
rings. Nearly all I advise on the front page is with the assumption that
the crew has a capable tank.

But yes, I agree that there's always room for alterations to any rule
based on circumstance and goals.

Vicious Prophet

curtneko
Pan Twardowski
Grue doesn't always strike between 1-3am GST. I've had Grues hit at 6pm and also at 4am.
that shouldn't happen

you're using the game's clock rather than just pst, right?

Oh, I see. I thought it went by PST. Never mind, then.

Vicious Prophet

ugh I hate double-posting but what ring set would you suggest for a regular tank? Thanks.

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Pan Twardowski
ugh I hate double-posting but what ring set would you suggest for a regular tank? Thanks.
If it's just regular Tank, and not a Heal Tank, then you'd want this kind of set:

Buff/Meat (Or Sweetheart, or whatever else you want to use there)/Bandage/Diagnose/Passive/Passive/Attack (Or a 3rd passive)/Attack

The attack(s) are mainly for use to draw in the mobs to you, essentially aggroing them faster and allowing you to start gaining hate points.

IRL Cat

Pan Twardowski
curtneko
Pan Twardowski
Grue doesn't always strike between 1-3am GST. I've had Grues hit at 6pm and also at 4am.
that shouldn't happen

no worries, it's easy to forget about without the map open (especially in dms, where there's no graphical change)

Rogue

is curt being.... helpful? wahmbulance

IRL Cat

Deldevious
is curt being.... helpful? wahmbulance
as always ninja

Vicious Prophet

Mage Ragepunk
Pan Twardowski
If it's just regular Tank, and not a Heal Tank, then you'd want this kind of set:

Buff/Meat (Or Sweetheart, or whatever else you want to use there)/Bandage/Diagnose/Passive/Passive/Attack (Or a 3rd passive)/Attack

The attack(s) are mainly for use to draw in the mobs to you, essentially aggroing them faster and allowing you to start gaining hate points.

Thank you!

curtneko
Pan Twardowski
curtneko
Pan Twardowski
that shouldn't happen

no worries, it's easy to forget about without the map open (especially in dms, where there's no graphical change)

Thank you too.

Cat

Shy Noob

I have made a discovery!

Speed with diagnose is incredibly effective and probably the best speed to do with random people.

When you think about it you go "Oh well Diagnose uses too much stamina, just use wish you still heal everyone for more and with less stamina"

But if you've ever joined a "speed" crew you should know how well people generally use wish.
sweatdrop

The fact diagnose heals everyone including yourself without the need to change targets makes such a HUGE difference, I never even realized. When you basically combine DMS with Papa Saw it's just really hard to screw up.

Throw in amps and it's just amazing! It's like having the luxury of a tank, you can use all your rage to attack because a couple people using r1 diagnose is perfect. Just have 1 person bring bandage as well to aggro any NF / BD's.

It may not be as good as having a crew that can effectively use wish, but chances are if they can they can do just about any method and still be speedy.
xd

Cat

strapping young Iad

I've had a few bad experiences with speed crews, so you've
just given me a bit of hope. nwn;

With diag: were you using a passive as well?
&how did your crew handle NFs?

Shy Noob

Aryvane
strapping young Iad

I've had a few bad experiences with speed crews, so you've
just given me a bit of hope. nwn;

With diag: were you using a passive as well?
&how did your crew handle NFs?

The rings I brought were - Diag / 3 attacks / Bandage / 2 buffs / Fitness

I'm not too sure what everyone brought since I didn't start the crew myself, but I want to try it out where everyone else has at least 2 passives.

Night frights were not too bad. When we found them I would tell them not to heal and tank the room to aggro it. (I'm not sure if I used the terms right xd )

I lost aggro on a couple out of a few and it wasn't horrible. No one died. Then again I think at least 4 out of 5 of my crewmates also had meat, so if I was gonna try a veggie crew we'd go with only attacking it with 2 attacks that aren't hack to be safe.

Dangerous Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Thanks so much for creating this. I'm 10.0, but now I have to collect the right rings an level them up. ^^~

Rainbow Nerd

Aryvane
Anyone who brings cat or tape should be drawn, quartered, and beaten with a dead horse.

User Image

I'm sorry, are you serious, sweetheart? Are you really?

Wait I have more of these:

User Image

Of course they CAN Bring cat and tape. After tank agrees, sure. Yes. TAKE IT. Especially if the tank is learning.

Your whole so called "GUIDE" is useless for new people who are learning to tank. Because they need some sort of back up. Even if they don't know that, aren't aware of that it's always better if you have that little SOMETHING.

cat and tape can help you do that.

This guide just seems to be expecting for everyone to be born great. I noticed fine tanks that can use it sometimes.

God knows I hate when people bring cat and tape when I'm tanking. But that's because I think it's because you can take another ring to r4 NF with, without him moving.

Also there is one person that I LOVE taking cat. Because he's just great with it, and I can't imagine him having any other ring.

User Image

This guide? it's selfish. People need a way to learn and you're forgetting it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff