Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
So my super-secret-awesome research group has been looking into some of the more hidden mechanics of zOMG!, and gataka fished up this little beauty. So without further ado, lets try to explain it for you guys.

Effect of Comparative C.L. on Damage - Shift Equation

In zOMG!, Animated don't have armour stats of their own. The damage you do to them is based on three factors.

• Your OCL
  • Their OCL
  • Your ring

This is of course a simplification, Rage Rank, and comparative ring C.L. also plays into this (rings get nerfed if you let them grow too far ahead of your OCL) but for the purpose of this explanation, these three factors will suffice.

Lets use Mantis for our base ring:
Mantis
User ImageYou create a katana from nothing to do your bidding. Does light damage, but attacks again very quickly. At higher Rage Ranks, it also drains an enemy's Willpower.

Stamina Cost: 2-3 Stamina
Cooldown: 2 seconds

RR1 -> 70-110 Damage (90 Damage)
RR2 -> 100-140 Damage (120 Damage) + Willpower Debuff (8s)
RR3 -> 120-180 Damage (150 Damage) + Willpower Debuff (8s)
RR4 -> 170-250 Damage (210 Damage) + Willpower Debuff (8s)

The shift equation has the following form:
Damage = (1 + [ YourCL - TargetCL ] / 2) * (Ring's Damage)

Don't worry, I know it's not very easy to read mathematical equations when they're written in a line. I'm going to use an examples to explain it.

Example

If I'm a C.L. 10.0 attacking an Animated in Shallow Sea on Easy, the Animated has a C.L of 9.4, so using Mantis ring we have the above equation become ->
=(1 + [ 10 - 9.4 ] / 2) * (90)
V
=(1 + [ 0.6 ] / 2) * (90)
V
=(1 + 0.3) * (90)
V
=1.3 * 90
V
=117

So against a C.L. 9.4 Animated, a mantis ring will do (on average) 117 Damage a hit, as opposed to 90 damage a hit against a C.L. 10.0 Animated.

End of Example

The real beauty is that this equation holds true for absolutely any Animated regardless of variety, so we can show (though I won't here) that the simplest interpretation of the difficulty settings is:

Easy: Animated do 30% less damage, Players do 30% more.
Hard: Animated do 30% more damage, Players do 30% less.

Though of course, there are discrepancies. Hard Mode features stronger Animated, so their base damage is also higher in addition to the Shift Equation, and vice versa for Easy Mode.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Frequently Asked Questions

It's not the easiest thing to explain algebra over the internet, so I'll include any common user asked questions here with (hopefully) informative answers ^^

SolarInvictus
Let's take the classic example of a 4.5 walking on to GB and then encounters a 6.6 golem, and since we know that they should at least have a GGG lets use that as the ring they are using.

Damage = (1 + [ YourCL - TargetCL ] / 2) * (Ring's Damage)

D = (1 + [4.5 - 6.6] /2) * (70)
D = (1 + [-2.1] /2) * (70)
D = (1 + [-1.05]) * (70)
D = (-.05) * (70)
D = -3.5?

I think you can see where I'm having trouble. >.<
Good spotting. In this case, whenever the "D" value drops below 1, the ring will do 1 damage in game. This is to do with the domain of the equation, but I can't think of a concise way to explain it.

gataka
Val, I think you should mention that "Ring's Damage" is:
Ring'sBaseDamage * CL
Like RR1Adrenaline being 4*CL.
Or RR1G3 being 7*CL.
Or something.
>.>
Yes. Where I state "Ring Damage" in the equation, the "Ring Damage" presented in the Guide represents the C.L. 10.0 value. You can obtain lower level values by multiplying the Guides value by C.L/10.

So for a C.L. 6.0 ring, you multiply the 10.0 "Ring Damage" value by 0.6.

Shy Streaker

Interesting. No questions, you explained it well. Congrats you and your team for this discovery.
I trust you'll probably be finding animated self-heal analysis/equation next?
Jks.

In a relationship with VVishing

Eh algebra to me is madness anyways. =/

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Jane Fallen Angel
Interesting. No questions, you explained it well. Congrats you and your team for this discovery.
I trust you'll probably be finding animated self-heal analysis/equation next?
Jks.
Hmm. That'd be interesting

But that's not our next project. We're doing a boss, or an Animated guide. We haven't decided yet. >.<;; Anyway yeah, we're collecting data about Animated.

@iTamako: Madness? This. is. Math clas- *shot*

Not when you are taking advanced algebra and your teacher does not speak English well. D: -shot back-

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
iTamako
Not when you are taking advanced algebra and your teacher does not speak English well. D: -shot back-
I did university Calc with some little asian lady as the lecturer ; ;

I'm still surprised I passed. D:

Lucky person. >_> Well my teacher has a Russian accent. Not that I have anything against Russians though. But still... she could teach a bit better. >>

Familiar Lunatic

"So my super-secret-awesome research group [...] gataka" am-I missing an eyebrow something? Or is our interpretation of super-secret-awesome different? >.>

Couldn't have done it better myself. My plan involved less Math. Somehow. And more confusion. For some reasons. (Thanks again, TV)

I need to erase some memories now.
Stare into the little red light. That's right.
Now, say "Cleese!"

Shy Streaker

Valheita
Hmm. That'd be interesting

But that's not our next project. We're doing a boss, or an Animated guide. We haven't decided yet. >.<;; Anyway yeah, we're collecting data about Animated.

@iTamako: Madness? This. is. Math clas- *shot*

I'm contemplating making a highscore booty grab guide, but I'm not sure if there is any out there already. =P I want to contribute to gaia somehow. Gud Luck on whichever guide you are doing next. I always find your discoveries kind of fascinating.

Fashionable Girl

32,675 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Storybook Royalty 500
Very interesting! I always like to know the basics behind how certain things are calculated in games, and you've explained this extremely well!

And it's good to know exactly what makes Easy and Hard Modes... well, easy and hard.

Thank you this thread! biggrin

Undead Enchantress

*shrinks from all the math* gonk

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
gataka
"So my super-secret-awesome research group [...] gataka" am-I missing an eyebrow something? Or is our interpretation of super-secret-awesome different? >.>

Couldn't have done it better myself. My plan involved less Math. Somehow. And more confusion. For some reasons. (Thanks again, TV)

I need to erase some memories now.
Stare into the little red light. That's right.
Now, say "Cleese!"
You're part of the super-secret-awesome, you just deserved special mention. :3

@Wizzardess: Good to know people are finding it interesting ^^

Shy Streaker

Erynne

Hehe. Sadly, I like math. Although that's subject to change when I take Calculus and Vectors next year.

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
Jane Fallen Angel
Erynne

Hehe. Sadly, I like math. Although that's subject to change when I take Calculus and Vectors next year.
Vectors are pretty cool, differentials are.. not so much.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff