Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Updated:

A new gold curve has been implemented in zOMG.

For a long time zOMG has been giving out too much gold; we've made several tries at adjusting it, but there were still some issues. The main feedback from the community was that new content was the key thing they wanted -- so how can we do that while getting the economy more into balance? (There are other issues of fairness: for example, there are people that are buying the zOMG items to show their support, but they aren't getting very much tangible benefit from it).

So, what we're going to do is this:

* we have 4 people working on an entirely new area for zOMG. This is a substantial investment in zOMG, based on community feedback.
    * we've simplified and upped the curve for donators and AutoCash subscribers. Every day you can earn up to 160k in zOMG without any effects, and then the gold scaling goes down to 20%.
    * for people that are not donators or AC subscribers, the new scaling kicks in at updated: 50k.

However, some people do not have access to cash -- so we're offering a zOMG gold potion in the cash shop that will confer the donator gold-earning levels for 3 days. So, you can spend some gold, drink the potion, and for the next 72 hours you'll have the benefit of the gold curve.

This allows social players to play zOMG with their friends, confers some benefits on people that buy zOMG items, and allows people without cash the chance to earn gold at the same rate as others.

So, an entire new area is kind of a big investment. How can we know if it's successful? It's obvious that zOMG items / powerups / rings / whatnot are important, but there are other things we'll be looking at:

- total traffic in zOMG. Right now zOMG is behind Towns and Rallies in popularity; we're hoping that with a new area that it will be the most popular flash game on Gaia.
- number of new registrations driven as a result of zOMG. If you refer a friend, or get them interested in the game, try to make sure that they register through /zomglanding.

More details in the zOMG forums or journals, as appropriate.

Updated: Fixed the 50% glitch and a couple other things; the curve still resets at 0:00 GMT. Based on user feedback, we're experimenting with making the granting more gradual. The current formula is:

100% up to 80k
thereafter it is max(0.20, 1.0 - ((earned - 80000) / 150000))

Note that this grants more gold than the previous curve and there isn't a sharp cliff. It looks like what we'll have to do is adjust the difficult of EB / Papa Saw upwards in order to prevent them from getting farmed. After we make those changes, we'll remove the curve if the gold has dropped down to a reasonable amount.

We appreciate the levelheaded level of discourse, and thank you for your understanding. I'm going to mention something at the behest of Customer Service, even though I don't believe that there is anyone in the zOMG community that would do this: using mules for the purpose of earning gold and funneling gold to one account is considered against the TOS. If the admins see a bunch of people running mules they would issue warnings / bans / whatnot, so they did want me to give fair warning to everyone.

Original:
Before starting off: if you want to blame anyone for this change, blame the Gold Grant Committee, or blame me if you need a personification. We're adjusting gold grants throughout the site, and zOMG was part of it recently -- just wanted to try and give some more information about what is going on. My journal has more backstory if you're interested.

What Were The Exact Changes?
100% earnings up to 100k; 90% earnings from 100k - 150k; 10% earnings post 150k. Resets daily at a set time -- I think 0:00 GMT, but I'd have to check the code. Someone doing sEB will hit the 10% limit in about three hours, although possibly less.

How Did You Pick Those Numbers?
We took a sample day -- 3/6. A total of 13k+ players played on that day. Taking all players and looking at the very top, there were 169 players that made 150k or more, just a touch over 1%. This was the source of "1% of players should be affected." The high player on 3/6 made a bit under 1m gold with 10 sEB runs, and the top 169 players made 25% of the zOMG gold granted on that day.

Why Are You Picking on zOMG?
zOMG is the largest single source of gold generated on the site, both in absolute terms and in terms of players / gold. We're reducing both zOMG and BG in order to bring their proportions more in line with the rest of the site. We're fine with CL 10.0 zOMG paying better than anything else -- we just don't want it to be magnitudes better than anything else.

But Why Pick On It Now?
Remember that what we want to do is drive more users to zOMG -- we're going to start testing it on the new user home page, increasing integration via item exchange, so on and so forth. We want to increase the amount of gold that new users get, but we need to get that gold from somewhere. It seemed to make sense to adjust the curve at the high end to provide more leeway for the low end.

But The Curve Takes All My !@@#!@#! Gold
As long as the total amount of gold given out is reasonable, we're fine with adjusting the shape of the curve or the way that it's implemented. There are two current issues with this one: a) it doesn't report properly in the client, and b) the cliff is a bit shocking when you finally hit it. Using a more gradual exponential or cubic curve may work better.

Looking at the curve over time, the question here is a) when does it start to kick in, and b) when does it reduce to minimum. The current curve kicks in immediately at 2 or 3 hours; we could instead flatten it out so that you would have to play 12 hours to get the maximum amount of gold.

Gamewise, there are also options: taking EB as an example, we could reduce the payout or change it so speed runs are no longer possible.

But It Won't Help Because Of All The Gold Given Out
We have goldsinks planned, but we're planning zOMG and BG specific gold sinks to help drain out the gold.

I'll update OP as necessary based on any common questions.

Benevolent Codger

Thank you for finally getting this out there. This is the kind of transparency we expect (and certainly still appreciate) in the zOMG! Forum, and I'm glad to see it coming through so clearly... 3nodding

EDIT: I have, rather unceremoniously, barred myself from further Forum interaction tonight. I'll come back with more feedback later, but I really just wanted to let you know how much this meant...

Familiar Lunatic

I'm simply going to echo Red Kutai's comment on transparency for now.
This really should have been posted when the change occured or even before.

Anyway, I'm glad swarf still has his lungs ninja
User ImageUser Image
      Can we post here?

Thank you for posting it, it was very informative :') Thank you for explaining how the curve worked and more into it.

Although I do have one concern.

The cap kicks in after 2 hours? Does it lower to the 10% at that point? That seems a bit wonky, some of us hang out for a while on zOMG without doing anything, and I'd hate to be at a dev meet then head off to something and get pushed into that percentile if I haven't actually been earning anything.. So perhaps tweeking that would be good? Otherwise I think the cap looks pretty good.

150k cutting off seems good to me, still is like a million +gold a week.

However I don't blame staff for this. I think the blame belongs to us users in this one. Y'all did something nice for us, and we more or less snuffed you over for it.
Thanks Pan! heart

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
It's gold based, not time based -- but the top 1% can generate 50k - 80k an hour, so it works out to be about two hours. I think I mentioned the shape of the curve -- we could kick it in earlier but more gently so that maximum payout doesn't occur until 8 hours, or 10 hours, or whatever.

Queer Passions
User ImageUser Image
      Can we post here?

Thank you for posting it, it was very informative :') Thank you for explaining how the curve worked and more into it.

Although I do have one concern.

The cap kicks in after 2 hours? Does it lower to the 10% at that point? That seems a bit wonky, some of us hang out for a while on zOMG without doing anything, and I'd hate to be at a dev meet then head off to something and get pushed into that percentile if I haven't actually been earning anything.. So perhaps tweeking that would be good? Otherwise I think the cap looks pretty good.

150k cutting off seems good to me, still is like a million +gold a week.

However I don't blame staff for this. I think the blame belongs to us users in this one. Y'all did something nice for us, and we more or less snuffed you over for it.

nextjune's King

Romantic Paradox

37,400 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
Alright.
Prepare for bombing complaints and whining everyone
Also does this affect Fortune Favor rings?
Would you approach the nerf faster with them?

Dangerous Genius

PorceIain Doll
Also does this effect Fortune Favor rings?
I'd expect so, since the curve is based on gold earned.

As a suggestion to the devs, could the boss reward notices in-game be tweaked to reflect how much gold a person actually makes? From the screenshots I've seen, the game might say you get 500g for defeating a boss, but with the curve you only get 50g. The text should be changed when someone has the time to code it.

nextjune's King

Romantic Paradox

37,400 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
Panagrammic

I actually want to thank you guys. So many people abuse the gold reward, it makes the play time a little less than what one would hope because they become so antsy about their gold, they only want those who want the gold just as bad.
Now, I can meet people who want to be on zOMG for friends, like myself.
Gold was never the main reason why I joined zOMG.
1)Friends
2)Experience
3)Gold

Mhm, just saying. Many people are pissed about this but I see it as an improvement. So thanks again.

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PorceIain Doll

Yeah, but you're still earning more gold overall.

Thard_Verad
From the screenshots I've seen, the game might say you get 500g for defeating a boss, but with the curve you only get 50g. The text should be changed when someone has the time to code it.

Yeah, agreed, that really needs to be fixed.
Panagrammic
PorceIain Doll

Yeah, but you're still earning more gold overall.

Thard_Verad
From the screenshots I've seen, the game might say you get 500g for defeating a boss, but with the curve you only get 50g. The text should be changed when someone has the time to code it.

Yeah, agreed, that really needs to be fixed.

Thanks Pan, it was a question many had asked.
Guess for now, Fortune Favors aren't worth it dramallama

Friendly Warlord

Well, this should answer a lot. :3
Panagrammic
It's gold based, not time based -- but the top 1% can generate 50k - 80k an hour, so it works out to be about two hours. I think I mentioned the shape of the curve -- we could kick it in earlier but more gently so that maximum payout doesn't occur until 8 hours, or 10 hours, or whatever.
User ImageUser Image
      Ohhh. Derp. That was totally a reading error on my part. Thanks for clearing that up so quickly.

I think I like the idea of the sharpish sounding curve better though, personally. Unless there is that 1% playing for that long, that seems like a really long time to be glued to zOMG, no matter how much I like it x.x;

Oh! One more question I think is important. Mule accounts? What will happen if people hit the curve and then jump over to a mule? Do you have ways of seeing people who do this?

Obsessed Marshall

71,375 Points
  • The Ring: Vol2 Master Collector 250
  • Marshall's Love 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Yay! Thanks Pan!
Another good source :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash