Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Ladykiller

10,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Nurannoniel - Hmm, about your painting. I'm thinking that it's acrylic yes? I'm not really liking the use of white in this picture. The colours of the blue, brown and green look really dulled out because of the white mixed in. I suggest using white minimally. It's not really something that should be used only to adjust the value of the colour, in my opinion. Also, I suggest mixing more colours, primary colours. Some parts look like it came straight from the tube, which looks too strong for the piece. I have a lot to say about it, but I'm only going to comment on colours right now.

6,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200

clarion's King

Super Model

eeeeeeeeeegggggggggssssss

I can almost imagine this finished. It would look really cool as a splash 3nodding

Omnipresent Loiterer

Miri-love
User Image

<3 Dakki-dono: Thanks! Yea, I like to give weight to one side of my paintings sometimes 3nodding But I see what you mean. It's sort of hard to see, but there's a Feathered Coatl flying over the water, and I'm thinking of putting a little stone statue on that right hill 3nodding Hopefully that will help balance it?
Oh, I see it now! Yeah, I think a spot of contrast there will help balance it out. Good luck!

Can't wait to see it.

5,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
augizzle
Nurannoniel - Hmm, about your painting. I'm thinking that it's acrylic yes? I'm not really liking the use of white in this picture. The colours of the blue, brown and green look really dulled out because of the white mixed in. I suggest using white minimally. It's not really something that should be used only to adjust the value of the colour, in my opinion. Also, I suggest mixing more colours, primary colours. Some parts look like it came straight from the tube, which looks too strong for the piece. I have a lot to say about it, but I'm only going to comment on colours right now.

*Nods* Yes, that's right. I've never really used watercolour or oils. :/ technically there isn't any white; only light blues and "parchment." However, that kind of detail only shows in RL. Thank you for pointing that issue out, I'll see if I can change that up a bit.

Ah, I see now... Any ideas on how to how to tone those stronger areas down by any chance? It's an issue I've had in the past and haven't quite figured out how to adapt to it yet.

Thank you!

6,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Magus
eeeeeeeeeegggggggggssssss

I can almost imagine this finished. It would look really cool as a splash 3nodding

thanks but im 17 so i cant finish... neutral

Omnipresent Loiterer

ALSO: Tip for those who may not know it, but if you're having trouble with composition, flip your canvas horizontally and you'll suddenly be able to see where it needs something. Fix it and flip it back.

Make sure you check throughout your drawing.

Sparkly Ladykiller

10,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Nurannoniel
augizzle

*Nods* Yes, that's right. I've never really used watercolour or oils. :/ technically there isn't any white; only light blues and "parchment." However, that kind of detail only shows in RL. Thank you for pointing that issue out, I'll see if I can change that up a bit.

Ah, I see now... Any ideas on how to how to tone those stronger areas down by any chance? It's an issue I've had in the past and haven't quite figured out how to adapt to it yet.

Thank you!

The thing I'd recommend most is experimenting on your own. First I'd say that maybe if you establish a colour scheme, it'd be good to mix colours to achieve that colour scheme. For example, if you had a cool colour scheme, the red would stand out too much to fit in, so you would mix in cool colours(a little bit maybe) such as blues and greens to achieve a more cool tone.

But aside from that, if you're not familiar with the colour wheel, look into it a bit. Red blue and yellow are primaries, with mixing those colours, you can create a variety of tones for every colour. x.x; the basics of painting. Try doing an underpainting, which is kind of a lighter and more dilute painting and planning of where your finished painting would head. You do this in the beginning to get an idea of where values, dark and light go. It might help. Studies before the painting(such as sketching, pastel drawings, small paintings, etc.) are helpful as well;

Inquisitive Bibliophile

dakki-dono
ALSO: Tip for those who may not know it, but if you're having trouble with composition, flip your canvas horizontally and you'll suddenly be able to see where it needs something. Fix it and flip it back.

Make sure you check throughout your drawing.

I also do that to locate anatomy errors. Sometimes they elude me until I look at the picture in a mirror. Very useful technique. In any case my pictures always get flipped when I transfer the sketch to good paper.

I always end up correct mistakes I didn't see before. =3

Sparkly Ladykiller

10,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Yeah, I do the flip test too. x.x; But I don't like it very much because it feels like cheating. However, after a while, I find that when I flip the image, sometimes I don't see anything wrong. This makes me think of tilting/rotating the picture which doesn't do much either.

I guess another thing that I do that helps check on things. If I'm doing a colour piece, I go to my options and where you can adjust hue and saturation, I set saturation to 0 so I can see how the values of my work look. It helps for me.

Beloved Shapeshifter

8,900 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Okay I think I am done @_@;;;;
Kamuri Hibari
Okay I think I am done @_@;;;;

Really? Can we see it? ;D

Inquisitive Bibliophile

augizzle
Yeah, I do the flip test too. x.x; But I don't like it very much because it feels like cheating. However, after a while, I find that when I flip the image, sometimes I don't see anything wrong. This makes me think of tilting/rotating the picture which doesn't do much either.

I guess another thing that I do that helps check on things. If I'm doing a colour piece, I go to my options and where you can adjust hue and saturation, I set saturation to 0 so I can see how the values of my work look. It helps for me.

XD I am of the opinion that, short of infringing on someone else's work, there is no such thing as cheating. You do whatever is necessary to best produce the image in your head. But I do hear you. There are plenty of things I used to view as 'cheating'--one of which was drawing on cheap paper and transferring it over to good paper. But I sketch too hard and erase way too much to draw on my expensive bristol and illustration board. So I use printer paper for sketches and then transfer them over. Saves my expensive paper from my sloppy sketching techniques.

And I often desaturate after I scan in an image to check the values as well. It can be pretty useful for determining if I need to go in and lift out or add more washes to get better contrast. <3

Tiny Rogue

Okay, I have a quick question.
I know in the FAQ it said that your parents may enter for you if you're under 18, but does that mean your parents have to be signed up for Gaia? :/
I'm trying to figure this out so I can enter what I've drawn.
It's here if anyone wants to see. [x]

If you could PM me a response to my question, that would be amazing since I have to go to bed now and I don't want to go post-searching tomorrow. xD

Thank you bunches~ c:

-- Sillie

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas