Welcome to Gaia! ::

IRL Vampire

well Sen, you've seen what the first post says: 2 artists and 1 game designer. Therefore, all new ideas for features can only be: 1) do-able by this team, meaning NO programmers involved (no completely new feature, like pets, can be added... the only way they're doing a summon ring now is because it's technically just a visual effect with a 20 minute buff attached to it) 2) cannot intrude the mainsite too much - I don't think the mainsite would fancy zOMG spitting out more gold at all with all the inflation-drama they have going on, and 3) and this is connected to 1, it has to be something that can be done quickly and with relatively little effort so they can still keep pumping out content (which is what they're trying right now)

Great that you're trying to help, but I don't think it's going to be very useful without the above three points taken into consideration.

(also, the artists that currently work on zOMG are not flash animators, so they can't do new effects by themselves, they'll either need mainsite-artists to help, or finally find someone they can contract)

Benevolent Codger

SykoCaster

Another thing to draw in users would be to stop keeping the stories of zOMG and Mainstream Gaia separate.
              Incorporate them, so the GCDers have a reason to play.
              As new manga come out, make corresponding areas, and limited-time quests.
              When the next manga comes out, the quests change to reflect the new story, but the areas, and non-story quests, remain open.

YES. YES this.

Apologies for the Caps Lock, but I've been begging for a one-story Gaia since they started diverging. If Gaia is to be one world (like it's supposed to), the stories need to be incorporated...

Cheery Reindeer

2,450 Points
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Patrick Jiuliani
Meri Mint

It is definitely a "rock and a hard place" type of situation... Very frustrating for the devs as well, I'm sure. I just can't see all these cash items doing anything but turning more people off of the game. Perhaps this is because I spend way too much time in the GCD. It seems like a simple PvP system wouldn't be terribly hard to make. We already are able to both give and take damage, just not to each other. If it were confined to a basic arena type place (one screen would be enough, maybe two for the entrance area and the actual arena) where the rules were changed so that you could attack, but not heal/buff other players (as opposed to how it works in the rest of the world) is seems pretty simple... but then, I'm not a programmer, so what do I know?

I am only hoping it is not a sinking ship sort of situation myself. Yes people do get turned off at the idea of cash shop items but for the most part it is when they are being shoved down ones throat. There is still so much that can be done without cash on the game. Ideas like a head start ticket though is beneficial to every one though. Gaia gets their money, gaians get to the area before the huge crowds to hence get to try out the mini games and kill the new animated, and the devs? Well there are bound to be bugs. Headstarters will serve as great beta testers to the new features. If the item is beneficial and not just a quick way to earn a buck gaians tend to be more apt to accept it.

As for pvp they are working on it and eventually the barton arena in the game will be used for that but from the sound of it the programing is a bit harder then one would expect. They already have run into issues with it so far.

I know they've been planning/working on a PvP system, but I was just thinking it might help to just sort of... push it out and then upgrade it later. But yes... wasn't the first headstart ticket released in a RIG? Gaia loves its RIGs... Maybe they should do that, with another zOMG! themed RIG with really nice items and such that are based on the game. (and yeah, I know the RIG idea has already been said, I'm just saying it again for he sake of thinking out loud).

Casrial's Bae

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Put a zOMG car wash in rally. >>

I wonder if there is something that we, as users, could do to help get more focus on zOMG. Like, have a week or something where we wear zOMG items or w/e. << And host large user run zOMG events that require being on the game.

I dunno. Something that wouldn't eat the dev's time and resources. I'm sure we could find some way to get the events in announcements or on the front page if we asked nicely.

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Wall Street 200
Red Kutai
Meri Mint
It is definitely a "rock and a hard place" type of situation... Very frustrating for the devs as well, I'm sure. I just can't see all these cash items doing anything but turning more people off of the game. Perhaps this is because I spend way too much time in the GCD. It seems like a simple PvP system wouldn't be terribly hard to make. We already are able to both give and take damage, just not to each other. If it were confined to a basic arena type place (one screen would be enough, maybe two for the entrance area and the actual arena) where the rules were changed so that you could attack, but not heal/buff other players (as opposed to how it works in the rest of the world) is seems pretty simple... but then, I'm not a programmer, so what do I know?

I was thinking about how it would work recently. My idea, I believe, is needlessly complicated, but it goes something like this:
When two players enter the Coliseum (or wherever PVP will take place), they actually enter two separate maps; each map has an enemy version (in that it can be attacked, can't be buffed, etc.) of the opponent. Then, each of these enemy-users constantly updates its stats to match the real version, and reacts similarly to commands. I think it works in theory, but there may be lag issues or something... sweatdrop

more likely DC errors where both players win and loose the instance as they kill their ai opponents before a response could be made.

Ruthless Businessman

I think they would sale more just as a straight up head start ticket Mint
Has anyone suggested an idea along the lines of using magical gemstones to not only add a decoration to the rings, but grant them added effects?

Here's my ring customization idea- These perfectly optional magic gemstones can be purchased through Back Alley Bargains. Each stone will grant an added effect to the ring, (like lightning, summon a tornado, plant vines, etc.) that would either harm the animated in some way, temporarily increase the ring user's stats for a period of time, or protect them from a status effect.

Example of customized zOMG rings- Coyote Spirit with a Moonstone (for a faster speed boost than a Coyote Spirit Ring without a Moonstone), and Hot Foot with a Sunstone (to increase the power of Hot Foot).

Now, these rings can only be crafted similar to how many zOMG items are crafted (recipe, loot, and someday- crafted items like fluff plushies), only that it has to involve the zOMG ring, and the gemstone you wish to use on it. If you succeed, the resulting ring will be more powerful that it was before.

And that if these rings get salvaged, you'll end up with orbs, but the gemstone will turn into fragments that can be used to create accessories.

10,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Red Kutai You just gave me an idea! What about a in game raffle? You buy the tickets in the CS and play when you are on the Boardwalk. Like a rig. You can win rare or altar rare recipes/ rings/ and items but you get the added bonus of playing a game too. Course I'm not sure if the devs want to do this. =/

Oh and what about build a pet type thing. You buy "parts" to design your own pet/ mount. Each month the GC could offer new "parts" to add to your pet. They could have part that stay in the store and parts that are limited time only. Like seasonal ones for Christmas and such. You'd get a basic pet as part of the game, idk, as a quest reward or something and then add to the pet to make it look and have the stats you want it to have. Some of these you get playing in game too so that everyone get something and the CS ones could get sold in the MP too.

Of course I have no idea what they devs have in mind but hey, it's an idea!

Benevolent Codger

Redforest
Red Kutai
Meri Mint

I was thinking about how it would work recently. My idea, I believe, is needlessly complicated, but it goes something like this:
When two players enter the Coliseum (or wherever PVP will take place), they actually enter two separate maps; each map has an enemy version (in that it can be attacked, can't be buffed, etc.) of the opponent. Then, each of these enemy-users constantly updates its stats to match the real version, and reacts similarly to commands. I think it works in theory, but there may be lag issues or something... sweatdrop

more likely DC errors where both players win and loose the instance as they kill their ai opponents before a response could be made.

Yeah, I meant lag between users. I knew something like that would be possible; we'll just see how they wind up implementing it... sweatdrop

Celestial Cleric

29,425 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Restorative Spirit 250
Nurannoniel
Sorry to be jumping in randomly here, but I've been out all day. My apologies if someone has mentioned this already, but if they are looking to promote themselves, why aren't they advertising through things like their facebook page more? I don't think I've seen mention of it on Gaia and only just went hunting for it after seeing the fuss around here, and now I see the page hasn't even really been updated in a year!

Stuff can go viral fast on FB/Twitter with a little bit of love and attention... Showing off their new shiny projects on their FB page might be one way of attracting back fans...

That would be nice, zOMG is such an awesome a game if more people saw things about it and tried; I know they would come back for more. I actually only joined gaia in the first place to play this game, my brother was playing it and it looked like so much fun I had to join too. Not that I dont enjoy the main site events some times but I love this game more.

Benevolent Codger

Patrick Jiuliani

I think the ability to trade them in (I posted on it earlier) would increase sales, but I don't think it needs a bunch of extras, no. I think what they're trying to do is increase number of players and generate cash at the same time; focusing on one at a time would be better, I think...

IRL Vampire

you do realize that they're not working on a pet-system, right? sweatdrop

Ruthless Businessman

Red Kutai
Patrick Jiuliani

I think the ability to trade them in (I posted on it earlier) would increase sales, but I don't think it needs a bunch of extras, no. I think what they're trying to do is increase number of players and generate cash at the same time; focusing on one at a time would be better, I think...

I was meaning as a straight up ticket meaning not embedded in a rig. I was saying earlier myself that they should include some type of equitable item even if it were just a head start wrist band or something of the like

10,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Aseres
well Sen, you've seen what the first post says: 2 artists and 1 game designer. Therefore, all new ideas for features can only be: 1) do-able by this team, meaning NO programmers involved (no completely new feature, like pets, can be added... the only way they're doing a summon ring now is because it's technically just a visual effect with a 20 minute buff attached to it) 2) cannot intrude the mainsite too much - I don't think the mainsite would fancy zOMG spitting out more gold at all with all the inflation-drama they have going on, and 3) and this is connected to 1, it has to be something that can be done quickly and with relatively little effort so they can still keep pumping out content (which is what they're trying right now)

Great that you're trying to help, but I don't think it's going to be very useful without the above three points taken into consideration.

(also, the artists that currently work on zOMG are not flash animators, so they can't do new effects by themselves, they'll either need mainsite-artists to help, or finally find someone they can contract)

Ah but they were already working on pets! And not all the ideas need to be used now. This is called "brainstorming" I don't think they can use all these ideas but it gives them lots of ideas and it tells them what the players that are here and are playing wanting to see in the game and what they are thinking. smile And it gives them idea for when they do get more staffing again. In other words they will take from this post, as they do the forum, what they can use. wink Don't worry, game developers and game artist do brainstorming all the time, they know what it's about!

Creative brainstorming is fun and it can lead to all kinds of nifty stuff!.

10,300 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Meromictic
Put a zOMG car wash in rally. >>

I wonder if there is something that we, as users, could do to help get more focus on zOMG. Like, have a week or something where we wear zOMG items or w/e. << And host large user run zOMG events that require being on the game.

I dunno. Something that wouldn't eat the dev's time and resources. I'm sure we could find some way to get the events in announcements or on the front page if we asked nicely.

Hey, that's a great idea! zOMG! awareness week! biggrin I'm in! Want to make a thread to promote it?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff