Welcome to Gaia! ::

Durem Genius

7,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
I can translate nearly anything you want into Latin, as I am proficient in the language.
here is a sample:

"... Corax begged for his life in vain for a long time. However, Angerona flew into the sky and disappeared into the shining clouds. Corax was nervous. Lucus the messenger said "it's true"and Corax pondered about his life. Suddenly, Sorrow seized him an he quickly grew emaciated and he fell to the ground, unconscious. His eyes suddenly caught fire and he shook violently. His soul then escaped through his head. he then died. Black ivy rose from the ground and seized Corax,an dragged him to Hell, where Pluto (god of the underworld) tortured him..."
||
V
"...Diū Corax frūstrā vitae petīvīt. Angerona Deinde Angerona in caelo voluīt, et in nubes fulgentibes discessīt. Corax anxius erat. Lucus nūntius “ita vero” inquit. Corax de vitā suā secum reputāvit . Subitō, Corax celeriter valde remacrescevit et ad terrā procūbuīt, exanimātus. Oculī suī subito ardevīt et Corax valde quasāvīt. Anima ē capite ēffugīt. Tum periīt. Hederea nigrae eum rapuit et ad Tartarum traxerunt, in quō Plūto eum cruciāvīt..."

I also know a lot about Roman culture if you want me to write a short story or play based on a certain prompt. The excerpt above is from one of my more recent stories, Tragoedia Maxima.

If you want some thing done, It will cost 1k per line of translation in Times New Roman 12 With 1" borders, or 50k per page of a story. heart

Durem Genius

7,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Militant Loverboy

A Marcel
Your Latin's pretty good --- there's a few errors, mostly concerning when you choose to use a preposition and what case you have the related word in, but pretty well done overall. =) What level of Latin are you at? Oh and don't feel like you need to slave over the long vs short marks, considering that the Romans didn't use them haha. Most of the time I don't write with them, though it's pretty cool that you have them in there.

Durem Genius

7,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
x__Litrouke
Your Latin's pretty good --- there's a few errors, mostly concerning when you choose to use a preposition and what case you have the related word in, but pretty well done overall. =) What level of Latin are you at? Oh and don't feel like you need to slave over the long vs short marks, considering that the Romans didn't use them haha. Most of the time I don't write with them, though it's pretty cool that you have them in there.

I am only in my second year of instruction, but I am at the top of my class and I read ahead into more advanced Latin textbooks in my spare time. I add the macrons as a gratuity. Sometimes, the macrons are necessary such as in the first declension ablative singular:

Quintus e villa cucurit. ------& Quintus e villā cucurit.

In the case above a less trained eye would mistake the form of villa, villae (f.) in the first example for the first declension nominative singular.
Also, macrons are integral in the first and second declension dative and ablative plural:

Quintus aquam vaccis dedit. ------& Quintus aquam vaccīs dedit.
Quintus pro tabernis ambulare vult. ------& Quintus pro tabernīs ambulare vult.
Quintus cibum pueris dedit. ------& Quintus cibum puerīs dedit.
Quintis de tauris semper dixit. ------& Quintus de taurīs semper dixit.

As you can see without the macron, the forms of vacca, vaccae (f.), taberna, tabernae (f.), puer, pueri (m.), and taurus, tauri (m.) respectively look like a third declension genitive singular.
Lastly in the fourth declension genitive singular, it is necessary for a macron:

Anulus manus subito ardet. ------& Anulus manūs subito ardet.

As you can see, in the former, it says, "The ring hand suddenly caught fire." According to this the hand catches fire. The ladder says, "The ring of the hand suddenly caught fire." According to this one, the ring catches fire. The macron is integral.
Rather than being patchy with my macron usage, I find it important to use consistant macrons.

Militant Loverboy

A Marcel

Ah, then that's quite good indeed, especially for having only studied it for two years. I'm impressed.

Ah yes, the long marks help us with such grammatical points; I'm not debating that one bit, believe me. xP I was only pointing out that they weren't used originally, and hence I don't find the need for them. I don't think any of the texts I'm reading right now have them supplied, as the more you read, the more you can 'see' the long marks without needing them to be there. -shrug- As I said, it's cool of you to use them, but not necessary.

I'm curious: why are you so devoted to Latin? Are you planning to pursue a Classics degree?

Durem Genius

7,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
x__Litrouke
A Marcel

Ah, then that's quite good indeed, especially for having only studied it for two years. I'm impressed.

Ah yes, the long marks help us with such grammatical points; I'm not debating that one bit, believe me. xP I was only pointing out that they weren't used originally, and hence I don't find the need for them. I don't think any of the texts I'm reading right now have them supplied, as the more you read, the more you can 'see' the long marks without needing them to be there. -shrug- As I said, it's cool of you to use them, but not necessary.

I'm curious: why are you so devoted to Latin? Are you planning to pursue a Classics degree?

I do plan on majoring in languages and minoring in classics. If I don't choose to take the required Ancient Greek 1 course, I will instead major in either Roman Culture or Latin, both of which my Uni offers.
I think that Latin is a beautiful language and that it is a great foundation for learning other languages such as French, as well as a great way to improve on my vocabulary. Roman culture is very interesting to me as well. Also the Latin language comes to me very naturally. My Latin teacher is my adviser at Uni, and has been for two years. It is through him, that I have learned a lot more than my class in both the culture and the language itself. For example, my class has not learned future tense, subjunctives, or anything else past the third declension. We have only seen two fourth declensions so far, manus, manūs (f.) and portus, portūs (m.), and they were sugar-coated into a whole sentence glossed at the bottom of the page.
If you want to read more of the work I took the excerpt at the top from, PM me and I will be glad to send you a copy. biggrin

Durem Genius

7,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Militant Loverboy

A Marcel
I do plan on majoring in languages and minoring in classics. If I don't choose to take the required Ancient Greek 1 course, I will instead major in either Roman Culture or Latin, both of which my Uni offers.
I think that Latin is a beautiful language and that it is a great foundation for learning other languages such as French, as well as a great way to improve on my vocabulary. Roman culture is very interesting to me as well. Also the Latin language comes to me very naturally. My Latin teacher is my adviser at Uni, and has been for two years. It is through him, that I have learned a lot more than my class in both the culture and the language itself. For example, my class has not learned future tense, subjunctives, or anything else past the third declension. We have only seen two fourth declensions so far, manus, manūs (f.) and portus, portūs (m.), and they were sugar-coated into a whole sentence glossed at the bottom of the page.
If you want to read more of the work I took the excerpt at the top from, PM me and I will be glad to send you a copy. biggrin

Ah, excellent. I would advocate taking Greek, if only because it's fairly intuitive to pick up after studying Latin. Of course it has its unique kinks and obstacles, but much of the general format and concepts will be familiar to you.

Latin is so very gorgeous, I agree. I'm a Classics major myself and intending to study French and German for grad school, in order to read international research done in the field -- I'm trying to refuse to learn Italian. Studied it once and have no interest in doing so again. Have you had a chance to read proper Latin authors or mostly passages created for the textbook you're using? I'm doing Catullus right now (again haha) and he never gets less fantastic.

Durem Genius

7,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
x__Litrouke
A Marcel
I do plan on majoring in languages and minoring in classics. If I dont choose to take the required Ancient Greek 1 course, I will instead major in either Roman Culture or Latin, both of which my Uni offers.
I think that Latin is a beautiful language and that it is a great foundation for learning other languages such as French, as well as a great way to improve on my vocabulary. Roman culture is very interesting to me as well. Also the Latin language comes to me very naturally. My Latin teacher is my adviser at Uni, and has been for two years. It is through him, that I have learned a lot more than my class in both the culture and the language itself. For example, my class has not learned future tense, subjunctives, or anything else past the third declension. We have only seen two fourth declensions so far, manus, manūs f.) and portus, portūs m.), and they were sugar-coated into a whole sentence glossed at the bottom of the page.

Ah, excellent. I would advocate taking Greek, if only because its fairly intuitive to pick up after studying Latin. Of course it has its unique kinks and obstacles, but much of the general format and concepts will be familiar to you.

Latin is so very gorgeous, I agree. Im a Classics major myself and intending to study French and German for grad school, in order to read international research done in the field -- Im trying to refuse to learn Italian. Studied it once and have no interest in doing so again. Have you had a chance to read proper Latin authors or mostly passages created for the textbook youre using? Im doing Catullus right now again haha) and he never gets less fantastic.

I have read mostly the textbook stuff, but I have read some of Auricula Meretricila. not the most appropriate text lol)

Militant Loverboy

A Marcel
I have read mostly the textbook stuff, but I have read some of Auricula Meretricila. not the most appropriate text lol)

I'd never heard of that play before --- that's a cool idea, though, writing to imitate the authors while making it more accessible to students. Some of the stories in those language textbooks are....lacking, to say the least. xP Our Greek one's pretty tight so far, though.

Are you using Wheelock's Latin then?

Durem Genius

7,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
x__Litrouke
A Marcel

I'd never heard of that play before --- that's a cool idea, though, writing to imitate the authors while making it more accessible to students. Some of the stories in those language textbooks are....lacking, to say the least. xP Our Greek one's pretty tight so far, though.

Are you using Wheelock's Latin then?

No, our class learns with the Cambridge Latin Course, and I have my older brother's Oxford Latin Course books. Both of them have good stories that get the reader involved withe the story. The books go in sequence and continue telling the story while teaching a good bit about not only the language, but also the culture.

Durem Genius

7,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Durem Genius

7,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
bump
also, dont click the holy cow. gaia_angelleft User Image . gaia_angelright