Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fairy

Since I am going into high school next year, I am trying to pass a essay test to get enrolled into an international baccalaureate program. However, since both my parents are natively Korean and don't have strong English, I don't know if my writing is strong enough or has high enough standards for the SAT, similar to the level of the program. I hope someone can take the initiative to help me out!

PROMPT
Should leaders be judged according to how well they treat people? Plan and write an essay in which you develop your point of view on this issue. Support your position with reasoning and examples taken from your reading, studies, experience, or observations.

Yes, I believe that leaders should be judged by how well they treat people. Though it is very important for leaders to provide proper discipline and constant order, it is the reaction of the people that can affect what occurs. When one abuses their power, which is, in fact, given by the people the people have the ability and strength to overpower the tyrant. I believe that this applies to both the past, as well as the present we live in today.
Currently in 8th grade science, it is common in my class to have labs that have students work in groups, which requires cooperation. At the beginning of the year, I participated in a group lab, and had to work with a difficult person. She acted arrogant, and underestimated myself as well as the rest of the group. She would perform all of the steps in the directions and would not let any group member touch the equipment. When I asked if I could assist her, she stubbornly insisted that she knew what she was doing. This was her way of “abusing power.” My group members and I were unsatisfied with the little knowledge we gained from completing the lab and therefore received mediocre grades. Due to this incident, my group held little respect for the girl, and during our next lab, we were able to “overpower” her and participate more frequently in the activity. Though this girl had strong leadership and control, she failed to consider the rest of the group, which resulted in having us to take more control and give her less.
Though leaders today should be judged by how they treat people, I also believe that this occurred in America’s history as well. America was once in the holds of British, who can be defined as its “leader.” But before the American Revolution, American citizens were taxed large and unnecessary amounts unfairly by British powers, who abused their power to gain more money. Having to endure this for years, Americans finally revolted against the British. Events such as the Boston Tea Party were a symbol of America’s brave rebellion. However, situations changed when America and Britain declared war against each other. In the end, America defeated as well as “overpowered” Britain, and was freed. Because of the British’s abuse of power for money, the British suffered greatly. Punishments included a humiliating defeat against a young country, loss of men from the war, and also a loss of money because they were now unable to tax Americans. However, if Britain took the true role of a leader and treated Americans well, they may have not suffered as harshly.
A leader’s true power comes from the people, because it is the people who can actually give authority to a leader. However, they also have to ability to take that given power away; Thus, leaders must value and consider the people. Those whose visions block what is right tend to do whatever possible to achieve what they want. Eventually, there power is taken away by the greater force of the people. In conclusion, I believe that leaders should not only maintain order and provide discipline, but also should be judged by how they treat people, because that is their sole source of authority.
Hello I'm a student in the I.B (D.P.) first year lol I think your writing was really good especially the part with the Boston tea party and the example lol some tips I can give you for your sat essay would be try not to use first person I too much instead try to use third person such as .... said and try to make your paragraphs 6-7 sentences long biggrin and something that can help you increase your score would be transition words ex to begin furthermore additionally in conclusion in front of each paragraph's beginning.you can also try to create an introduction before answering the question and at the end of introducing your subject you can write your thesis which is yes/no because, .., .., ...,then explain each subject with a paragraph with your examples biggrin and then add a conclusion which is an idea from each paragraph and your thesis and a general statement, this is so far what they have taught me lol sorry if i wrote to much or if it's confusing lol 3nodding

GOOD LUCK >.<
hope u make it lol

Cultist

You have understanding of the language to be able to apply it correctly and appropriately. However you should brush up on your vocabulary.
"America was once in the holds of British"
A more appropriate statement; The United States of America were once in the clutches of the British Empire.
Note that America can be referred to many things and that the British should be referred to as "the" as I don't think there's any other.

Perhaps you should re-evaluate your sentence and content structure. A self-experience statement is quite rarely put in the second paragraph without any proper prompt from the previous paragraph. You might also want to use more third person point of views instead of first person as this may show your understanding toward the outside environment instead of your own. (This is a good tip fo IBDP unless it's your personal statement)
Some of your sentences seemed a little off as well.

"Though leaders today should be judged by how they treat people, I also believe that this occurred in America’s history as well."
The first part signifies that you wish to point out the other side of the argument, but when you moved on to the second you pointed out an event which came out of nowhere in America. Two irrelevant sentences compounded into one.

Fairy

Aegyo Nya 13
Hello I'm a student in the I.B (D.P.) first year lol I think your writing was really good especially the part with the Boston tea party and the example lol some tips I can give you for your sat essay would be try not to use first person I too much instead try to use third person such as .... said and try to make your paragraphs 6-7 sentences long biggrin and something that can help you increase your score would be transition words ex to begin furthermore additionally in conclusion in front of each paragraph's beginning.you can also try to create an introduction before answering the question and at the end of introducing your subject you can write your thesis which is yes/no because, .., .., ...,then explain each subject with a paragraph with your examples biggrin and then add a conclusion which is an idea from each paragraph and your thesis and a general statement, this is so far what they have taught me lol sorry if i wrote to much or if it's confusing lol 3nodding

GOOD LUCK >.<
hope u make it lol

Thanks so much for the advice about IB! I know such little things about it except for what I learned at the open house. And since, sadly, the IB program isn't that well known in my school (Aberdeen Science and Math Academy reigns my school xD), I didn't know the exact standards or how to properly prepare myself xD

Fairy

musical umeko
You have understanding of the language to be able to apply it correctly and appropriately. However you should brush up on your vocabulary.
"America was once in the holds of British"
A more appropriate statement; The United States of America were once in the clutches of the British Empire.
Note that America can be referred to many things and that the British should be referred to as "the" as I don't think there's any other.

Perhaps you should re-evaluate your sentence and content structure. A self-experience statement is quite rarely put in the second paragraph without any proper prompt from the previous paragraph. You might also want to use more third person point of views instead of first person as this may show your understanding toward the outside environment instead of your own. (This is a good tip fo IBDP unless it's your personal statement)
Some of your sentences seemed a little off as well.

"Though leaders today should be judged by how they treat people, I also believe that this occurred in America’s history as well."
The first part signifies that you wish to point out the other side of the argument, but when you moved on to the second you pointed out an event which came out of nowhere in America. Two irrelevant sentences compounded into one.

Thank you so much for all your feedback! I will definitely try to use proper vocab so there aren't any misinterpretations, and I'll try to tweak up some of my sentences. :3
Again, I don't know much about IB standards, but thanks for clarifying some things I was unsure about!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff