Welcome to Gaia! ::

Centaura's Queen

Glace Leau

I am !! (All my friends are jealous hhaah so I know it's not just bias because it's my character)

With tildes ? Like ~nope~ he said ? Because if you'd like that it doesn't bother me to add it ?? Ahh but I am so glad you're happy with it so far. I thought I was doing so badly emo
UGHH I would never say no to that (I am so flattered by your praise tooooo I do not usually get praise) but it's totally not necessary ! I'm not really sure if they will reach the 1500 word mark and I don't want to pad them out with dumb descriptions, so they are secretly just bonuses for having neat characters and letting me play with things outside my comfort zone 3nodding heart

Seasonal Phantom

Kiddlet
Glace Leau

I am !! (All my friends are jealous hhaah so I know it's not just bias because it's my character)

With tildes ? Like ~nope~ he said ? Because if you'd like that it doesn't bother me to add it ?? Ahh but I am so glad you're happy with it so far. I thought I was doing so badly emo
UGHH I would never say no to that (I am so flattered by your praise tooooo I do not usually get praise) but it's totally not necessary ! I'm not really sure if they will reach the 1500 word mark and I don't want to pad them out with dumb descriptions, so they are secretly just bonuses for having neat characters and letting me play with things outside my comfort zone 3nodding heart

Well, I'm very glad then!

More like "Of course, sweetie~" but like I said it's really not a big thing, just kinda how I tend to write him denoting a little sing-song sort of voice.

I probably still will, but thank you so much! o///o And nooo, you are doing awesome, please continue.

Centaura's Queen

Glace Leau

OHHHhhHHH yes I use that too !! But I was pretty sure it was a dumb thing lmao and I try to be more ~professional~ with trades. I will definitely see if I can add that in yes.

Here is another draft ?? I've never written anxiety before, so if it's too far off the mark I'm happy to scrap it and chalk it up to a learning experience 3nodding

Jilles sat.

The sun was out-- he knew that much, and it wasn't hard to imagine a world where the birds were chirping and there was the muted sound of traffic, as people wandered around quite happily. But that world was far away, far behind the curtains and through the window and practically in another *universe*, and he wasn't sure that was even a bad thing. He just sat there, on the sofa, kneading his left hand absently and staring at the blank screen of the tv.

He glanced at the phone again.

It would make sense for him to just *ring*, wouldn't it. That's what brothers did, even when there *wasn't* anything terribly wrong, and it wasn't like Wes was going to tell him to ******** off and hang up. He wasn't going to be *annoyed* to hear from him, and Jilles knew this. *Except*-- and this was very important-- what if he *was*? What if being called in the middle of the day when he was probably already *busy* and being asked to babysit his older brother, just because he felt a little ill, was the *last* thing he wanted to deal with? It was such a childish thing, anyway, to be scared enough to want somewhere there, holding your hand, when you were a grown man.

Jilles sighed and looked away from the phone, feeling the headache flare up again just from that movement, and noticed he was rubbing his hand. He stopped, and stared at the tv. He should just take some aspirin and go back to bed, right? That was a good idea. There was nothing pressing to take care of, and sleep would at least be better than sitting there, feeling nauseous and panicked and sorry for himself over what seemed like nothing.

That's what he would do, then. It was decided.

He stood and froze, waiting to see if there would be another bout of dizziness, but there wasn't even a twinge. That was something, right? A clear improvement? He should feel *glad* he didn't call Wes and bother him over something that was a false alarm.

The knock came when he had barely taken two steps towards the kitchen, momentarily startling. The irrational thought that it was his headache again flitted through his mind, but was forced out when the knock came again almost instantly, far more insistent. He changed direction towards the door, checking to see who it was before opening it, despite the now rapid pounding. When he did, Wes stared back at him, jiggling on the spot and looking distressed. He didn't bother waiting for an invitation before charging past, into the apartment.

"It happened!" he blurted, expecting Jilles to close the door and follow him into the abode. If he didn't, well, then Wes would be talking to an empty room before he had even noticed, because he bolted for the lounge, not waiting for an answer. "There was someone in my yard!"

"What?" asked Jilles, bewildered, walking into the room and tugging at his gloves to make sure they were on firmly. (And not at all to hide the tremors.)

"My gate was open!" Wes continued, dropping onto the sofa, staring blankly at the tv in a way that was eerily familiar, visibly shaken. "I *know* I closed it last night and then this morning it was *open* and I--" He cut himself off, gnawing at his fist, and his legs trembled relentlessly. His gaze flit to Jilles and away again, trying to breathe.

"Are you okay?" That was Jilles first concern, alarmed. The throb was there, as he leaned against the doorframe, but what the hell did *that* matter?

"The cats knew!" his brother blurted, not listening, struggling to keep talking and dropping his fist to wring his hands; clawing at his palms and twisting them in circles. He was still staring at the tv, as if there would be answers there. "They wouldn't come when I called and they wouldn't touch their food and they *knew* something was up and there was someone watching me and I *know* it I should have known it I should have--"

He choked out a noise, running his hands down his face. He couldn't seem to remember what he was saying and his chest was moving more rapidly now. Jilles grimaced, not just from the pain.

"You're okay here," he said, in the brief silence. "I'm here."

Wes glanced at him, just for a second, and didn't look entirely reassured.

"He *knows* I live alone!" he moaned, clenching his eyes shut and his hands in his hair, shaking again. "It's common knowledge I live alone and work late and I don't talk to anyone and--"

"What can I do ?" Jilles interrupted, head throbbing now and stomach churning. He moved towards the sofa, cautiously, but his movements went unnoticed. "Do you want security?"

"No !" Wes shot back instantly, staring up with his hands still in his hair. He looked worse than he did when he entered; more panicked, more distressed. "Are you *trying* to put a bullseye on my back?! He's going to know for sure if someone else turns up and there's going to be *more* people watching and the gate--"

"Okay," soothed his brother, sitting. Instantly, instinctively, Wes was pressed up against him, still shaking, and Jilles wrapped his arm around him. It was a poor substitute for safety. "No security. What can I do?"

"Nothing!" whined the other, hands moving restlessly across his own face. "There's nothing *anyone* can do and there's nothing *I* can do and there's nothing! *Nothing*!"

"I won't let anything happen," Jilles assured him, biting off the rest of the statement as his stomach gave a particularly violent roll. It took a second, but he remembered what he was saying. "Do you want to stay here?"

"No!" Wes was offended-- still distressed, but now upset too-- but he didn't try to move away, burrowing closer if at all possible. "No that will just make it worse I don't know what to do I can't figure it out!" He paused, staring at Jilles desperately, then hesitated. The stony expression peering back at him wasn't helping. "What's *wrong* with you?"

"Nothing!" Jilles insisted quickly, and Wes' face twisted in despair. "It's just a headache," he corrected, and waved his hand dismissively. "I'm fine."

It was too late to stop it. Wes' leaped to his feet.

"Shitshitshit," he stressed, clawing at his scalp again. "I've made it worse! I just came in here and started going on and I didn't even *look* at you and you're-- you don't feel *well* and I made it worse and I'll leave Jilles I--"

"No!" The statement came rushing out quicker, more desperately than Jilles intended, and it didn't help anything. The panic grew. "I-- I was going to ring you," he admitted, figuring a little white lie would be okay, under the circumstances. His gaze darted away anyway, guilty at even this half truth. "Just as soon as I took some aspirin, I was going to ring. You haven't made it worse. I-- Can you stay?"

Wes hesitated, clearly unconvinced and still shaking, torn between fleeing and staying when he was just as desperate for reassurance as his brother. He really, *really* wanted to leave, the guilt making everything worse and everything hurt, but his feet wouldn't move.

"I--" He gnawed at his lip, looking everywhere but at the sofa. "I don't know..."

"*Please*," insisted Jilles, and grimaced again. It was far from the expression he wanted to show, considering the situation.

Wes didn't relax. He kept gnawing at his fist, the shaking at least calming, and moved back to the couch. He didn't resist when Jilles pulled him up against him again, knowing it was for *his* benefit, but still needing it.

The outside world seemed very far away, indeed, and Jilles still wasn't sure that was a bad thing at all.

Seasonal Phantom

Kiddlet

I'm honestly not well-versed in writing enough to know what's super ~professional~, haha. It's really just a little thing though!

Sorry for the delay in response, but I really love this draft too! *-* I have only very minor nitpicks that are things I never actually said. =# When Wes is scared/anxious the the actions that I which a lot are biting his lip, scratching his scalp a lot, playing with his hair and hugging his knees. You did have two of those in there, but those are the main ones generally. And a lot of the time I write Jilles with ellipses before or after his dialogue to denoting talking slowly or softly, which he does a lot. I should have some voice samples on the site. =#
Hey, you think you'd be up to writing something about these guys? Anything goes and I don't really have a plot in mind. You can find my most recent art samples on my tumblr if you're interested.

Centaura's Queen

Glace Leau

Naw man, we cool. It is a little thing, but I totally get what you mean and I have no problem using it. Same with these things for Wes and Jilles, tbh. They all make sense and feel natural, and I like writing more with little touches.

Here is the third draft so uh
yep

It was a quiet grizzling, half-asleep and only half-convinced that it wanted to be heard. Jilles wouldn't have even heard it himself if he hadn't already been in the hallway, creeping near-silently down the carpet, heading for the toilet.

He paused outside the bedroom and hesitated, frowning to himself a little as he realized what the sound was, but it didn't really matter. He had more pressing matters on his mind, and anyway, he didn't want to get caught out of bed. He'd probably get in trouble or something. He was getting a bit bolder now, a bit more comfortable, but that didn't mean he was at the point where getting berated would be okay.

But when he came back and heard it again, slightly louder and with a definite sulking note to it, he hesitated again. It wasn't that he thought the other was going to get into trouble for making noise himself, or that he would have been kept up by the noise, it was just... there was the *kid*, and he was *upset*, and Jilles didn't much like that. He couldn't have articulated *why* he didn't like it, but that didn't make it less true.

He carefully turned the bedroom door handle, and peeked his head inside.

Wes sat on his bed, wide awake, blankets scrunched about his waist and staring at the door in surprise. Maybe he needed to go to the bathroom, too, Jilles thought, but was scared to get down? There could have been a monster under the bed or something. Or maybe he had a bad dream? Maybe he was thirsty? Standing, there with the kid staring back at him and blinking in the dim moonlight (he had pulled at the curtains, behind the headboard, parting them, and maybe the light was keeping him up?) he realized how completely out of his depth he was. What was *he* meant to do to soothe a kid, when he was barely capable of looking after himself? This was decidedly *not* his smartest idea.

The moment passed, and Wes began to grizzle again.

"Shhhh!" insisted Jilles, suddenly panicked at the idea of being caught, and stepped into the room fully, closing the door behind him with the whining still in his eyes. Wes had no intention of stopping this time, and Jilles had no idea what to do about that. He took a few steps towards the bed and Wes watched him, carefully, but didn't stop.

He looked around wildly, searching for some sort of hint, and found nothing.

"What's wrong?..." he asked, dumbly, because of course he wasn't going to *tell* him. He took a few steps closer, and Wes *did* fall silent, holding out his arms demandingly. It took a second to figure out what he wanted. "....Ohhh no," Jilles declared, shaking his head and taking a step backwards. "We are *not* ....doing the cuddles." The thought of having something cling to him, slowing him down, made his stomach churn.

Wes frowned at him and held the pose, not about to be dissuaded so easily. He opened his mouth to start grizzling again, apparently a quick learner, and Jilles waved his hands as he took a step forward again.

"Shhh!..." he insisted, but with a little less enthusiasm. He'd really put himself in it this time, hadn't he. He cast his gaze around again, but there were still no fairy godmothers or sandmen willing to help out, so he was on his own.

The realization was not a new one, but that didn't make it more welcome.

"Here..." he tried, changing his route towards the bookcase. There was a toy train on it-- one of those ones with the little key that made it go chug-chug-whirr across the table. They had no table, but he doubted that would matter, since Wes was never interested in watching it move *anyway*. (You had to be observant about such matters, when you were Jilles. There was no way around it.) He picked it up and turned back towards Wes, who was watching with some small amount of glee. Playtime after bedtime? What fun!

Jilles hesitated a final time, glancing towards the door as if expecting someone to walk in. They didn't, of course, because everyone was *asleep*, but that didn't make him feel any more comfortable with breaking the unspoken rules. Still, he was in it now, so what choice did he have?

He walked back to the bed, careful to keep his distance from the grabby kid, in case the grabbing happened despite his protests. Wes snatched the train up instantly, making quiet *choo-choo* noises and moving it through the air. s**t, he was *easy* to enter-- And then he looked at Jilles expectantly, clearly waiting for the rest of the trick.

Jilles sighed.

He reached out his hand, frowning, not quiet touching the train and squinting his eyes almost all the way shut. He wouldn't have been able to explain *this*, either, but he knew what he was doing-- he could it without all the fanfare, without all the visible effort, but it was *hard* and he didn't think that Wes was going to be blabbing that. He twisted his hand, slowly, to the side, and the key turned. Wes' eyes widened as the key brushed against his flesh even though *no-one was turning it* and Jilles thought he was about to start wailing then, except he didn't. He lost his tenuous grip on the key and it fell to the bed, where Wes' eyes widened into dinner plates as the wheels whirred rapidly in the air, the key uncranking. His jaw dropped.

He stared at Jilles, who was leaning on the wall now, with his hand pressed against his forehead. Wes clapped his hands together, once, and gurgled happily.

"Again!" he declared-- or at least that's what Jilles *thought* he said, it was kind of hard to tell, since he hadn't really entirely grasped the clear-talking thing yet. He might have been saying elephant, realistically. Either way, it was a thing that he couldn't really *do* again so quickly, 'cause his head hurt and he felt sick and it was *hard*.

"...Not yet," Jilles told him, almost in a whine, and stood there against the wall for god only knew how long. When he finally opened his eyes again, aware that Wes had been silent for a *really* long time time, he found the train thrust in his direction and a solemn face staring at him from behind it.

"Again," said Wes, insistently, and waited.

Jilles frowned, glancing at the door again, and then back at the face that wasn't grizzling and wasn't sad and was waiting, patiently, for him to perform his trick.

He sighed and reached out his hand.

Centaura's Queen

AphroditesChild
Guess who finally got a bathroom floor she can walk on? emotion_awesome

HOLY s**t I WAS CONVINCED I HAD RESPONDED TO THIS I AM

SO SORRY

I HAD THIS WHOLE SEMI-SARCASTIC / TEASING THING WRITTEN UP I have no idea what the ******** happeneddddd

But yay for bathrooms !!

catwifi

Hello I am just letting you know I haven't forgotten about you and you should have a draft by the end of the weekend ?? I have been super busy / stressed with life and writing has been like pulling teeth, so I am sorry for the delay n_n

candid silence

Hello !! I am definitely interested. I don't normally get asked to write robots, and therefore Paladin and his lovely girlfriend have sparked my interest lykwhoa.

I have a lot of questions but I owe cat a draft first ?? And also Glace some editing, because they have been super patient. So I will muse over this and let you know when I can start on yours, if that's okay ?

At this point the ideas I have are very brief, so I would be leaning towards something like a sentence set or a handful of short drabbles (showing how he deals with different people / situations) to make up the word count, instead of the longer single piece. I understand this is not to everyone's tastes though -- even I flip-flop about it -- so if you're not keen then some prompts would help a lot ! n_n
Kiddlet

Not a problem, whenever you're able to find the time is fine by me. Glad you're interested c:

I'll see what I can come up with as far as prompts go, but before that, could you explain what a sentence set is? Sorry :'D still fairly new to the writing forums.

Seasonal Phantom

Kiddlet

Thanks, you've been really awesome about everything and I appreciate it! =D That last draft is really super cute, and don't worry about making me wait or anything, you haven't taken long at all and have communicated super well, and I don't have a problem with waiting a while for you to finish things, really!

Centaura's Queen

candid silence

Thank you for understanding ! c:

Oh s**t, yes of course ! A sentence set is this. They range from 25 - 100 words (I usually work with 50), and the idea is you get a one word prompt and have to write a one sentence 'story' about it. Good for uhm, if you have a lot of little vague ideas that won't pad out to a full piece of prose.

They used to be all the rage rofl Not so much these days.

Glace Leau

You've been really awesome too ! <3

Ahhh but thank you for understanding n_n I suspect a lot of other writers here have a faster turn over, because s2g I'm not usually this slow.

But they'll be all edited by the weekend, I think ! c: I edit a shitload faster than I draft, so unless something goes horrifically wrong, it should be done in a few days.
Kiddlet

Ah, thanks for the explanation~

Here's all I could come up with, if none of them strike your fancy, I'll be happy to think of some more:
- Monica trying to help Paladin get over his hydrophobia when it starts really getting in the way of things
-The two deal/cope with the public criticism, be it media, family/friends, everyday people they pass on the streets or some combination. Bonus points if Monica gets fired over the controversy.
-On one of Monica's spur of the moment trips, her thirst for thrills and inner adventurer are pitted against Paladin's caution and need for order/security. You could also flip this and have Monica stuck inside until she tears apart the house/apartment/hotel room trying to find something to ease the boredom.
-Then there's the fluff option. Monica gets hurt in one of her more extreme ventures and must stay in the hospital for a few days to a few weeks, Paladin breaks out the dry erase markers in an effort to cheer her up ( He's pretty much a walking whiteboard )

Anxious Strawberry

it's no problem! take your time! writing is a lot harder than art stuff

Centaura's Queen

catwifi

Anya didn't make a habit of sitting outside at night if she thought she was going to have company. For one thing, the air could get kind of chilly. And for another, it just seemed sort of *rude* to expect them to hang out with her, free of any unnecessary luxuries like warmth and almost-comfortable seats.

Therefore, she was more than slightly surprised to find all her planning was for naught and she *did* have company, in the form of Levi-- staring down at her, arms crossed, unimpressed and clearly kind of irritated.

"What are you doing *outside*?" he demanded, not even arching a brow or tilting his head or softening his stance so it didn't sound like an accusation. It *was* an accusation. There was no way to deny that.

"Thinking," Anya shot back, still too caught off guard by his sudden appearance to be confused he was questioning the choices she made in regard to her own abode. Had his approach really been eerily silent, she panicked, or had she just not been paying *attention*? Then she frowned, thoughts flicking to how he could respond to *her* response. "I was here *first*-- shouldn't I be asking *you* the same thing?"

"You could," he agreed flatly. "But you won't get an answer."

They remained locked like that for a few seconds, until Anya decided she wanted to be on equal ground if she was going to be having this kind of conversation, as opposed to sitting on her back step and staring upwards at the other. She stood to meet his gaze, just as he dropped down against the rock opposite her, the timing apparently purely coincidence. She crouched there, hesitating, then sat again and pretended that had been her plan all along. They were nowhere near each other, and she wasn't entirely sure why he hadn't just walked on down the street when everything about him screamed how little he wanted to have a conversation.

*So*, the smart thing would be to... not have one, right? Forcing it wouldn't earn her any brownie points, that much was clear.

"Nice night for it," Anya remarked, half shrugging and staring upwards again, at the night sky. It was a lie of course, because it wasn't a nice night, not for anything. Not even for sitting on your back step and staring at the stars when you thought you were alone-- and *certainly* not for sharing such a thing with someone else.

Good thing Levi wasn't about to join in then, she guessed.

He didn't even respond. It was easy enough to imagine him just staring at her, deadpan, and a quick glance proved this assumption to be correct. It seemed less gloomy where he was now-- as if he'd moved forward, or the light had gotten stronger. The former, she decided.

Conversation wise, there wasn't really anywhere to go from there without Levi contributing, and he wasn't about to do *that*. Silence descended, and it was only mildly awkward-- it wasn't usually awkward at all, Anya thought, since they got along fine, but, she realized, she hadn't been *hoping* for company and this threw her. Maybe she should just go back inside? No, that would be rude. Not talk, then? Ah, that also unacceptable! Because the facts were that although Levi didn't *seem* to want to talk, he was still outside at night, and he was still waiting by her door, so something must be *really* wrong.

"Are you thinking about the wall again," he demanded, suddenly, unimpressed.

"What? No!" The denial was a little too quick, and she suspected that he didn't *believe* her, even though it was the truth. Why would he? It was kind of hard *not* to think about the wall when it was *right there*, and it was her job to make it better. Of course he expected her to be thinking about it. She had been *looking* towards it, to boot. Maybe denying was the wrong tactic...

"Don't you ever *rest*?" he snapped, folding his arms again-- this time more for comfort than to express irritation, as a barrier against the cold? She could invite him inside, but she didn't think he would react well. "You should be *sleeping*, not thinking about this s**t. You've got people relying on you, or have you *forgotten*?"

"I'm fine!" Anya insisted, without much enthusiasm, but he just made a disgusted noise and rolled his eyes. She frowned. "*You* should be asleep too, Levi."

"*I* don't need sleep," he griped-- and although the bags under his eyes argued that point, she was smart enough not to.

The silence crept closer again.

"The stars are nice too," she added, gesturing towards the sky. They weren't much to look at, so tiny and far away, but in comparison to the landscape they sat in, they were worth noting.

"The stars," Levi echoed, as if this was a concept he just didn't comprehend.

"Yes," she agreed. "Sometimes it's nice just to look at something pretty." He made another noise, this time bored, but she didn't let that deter her. "That one there? It's part of Orion's belt."

"Where's the rest of it?" he shot back, instantly, and she was caught with her mouth half open.

"Behind the roof," she declared, confidently. This was also a lie.

"What's the point in just looking *pretty*?" he demanded. "If all they do is sit there and sparkle, being useless, why give them any attention at all?"

She missed it, the fact he stared at her pointedly through this.

"Life can't be *all* doom and gloom," Anya pointed out.

"Really?" he queried, deadpan. She frowned and shrugged, unsure how to prove her point.

"They *used* to be useful," she said instead, changing the subject. "They were used for navigation."

"Gosh," Levi shot back, sarcastically. This failed to impress him in the least. "If only we had something like *a giant wall* to use as a landmark, right?"

Or the ability to venture outside it, she thought, but didn't say anything.

"It won't be like this forever," Anya stated, far more confidently than she felt. "We'll need them again one day."

He snorted. It wasn't a laugh or anything like it, but she got the impression she'd said something completely hilarious. He reached out his shoe and nudged at a stringy weed growing near the rock, the leaves limp and brown.

"I can see it," he agreed, not entirely pleasantly. She sighed, unoffended and not bothered by his attitude. It was the first thing you learned to deal with, if you wanted to be friends with the great Levi.

"Why are you here?" It wasn't what she intended to say, but close enough. The curiousity was nudging at her again. "Did you just come to check up on me, then?"

He stared at her for a second too long. It occurred to her that the playful accusation might not be entirely off. She opened her mouth to take it back, but he just snorted again.

"Why?" he asked, flatly. "Do you *need* someone to check up on you?"

Anya grinned, pretending everything was fine.

"Don't be ridiculous," she told him, and spread her hands expressively. "*I'm* perfectly fine."

He rolled his eyes again, annoyed. She hesitated, then--

"Are *you* fine, Levi?"

He didn't answer. He just stared at her. Then, he shrugged, and cast his gaze towards the sky again.

"Sure," was all he said.

Anxious Strawberry

Kiddlet
catwifi

Anya didn't make a habit of sitting outside at night if she thought she was going to have company. For one thing, the air could get kind of chilly. And for another, it just seemed sort of *rude* to expect them to hang out with her, free of any unnecessary luxuries like warmth and almost-comfortable seats.

Therefore, she was more than slightly surprised to find all her planning was for naught and she *did* have company, in the form of Levi-- staring down at her, arms crossed, unimpressed and clearly kind of irritated.

"What are you doing *outside*?" he demanded, not even arching a brow or tilting his head or softening his stance so it didn't sound like an accusation. It *was* an accusation. There was no way to deny that.

"Thinking," Anya shot back, still too caught off guard by his sudden appearance to be confused he was questioning the choices she made in regard to her own abode. Had his approach really been eerily silent, she panicked, or had she just not been paying *attention*? Then she frowned, thoughts flicking to how he could respond to *her* response. "I was here *first*-- shouldn't I be asking *you* the same thing?"

"You could," he agreed flatly. "But you won't get an answer."

They remained locked like that for a few seconds, until Anya decided she wanted to be on equal ground if she was going to be having this kind of conversation, as opposed to sitting on her back step and staring upwards at the other. She stood to meet his gaze, just as he dropped down against the rock opposite her, the timing apparently purely coincidence. She crouched there, hesitating, then sat again and pretended that had been her plan all along. They were nowhere near each other, and she wasn't entirely sure why he hadn't just walked on down the street when everything about him screamed how little he wanted to have a conversation.

*So*, the smart thing would be to... not have one, right? Forcing it wouldn't earn her any brownie points, that much was clear.

"Nice night for it," Anya remarked, half shrugging and staring upwards again, at the night sky. It was a lie of course, because it wasn't a nice night, not for anything. Not even for sitting on your back step and staring at the stars when you thought you were alone-- and *certainly* not for sharing such a thing with someone else.

Good thing Levi wasn't about to join in then, she guessed.

He didn't even respond. It was easy enough to imagine him just staring at her, deadpan, and a quick glance proved this assumption to be correct. It seemed less gloomy where he was now-- as if he'd moved forward, or the light had gotten stronger. The former, she decided.

Conversation wise, there wasn't really anywhere to go from there without Levi contributing, and he wasn't about to do *that*. Silence descended, and it was only mildly awkward-- it wasn't usually awkward at all, Anya thought, since they got along fine, but, she realized, she hadn't been *hoping* for company and this threw her. Maybe she should just go back inside? No, that would be rude. Not talk, then? Ah, that also unacceptable! Because the facts were that although Levi didn't *seem* to want to talk, he was still outside at night, and he was still waiting by her door, so something must be *really* wrong.

"Are you thinking about the wall again," he demanded, suddenly, unimpressed.

"What? No!" The denial was a little too quick, and she suspected that he didn't *believe* her, even though it was the truth. Why would he? It was kind of hard *not* to think about the wall when it was *right there*, and it was her job to make it better. Of course he expected her to be thinking about it. She had been *looking* towards it, to boot. Maybe denying was the wrong tactic...

"Don't you ever *rest*?" he snapped, folding his arms again-- this time more for comfort than to express irritation, as a barrier against the cold? She could invite him inside, but she didn't think he would react well. "You should be *sleeping*, not thinking about this s**t. You've got people relying on you, or have you *forgotten*?"

"I'm fine!" Anya insisted, without much enthusiasm, but he just made a disgusted noise and rolled his eyes. She frowned. "*You* should be asleep too, Levi."

"*I* don't need sleep," he griped-- and although the bags under his eyes argued that point, she was smart enough not to.

The silence crept closer again.

"The stars are nice too," she added, gesturing towards the sky. They weren't much to look at, so tiny and far away, but in comparison to the landscape they sat in, they were worth noting.

"The stars," Levi echoed, as if this was a concept he just didn't comprehend.

"Yes," she agreed. "Sometimes it's nice just to look at something pretty." He made another noise, this time bored, but she didn't let that deter her. "That one there? It's part of Orion's belt."

"Where's the rest of it?" he shot back, instantly, and she was caught with her mouth half open.

"Behind the roof," she declared, confidently. This was also a lie.

"What's the point in just looking *pretty*?" he demanded. "If all they do is sit there and sparkle, being useless, why give them any attention at all?"

She missed it, the fact he stared at her pointedly through this.

"Life can't be *all* doom and gloom," Anya pointed out.

"Really?" he queried, deadpan. She frowned and shrugged, unsure how to prove her point.

"They *used* to be useful," she said instead, changing the subject. "They were used for navigation."

"Gosh," Levi shot back, sarcastically. This failed to impress him in the least. "If only we had something like *a giant wall* to use as a landmark, right?"

Or the ability to venture outside it, she thought, but didn't say anything.

"It won't be like this forever," Anya stated, far more confidently than she felt. "We'll need them again one day."

He snorted. It wasn't a laugh or anything like it, but she got the impression she'd said something completely hilarious. He reached out his shoe and nudged at a stringy weed growing near the rock, the leaves limp and brown.

"I can see it," he agreed, not entirely pleasantly. She sighed, unoffended and not bothered by his attitude. It was the first thing you learned to deal with, if you wanted to be friends with the great Levi.

"Why are you here?" It wasn't what she intended to say, but close enough. The curiousity was nudging at her again. "Did you just come to check up on me, then?"

He stared at her for a second too long. It occurred to her that the playful accusation might not be entirely off. She opened her mouth to take it back, but he just snorted again.

"Why?" he asked, flatly. "Do you *need* someone to check up on you?"

Anya grinned, pretending everything was fine.

"Don't be ridiculous," she told him, and spread her hands expressively. "*I'm* perfectly fine."

He rolled his eyes again, annoyed. She hesitated, then--

"Are *you* fine, Levi?"

He didn't answer. He just stared at her. Then, he shrugged, and cast his gaze towards the sky again.

"Sure," was all he said.

THIS IS ACTUALLY REALLY PERFECT
edit:
drawing will be finished by saturday!

Centaura's Queen

catwifi

AH no rush ? It's just a draft.

Are you sure it's fine ? I can change the scenario a little if you think it's a bit dull. I mean, all they do is stand there and shoot the s**t.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff