Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
New Headquarters are here >> ]http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12800935

Welcome to the Writers Workshop
and
Contest Charity Foundation

[ Vacated Headquarters ]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You are visiting the Main Headquarters Thread.

Please see POST TWO (2) for all Contests, Guild, and Charity information, including current criteria and prizes.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Your Hosts - Sqarr & Mahayr
[ Thread | Contents ]
[ First Post | Mahayr ]
--[ Foundation News and Announcements ]
--[ Mission ]
--[ Workshop Staff ]
--[ FAQ ]

[ Second Post | Mahayr ]
--[ Charity Thread Link ]
--[ Advertising ]
--[ Contest Prizes and links ]
--[ All links in a nutshell ]

[ Third Post | Mahayr ]
--[ First Prose Contest Record ]
--[ Past Assignments ]

[ Fourth Post | Rose the Dark Thorn ]
--[ Rose - No longer on Staff due to time constraints. ]

[ Fifth Post | Major Domo ]
--[ Winners Circle - In Progress ]
--[ The Agents Comments ]

[ Sixth Post | Sqarr ]
--[ Editorials | Reports ]
--[ Memorable Workshop Quotes ]

[ Seventh Post | Rose the Dark Thorn ]
--[ Rose - No longer on Staff due to time constraints. ]

[ Eighth Post | Mahayr ]
--[ Links ]

[ Ninth Post | Mahayr ]
--[ Reserved ]

[ Foundation | News | & | Announcements ]

For CURRENT CONTEST INFORMATION see Individual Contest threads in POST 3.

PLEASE NOTE! Our commitement to support and assist with other Writing Contests may be scrutinized in the section made available for others to apply for a Grant - POST THREE in THE WW&CCF CHARITY THREAD.

--I had a message from Rose apologizing for her time constraints. She hopes to be a support in terms of entering her own submissions and doing Peer Reviews as needed.

--THANK YOU ROSE!

I have removed the "NEWS" section. To see it, visit our duplicate thread (in case of another catastrphic glitch) in the Guild, H E R E !

--Anyone interested in helping us with formal judging and decisions, please PM either Sqarr or myself.

[ Workshop | Mission ]

--This Writers Workshop exists to provide a venue for young writers to learn, practice, and compete while being given the benefit of honest feedback on their works and the opportunity to give back to this community through submissions and reciprocated peer reviews.

--Through this Workshop environment we hope to encourage community growth and development under an atmosphere of good will. With any luck, this should have a positive impact on Gaia as a whole.

--While Gaia is already rife with members more than willing to help their fellow Gaians, we believe that one can never have too many helping hands.

--Most of all, though, we do this because we hope to enjoy ourselves teaching and learning something we love.

[ Workshop | Staff ]

[ Publisher | Mahayr de Ba`Haleahr ]
--[ Workshop Management ]
--[ Public Relations ]
--[ Judging ]

[ Editor-in-Chief | Sqarr ]
--[ Proof-Reading ]
--[ Judging ]
--[ Site & Thread Administration ]
--[ Art Direction ]

[ Head of Marketting | pingpong867 ]
--[ Advertisement ]
--[ Promotional Event Planner ]
--[ Cheerleader ]

[ Agent | Major Domo ]
--[ Bookkeeping ]
--[ Donor & Sponsor Relations ]
--[ Prize & Award Handling ]

[ Frequently | Asked | Questions ]

Q: Who is my daddy?

A: We are.

Q: I've written my submission for the current Prose contest and am ready to post it, but I have to submit a Peer Review first. Whose submissions should I review?

A: Peer reviews are only required for our Prose contests. Each entrant will review the submission directly before theirs. The first entrant will review the last submission.

Poetry entrant peer reviews are optional and may be done in any order, by anyone (including non-participants). Such peer reviews are highly recommended.

We suggest that if you are in doubt of the quality of your poem, or would like to receive excellent criques before submitting, you visit the OP/L sub-forum.

Q: What are "Honourable Mentions" and why would someone be given one?

A: This is what we will be giving people who stand out from the crowd in terms of participation; people who take advice well, work hard, offer help, and generally go above and beyond what is expected of participants in our little corner of Gaia. Depending on Staff mood, the recipient may receive Gold or maybe even a choice of inventory items.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[ Current | Contest | Assignments | Scope | & | Goals]

Bumps
CURRENT BUMP CONTEST: Creative Bumping.

1. Use the first letters of the word "TOAD" to form a sentence. Example: Tigers Ordinarily Are Dangerous.

2. ***Post must also include the phrase: Writers, please see first page for contest information.***

3. DURATION: Until Further Notice, prize awarded each month. PRIZE: I have not decided, but it will be worth your while.

4. SPACE OUT YOUR POSTS. Keep the page bumped, not spammed!

5. Please number your posts this time.

Many, many thanks. I could never keep this page within easy view without help.

1. Please visit the Charity Thread H E R E for all Charity, Donation, Sponsorship, and Benefactor information including explanation of terms. We are honoured to be able to carry on the work that was started by GrantOrg.

[ Advertising | Bumping | Linking ]

2. SHORT STORIES/PROSE Contest Thread may be found H E R E.

[ Contest | Prizes ]

mrgreen First Prize - 5000 Gold or Equivalent Prizes (Winner's Choice)
mrgreen Second Prize - 3000 Gold or Equivalent Items (Winner's Choice)
mrgreen Third Prize - 1500 Gold or Equivalent Items (Winner's Choice)
exclaim Honourable Mention(s) - If any - 500 Gold or Choice of items.

Prizes awarded every 20 entries.

3. POETRY DIVISION Contest Thread may be found H E R E

[ Contest | Prizes ]

mrgreen First Prize - 1000 Gold or Equivalent Prizes (Winner's Choice)
mrgreen Second Prize - 700 Gold or Equivalent Items (Winner's Choice)
mrgreen Third Prize - 300 Gold or Equivalent Items (Winner's Choice)
exclaim Honourable Mention(s) - If any - 50 Gold or Choice of items.

Prizes awarded for every 15 entries.

[ ALL Foundation Information In a Nutshell ]

1. Foundation Headquarters Main Thread for complete information regarding Staff, Mission, Goals, Charity, CURRENT CONTESTS and more is Y O U A R E H E R E.

2. Prize Inventory (if you prefer items instead of gold) is H E R E.

3. Prose Contest Thread (current) is H E R E.

4. Poetry Contest Thread (on-going) is H E R E.

5. Guild (writing, role-play, Foundation Business) is H E R E.

6. Charity Thread is H E R E.

Please feel free to post your questions, comments, and suggestions here and I will answer them in as timely a manner as possible.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Reserved.

Dedicated Raider

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[ Major Domo's | Agent | Station ]

EDIT IN PROGRESS
<center>User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.-----User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[ Editorials | Reports ]</center>

<center>User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[ Memorable | Workshop | Quotes ]</center>

"We live in a society [...] that is enforced by yellow tape." - Edge of the World [Original Version] - pingpong867

<center>User Image</center>

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
[ Links | Worth | Visiting ]

[ Pricing | Guides ]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[ For | Writers ]

User Image User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image

[ Shoppes ]

User ImageUser Image

[ Fun ]

[ Charities | Information | Other ]

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
First Bump Contest Results - Ended 3/13/06

There were 55 total bumps. While several did not include the asked-for phrase, I am not going to count that against anyone, although in this case it does not really make any difference.

WINNER: nomee with 24 bumps. Thank you nomee!

She was followed so closely by Leonis that I am going to give them both something!

I do hope the second round will see more bumps, enough to keep this thread at least in the middle of the forum at all times.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
It might be nice to be able to be here 24/7 to keep this in view... BUT! Alas, the horse auction was calling.. calling...
And they're off!

NataliaDisfontes is our first participant with a hefty submission that will need to be reviewed. Oh, who, oh, who shall be so kind?

Oh, okay, I'll do it! But not right this minute. The whole horse auction thing, you know... I'm just exhausted. And then we watched--omigod--"To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything," and I've just gone all Madame on myself and I'm feeling all cramped and it just isn't working. I'm sorry! I'll be back after sleep.

The next submission to be made will still need to be accompanied by a Peer Review of her piece, however. Don't think my critique will save anyone from that! I'm a judge. It's my job. Leave it alone!

Did I just break a nail...? Omigod... redface

Yes, yes, there is some confusion about the rules for Peer Reviews! I'm sorry! Thankfully, it only really affects Natalia, who has had herself all nice and straightened out.

Do you like my new dress? Does it make me look too hippy?

I'll fix the damned rules soon. Don't getcha panties in a bunch, girlfriend!

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Well isn't he... something! Hahaha.
I apologise if this isn't the place to ask.

A guild I'm involved in is currently running a prose competition, and we need two more judges. Is there any chance you could help - at this stage we cannot pay you anything.

There are 14 entries so far - each 300 words.

Regardless of whether or not you can help me, good luck with your current venture, it looks promising. smile
Mahayr
Well isn't he... something! Hahaha.

*tweak* Something, alright.

Meanwhile
I apologise if this isn't the place to ask.

A guild I'm involved in is currently running a prose competition, and we need two more judges. Is there any chance you could help - at this stage we cannot pay you anything.

There are 14 entries so far - each 300 words.

Regardless of whether or not you can help me, good luck with your current venture, it looks promising. smile

Can't say as I'm all that great at judging prose, myself, but Mahayr will do it, for sure.

That's right; I blatantly promised her efforts without consulting her about it in any way.

Vengeance is mine! Bwaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha!

*cough*

*mutter*

She's ALWAYS doing that to me.
I have a few questions:

I looked over the rules several times, and I find that it makes no mention of whether we should post our entries here, or if we should PM them to someone. So which one did you have in mind?

Also, you mentioned an "example submission" for the first contestant to review. I saw, though I may not be the first contestant to submit, that someone else will not have anything to review, which is one of the things that was stressed in the rules/guidelines. Could this be posted in the near future?

Needless to say, I am very interested in this contest, and I am brainstorming ideas as I write this. Oh, and one more thing, I really like how this contest was set up, the format and everything. Very attractive to a possible contestant.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff