Welcome to Gaia! ::

Peaceful Lunatic

Limitless Stupidity

My best friend is currently in her senior year of the Architecture program at our college. =) She really likes it, though when she gets to talking about the particulars of her studio projects, I never really get what she's saying half the time, haha. It's always interesting to try following it though. Last time I talked to her, her class had to visit a local brewery to learn what is involved at such a place because her studio project this semester is to design an original brewery.

Our college sure knows how to prioritize its projects.

Since you started out in Architecture, do you enjoy drawing?

Oh, yes, special education definitely makes it easy for recent graduates to get a job. The field is so understaffed that they even take people who aren't fully certified yet, and just let them take night classes while they're teaching. I think the best part about it, though, is the people I've met. There are some amazing people working in special education, oh my goodness. I'm not working yet due to special circumstances, but I'm excited for when I do start in on the career. I studied and worked primarily with people who have multiple and comprehensive disabilities as opposed to sticking only to speech pathology, so I don't know too much about speech therapy (except for during IEP meetings where I spoke with speech therapists regarding some of my kids, I didn't really get too exposed to that avenue).

Congrats on having two novels that are almost publishable! -is envious-

Yeah, getting an agent and sending out query letters and getting the inevitable stack of rejections in the mail isn't going to be a fun time, I don't think. It's cool that you've kind of gone through the process a little bit already though. I feel like it's something that gets easier the more you do it.

Well a brewery would have to have special accommodations, hah. At least for storing those giant barrels or vats. And yeah, I like drawing. Back in school, I was drawing a lot (I took one drawing class multiple times because the professor was so cool, lol). But I've gotten out of practice with that in focusing on my writing. I still doodle a bit, but if I want a pic done for something, I usually ask my sister.

I think I'm going to end up jumping from project to project for the rest of the year, so no time to start something new. By the way, have you heard of NaNoWriMo? It might be more intimidating than this challenge, though. I'm gearing up for doing that again.
phantomkitsune
I mostly fly places, because sitting in one place for more than twelve hours tends to make my back decide that okay no I really don't need to move at all. But I have good painkillers and some anti-inflammatories to take with me, so it'll mostly just be an adventure. I got to fly from Canada to DC earlier this year to hang out with my dad for a bit and go on a classic bike ride - that was pretty awesome. Luckily my flights weren't delayed at all, there were just long layovers.

The rides from friends will definitely be the best part of the trip. I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

Work is really unhappy to see me go, though - I've been offered a raise and also for the boss to pay my rent for the next few months. I kind of want to cry, because I really love my job but it's much better for me to move back.

The languages thing is way easier because I was in French Immersion as a kid. I'm not super-proficient in any of them anymore, though, because I don't really practice.

Jet lag really sucks. sad Does soporific tea help you at all?

Flying definitely lets you sit down in one place for shorter periods than driving, but the seats on the flight are so uncomfortable that I almost prefer being in the car where I can stop when I want to, adjust the seat to make myself more comfortable, not sit directly next to a stranger, and just take it slow. Yay for good painkillers - those come in handy during travel days!

That classic bike ride experience does sound awesome. =)

Wow, you have one pretty fantastic boss where you currently are. It's always hard to quit a job that you enjoy and where you get along with your co-workers and have friends, but only you know what the best decision for you is, and if moving is the way to go, then I'm sure you'll be better off. Do you have another job prepared for where you're going?

I haven't tried soporific tea before; does it work for you? I'd be willing to give it a try next time!
Ysavvryl
Well a brewery would have to have special accommodations, hah. At least for storing those giant barrels or vats. And yeah, I like drawing. Back in school, I was drawing a lot (I took one drawing class multiple times because the professor was so cool, lol). But I've gotten out of practice with that in focusing on my writing. I still doodle a bit, but if I want a pic done for something, I usually ask my sister.

I think I'm going to end up jumping from project to project for the rest of the year, so no time to start something new. By the way, have you heard of NaNoWriMo? It might be more intimidating than this challenge, though. I'm gearing up for doing that again.

Yeah, I've heard of NaNoWriMo, but I've never given it a try. I feel like that would just set me up for failure since I stink at writing fast - definitely intimidating. I wish you luck tackling that monster of a challenge! =)

Dangerous Enabler

Most soporific tea just kind of shuts down my respiratory system, which is . . . not the best result. But Sleepytime Tea works for a few people I know, and it's pretty readily available.

My boss is pretty amazing - it looks like I'll be able to keep my job and just do the ad and website work that's like 70% of my job right now, but do it from Wisconsin. It's going to be pretty amazing.

I've tried NaNo a couple of time, mostly with terrible results. I end up with 10k and then I get distracted by something else.

Romantic Prophet

9,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Forum Regular 100
Limitless Stupidity
Do share! I could use as much advice as I can get!

Well, I'm always happy to help emotion_c8

Obviously not all advice is for everyone, as there is no definite way of following a path that will basically declare "I'm a writer!". Most of the times, it's just a matter of finding out what works for you.

With me, I'm already use to writing longer pieces of work. Usually what I do is I sit myself down and write out a very basic plotline so that I'll have something to follow as I write, instead of writing randomly then getting stuck into a corner because I don't know what should happen next. If I feel up to it, I'll go into a bit more detail, but not so much that I'll grow bored of the actual work because I've already figured everything out. Plan, but leave room to adjust and add things as you see fit.

After that, which you can choose to do or not I just find that it's easier, is probably the most obvious step. It's already been said too, so I'll just simply repeat it. Write. Don't stop, sit yourself down and push out something everyday. I went to a writing retreat once, and our instructor told us that we weren't allowed to look back on what we wrote until we were ready to edit. That means write it, no looking back, no adjusting, just get it out of your system. Then, tuck it away for awhile so that when you come back to edit, it's new to your eyes and you can judge it as it is.

A last small piece of advice (I suppose) that I have found helps me greatly. For those who find themselves in a slump and unwilling to sit down and write for whatever reason, I've been there too. We all have. This I have found helps incredibly with that. Whenever I'm feeling lazy, I just read that and I'm inspired to write more. It may not be the same with everyone, but if it helps a few people get inspired then all the better.

Well, I've actually already an idea formulating in my head. I'm on to continue my own planning. I hope everyone who's participating has a wonderful time writing. May the best writer win. emotion_dowant
phantomkitsune
Most soporific tea just kind of shuts down my respiratory system, which is . . . not the best result. But Sleepytime Tea works for a few people I know, and it's pretty readily available.

My boss is pretty amazing - it looks like I'll be able to keep my job and just do the ad and website work that's like 70% of my job right now, but do it from Wisconsin. It's going to be pretty amazing.

I've tried NaNo a couple of time, mostly with terrible results. I end up with 10k and then I get distracted by something else.

That's great! Your boss does sound pretty amazing - it's incredible that you'll still be able to work from a distance, not to mention having a job from home sounds like a dream come true. I'd love to be able to work from home, what with all the traveling I do.

Yeah, I feel like I wouldn't even get to 10k in NaNoWriMo, haha.

Ever since I got home, my writing has been pretty much nonexistent. I've been distracted by Skyrim... >.>
Victorias Doll

Well, I'm always happy to help emotion_c8

Obviously not all advice is for everyone, as there is no definite way of following a path that will basically declare "I'm a writer!". Most of the times, it's just a matter of finding out what works for you.

With me, I'm already use to writing longer pieces of work. Usually what I do is I sit myself down and write out a very basic plotline so that I'll have something to follow as I write, instead of writing randomly then getting stuck into a corner because I don't know what should happen next. If I feel up to it, I'll go into a bit more detail, but not so much that I'll grow bored of the actual work because I've already figured everything out. Plan, but leave room to adjust and add things as you see fit.

After that, which you can choose to do or not I just find that it's easier, is probably the most obvious step. It's already been said too, so I'll just simply repeat it. Write. Don't stop, sit yourself down and push out something everyday. I went to a writing retreat once, and our instructor told us that we weren't allowed to look back on what we wrote until we were ready to edit. That means write it, no looking back, no adjusting, just get it out of your system. Then, tuck it away for awhile so that when you come back to edit, it's new to your eyes and you can judge it as it is.

A last small piece of advice (I suppose) that I have found helps me greatly. For those who find themselves in a slump and unwilling to sit down and write for whatever reason, I've been there too. We all have. This I have found helps incredibly with that. Whenever I'm feeling lazy, I just read that and I'm inspired to write more. It may not be the same with everyone, but if it helps a few people get inspired then all the better.

Well, I've actually already an idea formulating in my head. I'm on to continue my own planning. I hope everyone who's participating has a wonderful time writing. May the best writer win. emotion_dowant

Thanks for your input! I hope you don't mind - I quoted you on the first page so that others can take advantage of your advice as well. =)

I sat down to write and it took me like two hours just to get through with 200 words, which is definitely ludicrous, especially since those 200 words ended up sucking thoroughly. I dunno what's up with me this week, but it's not starting out very productively. I'm going with the don't look back theory, however, and am keeping my sucky 200 words instead of deleting them. I know they are awful, but at least they moved the story along a little bit, which is what I need.

Anywho, great advice. I'll be sure to check out that link, too!

Dangerous Enabler

Yeah, my boss is awesome. He's taking us all to an adventure park next week to celebrate our ridiculously good year.

I was super-lazy today with writing: mostly recharging from my week. I finished a bag I was working on, and starting the drawstring for it, and then I started working on my EMT story and got some of that more outlined, so at least I've been a little productive.

Oh, and got the Colosseum up and running again. That's been months in the planning, though, and doesn't really count.
Wow, an adventure park sounds like quite the little bonus!

My mom's boss is awesome like that - randomly takes them all out to dinner and makes accommodations for employee situations. Like my mom just had knee surgery, and they're letting her work from home for six weeks while she recovers. I'm constantly amazed by the kindness displayed at her workplace - definitely envious. I've had some pretty grungy bosses, lol.

A little productive is better than nothing! You sew?

I managed to churn out about a thousand words today, bringing my total up to 28k. I'm hoping to get to 30k by this weekend, but we'll see. I've been lazy with it too this whole week, just playing Skyrim and doing stuff around the house.

And now watching The Big Bang Theory. Ah, the joys of cable.

Dangerous Enabler

Wow, you are making serious progress.

My workplace is neat - we're all friends, too. The head mechanic helped me move, and we had a movie night a couple months ago, and we have cake or cupcakes for everyone's birthday, and always pretend the cake has just appeared from nowhere, or we found it on the road or something.

I knit. I sew a bit, too, but mostly knitting. Right now I'm working on dice bags for a couple friends and socks for my mom. The socks are going slowly because the needles are tiny and hurt my hands to work with for too long.

I haven't been getting a ton done in terms of writing. It kind of sucks. But I'm getting some outlining done, which is good.
Thanks! I got another thousand words out today, so just a thousand to go before 30k! Plus the story is actually starting to pick up, so that's exciting. I can't wait to get to this one point in the story that's probably about 10k words away, because my main characters will be journeying through this quarantined area of the world and it's going to be so packed full of issues, lol. I like writing about issues!

That's awesome that you knit - I used to sew some, but I've gotten out of practice. I sewed a purse for my sister who is a purse nut, and a couple other bags and pj pants, but that was about it as far as my sewing talent goes. I can still do hemming though, so that's a plus. So you use different needles for the socks than you do for other projects? Did it take you long to learn?

Outlining is good - it sets up a good foundation for future writing. =)

I had to spend $150 bucks today to get my wedding ring fixed. Unexpected expenses are so annoying. =/

Dangerous Enabler

You're making me want to get my butt in gear - I finished the drawstring and made progress on the sock and started another bag, but didn't manage to write anything today. I'm also not really sure what project to work on, though: everything I write in the thing that needs to be done soon is kind of anticlimactic. I think I might need to blow something up.

For knitting, you use different needles depending on the weight and thickness of the yarn: so the really heavy yarn I'm using for the bags are 7mm diameter, and the ones I'm using for socks are 3mm. For most things, 4-5mm needles work pretty well.

Unexpected expenses definitely suck.
Do you ever knit/sew stuff for people for their birthdays or other assorted gift-giving holidays? I always thought it'd be such a save in money to be able to create stuff for family members instead of having to buy them all things. Plus, I personally love receiving things that family members create, and even think they're more meaningful and special.

I challenge you to write 200 words tomorrow. =)

If you do, I shall... give you a cookie!

Ah, I see! I didn't know that about knitting. It sounds more complicated than I would have expected. You make me wanna get a hobby. Maybe I should take up parcheesi. Or cooking, my husband would enjoy that one. Then I could actually bake the cookie I plan to give you tomorrow instead of buy it from a girl scout down the street.

My Sister's Keeper is one sad movie. Dad gum. Glad it didn't end like the book though.

Dangerous Enabler

I mostly just knit stuff and send it to them when I'm done - my dad's supposed Father's Day present got there at some point in May, I think. But I am horrible at birthdays, so sending presents whenever kind of works.

I will meet that challenge!

Does the movie actually have a happy ending?
That does sound nice, to just send gifts when they're ready. I have to keep all the various birthdays in my family marked on a calendar so I don't forget them. It gets kind of ridiculous when the family is growing so much.

I shall expect a full report on your progress, soldier! =)

No, I wouldn't consider the movie's ending happy, but at least it's more realistic in my opinion. It flows more naturally and makes the story seem more like real life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff