Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, so this is something new for me. Instead of running one big contest, I’m going to run a few smaller contests in this one thread. Now, here’s the way it works. There are three contests—a short story contest, a drabble contest, and a poetry/lyrics contest. Each contest has a different type of prompt that you are expected to build your entry on—the story contest will be based on quotes, the poetry will be based on pictures, and the drabbles will be based on words or objects. Everyone understand? If not….ask, and I’ll do my best to clarify!

Deadline: August 10th

Intro | Rules | Announcements | Black/White Lists | Short Story Contest Info | Drabble Contest Info | Poetry/Lyrics Contest Info | Judges/Contestants | Prizes | Winners | Reserved | Reserved
Rules

General Rules
1. Follow all ToS, of course. The first and most obvious.

2. Be respectful to one another and to me. We don’t need anyone in here picking fights and disrupting the flow of things, and I would prefer it if such things were either forgotten about entirely or taken to the PMs.

Submissions
3. No plagiarizing. Use your brain to come up with something original, and don’t believe that you’ll be able to get through life passing others’ work off as your own—you won’t.

4. Keep everything PG-13 and under, kiddies. That’s right—that means no cybering, inside or outside your stories. Don’t even take it to the PMs....or if you do, don't mention that you are. Just….find something else to do with your time, okay?

5. NO FANFICTION. I think this rule speaks for itself. This isn’t to say I don’t love fanfiction—I do, I read and write it obsessively. But that doesn’t mean I want it in my contest.

6. You may enter all the contests, but you may only enter one submission per contest. You may also enter only one or two of the three contests—how many you enter is your choice. Make sense?

7. All entries must be posted in the thread—PMed entries will be ignored.

8. You may edit your entry up until the due date, but let me know if you decide to do so, because I will be trying to judge entries as they are submitted instead of judging them all at the end. Hopefully you guys won’t have to wait so long for the results that way.

9. Please don't enter something that has won or placed in a previous contest. Give the others a chance, please!

Last, and (in my opinion) most important....
10. Have fun! Don’t be afraid to chat, make friends….loosen up and enjoy life a little!

I’m not going to be one of those people who insists that their word is law—I’m always willing to negotiate. But I will be working on a “three strikes and you’re out” policy, so please follow these rules to the best of your ability.

Intro | Rules | Announcements | Black/White Lists | Short Story Contest Info | Drabble Contest Info | Poetry/Lyrics Contest Info | Judges/Contestants | Prizes | Winners | Reserved | Reserved
Announcements

6/8/07 I am now looking for a judge for the drabble contest and a judge for the poetry/lyrics contest. If you want to judge one of these two contests, you may not enter the contest you are judging. You may, however, still enter the other two contests.

6/15/07 All judging positions have been FILLED.

6/22/07 There seem to be some problems with the pictures for the poetry contest, so please give me some time to try and fix it. THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION. (Just for future information.)

7/3/07 The poetry contest links have been fixed (I think). Also, the criteria lists have been very mildly tweaked, as well, so judges, please take a look. It's a very small change, but....it's a change!

7/25/07 The poetry contest is now closed to new entries.

8/9/07 The short story contest is now closed to new entries.

8/10/07 Contest is now closed for judging.

The Lists

White List
Mahayr and the Foundation - for granting me the gold needed for this contest
Caladhiel - for being the first to officially enter
Imoto Lehcar, QueenOfMidnightRoses, serpenteyes, Sribbling Scribe, riterchick, and Techno_Nirate_Bunny - my judges, who will probably make judging go a lot faster, thereby saving me from being tarred, feathered, and/or flogged
Days - for being awesome and giving me links that will (hopefully) work for the poetry contest
everyone who tried to help me figure out the poetry contest crisis (COMPUTERS SUCK!!!)

Black List
Poetry Contest Links - They're living, breathing creatures, I tell you, and THEY WANT TO EAT ME ALIVE!!!
Wanderlust14 - for not getting off her lazy rear and writing something

Short Story Contest

The short story contest is now closed to new entries.

Entry Information
Word Count: 1000 to 7000 words (I will be lenient on word counts, but please do your best to keep to the count.)
Entry Fee: None
Submission Form:
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Contest:[/b]
[b]Title:[/b]
[b]Word Count:[/b]
[b]Prompt:[/b]
[b]Story:[/b]

Prompts (choose one or more)
~ “You can want things to happen or you can make things happen.” –Unknown

~“There’s moments in your life that make you, that set the course for who you’re gonna be. Sometimes, they’re little, subtle moments. Sometimes…they’re not. Bottom line is, even if you see ‘em comin’, you’re not ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change, not really. But it does. So what are we? Helpless? Puppets? No. The big moments are gonna come, you can’t help that. It’s what you do afterwards that counts. That’s when you find out who you are.” –Whistler, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

~“Passion. It lies in all of us, sleeping, waiting, and though unwanted, unbidden, it will stir, open its jaws, and howl. It speaks to us, guides us. Passion rules us all, and we obey. What other choice do we have? ….It hurts sometimes, more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we’d know some kind of peace, but we would be hollow; empty rooms, shuttered and dank. Without passion, we’d truly be dead.” –Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

~“Strength is great and Power strikes fear into heroes and villains alike, but someone who follows their heart, putting their loved ones first, damning the consequences, and even themselves in the process... Believe me, those people, they're worth payin' attention to.”
–Whistler, Outside Humanity by Drake Roberts (fanfiction author)

~“Skin breaks so easily, it makes me wonder if we were meant to hurt.” –wild wolf free17 (fanfiction author)

~“Evil is always possible. Goodness is a difficulty.” –Anne Rice

~“Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.”
–Wesley, The Princess Bride

~“Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.”
–Unknown

~“You can bail all the tears you want, but the saving thing has more to do with the hospitality of your heart. Together we sink. Together we float. Together. That’s the small, tender mercy of the ride.” –Sue Monk Kidd

~“The children of killers are not killers, but children.” –Elie Wiesel

The quote does not actually have to be included in the piece, but your story must be built on the prompt you choose, and I should be able to easily tell why you chose the prompt you did.

Criteria
Originality: 10 pts.
Character Development: 10 pts.
Plot Development: 10 pts.
Adherence to Prompt/Guidelines: 10 pts (5 for prompt, 5 for guidelines)
Spelling/Grammar: 5 pts.
Overall Enjoyment: 5 pts.
Total: 50 pts.

Drabble Contest Information

The drabble contest is now closed to new entries.

Entry Information
Word Count: 100 to 150 words
Submission Form:
[b]Word Count:[/b]
[b]Prompt #:[/b]
[b]Drabble:[/b]

Prompts (choose one to five words)
1. passion
2. love
3. coffee
4. summer
5. jelly beans
6. books
7. blade
8. blanket
9. glass
10. jewelry

These words may be taken however you want, but the story must be built on the words. Simply mentioning your prompt choice in a single sentence is not enough.

Criteria
Originality: 5 pts.
Word Count and Use: 10 pts.
Adherence to Prompt/Guidelines: 10 pts. (5 for prompt, 5 for guidelines)
Total: 30 pts.

Poetry/Lyrics Contest Information

The poetry contest is now closed to new entries.

Entry Information
Word Count: None
Submission Form:
[b]Prompt #:[/b]
[b]Poem/Song:[/b]

Prompts (choose one to three)
Picture #1
Picture #2
Picture #3
Picture #4
Picture #5
Picture #6
Picture #7
Picture #8
Picture #9
Picture #10

Criteria
Use of Poetic Devices*: 10 pts.
Spelling/Grammar: 5 pts.
Adherence to Prompt/Guidelines: 10 pts (5 for prompt, 5 for guidelines)
Total: 30 pts.

*similes, metaphors, allusion, onomatopoeia, personification, rhyme (internal, slant, end), apostrophe, etc.—please use 2 or more

Judges

Short Story: Wanderlust14, Scribbling Scribe
Drabble: Imoto Lehcar, QueenOfMidnightRoses, serpenteyes
Poetry/Lyrics Techo_Nirate_Bunny, serpenteyes, riterchick

When the contest closes, the judges of each contest should judge all the entries and then send their scores to me. I will average out the total scores of each contestant and decide the winner that way.

I am not accepting any more judges at this time.

Contestants

Short Story Contest
1. Caladhiel - pg 3 - Eyes
2. SydelleRein - pg. 21 - Master's Trial
3. Rino-chan - pg. 27 - Love of a Killer
4. Cotton Fluffball - pg. 27 - The Mistake
5. CharlieClear-Eyes - pg. 35 - Called to Darkness
6. [.Zephyr.] - pg. 38 - Heart of Orion
7. Kohana13 - pg. 39 - Her Name Was Kate
8. You Got Godmail - pg. 52 - Rain Down
9. [ .days. ] - pg. 55 - Everywhere But Here
10. gloria_wong_91 - pg. 59 - Eight
11. Seraply - pg. 60 - Paulie 1
12. knight_of_chivalry - pg. 60 - A Rude Awakening
13. -_-Xan91-_- - pg. 64 - The Storm Called Life
14. Strude - pg. 64 - Feet
15. woopdidoodoo - pg. 69 - The Pack
16. Secret Smile - pg. 69 - Watching Jasper
17. giraffie - pg. 78 - Someone to Lean On
18. RyokushinYuroshima - pg. 78 - The Vampire
19. BlueMusic44 - pg. 78 - Lost in Time
20. Gaaloratan - pg. 78 - Broken Wings

Drabble Contest
1. Caladhiel - pg 3 - My Security Blanket
2. Moya of the Mist - pg. 8 - Deaf
3. SmexySexKitten - pg. 16 - My God
4. american_idiot_gd - pg. 17 - It Was
5. Pasta Cheif - pg. 26 - Ultra-Violet
6. lampshaded - pg. 38 - Tuesday Mornings
7. Lilymaiden - pg. 41 - The Journey
8. WynnFire - pg. 42 - Too Much to Live For
9. the hidden ghost - pg. 45 - Three Words
10. Yonder-chan - pg. 55 - Untitled
11. Pouring_Blood_In_My_Heart - pg. 57 - Glass Heart
12. giraffie - pg. 76 - Where the Story Ends
13. Loopylupe - pg. 77 - Simple Passion and Love
14. woopdidoodoo - pg. 80 - Sweet Addiction

Poetry/Lyrics Contest
1. QueenOfMidnightRoses - pg 7 - My Faerie
2. knight_of_chivalry - pg. 8 - Raven
3. SmexySexKitten - pg 8 - Angelic Music
4. american_idiot_gd - pg. 17 - The Shadow's Bird
5. Zwingli - pg. 17 - Copper
6. xXBlackMoonshineXx - pg. 18 - Reflect
7. Ladycathren - pg. 21 - Forever Damned
8. SydelleRein - pg. 21 - Freedom
9. tishie - pg. 33 - World of Madness
10. Potlicker30 - pg. 34 - Sorry Dear
11. Shiua - pg. 38 - Melt
12. Misty_Sora_Girl - pg. 41 - The Moon Is Like My Heart
13. TurboXgen - pg. 42 - That One Special Someone
14. Lilymaiden - pg. 42 - Passing Time
15. Fantasyrulz - pg. 43 - Immortal
16. Bunni Pyrewulf - pg. 45 - My Destruction
17. luvinghim - pg. 47 - I Miss You
18. ceri27 - pg. 47 - The Fear of the Raven
19. Sakura-Chibi-Chan3 - pg. 56 - Embraced in Wings
20. HappienessBliss - pg. 58 - The Dance

If all the slots are filled before the end of the contest, then I’ll close the contest early and start the judging. However….knowing my contests, I don’t see that happening. xd

Prizes

Short Story Contest
1st place: 10k and the story will be posted in my journal (with credit to the author, of course)
2nd place: 5k
3rd place: 2k

Drabble Contest
1st place: 3k and the story will be posted in my journal (with credit to the author, of course)
2nd place: 2k
3rd place: 1k

Poetry/Lyrics Contest
1st place: 7k and the story will be posted in my journal (with credit to the author, of course)
2nd place: 5k
3rd place: 2k

Winners

Short Story Contest
1st place: Rino-chan (Love of a Killer)
2nd place: [ .days. ] (Everywhere but Here)
3rd place: Secret Smile (Watching Jasper)

Drabble Contest
1st place: Moya of the Mist (Deaf)
2nd place: Lilymaiden (The Journey)
3rd place: Caladhiel (My Security Blanket)

Poetry/Lyrics Contest
1st place: SmexySexKitten (Angelic Music)
2nd place: Zwingli (Copper)
3rd place: SydelleRein (Freedom)

Reserved for possible future use.

Reserved for possible future use.

This contest is now OPEN. Enter, rejoice, and come in!

Also....if anyone thinks changes need to be made, please feel free to talk to me about it and I'll see if we can't come up with some sort of compromise.
I'll enter the short story, if that's alright.
Looking at you, holding my breath.

*gasp*

A contest!

With prompts!

*plans to enter*

For once in my life, I'm scared to death.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff