Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Solarised Night

You can't, that's why I said it was a glitch. To be fair, first frost is only a partial skin. It is more like an accessory that colours certain areas white. I still don't think you are meant to wear both.

Ah, yeah, but I'm used to one unequipping the other. I thought it was a glitch in the layering/clipping, which are the only glitches I've seen before, heh.

Probably not, but who cares? It looks awesome, and really isn't that what it's all about? I don't see why they wouldn't want to allow it.

Roy Alexis's Queen

No Sex Symbol

18,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Rotsab M. Hyolf

Yeah. I feel like he must have known he was doomed, so for him to cave in at the last moment was really jarring. He could have died a hero, and instead he shamed his name and, even if he had lived, his entire family. It was a selfish choice to make. I had thought it would come down to either he surviving or Drogo, so I went with Drogo. I was not pleased when neither one made it, haha.

(Though, actually, I was pissed at Danni for that. If that little boy was able to be comatose for months and pull through, whose to say the stronger adult man wouldn't be able to? )

I was cheering for the dragons, no lie. xD I hope she smites them all, if I'm being completely honest. Definitely the girl I'm rooting for. (Along with Jaime Lannister, because he's too fabulous not to love. )

In terms of when it aired; It started near the start of the month for Canada? Are you in the States, Yutora? I tend to think it would start around the same time. (Although, the US tends to get things a few days earlier than Canada.)

Exactly! I still don't understand why he gave in... I saw him as a man with much more pride, and I would have bet anything that he wouldn't cave. Glad I didn't. Yes... Drogo dying annoyed the hell out of me; though I do like his death and I am okay with it. What, at Dany ? I can't be mad at her. She's my favorite. lol.

I am with you on cheering for Dany... but no, just no to Jaime. I have a hate/love thing going on with him. I just can't be entirely sure about him.

US always tends to be the first. But no, I just moved back to Germany. And I checked when it will air here; May 24th. So glad I speak english, lol. I would hate having to wait longer.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Yutora

Exactly! I still don't understand why he gave in... I saw him as a man with much more pride, and I would have bet anything that he wouldn't cave. Glad I didn't. Yes... Drogo dying annoyed the hell out of me; though I do like his death and I am okay with it. What, at Dany ? I can't be mad at her. She's my favorite. lol.

I am with you on cheering for Dany... but no, just no to Jaime. I have a hate/love thing going on with him. I just can't be entirely sure about him.

US always tends to be the first. But no, I just moved back to Germany. And I checked when it will air here; May 24th. So glad I speak english, lol. I would hate having to wait longer.

Yeah, exactly. I think they were trying to imply he was doing it for his daughter, but it didn't come across that way. I think if they'd showed him battling the decision a little more, or something?

Oh, I love her too. I thought it was silly of her to kill him, though. If Bram/the boy had died a slow horrible death because the mother wasn't willing to let him go, then it could have contrasted nicely and been more acceptable. As it was we had already seen one person recover, so to try and justify killing someone else with the same symptoms was strange; to me, at least.

I love magnificent bastards, and he really takes the cake for that, haha. His lines, his attitude, the way he carries himself. He's also fighting for love, and has some sense of honour in terms of his attitude towards his brother and his reaction to Ned being wounded so he could kill him easily. I could do without him being madly inlove with his sister, but he seems much more tragically heroic than evil (unlike his son, who also amuses me to no end, though I wouldn't say I like him). His line about Ned respecting him more if he'd stabbed the Mad King in the belly, rather than the back, was really poignant.

Also, I think it's really wrong that you and Solar should have to wait. I'm not sure why it can't open at the same time everywhere (well, relatively 'same time,' Australia would get it first). That's cool that you're in Germany, though! I tried to learn German in school, but it didn't go very well. We had to watch a teenage soap opera to try and learn it, haha.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
well I better get to reading these last two entries

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Why is it that nearly every single one of you switches from past to present tense, misuses elipses, and uses fragments? lol

Roy Alexis's Queen

No Sex Symbol

18,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Rotsab M. Hyolf

That is one of the things I dislike about moving back to Germany. Stuff always tends to come out a month or even a few months later; meaning I would usually get spoilers to no end. Oh god... I really do hope it wasn't a german soap opera... They are so awful, to me at least.

Oh I do agree with you on those traits of his. It's part of the reason I have a love/hate going on with him. He really has me giggling a lot of times with his remarks. Yes, he has honour. And the fact that he is in love with his sister is part of my annoyance, since I really, really dislike her. Their son is just like his mother, which means I don't like him either.

I still wouldn't have been too pleased about his decision to do it for her.

And that's true. But maybe Dany just couldn't deal with it all? I mean, seeing him like that and all. I also believe his death made her stronger.

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Solarised Night
Why is it that nearly every single one of you switches from past to present tense, misuses elipses, and uses fragments? lol

To be fair, a lot of modern writing does use the present/past tense switching in terms of 'ing' and 'ed' in the same sentence. Technically the Chiago Manual of Style says you can use ellipses for a pause, and... fragments are cool, okay? xDD

Yutora
That is one of the things I dislike about moving back to Germany. Stuff always tends to come out a month or even a few months later; meaning I would usually get spoilers to no end. Oh god... I really do hope it wasn't a german soap opera... They are so awful, to me at least.

Oh I do agree with you on those traits of his. It's part of the reason I have a love/hate going on with him. He really has me giggling a lot of times with his remarks. Yes, he has honour. And the fact that he is in love with his sister is part of my annoyance, since I really, really dislike her. Their son is just like his mother, which means I don't like him either.

I still wouldn't have been too pleased about his decision to do it for her.

And that's true. But maybe Dany just couldn't deal with it all? I mean, seeing him like that and all. I also believe his death made her stronger.

Oh, geeze, I can imagine. We're usually only a few days off from the US airtimes and there are tons of spoilers (Looking at you, Eureka.)

Ahaha, I think most soap operas are terrible, in all fairness. I tend to think it was German, but I have no idea. They inter-spaced subtitles into it, replayed scenes slowly, so forth so kids could grasp what was being said more easily. I was not one of those kids who grasped it more easily this way. xD I came out knowing to say St. Nicholaus instead of Santa Claus, pronounce father as 'Vader' instead of 'Fater' and... a few other, miscellaneous things. Unlauts were a big thing, and pronouncing the second vowel instead of the first. Oh, and the 'e' not being silent at the end of words!

Technically Canada is bilingual, and I'm not even that. It's shameful, really, though from what I hear it has to do with the education system and a major portion of Canadians (particularly from Ontario) not being able to speak French despite it being a mandatory school course.

Ah, okay, that's understandable then. I really like her, personally; she's a woman trapped in a man's world. She, like Jaime, would do anything for the one she loves; except in this case it's her son. She was married young to a man who didn't love her and wasn't fidel, and the man she did love she could never admit to being with. I think the son is a lot worse than the mother, but the pure evil of him just makes me laugh. I can appreciate it in a show with so many morally grey characters.

That would make sense with Dany, yeah. Realistically, she couldn't stay in one spot anyways; or take him with her, really. It still made me sad to see him die, though, and I couldn't help but transfer the blame on the woman who put a pillow on his face. xD I definitely agree it's made her stronger, though. The fire was very symbolic of stripping her of everything, so that she can rebuild and come back stronger.

Oh also, how cool was her brother's death? I mean, I felt bad for him, but that was pretty cool. The whole 'he was no dragon' was pretty awesome, as well.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night

To be fair, a lot of modern writing does use the present/past tense switching in terms of 'ing' and 'ed' in the same sentence. Technically the Chiago Manual of Style says you can use ellipses for a pause, and... fragments are cool, okay? xDD

I know it does, but Wing revs me if I ever submit things with tense skips. You can see how it is incorrect, even though it is popular, right? It would be like me going
"Hi, I ate an apple two days ago and am putting it into my mouth right now"

The ellipses aren't too big of a deal, I just promised PK that I would rev everyone who used them wrong - which has been everyone rofl Going on that thought, I don't see the point in including them as frequently as some of the authors have. I saw one piece that had three of the bastards in one sentence. The sentence was also a two word fragment stressed

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Solarised Night
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night

I know it does, but Wing revs me if I ever submit things with tense skips. You can see how it is incorrect, even though it is popular, right? It would be like me going

The ellipses aren't too big of a deal, I just promised PK that I would rev everyone who used them wrong - which has been everyone rofl Going on that thought, I don't see the point in including them as frequently as some of the authors have. I saw one piece that had three of the bastards in one sentence. The sentence was also a two word fragment stressed

Hm. I see it more as keeping someone in the action, like going; "I just walked to the store and I'm buying an apple." The first part happened already but the second is in the process of happening, which makes the action seem more interesting and closer while also giving an out in terms of describing every last detail. I can definitely see the issue, though; it's a way to fence-sit, really.

Hey hey hey, I didn't use any ellipses! Not in the writing at least; maybe in speech? I don't think I did there, either. I agree that ellipses are like horse radish; to be used extremely sparingly and not with everything. After Selbe's contest I tried to stop using them entirely, save for speech. Using it three times in a single two-word fragment 'sentence' does seem excessive, though. rofl

(I wish there was an emote that was between 'rofl' and 'scary creepy ***** lip-flip').

Overall, I blame modern literature and creative writing courses for never harping on style. A lot of times people like to pretend it's just about the idea being conveyed, which causes a huge issue when that writer gets their first constructive criticism/feedback and it isn't about the idea (this happens a lot in the Writer's Forum). Method is just as important.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night

Hm. I see it more as keeping someone in the action, like going; "I just walked to the store and I'm buying an apple." The first part happened already but the second is in the process of happening, which makes the action seem more interesting and closer while also giving an out in terms of describing every last detail. I can definitely see the issue, though; it's a way to fence-sit, really.

Hey hey hey, I didn't use any ellipses! Not in the writing at least; maybe in speech? I don't think I did there, either. I agree that ellipses are like horse radish; to be used extremely sparingly and not with everything. After Selbe's contest I tried to stop using them entirely, save for speech. Using it three times in a single two-word fragment 'sentence' does seem excessive, though. rofl

(I wish there was an emote that was between 'rofl' and 'scary creepy ***** lip-flip').

Overall, I blame modern literature and creative writing courses for never harping on style. A lot of times people like to pretend it's just about the idea being conveyed, which causes a huge issue when that writer gets their first constructive criticism/feedback and it isn't about the idea (this happens a lot in the Writer's Forum). Method is just as important.

Sometimes I allow the tense changes, usually in action scenes, but other times it just looks clumsy.

I haven't read yours yet. I am reading the one before yours. Well I was reading and then my partner needed the computer and then I talked to him for 20 mins before he went to class. Now I am back, and looking over my plushie thread. The most unfortunate thing happened. Someone walked into the thread, did an RNG as their first post, and won. Unfortunately, they broke 3 rules so despite their amazing luck, I can't give them the prize. It wouldn't be fair to others since you have to introduce yourself first, be there for 24hrs, and only post if chatting so no RNGs with just a smiley in them.

Anyway, back to the writing: don't get defensive since I am not up to yours yet razz

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Solarised Night

Sometimes I allow the tense changes, usually in action scenes, but other times it just looks clumsy.

I haven't read yours yet. I am reading the one before yours. Well I was reading and then my partner needed the computer and then I talked to him for 20 mins before he went to class. Now I am back, and looking over my plushie thread. The most unfortunate thing happened. Someone walked into the thread, did an RNG as their first post, and won. Unfortunately, they broke 3 rules so despite their amazing luck, I can't give them the prize. It wouldn't be fair to others since you have to introduce yourself first, be there for 24hrs, and only post if chatting so no RNGs with just a smiley in them.

Anyway, back to the writing: don't get defensive since I am not up to yours yet razz

Yeah, that's very true. I'm striving to not have tense shifts in this piece I'm working on for April, and I'll be sure to avoid it for the Plushie Thread!

Haha, completely understandable. I figured you were still on the one before mine, because you hadn't posted the critique. That's a shame about the random poster, though; definitely a good lesson to learn about behaving correctly, though. Hopefully they learn from it more than if they'd walked in, posted a smiley, not won and then been told they were wrong. There seems to have been a few who did that, though?

Sorry if I seemed defensive! I was just making conversation, haha.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night

Yeah, that's very true. I'm striving to not have tense shifts in this piece I'm working on for April, and I'll be sure to avoid it for the Plushie Thread!

Haha, completely understandable. I figured you were still on the one before mine, because you hadn't posted the critique. That's a shame about the random poster, though; definitely a good lesson to learn about behaving correctly, though. Hopefully they learn from it more than if they'd walked in, posted a smiley, not won and then been told they were wrong. There seems to have been a few who did that, though?

Sorry if I seemed defensive! I was just making conversation, haha.

There will be a far more lax judging criteria in the plushie thread considering it is a give-away and crap entries will be crap. No critiques will be given for the plushie thread because I estimate around 20-30 stories. I am stricter here because it is the writers forum and I expect more from people who seek out the writing contests forum rather than some give-away.

It was. I didn't really like her attitude anyway so I would hate to give her the prize after that anyway. I did say how much it sucked though because it was quite a rare case.

Nah, you're not overly defensive; you just pointed out that you didn't use any ellipses razz

9,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Solarised Night

There will be a far more lax judging criteria in the plushie thread considering it is a give-away and crap entries will be crap. No critiques will be given for the plushie thread because I estimate around 20-30 stories. I am stricter here because it is the writers forum and I expect more from people who seek out the writing contests forum rather than some give-away.

It was. I didn't really like her attitude anyway so I would hate to give her the prize after that anyway. I did say how much it sucked though because it was quite a rare case.

Nah, you're not overly defensive; you just pointed out that you didn't use any ellipses razz

Ah, fair enough. That definitely makes sense. Hahahah, 'crap entries will be crap' is something that can apply to all writing contests, though. xD

Yeah, for sure. I seem to remember it being in the rules to be gracious and thankful if you win?

I was very proud of my not using ellipses. xD

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rotsab M. Hyolf
The Solarised Night

Ah, fair enough. That definitely makes sense. Hahahah, 'crap entries will be crap' is something that can apply to all writing contests, though. xD

Yeah, for sure. I seem to remember it being in the rules to be gracious and thankful if you win?

I was very proud of my not using ellipses. xD

'Crap entries will be crap' = writing forum's new motto.

Well she left in a huff and down voted the thread lol All of her post history was in give-aways asking for stuff so meh. I also have a rule saying that I reserve the right to withold a prize, I will check post history, and if that post history is spam or seems to be begging in give-aways, I may suspend the prize until a) the user proves worthy or b) they leave and someone else wins it.
Where would I go to enter?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces