Welcome to Gaia! ::

When you saw this contest, you....?

Took the poll for the gold and then left. 0.12403100775194 12.4% [ 16 ]
Were interested, but did not like the deadline. 0.054263565891473 5.4% [ 7 ]
Were interested, but wanted to finish your piece before saying anything about entering. 0.25581395348837 25.6% [ 33 ]
Entered, obviously! 0.077519379844961 7.8% [ 10 ]
Bounced around happily and gnawed on the thread. 0.21705426356589 21.7% [ 28 ]
Thought this poll and this contest were the biggest pieces of garbage you've seen on Gaia to date. 0.015503875968992 1.6% [ 2 ]
Yelled at me because you're a finicky nincompoop. 0.0077519379844961 0.8% [ 1 ]
Went to worship/ask the opinion of a coconut. 0.10852713178295 10.9% [ 14 ]
Ate the contest owner and then felt bad about your act of cannibalism. 0.062015503875969 6.2% [ 8 ]
None of the above....you don't have time to waste on petty writing contests! 0.077519379844961 7.8% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 129 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30 31 32 > >>

Table of Contents:
1st Post: Introduction/Rules/Deadline
2nd Post: Length/Entry Fee/Prizes
3rd Post: Other Contest Information/Current Theme/Criteria
4th Post: Contestants & Judges
5th Post: Updates/Q&A
6th Post: Winners
7th Post: Advertisements/Shout-outs/Any Other Stuff I Deem Necessary or Fun

Okay, people, I'm still new to this whole contest hosting thing, so please bear with me. I would appreciate any advice anyone would give on how to better run a contest.

Please read each of the setup posts thoroughly, and check back to the Rules and Announcements posts often enough that you keep up with any changes.

Rules

1. Follow the Gaia ToS. This means all entries must be kept PG-13, and please moderate swearing. I won't rule swearing out completely, because to keep people in character might require the occasional curse word, but use it wisely, please.

2. Please only submit one SHORT STORY or EXCERPT from a longer story. (If you send in an excerpt from the middle of a longer story, please include a short summary of what has happened so far, so that I'm not lost when I start reading.) I won't be accepting poetry at the moment, because I don't know enough about poetry at the moment to be able to judge it well.

3. The stories must be entirely original, with characters made up by you. No fanfictions, please. I love fanfictions, don't get me wrong, but as I haven't seen every anime there is, and as you guys are bound to have seen some I haven't, original stories will be easier for me to judge. Also, plagiarism will be reported. So just...don't plagiarize. Period. Make life easier on all of us and use your brain to come up with something original.

4. I won't require you to write an entirely new story into the contests, but please don't submit a story that you've won another contest with. (This means any story that you've placed with, not just stories that have taken first.) That wouldn't be fair to the other contestants, and I'd like to keep things fair so that no one mutinies....

5. Post all entries in the thread, because I have a tendency to lose PMs. Entries may be edited or replaced with new entries at any time during the contest, but once the deadline comes, all entries are final and may not be changed.

6. Read all the rules and check back here every once in awhile to make sure I haven't changed anything.

7. Stick around and chat, so that I can get your faces in my head! It's fun!

8. If you enjoy this contest and you enjoy writing, visit my guild by clicking on the nice, shiny banner in my signature, courtesy of Dances With Penguins. This guild is still getting up off the ground. Help us out with it! Post stuff! Chat! Do something!

Deadline (subject to change): February 1
Table of Contents:
3rd Post: Other Contest Information/Theme/Criteria

Length

I hate working within word limits just as much as anyone else, but I'm also a busy woman, and I don't have time to judge short novels....that being said, I'm asking that you keep your entries between 500 and 10,000 words long. Yes, lots of flexibility there, so y'all should be satisfied.

Entry Fee

NONE!!! (If you entered the contest in my guild and you would like your entry fee back, please PM me. And I know who's who, so no trying to fool me!)

Prizes

1st Place: 10,000g and the entry is posted in my journal for all to see and praise forever
2nd place: 7500g
3rd place: 5000g
Honorable Mention: 2500g
....Used to be something here....now there isn't....
....I changed what was here by accident....so...I deleted it....
*blinks stupidly*
Table of Contents:

Winners' Circle

1st place: [ .days. ], who I'm sure we all agree never disappoints us with her breathtaking works!
2nd place: Lhanae
3rd place: Neko_Hito
Honorable Mention: alliisara, because although she went over the word limit, her writing was excellent and she deserves something for her hard work!
Table of Contents:

Mahayr
I have been trying for some time to bring more people together in the WC forum.
Some of you already know the following information,
but I wanted to send it anyway, and give you my
Seasons Greetings.

Those of you already in the Postcard Club will be getting something from me soon, and anyone wishing to send to
someone else on the list, just follow the instructions in there.

1. Postcards, stamps, real handwrtten notes!
You may also just post in the where! Messages, pictures, greetings.

THE POSTCARD CLUB!!!

2. The WC Community Quest Pool.
Have a Quest you need help with? Read THIS!!!

3. Are you a POET and would like to participate in short, one-on-one Poetry Duels?
Too fun. Great judges and fellow WC poets!

THE COLOSSEUM and the DUELING GROUNDS

4. Need a Grant for a contest
you do not have enough gold or prizes to sponsor alone?
Apply for one from the
WW&CCF Foundation stickied in the WC forum.

5. Get to know your fellows. Chat, discuss, joke, and stay informed in the
FOUNDATION HEADQUARTERS WHERE

Kindest regards always...

Mahayr
WW&CCF

[ Foundation Staff ]

S`qarr - Owner - Admiral
Mahayr - Partner / Hostess - First Mate
HelterSkelterX (Vince) - Partner - Captain
Major Domo - Foundation Agent - Boatswain
Torches Of Nero - Colosseum Agent - Midshipman
APPLICATIONS being ACCEPTED for HELPERS!

[ Community Quest Pool Staff ]

Doleon - Manager - Captain
Mahayr - Hostess - Private First Class
alliisara - Crow's Nest
Follyandra - Midshipman
Sgt. Krynic - Pool Master - Warrant Officer

P/S Please help me spread the word and feel free to send this to as many of your friends and fellow poets as you wish.
Be careful not to spam, however!

And of course, do join our Guild, The Pillar of Worlds.

Just thought I'd get a spot of advertising in for Mistress Mahayr, whom I've grown to respect a great deal. Here's to you, Mahayr, and your fellow Foundation staff! For all of you who haven't visited the Foundation yet....do so!

Donations

12/23/06 Dances With Penguins: 3250g to me
12/29/06 WW&CCF Foundation: 16,500g to the contest
*cuts ribbon* The contest is officially open for business!

....*fear* This is my first time sending one of my poor little contests trekking out into the real world. Be kind, people! I'm begging you! Especially as I've seen some rather rude and sometimes even downright MEAN people on Gaia, and I'm actually beginning to fear them, even though they make me completely over-the-top insane. I mean, we're talking Psycho mixed with The Shining with just a dash of The Audition thrown in in in some cases. So if you come into this forum to tell me I suck....I will reply with a moderately hostile and very heartfelt "BITE MY @$$!!!"

....Okay, you may now enter.
....I'm not mean at all, people. I swear. Enter? Please?

2,750 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
Be patient whee . You only posted this about half an hour ago. This looks very interesting. I may consider joining, if I think I'll have time to write something. Good luck! (I may be back later!) biggrin
Tee hee. I am actually quite patient. I just wanted to make sure people knew I'm not mean....I sounded mean in the opening post.... redface
Okay...changed my mind on how I want this to work. Hence....UPDATES!
I always like quote contests. n.n~ And the quote you chose is a pretty good one.
^^ Thank you. I have 17 Word pages full of quotes that I've collected over the last several months....I like quotes. ^^
Oh...I'm liking the prompt. Except anything I could come up with would be cliched...Gah. But I'll try. It's free, right? xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff