Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Conversationalist

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
User Image

Welcome to "The Eyes of Olympus" contest!

The objective is to take a Greek Myth, anyone that you fancy, and tell the story. The catch is that you have to tell it from the point of view of another God or Goddess who is not personally involved in the myth. I have always wondered what the other Gods/Goddesses thought about certain events in Mythology and thought that, perhaps, I wasn't alone. You can pick any God or Goddess that you like from the Greek Myths and tell their side of the story. I'd like to know what they think, what they feel and what they might have done behind the scenes to aid or sabotage their fellow divinities.

Fairly easy, yes?

Links

Find your source info here. If you are having trouble with these links just Google Greek Myths or Greek Gods. Wikipedia is also helpful for Mythology and Lore pertaining to certain Gods or Goddesses

Alphabetical List of Greek Gods
Linked Myths

Contest Deadline

Monday, May 12, 2008 is the Deadline. This means that all entries should be in by Midnight on Sunday the 11th of May. If you are late your entry will not be judged.

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
User Image

1. Do Not Quote The Front Page
2. Follow Gaia TOS at all times
3. Prose Only, No Poetry Please
4. Do Not PM Me To Ask Questions. Ask Here Please!
5. Respect Your Fellow Writers
6. Plagiarism Will Not Be Tolerated!
7. One Entry Per Person
8. No Mule Accounts!
9. Don't Beg!
10. Use Proper English At All Times
11. Add A Space Between Paragraphs!
12. Title Your Entry
13. Put The Name Of The Myth You Used Or The General Idea Of The Original Myth At The Top Of Your Entry
14. I Am Allowed To Stretch The First Page...You Are Not Allowed To Stretch Any.
15. If You Say That Your Work Sucks, I Won't Judge It At All. If You Hate It, Don't Enter It!
16. All stories should be a minimum of 500 words. No more than 5,000 please.
17. POST ALL ENTRIES IN THIS THREAD! If you PM it to me, I will not judge it. I will reply, asking you to post it here.

User Image

I am the sole judge of this competition.
You will be judged on the overall impact of the story as well as the following things:

Grammar and Spelling: 20%
Flow of Story/Use of Myth: 40%
Creativity: 40%

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
User Image

First Place: Gift of the Goddess User Image

Second Place: Gift of the Gods User Image

Third Place: 10,000 Gold

I am sad to say that due to low funds HM's will only receive 150 gold for their entry. Of course, it is better than nothing and I'm told that some contests don't even have Honorable Mentions.

All donations are accepted and highly appreciated. They will be added to the first through third prize pool as 50/30/20.

THREE CHEERS FOR MAHAYR!!

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
User Image

Is There An Entry Fee?
No!

Can I Join?
Yes! Anyone can join!

Who Is Your Favorite God/Goddess?
I really do love all of the Greek Gods but if I had to pick:
Athena - Goddess of wisdom, war, the arts, industry, justice and skill.
Hephaestos - God of smiths, craftsmen and inventors, particularly metal-workers.

What Are Your Favorite Myths?

The Minotaur
Trojan War
Trials of Hercules
Persephone and Hades

Can I Have Some Gold?
No!

How Do I Know You Won't Just Let Your Friends Win?

You have to trust me. I have never done that and won't start now.

Can I Use More Than One Myth?
Only if they are tied together and you're telling them from the same point of view. Otherwise it will be considered another entry, which is not allowed.

Can I Use Gods/Goddesses From Other Cultures (Celts, Romans etc.)
Nope. Sorry but it's called "Eyes of Olympus" for a reason. Olympian Gods Only!

Will You Recommend a God or Goddess To Me?
No! Pick one yourself, there will be no penalty if it doesn't happen to be my favorite divinity.

--Any Other Questions Will Be Added As Received--

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
User Image

1. Healer Sayain (Setting The Record Straight, pg 1)
2. Noxie-chan (Chains That Bind, pg 2)
3. Starbuck Xemnas (The Botany in Beauty, pg 4)
4. Jonni Mnemonic (Almost, pg 4)
5. aria_in_full (The Peculiar Incident of the Golden Apple, War, and Immortals, pg 5)
6. Etichi (Six Red Seed, pg 5)
7. Imoto Lehcar (Amour-propre, pg 9)
8. Mistresses_of_Nightmares (The Price of Love, pg 9)
9. Kishite_no_Mirror (Divine Punishment, pg 11)
-More Will Be Added If Needed-

Donations accepted and added to Prizes

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
User Image

FIRST PLACE: Imoto Lehcar

SECOND PLACE: Jonni Mnemonic

THIRD PLACE: Etichi

HONORABLE MENTION: Noxie-Chan

CONGRATULATIONS!

You're prizes will be sent as well as PM's with your scorecards!

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
OPEN FOR POSTING!!

Fashionable Lunatic

Are you only accepting 10 contestants?

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Senari1
Are you only accepting 10 contestants?

No, I'm accepting as many entries as I get by the deadline.

Fashionable Lunatic

Okie dokie then. I think I'll enter, but it'll probably be awhile before I can write something.

4,450 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Alright. I look forward to reading your entry!

Tipsy Genius

6,650 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
I too shall enter. Now to put my knowledge of Mythology to use!
I will certainly enter. I too share a love of mythology. Although I must say at the moment I'm more interested in Egyptian. It tends to change with what I'm reading or studying.

Eloquent Explorer

Great idea! I can't promise I'll enter, but it sounds like a good challenge which I may just take you up on.

Dangerous Genius

5,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Setting the Record straight

This is true story of Hades and Persephone, as told by Athena.

(and I didn't choose either one of these because I'm a suck up. I love the story of Hades and Pesephone, and Athena is my favorite Goddess. Of all mythology. Eris is my second fav)

Everyone always talk about how evil Hades was for stealing Persephone. But seriously, Persephone was an idiot. And Uncle Hades would never like her in the first place.

My name is Athena, and I’m going to set the record straight for my favorite Uncle in the world, Hades. And if you want to argue, I dare you. There is a reason why I’m the Goddess of Warfare.

Persephone is my cousin, and was one of the most annoying people you will ever meet. All she cared about is flowers. Me, I like a good book, or a good puzzle, but with Sephie, it was clothes and flowers. RAH! She frustrated me to no end.

But I can understand her standpoint I suppose. Her mom, Aunt Demeter is a little high strung. Okay, Aunt Demeter is REALLY high strung. She smothered Sephie. Sephie is beautiful, and she of course attracted a lot of attention, and because of that, Aunt Demeter hid her. Poor, poor Sephie (HAHAHA, sorry I don’t have any sympathy for her)

Aunt Demeter made her stay on Earth, with the humans. But she didn’t realize that she had hid Sephie near an underworld vent. And Uncle Hades choose that time to take a ride on his spiffy new chariot. And he nearly runs Sephie over.

So Uncle Hades, being the perfect gentlegod that he is, stopped to apologize. But Sephie throws a major hissy fit. She starts screaming and yelling, and didn’t realize that she was yelling at the God of the Underworld. Uncle Hades isn’t the most patient God in the universe. So he starts yelling back.

Now you have two powerful beings screaming at each other, in the middle of the field. If I was there, I would’ve been laughing really hard.

Wwweeeelllll, Sephie doesn’t have much sense. And after Uncle Hades started yelling, Sephie slapped him. Across the face. That put an end to the yelling.

So angry Uncle Hades decides to throw Sephie onto his spiffy new chariot (what can I say, I like the chariot), and take her to Zeus. But after he’s thrown a kicking and screaming Persephone onto the chariot, he hears Hermes. Something’s wrong in the Underworld, and Uncle has to go and fix it. So he tells Sephie that she has a choice. She can get out of the chariot, and go back to her idiotic life (exact words, by the way), or she can go with him, wait while he fixes the problem, and then they can go to Zeus. He figures she’s going back to her life. Sephie chooses the Underworld.

When they get to the Underworld, Uncle Hades make Sephie stay at his place, while he goes fix the problem. While she’s there, she meets Cerberus, Uncle’s dog, and the Furies, Uncle’s roommates. Sephie was a little afraid of them, but soon, she’s sitting on the ground chatting with Megara about her hair, and giving Cerberus a belly rub.

And that’s how Uncle finds her.

Needless to say, there was another screaming match that was only stopped when Tisiphone burst out laughing. She points out that they fight like an old married couple, and they start screaming at her. Tisi wasn’t real thrilled with that, but before anything else could happen, Hermes showed up with interesting news.

Apparently Demeter found out her precious Persephone was missing, and started throwing a temper tantrum of monstrous proportions. I mean, crops shriveled up, and people were starving, and Aunt Demeter is crying all over herself. And it’s all being blamed on Uncle.

So Uncle decides, fine, I’ll just take Miss Priss back up, drop her on Demeter’s doorstep, and be done with it. If it was only that simple. Persephone will not budge. He asks, orders her, threatens to pick her up and carry her, but nothing works. So Alecto (a fury) gets annoyed. And she cuts a deal with Sephie. If Sephie takes a bite of an Underworld pomegranate, then rightfully so, she has to stay in the Underworld. Uncle is panicking by now, and tried to stop Sephie, but that stubborn wench ate the entire pomegranate. And now she’s ready to go.

Now Uncle’s stuck. If he takes her back, and they learned she ate the dang pomegranate, he’s stuck with her. If he keeps her, he risks the entirety of Mount Olympus at his doorstep.

So he decides to take her to Aunt Demeter, explain what happened, and give her back. So they hop onto the chariot, and way they go. He finds Aunt Demeter (not hard really, all you had to do was follow the screams), and starts trying to explain. But Aunt Demeter gets ticked, and starts hurling insults, and other more substantial objects at her older brother. Sephie was sat and watched, actually enjoying it a bit.

Finally Uncle Hades is able to get a word in, and yells that Persephone was right there. So Aunt Demeter swings around, see Sephie, and throws herself upon the poor girl. And Sephie looks down on her mother in disgust. Then she fights to get untangled from the half-insane goddess.

Uncle Hades is watching, and decides to help Sephie. Uncle knows that Aunt Demeter is nuttier then a rabid squirrel in fall, and is a little sympathetic towards Sephie. So they get Demeter off of Persephone, and now the real fun begins. Time for the Gods of Olympus to decide their fate!

To make a really long and boring story short, they decided that Sephie has to live in the Underworld for six months, then live in the Overworld for six months. They actually decided that this was punishment enough for poor Uncle Hades. I don’t think he was very amused. I thought it was hilarious.

So now cousin Persephone is my Aunt, and Queen of the Underworld, at least for half a year. And let me tell you, you do not want to tick that Queen off. She turned a nymph, who was tempting Uncle Hades, into a mint plant. A mint plant. Not only do you smell for the rest of your life, but you also might get eaten.

Sephie spends too much time with the Furies.

And when Sephie has to come up to Olympia for six months, she looks me up. Apparently being Queen has made her grown up, and now we are really good friends.

But that’s the real story about my Uncle Hades. He isn’t a kidnapper, an evil overlord of Hell, he’s just a poor man who got tricked into being married. Not that he doesn’t love his wife, but sometimes, I think he wishes he never got that spiffy new chariot.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff