Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image

Welcome!

Here you can challenge other poets to a friendly (or not so friendly) duel. You can challenge a specific Gaian, put out a defense for anyone to take on, or even call out the entire Colosseum army, one by one.

It's a battle of wit, words, and wisdom. Do you dare?

The Colosseum is Always Open for Bloodshed!

Wing McCallister
This contest is part of the Anything Goes Writing League. This means that winners are eligible to receive league credits. Please see the Anything Goes Writing Contest & League thread for more information. I wish you luck in your pursuit of the AGWL Prism.
~Wing

User Image

September, 2005September, 2005
The Original Colosseum Main Where!The Original Colosseum Main Where!
The Original Duelling Grounds!The Original Duelling Grounds!
May, 2006May, 2006
The Torch is Passed to Mahayr!The Torch is Passed to Mahayr!
The Colosseum II Main Where!The Colosseum II Main Where!
The Colosseum II Duelling Grounds!The Colosseum II Duelling Grounds!
April, 2008April, 2008
The Colosseum III Main Where!The Colosseum III Main Where!
The Colosseum III Duelling Grounds!The Colosseum III Duelling Grounds!
January, 2009January, 2009
The Colosseum IV Main Where!The Colosseum IV Main Where!
The Colosseum IV Duelling Grounds!The Colosseum IV Duelling Grounds!
May, 2010May, 2010
The Torch is Passed to Adimurti!The Torch is Passed to Adimurti!
The Colosseum V Main WhereThe Colosseum V Main Where
The Colosseum V Dueling GroundsThe Colosseum V Dueling Grounds
May, 2011May, 2011
The Love Mutt Joins the Fray!The Love Mutt Joins the Fray!
Oct, 2012Oct, 2012
The AGWL boards the Coli like Somali pirates!The AGWL boards the Coli like Somali pirates!

User Image

Post 1: Welcome!
You Are Here!
Post 2: Rules and How To Duel
The Rules; Duelling Process; Duel Types; Duelling Forms.
Post 3: Duels; Past and Present
Open Duels; Take Down Duels; Duel History.
Post 4: Judge Central
A List of and Introductions to All Our Judges.
Post 5: Affiliates
A List and Introductions to All Our Affiliates.
User Image

• Anyone may duel.
  • A duel may begin once the Criteria and Terms are agreed upon and the Judge has posted the Enguarde!.
  • You may fight more than one duel at a time.
  • Each poem should be clearly marked (by the duel information) to show which duel it is for.
  • Judgments can be challenged on reasonable grounds. If you wish to challenge a judgment, send a private message to the Colosseum Agent [The AGWL]
  • Only Colosseum Judges (listed below) may judge a duel. If you feel you have a good reason for a Guest judge being brought in, send a private message to the Colosseum Agent [The AGWL] with your reasoning. A Guest Judge will only be accepted if a message is sent saying it's okay.
  • Please stick to using one username to battle. If you must switch to a mule due to being hacked or unable to access another account, please note your main username when dueling under the mule. This rule also applies for general name-changes. This is so that we may keep our records updated and accurate. If you're one of the top defenders (in wins or frequency), we don't want to discount a win or duel solely because we have it listed under a different name!

User Image

1. Defender posts their listing.
  2. Challenger posts a Challenge.This is done by filling out the form below.
  3. Defender posts an acceptance (there's a form below for this as well).
  4. The Judge posts the Enguarde!.
  5. An Enguarde! is a post listing the names of the Duellists, the amount of their bet and the terms of the duel. The duel poems may not be posted until the Enguarde! is up. Think of it as a Judge's Acceptance.
  6. Duellists send bets to the Judge
  7. NOTA BENE! - This can be done any time after the Defender has Accepted the terms of the duel.
  8. Duellists post battle poems.
  9. Even if your poem is much better than your opponent's in terms of quality, it must abide by the terms of the duel or you might lose by being disqualified.
  10. Judge posts judgment and/or critique, and sends the bet items/gold to the winner.

At each step in the process, you should PM the other person to let them know they have been Challenged, Accepted, hired as a Judge, etc. This will help speed things up, as not everyone visits the Colosseum every day! NOTE: You do not need to challenge a specific person when you post a defense.

User Image

There are several main Duel Types. More may be added later.

1. Regular Duel; Defender posts. Anyone (who then becomes the Challenger) may accept.
  2. Flash Duel; Defender posts. Anyone (who then becomes the Challenger) may accept. Flash Duels are conditional - bound by time limits and availability of all parties, including the Judge.
  3. Call-Out Duel; Defender posts, naming a specific Challenger. Only the person being called out may accept. Call-Outs may be either Regular or Flash, whichever is agreed upon by both parties.
  4. Double-Barrelled Duel; Both Duellists must submit both a first draft and an edited version. In addition to judging between the two poets, the Judge must also decide which version of each poet's piece is better.
  5. Collaborative Effort; This duel requires four. The Defender posts, naming a specific Collaborating Partner that has been arranged previously. Any other two Duellists (who then become the Challengers) may accept. All Duellists pay the same bet, the winnings are then divided between the two winning Collaborating Partners.
  6. Judge's Choice; Defender posts, naming a specific Judge but doesn't specify a context or form. Anyone (who then becomes the Challenger) may accept. Once the Judge receives the bets, s/he posts an Enguarde!, specifying the context and form to be followed by the Duellists.
  7. The Take-Down; The Defender may choose to take on every and any member of the Colosseum. In the past, this was typically listed as "So-and-so CALLS OUT EVERYONE." In this situation, anyone may accept the challenge, creating a call-out list. The challengers will be tackled one at a time. Preferably, one Judge would tackle the entire matter; in the case of that Judge being a challenger, a Guest Judge will step in for that duel only.

User Image

Any one may become a Defender by filling out this form and posting it in the where:

Defender Name: *Your Username Goes Here*
Judge I Prefer: *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*
Form: *The Form the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
Context: *The Context the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
The Bet: *The Amount You're Offering as a Bet Goes Here*

Simplified:
[b][color=#ff1421]Defender[/color] Name:[/b] *Your Username Goes Here*
[b][color=#6500c2]Judge[/color] I Prefer:[/b] *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*
[b]Form:[/b] *The Form the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
[b]Context:[/b] *The Context the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
[b]The Bet:[/b] *The Amount You're Offering as a Bet Goes Here*

Anyone may become a Challenger by filling out this form and posting in the main where:

Defender Name: *Defender's Username Goes Here*
Challenger Name: *Accepting Challenger's Username Goes Here*
Judge I Prefer: *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*
Form: *The Form the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
Context: *The Context the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
The Bet: *The Amount You're Offering as a Bet Goes Here*

Simplified:
[b][color=#ff1421]Defender[/color] Name:[/b] *Defender's Username Goes Here*
[b][color=#007aff]Challenger[/color] Name:[/b] *The Accepting Challenger's Username Goes Here*
[b][color=#6500c2]Judge[/color] I Prefer:[/b] *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*
[b]Form:[/b] *The Form the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
[b]Context:[/b] *The Context the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
[b]The Bet:[/b] *The Amount You're Offering as a Bet Goes Here*

Challenger and Defender must decide on the Criteria and Terms for their duel. For instance, what sort of poem are you going to write? What can't you do? What are you going for? A duel will only happen when the Criteria and Terms and the Judge can be agreed upon.
User Image

Below are all the currently open duels, including those waiting for a Challenger and/or Judge, so feel free to browse this post for an open duel to take part in before you post a new one!

Challenger Name: The Solarize Night
Defender Name: Yume The Loving creature
Judge: PK
Form: Free Style
Context: Existentialism
The Bet: 100,000g

User Image

Take-Down Duels are open to everyone, at any time. The details specified below, in each call-out, are fixed and non-negotiable. Wins and losses are recorded with the other duels in the Duel History below.

Defender Name: The Love Mutt
Judge I Prefer: Any Available, for now.
Form: None Specified.
Context: Opponent's choice
The Bet: 1000g

User Image

You decide how much your prizes are: that's why we have bets. But judges will additionally award prizes and bonuses on an arbitrary basis, in the form of items, gold, and AGWL points.

User Image

Below are the completed duels, all with links to the Judgement post, and the winner of the related duel. Prizes and Bonuses are also logged below.
User Image

phantomkitsune
User Image
Sample of Poetry. [ | | ]
Sample of Critiques. [ | | ]

Call me PK. I am Editor in Chief Theory Train magazine and former Editor in Chief of Island Writer magazine. In poetry I like concrete imagery and layered metaphor and good meter and story; Poe's The Bells and Service's The Cremation of Sam McGee are among my favorites. I have no strong preference between form or free verse, though have been known to derive a great deal of amusement from dirty limericks. I abhor most love poems as vapid.

The Love Mutt
User Image
Sample of Poetry. [ | | ]
Sample of Critiques. [ | ]

Hullo there. I'm The Love Mutt, also known as TLM. I'm tempted to leave the “blah blah blahs” from pre-bio stage, but I suppose I should impose more meaning into things. I've been around Gaia since about 2003 and the Writing Contests forum is basically my GaiaHome. I tend to write mostly poetry, though I've dabbled in other forms as well. I tend to despise rhyme unless done VERY well, and Pablo Neruda is my God. I love writing that puts new spins on things, sarcasm, and all things psychology/therapy. I'm a grump when it comes to poor grammar and spelling, though. ENGUARDE!

Lovers Never Tell
User Image
Sample of Poetry. [ | ]
Sample of Critiques. [ ♦ | ♦ ]

Hey there, I'm LNT. I've been writing for waaayyy too long and have finally become a pretty damn good poet. My style of writing is more in your face and heavily punned or riddled in metaphors. I'm currently working on playing with white space so I can get my poems to not only sound awesome, but LOOK awesome, too. I'm a stickler for originality and grammar. You don't do these two things, I'll rip you a new one, but in a pleasant and according to TOS way. ;]

Wing McCallister
User Image
Sample of thing Wing calls writing. [ ]
Sample of Critiques. [ ]

Greetings poets, I'm Wing McCallister. Some of you may have seen that obnxiously large thread lingering around the WC, and I am its owner. For almost six years, I have been running the largest and longest continously-running writing contest on Gaia, and now, I am here to back the historic PCol. While I certainly have my Grammar Nazi moments -- many of them -- writing is all about entertainment. When I read your works, I demand to be entertained. Good luck! May you survive your epic duels.

Homage to Adimurti
Endless admiration for Adi, who carried the torch for such a long time.
User Image

Check out other active Anything Goes Writing League contests to be assured AGWL quality!

The Anything Goes Writing Contest
Go There Now »

PK's contest
Go There Now »

TLM's iWrite contest
Go There Now »

Ivy's Drabble Battle
Go There Now »
Mmm, the sweet scent of resuscitation. May the poetry slaughter begin again!

Dangerous Enabler

It's really exciting to be involved in it!

TLM, we really need to get a bio from you . . .

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Yeah, I noticed xD lol. I'll work on it hopefully today/tomorrow. Is LNT still def involved?

And I dunno when I issued the take down... but HUH? lol. I'm willing, but can the context be set as the opponent's choice instead of rainy days? sweatdrop

Dangerous Enabler

Context fixed.

We're assuming she is? Haven't heard from her in a while, though.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Wing McCallister
Mmm, the sweet scent of resuscitation. May the poetry slaughter begin again!
What the crap is this? It scares me rofl

7,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
It's sheer gladiator awesomeness.

11,750 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
The Love Mutt
It's sheer gladiator awesomeness.

bwahaha I might give it a shot at some point

Dangerous Enabler

Right - bios and links updated. Everything should work better.
Yay for everything working.

Familiar Businesswoman

Calling Out... Name: The Solarised Night
Defender Name: Yume The Loving creature
Judge I Prefer :Any Available
Form: Free Style
Context: Existentialism?
The Bet:100k?

I HOPE I did that right. sweatdrop I assumed Context means topic, but if I am wrong, please correct me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff