Welcome to Gaia! ::

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
User Image

Hello and Welcome to the Colosseum V!
Here, writers risk both pride and possessions by participating in duels of poetic skill, betting their gold and/or items in hope that they will be victorious against their opponents!

The Colosseum is Always Open for Bloodshed!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Duels are to be conducted in The Colosseum V Duelling Grounds

User Image

September, 2005September, 2005
The Original Colosseum Main Where!The Original Colosseum Main Where!
The Original Duelling Grounds!The Original Duelling Grounds!
May, 2006May, 2006
The Torch is Passed to Mahayr!The Torch is Passed to Mahayr!
The Colosseum II Main Where!The Colosseum II Main Where!
The Colosseum II Duelling Grounds!The Colosseum II Duelling Grounds!
April, 2008April, 2008
The Colosseum III Main Where!The Colosseum III Main Where!
The Colosseum III Duelling Grounds!The Colosseum III Duelling Grounds!
January, 2009January, 2009
The Colosseum IV Main Where!The Colosseum IV Main Where!
The Colosseum IV Duelling Grounds!The Colosseum IV Duelling Grounds!
May, 2010May, 2010
The Torch is Passed to Adimurti!The Torch is Passed to Adimurti!

User Image

1st post: a Welcome Message, the Colosseum Chronicles and a Table of Contents
2nd post: Rules, Procedures and Duelling Forms
3rd post: Prizes and Bonuses
4th post: a Log of Generosity
5th Post: Judge Central
6th Post: WW&CCFoundation
7th Post: Resources
8th Post: Black List and White List
9th Post: Reserved
User Image

• Anyone may Challenge a Defender.
  • A duel may begin once the Criteria and Terms are agreed upon and the Judge has posted the Enguarde!.
  • You may fight more than one duel at a time.
  • Each poem should be clearly marked to show which duel it is for.
  • Judgments can be challenged on reasonable grounds. If you wish to challenge a judgment, send a private message to the Colosseum Agent [Torches_of_Nero]
  • Only Colosseum Judges (listed below) may judge a duel. If you feel you have a good reason for a guest judge being hired, send a private message to the Colosseum Agent [Torches_of_Nero] with your reasoning. A guest judge will only be accepted if a message is sent saying it's okay.

User Image

1. Defender posts their listing.
  2. Challenger posts a Challenge.
    • This is done by filling out the form below.
  3. Defender posts an acceptance.
    • There's a form below for this as well. ~_^
  4. Judge posts the Enguarde! in both the Dueling Grounds and the Main Where (this one).
    • An Enguarde! is a post listing the names of the Duellists, the amount of their bet and the terms of the duel. The duel poems may not be posted until the Enguarde! is up. Think of it as a Judge's Acceptance.
  5. Duellists send bets to the Judge.
    • Judge fees will be paid by Torches_Of_Nero, the Colosseum Agent.
    • NOTA BENE! - This can be done any time after the Defender has Accepted the terms of the duel.
  6. Duellists post battle poems.
    • Even if your poem is much better than your opponent's in terms of quality, it must abide by the terms of the duel or you might lose by being disqualified.
  7. Judge posts judgment and/or critique, and sends the bet items/gold to the winner.

At each step in the process, you may PM the other person to let them know they have been Challenged, Accepted, hired as a Judge, etc. This will help speed things up, as not everyone visits the Colosseum every day!

User Image

There are several main Duel Types. More may be added later.

1. Regular Duel; Defender posts. Anyone (who then becomes the Challenger) may accept.
  2. Flash Duel; Defender posts. Anyone (who then becomes the Challenger) may accept. Flash Duels are conditional - bound by time limits and availability of all parties, including the Judge.
  3. Call-Out Duel; Defender posts, naming a specific Challenger. Only the person being called out may accept. Call-Outs may be either Regular or Flash, whichever is agreed upon by both parties.
  4. Grudge Match; Have a bone to pick with someone? Have they bested you too often? Want another chance to prove your worth? Name your opponent! Only the named opponent may accept a Grudge Match.
  5. Double-Barrelled Duel; Both Duellists must submit both a first draft and an edited version. In addition to judging between the two poets, the Judge must also decide which version of each poet's piece is better. With this duel type, the default Judging fee is twice the regular fee, either with crit or without.
  6. Collaborative Effort; This duel requires four. The Defender posts, naming a specific Collaborating Partner that has been arranged previously. Any other two Duellists (who then become the Challengers) may accept. All Duellists pay the same bet, the winnings are then divided between the two winning Collaborating Partners. With this duel type, the default Judging fee is twice the regular fee, either with crit or without.
  7. Judge's Choice; Defender posts, naming a specific Judge but doesn't specify a context or form. Anyone (who then becomes the Challenger) may accept. Once the Judge receives the bets, s/he posts an Enguarde!, specifying the context and form to be followed by the Duellists.

User Image

Any one may become a Defender by filling out this form and posting it in the where:

Defender Name: *Your Username Goes Here*
Judge I Prefer: *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*
Form: *The Form the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
Context: *The Context the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
The Bet: *The Amount You're Offering as a Bet Goes Here*

Faded Titles:
[b][color=#c00c0c]D[/color][color=#a80b0b]e[/color][color=#900909]f[/color][color=#780808]e[/color][color=#600606]n[/color][color=#480505]d[/color][color=#300303]e[/color][color=#180202]r[/color] Name:[/b] *Your Username Goes Here*
[b][color=#8e00e6]J[/color][color=#7200b8]u[/color][color=#55008a]d[/color][color=#39005c]g[/color][color=#1c002e]e[/color] I Prefer:[/b] *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*
[b]Form:[/b] *The Form the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
[b]Context:[/b] *The Context the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
[b]The Bet:[/b] *The Amount You're Offering as a Bet Goes Here*

Simplified:
[b][color=#ff1421]Defender[/color] Name:[/b] *Your Username Goes Here*
[b][color=#6500c2]Judge[/color] I Prefer:[/b] *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*

Anyone may become a Challenger by filling out this form and posting in the main where:

Defender Name: *Defender's Username Goes Here*
Challenger Name: *Accepting Challenger's Username Goes Here*
Judge I Prefer: *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*
Form: *The Form the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
Context: *The Context the Duel Poem Should Be In, Goes Here*
The Bet: *The Amount You're Offering as a Bet Goes Here*

Faded Titles:
[b][color=#c00c0c]D[/color][color=#a80b0b]e[/color][color=#900909]f[/color][color=#780808]e[/color][color=#600606]n[/color][color=#480505]d[/color][color=#300303]e[/color][color=#180202]r[/color] Name:[/b] *Defender's Username Goes Here*
[b][color=#1c68ca]C[/color][color=#195eb6]h[/color][color=#1653a2]a[/color][color=#14498d]l[/color][color=#113e79]l[/color][color=#0e3465]e[/color][color=#0b2a51]n[/color][color=#081f3d]g[/color][color=#061528]e[/color][color=#030a14]r[/color] Name:[/b] *Accepting Challenger's Username Goes Here*
[b][color=#8e00e6]J[/color][color=#7200b8]u[/color][color=#55008a]d[/color][color=#39005c]g[/color][color=#1c002e]e[/color] I Prefer:[/b] *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*

Simplified:
[b][color=#ff1421]Defender[/color] Name:[/b] *Defender's Username Goes Here*
[b][color=#007aff]Challenger[/color] Name:[/b] *The Accepting Challenger's Username Goes Here*
[b][color=#6500c2]Judge[/color] I Prefer:[/b] *The Username of the Judge You'd Prefer Goes Here*

Challenger and Defender must decide on the Criteria and Terms for their duel. For instance, what sort of poem are you going to write? What can't you do? What are you going for? A duel will only happen when the Criteria and Terms and the Judge can be agreed upon.
User Image

Why do we give Bonuses?

Prizefighters have their belts, professional athletes have their trophies, gladiators walked away with their hides mostly intact--we here at the Colosseum have the Prevailing Poet, Most Frequent Duelist, and Master Critique awards.

• Bonuses will be sent and posted by the Colosseum Agent, Torches_of_Nero.
  • These bonuses are awarded every ten completed duels.
  • Each prize is 2,500 gold or the equivalent in items.
    • The Prevailing Duellist prize will be awarded based on number of wins. The duellist with the highest number of wins gets the prize.
    • The Most Frequent Duellist prize will be awarded based on number of duels. The duellist with the highest number of duels gets the prize.
    • The Master Critique prize will be based on content, timeliness, and effort expended.

User Image
nothing to report yet!
User Image
Donations go towards the running of the Colosseum V; paying for prizes, judging/critiquing fees, and future incentives/bonuses. If you're so kind as to want to donate to this contest, please send a trade to the Colosseum Agent, Torches_of_Nero (not to the owner, Adimurti). Items and/or gold are most gratefully received, and generous benefactors are listed below.

User Image

The Colosseum ItselfLongTimeListener: The Colosseum ItselfLongTimeListener:
Torches of Nero Torches of Nero
25,000 gold in Items 25,000 gold in Items

The Colosseum ItselfMahayr: The Colosseum ItselfMahayr:
Countless Hours, Effort and Warmth Countless Hours, Effort and Warmth
More Gold and Items Than Can Be Imagined! More Gold and Items Than Can Be Imagined!
User Image
Welcome to Judge Central! Below are your choices of judge. All judges offer critique with their judgment, but only if asked for. Please make sure you ask for a critique with your entry.

User Image
Adimurti
Hello! I'm Adimurti (or Adi, or Chris), twenty-two years of age, and hate writing intros (seriously, who knows what to put in these things?). I love literature. I expect duellists to give 100% in their duels, otherwise what's the point? I love finding out about new forms of poetry, and equally love trying my hand at them, although not always being left with the desired quality. I hate repetition, and any form based on it. Hate. I've been writing for a good seven years - okay, the first couple were awful in quality, but still.
Anyways - that's all I can think of that could be seen as remotely interesting about me, so yeah. Happy duelling!

User Image
Aehlae
Hi, I'm Aehlae. I'm awesome! True story.

User Image
calivness
Hey, I'm calviness, but most call me cal. I'm a general WF irregular, writing mostly prose, but I've been writing poetry a long time. I do like to crit poetry, and tend to be meticulous in my analysis and like Zeo, tend to be wordy, so be prepared. I'm online all the time because of my current job, so if you have any questions, I'll respond pretty quick. That's pretty much it, I look forward to the duels.

User Image
knight_of_chivalry
Heeey all of ye, my username's knight_of_chivalry, but feel free to call me Ed.
I’m mainly a WC reg, with the occasional trip to the OP/L. I'm in my first year of University, use sugarhighs to get me through the day, and crash by roughly 9. This'll be my first time as an official colosseum judge, though I've had experience judging before as a guest judge and also by running a contest with a mini-colosseum running within it (besides critting in the OP/L).
If you want to know more about me, lemme know, if there’s one thing on this earth I know how to do is talk continuously.
Cheers!

User Image
Mahayr
LAST RESORT! The others are MUCH better, honestly.

User Image
Zeo
I take your submissions seriously and hope that you do as well. If you should ask for my critique: I don’t sugarcoat my critiques, because true art takes work to craft well. I’m a Virgo, so you’ll get a Virgo critique--thorough and nit-picky (grammar, punctuation, line break placements, use of poetic devices). I’m also interested in how a poem communicates to the reader and how effectively it does so. A poem should speak for itself,
so if I feel it is not doing so I will tell you. I prefer free verse and/or prose poetry to forms, but I'll judge/critique form poems as well. I give long, detailed critiques, so be prepared for a novel-length analysis should you seek my insight.

User Image

Written as a prelude for a past critique. Please read carefully, JUDGES, and please DO offer feedback.

Mahayr
Jewel
Before I give you both my critique and judgment, I would like to say a few things about the way I judge in general and with sestinas in particular (which I will address in my actual
critique/judgment post)

I look at poetry as a personal medium, open to a wide range and variety of acceptance, approval, liking, and opinion. Many critics find themselves locked into a narrow view, based solely on their own preferences and criteria regarding what they see as good poetry. I find this to be a mistake for many reasons.

Poetry, unlike other forms of writing, has a wider diversity of style, form, and expression--often leaving the reader in one of several states. You may show one poem to ten people and receive ten different interpretations or affect resulting in reactions including approval, disapproval, disgust, understanding, perplexity, anger, joy, melancholy, revulsion, etc.

There are two ways to approach an opinion about anything: head (intellectual) or heart (emotional). While we are all affected on an emotional level by anything we read, when it comes to evaluations, I prefer to take a more clinical approach.

While it does matter to me what a poet is trying to say to some degree (especially if I have been given some helpfully insightful explanation), I let the poem speak to me as an individual reader. Who can really know or understand what any given poet is saying? No two people are alike in background, life experience, ideals, spirituality, and other life-molding matters. Matters that will naturally have an impact on what they write and how they write it.

One example I will give of a personal preference in poetic style: capitalization.

I went to the store | I went to the store | I went to the store.
To get apples | to get apples | To get apples.
Because I was | because I was | Because I was.
Hungry. | hungry. | Hungry.

Of course there are many poems that have a universal audience and are clearly understood (we think). There are famous, and accepted as expert, poets whose work is rarely questioned. It may be dissected and explored in various situations but it is rarely accused of being rubbish.

All of that being said, I just wanted to let you know that I base my critiques on technical criteria (and even so am loathe to be harsh regarding any writer's choice of punctuation, grammar, or form unless it is a formal one, unless such things are glaringly unappealing, or unless it is an obvious mistake) more than emotional ones, even though a bit of that may be thrown in based on my own likes and dislikes. Remarks made about a poem may be valid to the writer or not; may validate the intended message, or frustrate the writer by making him feel misunderstood or maligned.

Poetry is more than words on paper. Poetry is a powerful, dynamic, and potentially life-changing experience. If everyone was satisfied by the same styles, content, phraseology, and the like, there would not be so many writers, in any category of writing. Prosody is one thing, enjoyment another.

There is nothing more painful than to be told a poem was "disappointing", "tripe", "unmoving" or any other negative, narrow-sighted opinion. One person's disappointment may be another's applauded surprise. One person's tripe may be another's grateful acknowledgement that there is someone else in the world who relates to a personal circumstance. What may not move me may move you.

Skill and talent are so very much matters of perception, perspective, and are so dependent on a reader's individuality that they defy any concrete evaluation. The most we can hope to achieve is to assist a writer to re-examine his work, think more carefully about such things as word choice, correctness (when dealing with any particular form), structure, and other technicalities, while at the same time encouraging whatever emotional or intellectual message is being conveyed.

Nothing disturbs me more than accusing a poet of omitting details, explanation, or imagery! Fill in the blanks for yourselves! Ohsure, sometimes something has to be said if it's called for, but not in each and every poem read! Some poetry, like prose, may be minimalist. See it for what it is, interpret it as you will, and leave the poor writer free of rude remarks based on that -alone-.

Yes, of course there is the blatantly poor poetry that we all recognize, but even so, the poet may be gently guided to improve, practice, and hone any possible aforementioned skill and talent, whatever his age or experience. Encourage. Do not belittle.

There may be a time and place for brutal opinion, but it must be seen for just that, understood and accepted by both writer and reader, and not used irresponsibly. "I did not like it" is not a valid critique, even when long and tedious reasons are given. If you like it, great. If you do not, critique from your head. Be honest. Be specific. Be clear. Do not expect your little hand will be held as you read. Dead poets do not do that for you, and neither should any living ones.

Ohsure, discussion and exchange of ideas are nice. Welcomed. Learned from. But look at the big picture and remember one thing: In the end, only kindness matters. (Jewel)
User Image

The WW&CCF has long been a big part of the Colosseum, and that doesn't change in Colosseum V. Please, feel free to donate or apply for a grant to help in funding your contest. Both donations and grant applications should be requested via a private message to the WW&CCF Hostess, Mahayr, or by posting in the WW&CCF's where (stickied in the Writing Contests forum).
Please visit the WW&CCF where for details before applying!

Mahayr
1. Postcards, stamps, real handwritten notes!
You may also just post in the where! Messages, pictures, greetings.

THE POSTCARD CLUB!!!

2. Need a Grant for a contest
you do not have enough gold or prizes to sponsor alone?
Apply for one from the
WW&CCF Foundation stickied in the WC forum.

3. Get to know your fellows. Chat, discuss, joke, and stay informed in the
FOUNDATION HEADQUARTERS WHERE

Kindest regards always...

Mahayr
WW&CCF

[ Foundation Staff ]
S`qarr - Owner - Admiral
Mahayr - Partner / Hostess - First Mate
Adimurti - Partner - Captain
GrantOrg - The Original - Torch Bearer
Major Domo - Foundation / Treasury Agent - Boatswain
Torches Of Nero - Colosseum Agent - Midshipman

And of course, do join our Guild, The Pillar of Worlds.

User Image User Image User Image User Image

-Writing Contests, Charity, Grants, Guild
User Image
[listed alphanumerically]
click the logo to go to the site!

User Image Dictionary.com
User Image a Guide to the Art of Poetry
User Image the Ministry of Malcontent (Poetic Form)
User Image PoemHunter.com
User Image Reference.com
User Image RhymeZone.com
User Image Thesaurus.com
User Image Wikipedia.com
User Image

Added to the Ignore List for This or That.
His Name Is No More

User Image

Regulars to the Colosseum Throughout the Generations.
Members of the White List Leave with a Scar... Be Warned!

Honourable Mention
LongTimeListener, the Original Ownder of the Colosseum!
Mahayr, the Previous Owner of the Colosseum!

alterdayshift
BlueBus
demagoguery
Gambol
Kiria Delusional Kitty
the Love Mutt
omgChe
Penden
Probably Zero
serpenteyes
WhingingNinja

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
my firefly heart is still right there in your glass jar...

and so it begins continues.
^^

...i never trusted anyone more to poke enough holes in the lid

Mega Codger

Sweet, new thread is lookin' nice.
The reincarnation is welcomed. razz

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Defender Name: His Name Is No More
Judge I Prefer: Doesn't matter to me...
Form: Bring what your best at...
Context: Bring what your best at...
The Bet: 4,500Gold...

Is this all I need to do to join?

Sweet. Death of Colosseum 4 I would assume,then. I'll have my poem ready for mine and che's duel soon.

School has me occupied.

3,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
my firefly heart is still right there in your glass jar...

@che: why, thank you. ^^

@wing: thanks. you should post a challenge! ><

@his name is no more: that's it. just need you a judge and challenger now. ><

@luis: nuuu. not the death of coli iv at all! new owner = new wheres. it's the way of the coli.

...i never trusted anyone more to poke enough holes in the lid

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces