Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
You're up. Good luck!

I keep refreshing the front page like it's going to update itself. OTZ
I peed my pants. =D

On a more serious note, I have a couple questions. (I'm in the middle of setting up my thread, but I'm getting those nasty "Oops! Can't post that soon" messages).

I was scanning through the prompts, and came to the art sections, where you request that we describe the outfits of various classes and professions. If our world has multiple cultures (which mine does) and therefore clothing styles unique to that region, do you want us to pick one culture to use for each of these prompts, or would it be acceptable to, say, describe the appropriate outfit for each culture?

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ici Chiot
I peed my pants. =D

On a more serious note, I have a couple questions. (I'm in the middle of setting up my thread, but I'm getting those nasty "Oops! Can't post that soon" messages).

I was scanning through the prompts, and cam to the art sections, where you request that we describe the outfits of various classes and professions. If our world as multiple cultures (which mine does) and therefore clothing styles unique to that region, do you want us to pick one culture to use for each of these prompts, or would it be acceptable to, say, describe the appropriate outfit for each culture?

There are going to be a lot of prompts that ask very general questions about people but require answers where you have a specific type of person in mind. There are two ways you can go about this. You can provide a survey of multiple types of people to answer the question, or you can provide a more in depth answer for one particular type of person.

There are going to similar questions for places, concepts, religion, etc... Answer with as much specificity or generality as you think will be useful to you.
Lea Fealith

There are going to be a lot of prompts that ask very general questions about people but require answers where you have a specific type of person in mind. There are two ways you can go about this. You can provide a survey of multiple types of people to answer the question, or you can provide a more in depth answer for one particular type of person.

There are going to similar questions for places, concepts, religion, etc... Answer with as much specificity or generality as you think will be useful to you.

Awesome. Thanks ever so much for the quick response.

I'm afraid more detail is going to be better for my little world than less. There's only a handful of cultures (it's a very small, very new world), but I'd feel much better fleshing each of them out equally.
Name: Ici Chiot
World Name: Izarn
Thread Link: The Challenge!

EDITED:

Challenges 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and 1.6 are complete. =3
Another question, regarding prompt 1.6.

I already have a map created for this world. Would it be acceptable for me to post this, even if it's just temporarily so that I may continue on with the other challenges? I'm totally willing to re-do the map (not to the same detail I've got) before I'm finished the challenge.
I woke up and started thinking that maybe I'd do a different world instead, for a novel I've already written that needs a lot of revision still... what do I do?

crying

It might be easier since I already know about it but want to flesh it out more...

EDIT: Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I want to do this one instead of the world for Dawn's World.

Except... I have some questions. The world as it stands has two distinct eras: "the world as it was before" and "the world as it is now", after the gods remade it to be safer -- drew all the continents together, kicked the monsters out, and made a wall of magic to protect the people. I'm not sure how this is going to conflict (or not) with some of the prompts. I guess I'll just have to pick depending on the question?

EDITEDIT: LOL there is even a prompt to cover this! 3.3.4 xd
Name: radioactive alchemist
World Name: Imelion
Thread Link: Here!

Annnnnd prompts 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, & 1.6 are done (providing we can use a map we've already drawn, as per Ici's question).

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
About Maps: I understand that is very likely that many people will already have a map of the world that they want to use, so I'm fine with them providing that one. However, if you are using a world in which you've already written a great deal of information, and see yourself doing a lot of cutting and pasting, please either consider starting a new world from scratch, or informing me that you will be reusing a lot of already existing information, which will disqualify you from the prize money. You can of course still use the prompts, you just can't be in the challenge officially.

RA: With every question you can decide what aspect of the world you want to answer it with. I just decided not to say things like "choose a particular era/place/person/etc" for every single prompt, as it would have increased the wordcount a great deal.

If there are any questions on specific prompts I'll clarify for you if you need.

And, if you guys find any prompts that you feel are completely redundant, please tell me and I will cull them. After a while I forget what I've written.
Oh, I haven't actually written anything down about the world itself -- everything except the map is either in my head or barely mentioned/outlined. So I'm not copy & pasting anything, just putting into writing and expanding the basic ideas I've already got (which, looking at the prompts up so far, isn't anywhere as much as I thought I had). Most of it only about the world itself, so once I get into the culture sections is where I'll have to start to think. xp

And I know next to nothing about the Uncharted Lands.
Lea Fealith
About Maps: I understand that is very likely that many people will already have a map of the world that they want to use, so I'm fine with them providing that one. However, if you are using a world in which you've already written a great deal of information, and see yourself doing a lot of cutting and pasting, please either consider starting a new world from scratch, or informing me that you will be reusing a lot of already existing information, which will disqualify you from the prize money. You can of course still use the prompts, you just can't be in the challenge officially.

RA: With every question you can decide what aspect of the world you want to answer it with. I just decided not to say things like "choose a particular era/place/person/etc" for every single prompt, as it would have increased the wordcount a great deal.

If there are any questions on specific prompts I'll clarify for you if you need.

And, if you guys find any prompts that you feel are completely redundant, please tell me and I will cull them. After a while I forget what I've written.

Awesome! :3 My map is useable. And as I am one of those people working with an already created world, I am more than happy to send you a link (through private message) to the website which contains all the current information, so that you know nothing is being copy and pasted. It mainly contains info on the major races, very basic summaries about the nations, and some information on a few existing animal species. I have no cultural information completed at all.

Which is why I wanted to participate in this challenge, of course. =D

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Damn guys, I haven't even started up my tracking spreadsheet. XD

Amateur Capitalist

17,050 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
radioactive alchemist

Except... I have some questions. The world as it stands has two distinct eras: "the world as it was before" and "the world as it is now", after the gods remade it to be safer -- drew all the continents together, kicked the monsters out, and made a wall of magic to protect the people. I'm not sure how this is going to conflict (or not) with some of the prompts. I guess I'll just have to pick depending on the question?

EDITEDIT: LOL there is even a prompt to cover this! 3.3.4 xd

I'm not sure if you got this question answered, but yeah, just pick depending on the question.
HolySHIT this is going to be a lot of work.
That being said, I think I'll give it a go. Make me feel better about ducking out of NaNo this year. Will send official application when I've done a little brainstorming and come up with a name. (IE, probably tomorrow? hopefully.)

ALSO. Can I offer these prompts to my school's Writer's Guild? Full credit to you, of course; but they're a crazy bunch of masochists the kind that would really enjoy this, if nothing else for the insightful questions, even if they aren't Gaia members. (Some of them are, but not active.)

Thank you for setting this up; it's such a cool idea.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff