Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image
User Image
User Image

User Image

Welcome to the world of Pyromania, I am you hostess and judge Techno_Nitrate_Bunny. I, along with 4 other volunteers, will be the ones to critique your poetry or short story and give you a fair rating on your writing…

I’m an indeed one who suffers from Pyromania, personally I get captured in the perfection of the flames. The reason I decided to start this contest because I’m intrigued to see how many of you can transmit the idea of mass destruction using fire into a poetic state.

My challenge for you to use a collaboration of information collected from the web sites I gave you, personal experiences (if any), and the prompts & imagery I will provide for you to create a poem or a short story that portrays the Pyromania in a realistic way.

This is a rather challenging contest but what is the point of joining if you aren’t challenged.

This is an example as to what I am looking for....

Imagery: smiling faces warped within the flames.
Prompt: Is this a crime.
“ No, no it can’t be, nothing this beautiful and go against the human law. I am mealy sharing everlasting beauty with a world to blind to see the absolute magnificence of such a powerful thing.

Prompt: Oh such a fixation.

“Such a beauty, the flames of yellow and orange with shimmering red. Its so, so charming the flames as the dance on the whispers of moon beams.”

I chose one image and two prompts to create the poem below.

With Scent of Butane

I am not the violin!
Nor am I the one to cast the first stone.
It is not I who had done deeds of grinning demons,
Warped out
in a twisted display of my perfection.
This is my world and true desire, scorching my insides.
Yes, heating my throbbing heart

I've done nothing wrong
Simply did I try and share beauty of passionate destruction.
Godly power brought down to mere mortals who look down on me!
They cannot understand this glowing flame
And for this they shall live in ignorance.

It’s a ******** three Rings Circus doom to collided,
Head on with a swirling masquerade of rotting decay and sin.
Following this horrid congregation of human disgust
Is the melancholic tune of sobbing angels; it will cast its self upon the world.
Striking down all that have sinned with out proper excuse!

And only with this tune will they understand.
All the fatuous bastards that looked down on me will finally glance trough my eyes.
Where they will see the gleaming flame as I do, and know it’s sweet temperate motions.
This is my passion, what I thrive for: the power, the beauty, and the destruction.
It’s not I who lives forever searching for the next cheap thrill!

I am not like them for they will never understand all that is held in the flame of a burning match…

User Image Introduction Rules :: Judges / Judging:: Requirements :: Poetry and Prose / Web Links :: Entries / Donators / Prizes / Fee :: Submission Forms:: Bulletin board :: Winners circle / Black list / White list ::
User Image
User Image
User Image

With any well run contest there are of course rules. These rules are nonnegotiable and you are expected to abide by all of these rules or you will be kicked out and banned form any further events I may hold.

1) Plagiarism is Not Tolerated at all. I do not put up with it and if I find that you are committing plagiarism you will be black listed and I will tell as many people I can that you practice plagiarism. If it is not you work do not claim it to be your own, it is not right. Believe me there are many ways to test a piece and I promise you we will be checking.

2) It is not your place to brutally criticize anyone’s work. You do however have say in wether or not you enjoyed another’s work. If you are just being facetious, obnoxious, or simply put an a**, you will be black listed.

3) Obnoxious commenting is another thing that is not accepted here.

Ex: (OMG OMG OMG, I LOVE THIS POEM!!!!!!!!!)
That is obnoxious and you will be asked to leave. “Text Talk” is also something that gets on my nerves… don’t do it here.

4) Bumping is not forbidden but keeps it to a minimum please. I don’t like a bunch of junk with in the posting grounds. Don’t bump this page unless it’s not on the first page.

5) Stay and chat for a while, it helps the waiting time pass faster.

6) Each person may enter one of each submission.

7) Do not beg here, don’t beg donators, and do not beg wealthier competitors, their gold is theirs. If they wish to donate to you they will do so on their own . They do not need the irritation of others.

8 ) Don’t complain about not winning… it's juvenile, don’t do it. You will irritate me and I will black list you.

9) Don’t advertise here. It’s rude.

11) Have loads and loads of fun. Be nice to each other and I’ll be nice to you.

Introduction::User Image Rules:: Judges / Judging :: Requirements :: Poetry and Prose :: Entries / Donators / Prizes :: Submission Forms :: Bulletin board :: The winners circle :: Black list :: Reserved
User Image
User Image
User Image

Judges

Screen Name: Techno_Nitrate_Bunny

Time on Gaia: About 10 months

Have you judged any previous contest?: No this is my first on running and judging

Have you entered previous contest: Many but this is one of them…. If you would like to see more go see my posts.

A Knightly poetry/ Short Story contest

What do you look for?: Stability within lyricism, abstract meaning and distant post that throw me for twists and turns… I don’t like love stories and unrealistic behavior within charter development and reactions. I am not necessarily a grammar nazi in the English language, but if you are going to use another language and you completely show that you don’t know the language well enough to write in it, I will defiantly mark you down.

2) Screen Name: ChildishWishes
Time on Gaia: Almost three years

Have you judged any previous contest?: First one judging but I do attend a special school for the literary arts.

Have you entered previous contest: Yes, I have, but it's been quite a while (i.e., since I first started on Gaia in 2005-2006)

What do you look for?: Creativity, Grammar, Spelling, Basic Structure of a Short Story/Poem/etc., Use of Language, Application of Given Challenge, Inspiration, Twists on Clichés

3)
Screen Name: Migoto Neko

Time on Gaia: About 3 years.

Have you judged any previous contest?: I’ve participated in no previous judging

Have you entered previous contest: I’ve participated in no previous contests.

What do you look for?: Proper usage of words and spelling. I also pay close attention to accuracy in facts, so please don’t pull something out of the air and act like its true; I will probably be able to tell and you will be docked. Story lines must be out of the usually way of things. This also goes for poetry, most likely a dull way of speech wont get you far wiht me, although there are always exceptions to the rules.

4) Screen Name: evilperson201

Time on Gaia: almost 2.5 years

Have you judged any previous contest?: No, not as of yet. This'll be my first time, but I'm not an easy judge to sway.

Have you entered previous contest: Yep, and I plan to enter a lot more.
Horror Writing Contest

What do you look for?: I personally look for originality, creativity, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proper word usage, interesting vocabulary, a unique story line, twists or extremely well written clichés, use of the prompt/theme given or use of a prompt/theme overall, imagery, rhythm(in poems that blatantly show that they are meant to have it), and explained facts. I don't mind if you have magic as long as you can explain how it works. Another thing you should know is that I don't mind if you write in a different language as long as you can ACTUALLY WRITE IN IT. I don't want Japanese with proper English grammar.

5) Open

If you would like to become a judge fill out the fallowing and send it to me. Title it: “Such a Beautiful Flame”

[b]Screen Name: [/b]

[b]Time on Gaia:[/b]

[b]Have you judged any previous contest?:[/b] (post link or link here if you have)

[b]Have you entered previous contest:[/b] (post link or links here it you have)

[b]What do you look for?:[/b]

Judging Scale

Poems: You will be jugged on a scale of 1- 60

1) Use of given images in you own words: 10
2) Use of prompt: 10
3) Creativity: 10
4) Realism: 20
5) Grammar And Spelling:10

Shot Stories: Because of differences in criteria you will be judged on a
scale of 1-100

1) Use of given image: 10
2) Use of prompt: 10
3) Creativity: 20
4) Realism: 30
5) Grammar And Spelling: 15
6) Plot and Character Development: 25

Each person will get a score from each of the judges and each result will be averaged and posted with a critique at the end of the date.

(Note yes the prompt and imagery are a small part of you score. But if you don’t use them believe me you, you wont win.

Introduction:: Rules:: User ImageJudges / Judging:: Requirements:: Poetry and Prose / Web Links :: Entries / Donators / Prizes :: Submission Forms :: Bulletin board :: Winners circle / Black list / White list ::
User Image
User Image

User Image

1) You Must choose a least one of the given images and a least one of the prompts with in your poem. No it doesn’t have to be exactly word for word. But it has to be entailed some where in the poem.

2) You can use any combo of imagery and prompts as long as you use at least one prompt and one image.

3) All Short stories must be a minimum of 900 words there is no Maximum. Yes I, and the rest of us will be checking…. A slight bend of the minimum is acceptable but don’t push it.

4) Poems Must be at least 4 stanza long any Form

Introduction :: Rules :: Judges / Judging :: User Image Requirements :: Poetry and Prose / Web Links :: Entries/ Donators/ Prizes :: Submission Forms :: Bulletin board :: Winners circle / Black list / White list ::
User Image
User Image
User Image

These prompts are thoughts of my own, realizations I have come across while in my years of suffering form extreme pyromania. You are to use these as a springboard, do not take the wording of any of these and use them in your poem or story exactly. That is plagiarism and you know my feelings on that.

Prompt #1: Trap with in your own distraction.
“My intention where not to end the tempered beating of own tethered heart. My wishesh to destroy the superficial world people have come so accustom to. And now this is me, a rat trapped within walls god like power.”

Prompt #2: Oh such a fixation.

“Such beauty is the flame that slowly mixes to a glowing yellow and bleeding red; this orange its so, so charming. I watch amazed as the flames dance with the whispers of moonbeams.”

Prompt #3: Is this a crime.
“ No, no it can’t be, nothing this beautiful can go against human law. I am mealy sharing everlasting beauty with a world to blind to see the absolute magnificence of such a powerful thing."

Imagery#1: Flames presenting themselfves as women dancing around in tattered dresses (use in your own words)

Imagery#2: Gazing in to the sparkling eyes of and unknown being hidden with in the flames of a fresh fire.. (Use in your own words)

Imagery#3:
The feeling of flames on flesh is the can almost feel as cool searing touch of ice resting on pail skin.
(use in your own words)

Imagery#4: Smiling faces warped within the flames. (use in your own words.)

Web links:

NCBI

psychnet-uk

Wrong Diagnosis

A Healthy Me

Wikipedia

Introduction :: Rules :: Judges / Judging :: Requirements :: User Image Poerty and Prose / Web Links :: Entries / Donators / Prizes :: Submission Forms :: Bulletin board :: Winners circle / Black list / White list ::
User Image
User Image
User Image

Entries

User Image

Your Screen name : knight_of_chivalry (gaia) / sired (freewebs)

Title: Yellow dancing demons

URL: http://www.freewebs.com/sired/yellowdancingdemons.htm

Rating: K, No explicit content

Warnings:No explicit content

User Image

Your Screen name knight_of_chivalry (gaia) / sired (freewebs)
Title: London Bridge

URL: http://www.freewebs.com/sired/londonbridge.htm

Setting: Urban Area

Genre: Thriller

Rating: pg-13

Warnings: May be slightly disturbing, but not too bad.

Summary:A mentally-disturbed pyromaniac walks down the street in search of love.

Story Form

User Image

Your Screen Name TheErikaness
Title: What Do You Feel?

URL: What Do You Feel

Setting: Not Set

Genre: Not Set

Rating: No Explicit content

Warnings: N/A

Summary:A pyromaniac comes home from an appointment with a psychologist.

User Image

Your Screen name The Onigiri and Nezumi

Title: The Burn of Delight

URL: The Burn of Delight

Rating: K+

Warnings: No explicit content.

Story Form

User Image

Your Screen name:Kris_The_Wolfen
Title: The Flamed Love
URL: http://www.freewebs.com/wolf_master4life/The Flamed Love.htm

Setting: In a town midnight as a small 12 year old play with a gentle flame.

Genre: Sad Short Story.

Rating: PG-13. Graphic in some areas, but ok for viewing.

Warnings: Some graphic stuff. Be careful.

Summary: Talks about a young girl who's only friend is her pet fire, and how he family and town views her.

User Image

Your Screen Name: Weiss Hazard
Title: Prometheus

URL: Prometheus

Setting: Small, modern town or suburban development.

Genre: Short Story

Rating: PG-13

Warnings: N/A

Summary: The delusional crusade of a pyromaniac who fancies himself the new Prometheus, come to deliver warmth to a frigid little town.

7)
User Image

Symphonica

Title: Arabian Dawn

URL: http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2412267/1/

Rating: K+ - T

Warnings: Implied death; no explicit content.

8 )
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)

Fee

Do to a request of a trusted Gaian veteran; I have eliminated the entry fee. Though donations are welcome and appreciated.
Prizes

Prizes

First Place:: 9K
Second Place:: 4.75K
Third Place:: 2.75

Judges

To be divided among all Judges (except the hostess) - 3K

Donators
WW&CCF: 15K heart

Total Income

Introduction :: Rules :: Judges / Judging :: Requirements :: Poerty and Proes / Web Links :: User Image Entries / Donators / Prizes :: Submission Forms :: Bulletin board :: Winners circle / Black list / White list ::
User Image

All entries must be posted on one of the following websites:

Fiction Press
Geocities
Freewebs

Once you upload you poem or story fill out the corresponding entry from below.

Poem Form:

[align=left][IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/BiteDown/Poementryheaddinh.gif[/IMG]

[b]Your Screen name[/b]

[b] Title:[/b]

[b]URL:[/b]

[b]Rating:[/b]

[b]Warnings:[/b][/align]

[align=left][b]Story Form[/b]

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p164/BiteDown/storyhedder.gif[/IMG]

[b]Your Screen name[b]
[b] Title: [/b]

[b] URL: [/b]

[b] Setting: [/b]

[b] Genre: [/b]

[b] Rating: [/b]

[b] Warnings: [/b]

[b] Summary:[/b][/align]

Introduction :: Rules :: Judges / Judging :: Requirements :: Poerty and Prose :: Entries / Donators / Prizes ::User Image Submission Forms :: Bulletin board :: The winners circle / Black list ::
User Image

Posted: Friday June 8th 2007 12:17 am

Dates

June 8- September 8

You will have 3 months from today to construct your poem and submit your piece. I will stop accepting All new project at exactly 12:00 midnight September 8. Every one that has already sighed up for the contest has One week to turn in their entry complete. If you have yet to do so by this time your Entry Fee will be considered a donation and will not be returned to you. On September15 judging will take place… considering the fact that all judges will have to read trough your entries I expect that the judging process will take two weeks depending on how many we have. On the 29th of September the winners will be announced and prizes will be awarded.

Posted: Friday June 8th 2007 12:20 Am

Plagiarizing and Fee

If you are caught plagiarizing your entry fee will be counted as a Donation and your Fee will not be returned to you.

Posted: Friday June 29th 2007 10:00 pm

Unofficial entries and Entry fees

I have decided to stop charging an entry fee and I will no longer be gaining in any money from this contest for personal usage. Because I'm no longer taking in a fee the prizes will be lowered. Also any entries that do not fallow proper format will be ignored until the problem is fixed. Please use the entry forms while entering the contest. Thank you.

Posted: Tuesday July 24th 2007 7:30 pm

Banners

I am currently on a system that doesn't run any form of banner making program. Knowing this and the fact that banners always draw more attention to a contest I am currently offering the first 2 people that create a well made banner 500g. This offer is coming Solely out of my gold collection and will not affect the donated Gold or prizes already set for the contest. If your a interested PM me and we can work out the details. Thank You
Looking at you, holding my breath.

Don't bump unless the topic is off the first page, please.

For once in my life, I'm scared to death.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff