██████████ x▌█████ █████ ████ ██ █████

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
█████ ██ ████ █████ █████ ▌██████████

Rules & Guidelines

o1.__Follow Gaia Online’s Terms of Service.
        o2.__Have respect for fellow contestants.
        o3.__Plagiarism is death.
        o4.__Entries must be PMed to OriginalSooshi or posted in this thread. You will have until the due date to edit and enter - any entries edited/sent in after this time will not be allowed.
        o5.__No trolling/flaming/spamming/etc. If you don't like the way someone else writes, you shouldn't be here.
        o6.__Listen always to your host, OriginalSooshi.
        o7.__If any entrant uses illiteracy, chat speak or graphic scenes (violence, sex) above PG-13, they will be asked to change it once. If they do not comply, the entry will be disqualified.
        o8.__If you have a question, make sure it has been answered in the FAQs before you post; otherwise, ask away!
        o9.__Prose only.
        1o.__Feedback is optional. Do not get upset over it - this will be a chance to improve what needs to be fixed, and perhaps you will get through next time.
        11.__Entries must be a length between 800-3500 words. If you have fewer or greater than this, PM OriginalSooshi with the amount you differ by for her to consider.
        12.__You will send in an entry with this form:

[size=11][b]Username: [/b]
        [b]Story Title: [/b]
        [b]Prompts Used: [/b]
        [b]Story Length: [/b] Between 800-3500 words.
        [b]Feedback: [/b]Would you like feedback? This is optional - you can choose 'yes' or 'no'. If you choose no, you will not recieve feedback. If you choose yes, each judge will write personalized feedback to be PMed to you or posted under your story in the entry thread.
        [b]Entry: [/b][/size]

|| entry thread ||

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Rounds, Hosts & Prizes

DOING THE ROUNDS.

So, there will be four rounds in this contest. The first round is just plain judging - any number of entrants can compete to qualify for the next round, the quarter-finals. The top eight scores from this round will move up, then the top four from there step through to the semi-finals. Once we calculate the top two scores from that round, they will battle it out in the finals to score top place.

For those who don't make it past the first round, do not fear! After the last round of this competition, we will be hosting a second season. Each entrant has another chance to go through to the quarter-finals and have a shot at winning the big bucks!

Each round is based on a different genre, those of which will be revealed as the contest goes on. What stays the same? The rounds will include the use of a particular prompt, chosen from a set. They will be judged through the same system, which allows the same compilation of points.

OUR LOVELY HOSTS.

This competition (normally hosted by two judges), is currently hosted by one - OriginalSooshi - who will tally up a number of points for each entry and give personalized feedback to those who ask.

SOMEBODY SAY PRIZES?

We get to the subject you guys love - prizes! Yes, there will be prizes! Though, they may go up in value depending on donations or the prize pool. They are as following:

First place - 80k
Second place - 70k
Honourable mention - 50k
Second honourable mention - 50k
Unique prize chosen by the judges - 50k

As a special bonus prize, each piece that places will be promoted on my Tumblr page. If you have a Tumblr account and you place, let me know so I can tag you in the post.

|| entry thread ||

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Prompts & Point System

PROMPTS.

Each round, depending on which genre we will be using for them, will have a different set of prompts. Different prompt lists will appear here as the competition goes on, being updated according to rounds. Your points for this section will be based on how you use your prompt in relation to the rest of the entry. The specific point system per round is included in the entry thread. YOU ARE NOT LIMITED TO ONE PROMPT. USE AS MANY AS YOU FEEL ARE NECESSARY.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxRound One ;; A Twist In Time - closes July 20, 2013
                            SCIENCE FICTION. Welcome to the world of time travel. This is a genre where you can go anywhere, do anything, meet anyone! It's all up to you. There are few requirements, but one is this - you've entered a life of science fiction, and should keep it as such. You must include one of the prompts below. The prompts could be someone speaking, or a sentence to use within the entry (prompts that can be changed to be either will be marked with a star). You could get a maximum of two bonus points for using the highlighted prompt.

o1. The vortex shone brightly, pulling him/her forward.
                                o2. "Where the hell am I?"*
                                o3. "Do not touch that! If you do, you die."
                                o4. It was a shock, seeing a familiar face in a strange crowd. There were no words to describe the feeling.*

POINT SYSTEM.

One judge will tally up your points according to how they interpret your entry. The judge can give a maximum of 30 points. Each entry will be compared together in order to generate the highest score. These will be based on the following:

Originality - /10
Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation - /10
Use Of Prompt - /5
Points Specific To Round - /3
Bonus Points - /2

|| entry thread ||

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Contestants & Entries

o1. Amoeba Dreamer - Accidental Landing on Another World
                                o2. youknowimaidiot - Left in Time
                                o3. huskies4EVER - Lost Lapses
                                o4. caibutterfly1689 - The Experiment
                                o5. Contestant - Entry
                                o6. Contestant - Entry
                                o7. Contestant - Entry
                                o8. Contestant - Entry
                                o9. Contestant - Entry
                                1o. Contestant - Entry
                                11. Contestant - Entry
                                12. Contestant - Entry

|| entry thread ||

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

FAQs

Can I use something I wrote before today?
                                I'd prefer if you didn't, but as long as it fits the prompt and follows the guidelines, then sure.

How long should my entry be?
                                If you had read the rules, you'd know it has to be between 800-3500 words, though you can PM me if you are over or under this amount.

When will the judges be finished with the entries?
                                Once we close the round to judge, it shouldn't take anymore than a week to get the results posted. We'll inform you if the process will take any longer.

Does this need to be an original work, or is fanfiction allowed?
                                Guys, I love fanfiction! Please feel free to write one as your entry (although, you should probably check out my tumblr to see what kinds of things I will know!).

|| entry thread ||

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Contest History

June 2, 2012. Contest was created.
                                June 2, 2012. First round open to contestants.
                                September 8, 2012. Second round now open, after a long wait.
                                May 25, 2013. Sparks & Games received no entries for the second round of season one, so we're reopening and starting anew. Please feel free to enter.

|| entry thread ||

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Want To Judge?

We are currently looking for a judge to help out with the renewal of Sparks & Games.

Would you like to be our mystery judge for any of the four rounds? Maybe you'd like to judge all four? We're looking for the second mystery judge to join our panel and assist us in giving the contestants a fair and pleasant experience. You will be expected to be nice, firm and objective whilst judging the entries. Have no prior history of judging? We don't care. You don't need to know how to do it - just ask, and we'll help you out. All that we require you to do is fill out the following form and PM it to OriginalSooshi.

[size=11][b]Username: [/b]
          [b]Why do you want to judge? [/b]
          [b]Why should we choose you? [/b]
          [b]Can we count on you to be present often enough for judging? Include timezone here. [/b][/size]

|| entry thread ||

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RESERVED

|| entry thread ||

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RESERVED

|| entry thread ||

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
So, hello to all potential contestants. c: I'm your host, OriginalSooshi, but you guys can either call me Sooshi or Jess.
This sounds interesting! If I can come up with something, I'll definitely enter!

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
MadBlossom Torsorosy

Awesome. (: I can't wait to see if you do.

3,950 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Oh look, it's Sooshi!
Of course I'll be joining once I have the time ^^

Beloved Hunter

5,125 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Shyania