Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Thank you! Entry up in a while...
No problem! The results for Simple Sentiments, are now up.

2,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm not sure if this is acceptable. The whole story is more emotional? It's only one scene, but a chunk of explanation and thoughts...Could you tell me if it's acceptable? If not, I can change...

Fallen Butterfly

We were two. Now we are one. That was the first thought that popped into my head as I saw her graceful figure, lying on the bed. The hospital was always painted as a heartwarming white place with nice people, but now it's different. It's actually a blood-thirsty creature, waiting to suck in more to satisfy its bloodthirst. But she won't give in. Not after I have given my own determination to her. When I have given a part of me.

Two years older than me. That was all. But it seemed as though the gap was so big that all the water in the sea couldn't fill it up. Tall-built, and petite. Straightforward and secret-hiding. Disliked and popular. Talkative and quiet. We were different in every way possible. The way people viewed us, the friends we have, and even the paths of life we led.

I had everything, though I never realized it. Upon my birth, my aunts loved me, my parents adored my innocence, and I just had a natural flair with the others. Afterall, I was that fair, small innocent little girl. Compared to the darker-skinned, tall-built, straightforward or rude older sister. I was admitted into the gifted program, while my sister failed the second entrance test. I was appointed a student leader and quit, while my sister prayed for it day and night.

And while I was Ms. Popular to everyone including the children, my sister suffered bites and kicks from even her peers. But all these only had one effect. She hated me. Endless fights, arguments, bruises, punches, and who knows what if our parents did not stop us every time. And everytime, my temper would rise for one line. That one sentence she knew ticked me off. "You're so pampered. By everyone." She would say every time she got angry with me. I never understood why she was angry, but the fire in me burned once I hear those words.

I never thought I'd love her. She was my worst enemy afterall, from the day I was born. I never saw anything...Never thought about anything. Until the butterfly fell. Onto the hard ground.

I secretly called her butterfly. Everyone thought I was nuts when I said it aloud once. My sister always thought herself to be the uglier of us two. The taller, the broader, the darker, the bigger feet, and the list goes on. To her, she was hideous. But to me, she was an angel.

Of course, I fought with her day and night. I fought with her without a care of anything else. But I've always secretly looekd up to her. Yes, I hated her with a passion. But I still looked up to her. I've always thought she was prettier, or so it seemed. So while she called herself a pig, a monster, I called her a butterfly. For she WAS graceful. She had been a gymnast before. And every bit of her was feminine, unlike me, the more tomboyish one in the family.

Butterfly. It never wanders alone. Normally, there's another butterfly with it. Perhaps squabbling, perhaps fighting, but nonetheless there. And everyone who saw the two would know that they were made to be together forever. And that was the way it was with the two of us.

It never struck me until a week ago. The heavy storm sure added to the dramatic effect too. My parents finally told me about my sister, my beloved older sister, who had fallen ill. Critically ill. She fainted that day. We rushed to the hospital and all, and that was also when I saw the bloodhtirsty monster in this innocent facade of a hospital.

Something about her liver I remember. The words were blurred and blotched by the thunder and the sobbing sounds from mum. Next thing I knkew, everything came spilling out. Her diary, her thoughts, everything from the time I was born. It was like opening the dam, and suddenly, there is this huge flood washing over you. The same thing followed with the tears.

It never struck me that she had been jealous. That my own sister had felt inferior to me. It never ocurred to me that for the rest of my life, I'll live with the guilt of having never said...'I love you' to a dying girl, who longed only to be like her younger sister. I never saw the things she did, each time she stood up for me in kindergarten, every night she covered me with a blanket in secret, every birthday she gave me a card or a present.

The tides didn't stop there. It continued as more secrets poured out. How she needed a transplant or she will definitely die. How she had discovered this long ago. How I was the only one who didn't know. And how I was the only one who could save her. And I did, or at least I tried.

I gave her a part of me, a half of my liver. I gave her my will, my soul along with it. I gave her my respect, the respect she deserved for putting up with such a foolish younger sister. But I held back the tears. I couldn't give her the tears too.

I remember the last words I said to her. It was still ringing in my head. "I hate you!" That was the first time I had said it to her face, shouted it really. The room was still later. It was another aftermath of another ground-shattering argument. And the last she heard while conscious.

Lub Dub...Lub dub... I could almost imagine the lines on the screen to be her heartbeat, jumping up and down like I learned in Biology. To be alive. Everything seemed so calm. But you know what they say 'Calm before the storm'. I had to be prepared. Prepared for the gushing of waves, prepared for the final loud continuous beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

My face pressed against the glass, though unwilling to touch anything else in this monstrous place unneccasarily. Everyone was still sobbing, waiting as patiently as they could. But noone could tear me away from the glass. From my own sister. From a part of me.

It went off. Like a siren. And so did something in me. It snapped. "I love you..." Came the whisper. It must have been my imagination. But just then, they announced. The butterfly had fallen.
Well... it doesn't seem to be a chunk of a story to me. It seems more to me like a completed piece, which infact has nothing before it, or after it. Which isn't what I'm looking for. I'm not saying I won't accept it if you want me to, but it isn't what I'm after at all.

I'm after a piece taken from the middle or from inside a longer story piece. Good focus points are on basic character building, the character relations and the culture of the location and time in which the piece is set.

2,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Hmm...ok...>< I'll see what I have. But if not, I'll probably not enter. Exams are around...Grr... sweatdrop
Well, it's free, so always feel free to enter ^^

2,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
No, the wind couldn't cease its flowing movement on the lone girl who walked the streets. Glimmers of tears shone from time to time, a figment of what used to be whole, and real. Hazy green eyes did no more than to scan the path quietly, coarse hands made no movement to wipe either the tears or the obstructing hair.

"Neveah! Just the person I was looking for. We're playing a match and-" He stopped, barely inches from her. "Are you alright?" Ben asked, staring at the reddened eyes, and forlorn look. Her face was hidden beneath a thick fringe, hinting different shades of brown and gold.

"I'm fine." Neveah used her normal voice, smiling as she looked up into the older boy. He was a good head taller than her, and stared down right at her cast-down eyes.

"Good. So you're up for the match?" His voice travelled, describing to her about the wonderful game, and the perfect weather. Wonderful...Perfect...Were these words ever in her dictionary? Fine. Yes, she was fine. If by fine you mean ********, instable, near-to-death and emotional. She was fine.

"Yea, and I think we're here." She gave him a false laugh, and he returned it with a hearty smile. Prying the heavy bag off her shoulder, Neveah gave the teams a small smile. They were waiting for her to start the game, impatiently tapping their feet.

"Now, Sander's the referee. Neveah, you'll be the goalie and..." His commands and booming voice trailed off, fading into a sad tune in her head. That was her life...All she was ever needed for was to be that missing link. And when she was there, everything would fade away without her, because everything was fine then. Fine.

It was just like what had happened minutes before. They all thought she was selfish. They thought she was upset because they were going for some stupid restaurant. They thought...But they have never thought that she was upset because they were fighting about her as though she wasn't there. Simply to ignore her, to disregard her feelings, to jump to conclusions. And they were her family.

That was all she was needed, to just be there to fit, and everything else was ok. Neveah, the peacemaker, but never understood. Never...Not even by such a close friend like Ben. "What're you doing? The ball was heading right for the center!" He yelled, glaring at her blank eyes.

There was silence. "Can't you see the girl's about to cry? Gees, Ben." Sander went, telling Ben off. The two boys started rebutting each other, fighting right before her eyes. Just like before. But nothing, she must say nothing.

"Shall we get on with the match now?" She asked timidly, looking at the boys. They sighed, nodding, both tired from the argument. A few seconds later, the ball flew at her again, and she caught it perfectly, rolling on the grass. Her grin of triumph faded, as Neveah struggled. Her fever took charge now, and as she made to stand up, her body collapsed, finally defeated by the wind and chill.
Time passes by fast till 5:35.
When the bright flames of red and yellow ignite.
The clouds burn furiously for two hours.
Each day is hope for the next.
Till then I wait.
Okay! Updating entry list!
I take it you just want the second entry entered, gloria?

Thankyou smile
Tears welled up in his eyes as he tried to swallow. The sugary sweet liquid masquerading as “coffee” burnt his throat and stuck to his teeth. At least he hadn’t spit it up over his fresh white lab coat and newly-pressed black suit.

“Florence!” he called, barely making it to the second syllable before losing his voice to a coughing fit. Then, more forcefully: “Flo!”

Something metal crashed to the ground in the supply room. He winced at the sound, which was immediately followed by clicking footsteps. His assistant, Florence Carlisle, appeared in the lab moments later. She looked more disheveled than the file cabinet she’d probably just overturned. Her long purple hair (the direct result of an experiment gone awry) hung messily over her face. Her glasses were falling off her nose, and her lab coat was on inside out. At least today she’d remembered to put her dress on in the right direction…

“Yes?” Flo asked.

“What is this?” He held out his coffee mug, gesturing toward the nearly white liquid inside.

Flo leaned in close, sniffing at the pale mixture. She took the mug from his hands and held it up to the light, squinting and scrutinizing the contents in the fluorescent glow.

“Coffee,” she finally replied.

“And how did you make it?” It was quite obvious that Dr. Fletcher Facet was angry. His dark blue eyes were narrowed to slits, and he was drumming his fingers irritably against his metal desktop. But even half-aware, anger-blinded Fletcher could tell that Flo was oblivious to his mood. She continued blithely observing his coffee cup with wide black eyes.

“Just the way you asked,” she said. Her voice rang in the usual matter-of-fact way. “Creamer and one sugar. I thought it was a bit strange myself, but I suppose we all do strange things at times.”

Fletcher slapped his forehead. A long moment of silence passed in which he hazarded a glance at Flo, who was happily swirling his coffee mug. Fletcher hit himself again for good measure. But, alas, instead of waking up in a cold sweat, Fletcher found himself sitting at his chromium desk, watching his purple-haired assistant swirl the contents of his coffee cup. Why was it so hard for a mad scientist to find good help?

He brushed a strand of hair from his face--a strand of neon green hair, courtesy of Flo’s latest chemical spill--and sighed. “Remember to add coffee next time, Flo.”

“Well, alright, then. You really should‘ve said that in the first place,” Flo replied. She righted the little round glasses on her nose and scurried off into the supply room to fix the file cabinet. Fletcher was left sitting at his lab table, silently brooding and rubbing his temples. It was times like these that he looked back on the day he’d hired her and fully considered resurrecting the art of self-flagellation in all its glory. Then again, Flo was an excellent test subject (though sometimes he wondered if all the radiation wasn’t starting to get to her).

{Tentative admission. Considering editting. Wanted to post before I had to scurry off to bed. Will PM/post if changes are made.}
Okay! I'll add that up later after you decide to revise or not ^^

2,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Thank you Barb! I'm re-reading the entry...Emo. sweatdrop Gosh, i didn't think I was that upset that day.
Short scenes! Lovely idea.

The week before school ended for the year, I saw Devin for the last time. He invited me to a café on campus for coffee and talk, and I assumed that it would go on the same way all of our other outings had – more laughing than talking, more kissing than laughing. I expected to arrive and have Devin come late, as usual, laughing and pushing distractedly at his straw-colored hair as he apologized for once more losing track of the time.

That was not the case, however, and it was the first sign that told me something was wrong.

Devin was waiting for me, sitting at a table with a cup of coffee. No steam emitted from the cup, which suggested that he’d been there for a while. I swallowed, going over the possibilities of what could be going on. Had someone died? Did he not have housing for next year? Ideas, some ridiculous and some not, were making it hard for me to think.

“What’s going on?” I asked immediately as I sat down across from him. He took a deep breath, stopped, and closed his eyes.

“I’m studying abroad next term. In Paris,” he added, opening his eyes but pointedly avoiding looking at me. A wide smile spread across my face, erasing any trace of the worry I’d been feeling.

“Hey, that’s awesome! Send me a postcard,” I replied with all of the relief that I felt. So nothing was wrong after all; Devin just felt bad that he was leaving me for a year. I was beyond grateful that he’d said nothing bad. Yes, I would miss him (terribly), but it was roses compared to the other possibilities that I had thought of.

“No, it’s…listen. Sam, I’m going to be gone for a year. A year. I’m going to meet people – meet completely new people. I can’t limit myself – I have to be available. It’s part of the experience, you know?” He gave me a false smile that was meant to comfort me, but it failed miserably. I felt hollow, shell-shocked. What had I done wrong?

“We’re finished, then,” I said eventually. It wasn’t a question.

He didn’t degrade me by looking down or away.

“Yeah,” he responded quietly.

I stood up slowly, fighting the urge to punch him. Devin seemed to realize that he had done badly, and tried to rectify it by standing up quickly and giving my cheek a chaste kiss. I scowled darkly at him and said nothing – just left the café as I’d entered. The few other people in there stared at the strange breakup, but I didn’t see them; all I saw was a picture in my head of Devin with some other guy.
Meh, why not. I'll find something to enter. blaugh
Eek! *Falls in*
Hello!

Thankyou guys smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items