4,800 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I wanna Join

Gaia Username: Fake Silence
Title: I Promise
Word count: 871 words

I hope you'll enjoy the story. Comments and criticism welcome, everyone! Please and thank you! :]

I saw him, standing under a lamp post, near my apartment. I glanced at my watch. It was almost midnight. My phone rang. I answered the call. Somebody got the wrong number. It was annoying to get calls like this. I switched off the phone. I did not need disturbance.

I walked into7-eleven. I bought two cokes. I read the time again. It was half past twelve. It began to drizzle. He was still there, standing in the rain, at this late hour. I knew he was waiting for me. Nevermind, he didn’t have to know I was here all the time.

I put my hands into the pockets of my jacket. I took out a cigarette. Then, a lighter. I lit the cigarette. I sucked in a mouthful of smoke. I choked. I didn’t care. I liked the way it helped me forget things that were taking up too much memory space. I continued smoking, enjoying the smoke that came out of my mouth, until I finished the whole packet.

It was two o’clock. The rain never stopped. And, he never moved. Not even a step. I knew he wanted to see me. In fact, I even knew why. He wanted to say sorry. He wanted to apologize for cheating on me. He wanted to apologize for getting together with my best friend, Rita, behind my back, and making her pregnant, with his child. I knew him so well. He too, knew me well enough to understand that I don’t usually accept apologies. I didn’t need his sorries. And, I knew that wasn’t his main purpose. I knew he was going to invite him to his wedding. I saw him hold the invitation card in his hand. He wasn’t really sorry.

Three o’clock. I was getting bored. Watching him stand in the rain was not fun at all. I grabbed the plastic bag containing the cokes. I approached him. Before that, I added heroin into one of the cokes. Heroin was his favourite. I knew he would love it.

“Wanna have a coke?” I handed the can to him, and sat down next to him. I got wet. It was still raining.

“Thanks.” He said. He took out an envelope. He gave it to me. “I’m getting married next month, with Rita.” He said. He finished the whole can, in one go.

“I see.” I told him, tonelessly. I knew I wouldn’t guess wrong. He didn’t mean to apologize. He was getting married. “Congratulations.” I spoke to the floor. He was busy playing with his empty can, but, not for too long.

Twenty minutes past three. He told me he was getting really hot and stuffy. He told me he had a headache. He told me he wanted to go home.

“See you at the wedding.” He tried to smile.

“I don’t need to go.” I spoke to the floor.

He stood up. He sat down on the floor, hard. He stood up, and, sat down, again. I smiled at him.

Four o’clock. He fainted. I knew he wouldn’t hear a word I said. But, all the same, I talked to him.

“You know? I used to be a very happy girl. I had everything I wanted, and was living a comfortable life. But, for you, I gave up almost everything. I left my mom, my dad, my family. I gave up everything I could, for your sake. You and Rita, are all I have left. Now, you made me lose Rena. I cannot lose you anymore. You’re everything I have now. I cannot lose you... I cannot... I cannot...” I started to cry. Nobody saw my tears, it was raining. Plus, who would be here at four o’clock?

Twenty minutes past four. I finally had enough of crying. I wiped away my tears. I laughed. “Now, you’re all mine. All mine! You can’t get away. You’re mine, forever!” I began laughing even louder.

Five o’clock. The rain stopped. So did his heart. I looked at him I stroke his hair. He looked handsome, even with his eyes closed. I stayed by his side, gently touching his face.

Five thirty. I kissed him, fiercely. He did not struggle to get away. I liked the way he remained still as we kissed.

Six o’clock. My lips left his, unwillingly. “I have to go now. But, we’ll meet again, soon. I’ll miss you, honey.” I spoke softly into his ears. I got into my car. I drove away.

Seven thirty. I reached my office. The editor called me to his room. “A twenty-two year old just died in front of 7-eleven. It’s just next to your apartment. He was said to have an overdose of heroin. Why don’t you go over and interview some of the people there, and, write a report for the paper tomorrow? This is going to be big news!” The editor was so excited.

“Yes, of course, I’ll be happy to do that.” I replied, with a smile.

Eight thirty. I reached the scene. I saw the police put his body into a big black plastic bag. I smiled at the plastic bag. “Now, we meet again. You see, I always keep my promises.” I whispered to myself.

Dapper Sex Symbol

Gaia Name: [x] Bob-IT [x]
Title:"They Tell Me I'm Not Dead"
Word Count: 684

They tell me I'm not dead.

They whisper and cry out to me as I slumber.

"He looks so pretty and so lonely," they say as they stare down into my coffin. Flowers are laid upon my chest, fingers stroke my cheek and hands clasp over my fingers. A line of people moves over me, each of them longing to touch my cold, dead, flesh. Each of them stare at me with such a weight of sadness behind their eyes, one impossible for me to understand.

Each of them tells me to wake up.

"You're not dead," they whisper as I lay in my cushy box. Framed by smooth purple silk, my face painted with make up, my hair styled ever so perfectly. It's not hard to imagine I'm just asleep.

Trouble is, I am dead. I stare back from behind my glassy eyes and sigh. Soon enough everyone has paid me their respects. Said goodbye. Kissed my forehead and patted my hands. It's not until everyone is gone I realize how sad and lonely death truly us. It's not until I'm alone with my not-breathing chest. My unblinking eyes. Silent, still, heart that I begin to miss the sound that blood makes as it courses your veins.

I swear I'm about to go mad sitting here alone in the mortuary, laying still in my coffin waiting for my own funeral, when something happens. The casket lid suddenly opens and I'm greeted by a crowd of people. They pick me up, out of the box and carry me away from my afterlife.

It's not for fifteen minutes that I realize where I am. Who picked me up. And it's not for another five minutes that I realize what's going on. I stare in silence as my mother and father stand in the middle of a circle of people; friends, neighbors, family members. All of them out in the middle of the field next to my house.

All of them joined hand in hand. All of them watching me with sadness in their eyes. They lay me flat in the field and my mother smiles at me. "It's time to wake up, baby." She kisses my forehead and runs her hand through my hair. To me, even, it feels clammy.

Candles are lit.

Words and incantations are spoken.

A sacrifice is made.

The goat makes a throaty, gurgling sound as it's neck is sliced.

For a second, I swear I can see it's soul - truly a tiny little thing - float away and join the stars. It's warm blood is spread on my bare skin, it fills me with a warmth I didn't know I forgot. I don't remember being so naked. I suppose perception of such things really fades when you're dead.

Eventually, after the goat is dead and the blood is spread, I hear it.

It's faint, but it's there. The little pulse. A rhythmic beat-beat, beat-beat. From behind glass eyes the world comes into focus. The voices around me sound more alive. The sudden and pungent smell of blood hits me like a sack of bricks. With a groan and a stretch I sit up, eyes sliding from face to face as people come to embrace me.

"You're not dead..." My mother says with a sob.

I'm being hugged by people I never thought cared the slightest of me. I'm in the middle of a big, cliché bear hug when I notice it.

The empty pang in the bottom of my stomach.

I can feel a lump of coal growing in the back of my throat as my mouth begins to salivate. No, not alive, I think as my body begins to move on it's own accord, neck twisting, jaw gaping as my eyes lock onto the forearm of my neighbor, Jed.

A smile creeps across my face as my jaw clamps down hard, teeth tearing at the flesh. Warm, warm blood splatters across my face. It's better than any orgasm I've ever had.

Their screams, really, are the last thing I can remember before I let the hunger take me.

3,750 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Gaia Name: Reili Takamara
Title: The Woman in Black
Word Count: 215

Spirits. These things appeared no matter how much everyone around her denied their existence. Nicole knew this. She grew up with them. No one else could see them. Her father called them her imaginary friends. She remembers one in particular, a woman in black. With shoulder length hair and long skirts that flowed behind her. There were many in their house. She saw them as glowing orbs, fireflies in their house that lit her way at night.

Her two elder siblings, and father saw it differently. They saw Nicole constantly talking to herself and worried. Her older sister Shayne asked her if she would like to play dress up. She was seven years older than she, and it was strange when she offered Nicole anything. The young girl gave her a strange look and shook her head offering the ‘woman in black’ more tea.

Her brother Derrick, one year Shayne’s junior asked if she would let to go to the park and meet other children her age. Nicole shook her head and drank the empty cup with her pinky sticking out. Her father wanted to know if there was anything she wanted to do, ballet, soccer or karate. She shook her head and replies cheerfully,

“No thanks Daddy, I just want to play with Mummy.”

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Thank you all for submitting your stories!

The winners of the Short Story Writing Contest are:
Grand Prize: Moustache Attack's "Cycles"
Good Prize: Chevix's Impossibility

And to add in an extra prize for a job well done, a special prize will also be given to theramblinggirl for her story, "Tricks".

For the winners, I will be PMing you about your prizes.

For those of you who didn't win this time around, please continue to write! Also, look in your inbox soon. I will be sending you critiques on your submitted stories so you can improve for the next contest.

Thanks!
Congratz to all the winners, and all other contestants!
Thanks, thread owner, for reading and choosing. :]

Questionable Genius

12,875 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Gender Swap 100
thejade9

And to add in an extra prize for a job well done, a special prize will also be given to theramblinggirl for her story, "Tricks".

For those of you who didn't win this time around, please continue to write! Also, look in your inbox soon. I will be sending you critiques on your submitted stories so you can improve for the next contest.

Thanks!

just checked back in on this and saw that you had picked winners O__O did you send the pm's yet or not? I know i deleted a whole bunch the other day and only skimmed through the subjects but i didnt think i saw anything from you. Just wanted to make sure i didn't miss it. that would suck sweatdrop

Kawaii Kitten

Moustache Attack
Moustache Attack
"Cycles"
479 words

I was once a tree. Deeply rooted in my bad habits and strong standing in my beliefs. The seasons changed, and with them, everything around me. I was unmoved.

Until the day something caught my eye. Some kind of light. Exactly what it was, I didn't know, but it was bright and warm, and it filled me with a feeling of hope that I had never felt before. It was all I'd ever wanted, and suddenly I felt complete. I shut myself off from the world around me. I didn't need anything else, as long as I had this light. I don't know how long it was, but it was blissful. I felt nothing. Nothing but sweet fulfillment. It was like a dream.

But I awoke to flames.

I cried out for my light. There was no reply. I was scared and desperate. My light had left me. I wanted to run, to escape the flames, to chase after it, but I couldn't move. My roots were too deep. I let myself burn.

For a while I was dead. There was no sign I'd ever been there at all. But again the seasons shifted, and rain began to fall, and the fire was extinguished. The animals returned and the soil was renewed. The water seeped down, past the debris, past the pain of a tortured land, all the way down to a seed. A seed left by fruit of one of my own branches. And the seed began to grow. Once again I felt hope.

Then I was new. A sprout peaking through the ashes to find the light and air I craved. At first glance there was nothing there. Desolation. Charred remains of a once glorious life. I spent so long staring at the settling smoke and thinking about how things used to be, that I didnt notice what was happening around me.

I'm not sure what made me see it, but finally I looked at the ground surrounding me. At the fading embers and fallen ash. I saw, amidst all the black and grey, more and more small stems of green, just like me. Other dead trees, once old and strong, now fighting for a chance at rebirth. At redemption. Together we have hope.

Someday, I know, we will thrive again.

We are a population obsessed with second chances. We spend so much time longing for the past, and pleading for what we can't have, we don't notice the beauty of destruction. For with destruction comes opportunity. A chance for something better to take its place.

Life will take from us. And just when it seems we have nothing left, it will give back. All we can depend on is what we make of the times when everything seems bleak.

When the smoke clears, life will be seen again. We can only choose to look for it.

eek

Secret Kirari's Princess

Romantic Bard

22,300 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Object of Affection 150
thejade9

Thanks!

Wow! Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I will be on the lookout for that PM smile

Kawaii Kitten

you can be the sailor
BCherri28
you can be the sailor
BCherri28
you can be the sailor

Just wondering, with complete respect, is the story in the point of view of a girl or boy? x

It's actually a memoir.
So female.

Thanks, it makes it easier to picture now. It's really good by the way, you'll probably get first, if not second. x

I do suppose that for a contest it is a good thing to leave the narrator gender-less, seeing as how more people would then be able to imagine themselves in the story.
Not at all, i didn't do the memory justice. but thank you very much, i really appreciate it. I shall go read yours!
and to say it just because it needs said,
have you ever just had a memory or a story just stuck in your head and the only way to move on is to write about it?

Reading about your story just makes me want to read it, but I can't find it! Where in the plain sight did you hide it?

Kawaii Kitten

Chevix
thejade9

Thanks!

just checked back in on this and saw that you had picked winners O__O did you send the pm's yet or not? I know i deleted a whole bunch the other day and only skimmed through the subjects but i didnt think i saw anything from you. Just wanted to make sure i didn't miss it. that would suck sweatdrop

You're outfit is so co-ordinated...

*narrows eyes* -.-

If I didn't know any better, I'd think the items were DESIGNED for each other. Which is cheating.
But of course I don't know one way or the other than that its a nice avi to look at. Tips for cool avis! ^u^

Questionable Genius

12,875 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Gender Swap 100
Jacklyna
Chevix
thejade9

Thanks!

You're outfit is so co-ordinated...

*narrows eyes* -.-

If I didn't know any better, I'd think the items were DESIGNED for each other. Which is cheating.
But of course I don't know one way or the other than that its a nice avi to look at. Tips for cool avis! ^u^

lol nope as far as i know they weren't made for each other. i just have a knack at coordinating xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff