Prize: 2,000

5. Clouddrifter
Prize: 2,000

Finalists who did not place will recieve 500 gold
Esp1on
Indigo14
Mephistophelian Sociopath

This contest is for the great, yet hardly recognized beginnings
to the adventures many embark upon daily.

I have always believed prologues were among the most important chapters in a story. A prologue is meant to capture the reader’s attention, to drag them from the shelf in which they picked the book from over to the counter. A good prologue can weave a mystical spell around the mind to have them reach deep within their wallet and sacrifice a good five to ten dollars to continue the journey into the realm in which they had just glimpsed within the first thin pages of the very item they now carried from the store, garage sale, library or attic.

So whether it’s pushing aside card bored boxes in an old attic, browsing through a library, or stopping to glimpse at the newest novels on the shelf at your favorite supermarket, a prologue is where you grab the attention. The summary, the title, the genre, these all hold key values in getting a reader to pick the book up, but it is the prologue that binds you.

So tell me, do you believe you have, or can write, an astounding prologue? Can you capture a reader’s attention in a few pages or paragraphs so completely that they have no choice but to continue on to the first chapter?

If you do, maybe you should enter this contest.

The entry fee is a simple 50 gold and the entries can be up to five pages long.

The lowest prize will be 1,000 gold, the highest will depend on the amount of Entries this contest receives.

You may post a maximum of five entries but they must be paid for and you can only win a prize for one. So if you have two or three prologues and you love them all and can not decide which to use, fear not! You can submit all! Entries are limited to five so others will have a chance and the judges aren’t overwhelmed with your 20 something prologues.

Prologues do NOT have to go with an actual story. You may just write a prologue and not think anything else of the story, but if the prologue does have a story to follow into please post a link so readers may continue if they wish.

Each story will be rated from 5-10. Because nobody wants to get a one or two, it’s demeaning...

Ten {a must read}: Prologue is interesting and original, captures the readers attention quickly and efficiently with few errors. (Nobody is perfect!)

Nine {a must read}: Prologue is Interesting and original, captures readers’ attention quickly and efficiently but has several errors.

Eight {a must read}: Prologue is interesting and original, takes time to capture the reader’s attention, and has many errors.

Seven {worth reading}: Prologue is interesting not very original but has an imaginative twist, takes time to capture reader’s attention and has many errors.

Six {worth reading}: Prologue is slightly interesting, not very original, takes time to capture readers’ attention, and has many errors.

Five {worth reading}: Prologue is not very interesting, slightly original, takes time to capture the readers’ attention, and has many errors.

Zero {a waste of time}: Entry is poorly written, have many mistakes, and author had no really passion to write. Entries possess slang, l33t, and an abundance of misplaced/missing punctuation. Includes block text, joke entries, ect. These will be automatically disqualified.

8,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Judges

JenKum
silent_sara
Penelopiad
Mrs. Jade Puget
silver_moon_beam
Mary-Loves-Llamas

8,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I am pleased to say that no one got below a seven in the averaging!

Very well done works and absolutely wonderful writing, sure some could have used a bit more work but no one is perfect.

Here are the finalists who will have their work reanalyzed. If you are not in the finals and would like to see your average score PM me and I’ll send it to you. You will not, however, receive the personal votes unless you ask the judges themselves. All finalists got an avarage of nine.

Finalists:
Telai
Esp1on
Indigo14
Clouddrifter
Alexial Rose
Sacred Seraph
Salvatore-Shan
Mephistophelian Sociopath

Participants:

1. Telali heart
2. Esp1on heart
3. Kitheyn heart
4. Tia_blue heart
5. Indigo14 heart
6. Preathea sweatdrop
7. vintagekid heart
8. Clouddrifter heart
9. Alexial Rose heart
10. Nekura-chan heart
11. LadyMichelle heart
12. Rain_Star15 sweatdrop
13. triplenegative heart
14. soccerplum29 heart
15. N-finiteFangirl heart
16. Sacred Seraph heart
17. salvatore-shan heart
18. Scribbling Scribe heart
19. +Vanir Wolfe+ heart heart
20. Imaginary Illusion heart
21. Angel Fire Alchemist heart
22. Give Them Cabbages heart
23. [she_said]__IxHatExYoUx heart
24. Mephistophelian Sociopath heart

Entry recieved= heart
Entry not submited= sweatdrop
Hi I'll participate!
this contest sucks, domokun

8,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
funkylizard

The suction ability of my contest is not in question here... *shifty eyes* Who are you to be making these accusations?! Are you from the suction police? I swear I paid those fines! I demand to see some form of identification! rofl
do you want us to post our stories here? Also let me know when you receive the gold.

8,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Alexial Rose
do you want us to post our stories here? Also let me know when you receive the gold.

Yes, the entry should be posted here.
This looks interesting, but I have a question about the ratings. Nine and under all supposedly contain 'many errors'. Does this mean that as long as I use perfect spelling and grammar, I'll get a ten no matter how terrible my entry is otherwise? I certainly hope not. mrgreen

8,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Iamanna
This looks interesting, but I have a question about the ratings. Nine and under all supposedly contain 'many errors'. Does this mean that as long as I use perfect spelling and grammar, I'll get a ten no matter how terrible my entry is otherwise? I certainly hope not. mrgreen

No, actually the errors part is optional, but I didn’t want anybody to know that except the judges (damn) to encourage good grammar and spelling.

Aged Seeker

10,450 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
silent_sara
funkylizard

The suction ability of my contest is not in question here... *shifty eyes* Who are you to be making these accusations?! Are you from the suction police? I swear I paid those fines! I demand to see some form of identification! rofl

Okay, this made me almost youknowwhat my pants! You are too funny!

This is a great contest, by the way, and one I have not seen done before. Well-writeen, and a great idea. So. Very. True! Prologues are tres impotante!

Smooth sailing, gentle winds.
Here's to the night.

8,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Mahayr
silent_sara
funkylizard

Okay, this made me almost youknowwhat my pants! You are too funny!

This is a great contest, by the way, and one I have not seen done before. Well-writeen, and a great idea. So. Very. True! Prologues are tres impotante!

Smooth sailing, gentle winds.
Here's to the night.

Thankyou. redface

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out