Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sheep Vs. Snails

Sheep 0.67123287671233 67.1% [ 147 ]
Snails 0.32876712328767 32.9% [ 72 ]
Total Votes:[ 219 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 28 29 > >>

All the important things you want to might want to take into consideration before you read on to what this contest is:

1. There is a fee. It will be 200g for the beginning stage.
2. There are also deadlines. The deadline for the first level is the 20th of June. The deadline for the second level is July 1st. And the third - July 20th.
3. You read #2 right � there are levels. The first level is due June 20th � all of the entrants will have to pay the initial 200g. Half of the contestants will pass on to the next round, and will have to cough up an additional 50g in order to stay in the contest, and will receive a different topic to write a paragraph about. This will go on and on until we finally get to a point where we have to judge the final three, and decide on third place, second place, and first place. Just like in those reality shows, except that people aren't eliminated one by one. (This means that the ending time of the contest is unknown, and depends on the amount of entrants.)
4. This isn�t a fantasy or science fiction contest. This is real life.
5. I will not be the only judge. If anyone is interested in judging, please PM me. - I need the judges.
6. Prizes � winner gets 70% of the pot. Second place gets 20%, and third place wins 10%.
7. Donations all go to the pot, if the trade is titled to the competition. I don�t take donations meant to go to the prize.

These are my terms. If you're interesting and interested, welcome to my contest. Please read on =]
The first stage challenge:

Write your paragraph about yourself.

Tips (I will be giving tips, things that I know will impress me and hopefully the rest of the judges as well, for all stages. I think most of these would be pretty obvious for some of the writers) for the first round:
1. Make it interesting. I don�t care if you�re the dullest person in the world, really I don�t. I don�t judge you based on your character and how much I�d like you, I judge based on how interesting it was.
2. Make a point about yourself. Have a meaning behind writing the paragraph other than �it was for the contest�.

Oh, and by the way - I don't know you. I'm not planning to check up on your profiles or whatever to make sure you're really what you wrote about. Still, it's important to me that you write about yourself, and not about someone else just because you don't think you're interesting or anything like that. So I just have to trust you on that one. Ahh, you've got to love blind trust.

That�s it for now. Make it good!

The second stage challenge:

. I want you to go out there and read a newspaper, choose one of the LATEST EVENTS (don’t write about something you read in the culture or literature section of the newspaper), and present it to us (who quite possibly never heard of what’s happening) in a way that is:
1. Interesting to read. I don’t want to be bored to tears.
2. Shows your own, personal opinion.
3. Sums it up to what it’s worth.

This one, in my opinion, really takes some originality to win. Deadline’s going to be in exactly one week from now – July 1st.

The third stage challenge:

This time, I want you to take something that you like - a song, a book, a movie, a certain type of computer screen, anything that you absoulutely love - and advertise it to us.

Things I want to see (last time I have to say I was disappointed; there were few who actually brought a current event, but I decided not to really take points off):

1. Make me laugh.
2. Make me fall in love with what you advertise.

Deadline: July 20th
Judges are the following:
Killer-Lawn-Gnomes
The Amazing Tampon Man
Mahayr
DivineWinds
And of course, myself.

Please keep in mind that the final word will be mine - but I need the opinion of others so that in the end, things won't be based on my liking only.

And the contestants per round one:
1. ~Ms. Brutally Honest = paid, not posted
2. Respire - Arctic End = paid, posted
3. Professor Skeleton = paid, not posted
4. little_devil666 = paid, posted
5. Fitzgerald Bongonuim III = paid, posted
6. Oterys = paid, posted
7. thewoodsrwaiting = paid, posted
8. 17 Oclock News = paid, posted
9. Darknesspirals = paid, posted
10. Kikurukina = paid, posted
11. Sakimei = paid, posted
12. JDawg16 = paid, posted
13. AstraKiseki = paid, posted
14. CombatArtist = paid, posted
15. Smartie of the Soul = paid, posted
16. fairie2002 = paid, not posted
17. [ Andy ] = paid, posted
18. cursed_to_the_bone_15 = not paid, posted
19. GaleSkies = paid, posted
20. leedragon = paid, posted
21. Mahayr = paid, posted
22. GinTsuki = paid, posted
23. StuffLor! = paid, posted
24. Swimmer_San = paid, posted
25. Dollanganger = paid, posted
26. Lady Lottie = paid, posted
27. Yummi4tunekookie = paid, not posted
28. Amadyll = paid, posted
29. [ paradox.y ] = paid, posted
30. Ellyrianna = paid, posted
31. Tsamikayu = paid, posted
32. muless = paid, posted

And the contestants per round two:

1. CombatArtist = posted!
2. 17 Oclock News = paid & posted!
3. JDawg16 = paid & posted!
4. thewoodsrwaiting = paid & posted!
5. Sakimei
6. AstraKiseki = paid & posted!
7. [ Andy ]
8. Darknesspirals = paid & posted!
9. GinTsuki = paid & posted!
10. [ paradox.y ] = paid & posted!
11. Smartie of the Soul
12. Kikurukina = paid & posted!
13. Tsamikayu = paid & posted!

La contestants per final round:

1. 17 Oclock News
2. JDawg16 = paid & posted!
3. thewoodsrwaiting = paid & posted!
4. Darknesspirals = paid & posted!
5. GinTsuki = paid & posted!

Pot So Far

5000 of that is a grant from WW&CCF! <3 <3 <3

We had four contestants for the final round. I'm very sorry to say, but I could not accept two of them as possible takers for third place, as they did not fit the criteria.

The winner, taking 80% of the pot instead of only 70% as for lack of third place - making 9,480 gold in total, will be Darknesspirals. Congratulations ^^

The second place, taking 2,370 gold in total with the remaining 20% of the pot, will be JDawg16. Congratulations to you as well ^^

As for me - I don't think I'll ever run a continuing competition again. I was dissapointed by contestants who didn't enter, I was dissapointed by judges who didn't judge, and most of all - I was dissapointed by myself for not being able to make it work better. This competition was a success, and I'm very proud of it for being so... but still, I think that towards the end, it was getting on everyones nerves.

Now I'm off to dissappear into the depths of myself; It'll probably be a few good weeks until I'm back.

It was a pretty close call between Darknesspirals and JDawg, in my opinion at least. I liked both of your styles from the very beginning, and somehow, it seemed pretty obvious that the call for first would be either one of you. Congratulations to both of you
3nodding
Let the games begin!
Reserved eek

Just because I like breaking my own rules ^.~
VERY cool idea. I'll subscribe to the thread and join if I can get everything written up.
UnderwearBandit
VERY cool idea. I'll subscribe to the thread and join if I can get everything written up.

Thank you ^^
You know, I just came from another thread of yours.

But, honestly, I don't know about this idea.

There are definitely other good writers and it all depends on different people.

Different people have different tastes, so, it's hard to say which is great.
Respire - Arctic End

I mean, really, don't get me wrong or anything.

I'm a good writer, as some of my closest friends have told me.

Whereas, some other people have said that it was great, or too emotional.
Or something of that line of duty.
And, really, I don't know. Stuff like that is pretty well-kept.
But, I'm not here to create problems.

So, I'll just say goodluck and have fun. May the best writer win.
Respire - Arctic End
Respire - Arctic End

And this would probably be why there will, more likely than not, be more than one judge.
I personally think that this is an awesome idea and plan to join...Very, very soon.
Respire - Arctic End
Respire - Arctic End

That is exactly the reason I'm asking for more people other than myself to judge this contest. So it would not only be based on one persons opinion, but from the decision that came up from several.

Really, the same goes for any contest you get yourself into. You might be good but not win, because your entry wasn't looked at right. But if you put in something good which you have faith could win - that's all there is to that.

Besides, in a contest there is the promise of having your piece looked at seriously and judged, and sometimes get critique if you ask for it. When you just post it out there there's no promise anybody's going to look at it.

What is there to lose? A person's opinion? A few points on a pixelated counter? I know I find these contests a lot of fun, and I've been wanting to do a unique one for a while. I think most of the contestants in this contest will be challenged, and have fun. And maybe win a prize - what is there to lose?

*edit: And you aren't causing any trouble at all, really. smile
~Ms. Brutally Honest

I personally think that this is an awesome idea and plan to join...Very, very soon.

Great! I'll be awaiting your entry then ^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces