< 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 40 41 42 > >>

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Username: Psychotic Maniacal Sanity
Round: 1.
Prompt(s) used: Song: "The Worm and The Bird".
Title of Entry: Hide and Seek.
Word count of entry: 2,675
URL of post: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/writing-contests/the-twist-in-you-open-december-28th-100k-in-prizes/t.35505645_76/#76

Hide and Seek

Helpless.

There’s no way out.

I don’t know where to go next. I feel trapped, lonely, and my head is spinning. What do I do?

It was dark inside the closet, dark and stiflingly hot. Heather Chambers lifted her head from her arms, feeling her back ache as she tried to stretch the muscles and pull her legs out from underneath her chest. She didn’t know how long she had been inside, but it felt like too long- years maybe? No, not years. It was getting darker, that much she was sure of, and hotter since Daddy had turned up the heating. He was trying to find her; he was always trying to find her; he was always drunk, and she was always lost. She liked being lost. She didn’t like him being drunk, but what did that matter? She’d learned long ago that you can’t change your life. That was impossible.

Little pinpricks of light fell across her face, blindingly bright compared to the pitch darkness of before. Heather started, her chest tightening. Somebody had turned on the light. The bedside light. One part of her wanted to see who had done it, find out if it was anybody other than Daddy, but the other part, the part that always cried when Daddy slapped her, told her that there was only Daddy in the house: nobody else could have done it. She listened in silence, holding her breath and widening her eyes as though she could let the sound in through the whites of her eyeballs too, but she could hear nothing. There was no sound; no birds, no children outside, no padding footsteps on the stairs. Silence. A creeping secretive wave of cold, hard silence that wrapped itself around her body, and during that moment, Heather thought she could have heard a pin drop, if only she had one to drop.

“Heather?” a quite whisper broke the silence- a gruff, incoherent slurring of her name whipping across the room like a bird in flight. She winced, taking a sharp breath in fear, and hid her face in her arms again. Her whole body convulsed in terror; once, twice, three times, and then was still apart from her steady, deep breaths.

“Heather sweetie? Where are you?” the slurred voice called again, this time a little louder. It sounded like it was coming from outside the room- how had the light turned on? Had he walked out? Was she safe?

“Heather, I’m counting to ten, and if I can’t find you I’ll get angry.” The voice, though calm was dead-pan, drunken, without feeling. There was no anger in his voice yet, and there was no love. Heather hated that voice the worst of all, even more than the angry one, because it meant that he didn’t care.

“Heather; once more!” the voice raised a little, and the quiet that it left in its wake was painful and crackling with unspoken words and energy. Heather didn’t dare raise her head, glad for her dark colouring as her hair covered her face in a security blanket of hope. Hope that this time he wouldn’t find her; this time there would be no punishment. She waited with baited breath, waited for the doors to swing open and Daddy to haul her out in a fit of rage, but all she heard was the soft padding of heavy feet on the stairs, and a voice that was wavering further and further away. She counted to ten.

“One, two, three...” she whispered to herself, careless now that he had gone, only caring that she didn’t begin to cry. “Six, seven eight.” She stopped, feeling calm, and opened her eyes. The darkness had fallen again, with a click of a lamp, and she realise what had caused the light in the first place- she was sitting on the switch. She cursed herself for such stupidity and pulled the switch out from underneath her skirt, wrestling so it was as far away from her as she dared take it without moving. “Nine, ten.” Now she was calm. She pulled her legs back underneath her; so they were crossed, and she leaned back against the wall with a little sigh. She felt tired.

How long had it been since she had breathed cool air? Her head was spinning with the claustrophobia that was beginning to develop in her mind, and her nose was beginning to grow sore from the amount of times she had wiped it on the sleeve of her sweater. She wanted to cry, felt the prickling of salty tears behind her eyelids, but she knew that she couldn’t permit herself to indulge in her emotions. If she cried he would find her.

It had been two hours; and the summer day was only just beginning to grow old. The golden sunlight outside streamed into the room, but didn’t fall across the closet, not behind the coat rail and the pinafores that had once belonged to Heather's mother. Inside it was pitch dark, and all she could make out were her hands in front of her face, a slightly lighter shade of black than that all of the rest.

Heather, knowing full well that she couldn’t stay in the closet forever, counted to ten again.

“One, two, three,” she whispered again, ticking the numbers off on her fingers. “Please don’t let him find me.” Then she waited. Nothing. “Four, five, six, counting as the clock ticks.” Again, nothing. “Seven, eight, nine, oh please Daddy, Daddy mine.” Silence. “Ten. Ben stop it you’re hurting her!” Heather’s tears began to well on her cheeks, dripping onto her pale skin and dancing around the freckles like ballerinas on ice.

Oh please, Ben! Please! It sounded real enough in her head; she had heard it enough times. The voice was haunting, without a face or a body to remember, but the voice... That voice. It was so soft, so gentle, raised to such a pitch was unnatural. Heather wanted to cover her ears, wanted to sob to herself silently and cry out that it was all right. She was a big girl, she could handle it.

“Stop it,” she said to herself, a little more loudly. “Stop that Ben, stop that Heather.” The voice she spoke in was not her own, deeper than her own squeaking little sound. There wasn’t any comfort in the interpretation from those years ago, no comfort to be found anywhere these days.

After her speech there was silence, and then she came to a conclusion: Daddy was gone, at least for now. And then, as if she had predicted the future, she heard a quiet bang from downstairs- the slamming of a door perhaps? Heather nodded her head to herself, making a silent agreement with the bolder part of her mind that screamed to see the daylight. She would step outside and see if it was safe. She couldn’t hide forever, and he couldn’t count for any longer.

“More beers please,” she mumbled to herself in conclusion. “Shut up and turn on the television.”

Unsteadily she climbed to her feet, staggering a little as her head hit the heavy lining of an old winter coat. She took two deep breaths. In. Out. In. Out. And then, reaching her hand out cautiously, she pushed at the door. It moved a little, and she jumped back in fear, hiding behind the thick winter coat on her left, and then, peering around the side to make sure it was safe, she repeated this action.

“Good morning sunshine,” she whispered happily. The door opened a little further and she poked her head out slowly. With her eyes adjusting to the bright light coming in through the window, she gave the room a sweeping glance, cool grey eyes taking in ever surface and every object in the room. The bed had been sat on, and the lamp had moved closer to the edge of the beside table, but other than that everything looked as it should.

Satisfied that everything was fine she stepped from her safe-haven, treading lightly on the carpet in her dirty white socks. They hadn’t been washed in a few days; Daddy had forgot to turn the washer on, and he never checked her clothes. She dressed herself. The skirt she wore was pleated and too big for her, gaping slightly at the waist as if dismayed at the weight she had lost from lack of interest, and was made of a light purple cloth that had once been soft to the touch, and was now faded and threadbare. Heather knew her Daddy wasn’t a bad man, not like the other men she had heard The News talking about. Daddy loved her, and Daddy looked after her; at least he did most of the time. All parents are allowed days off, right? And besides, Heather knew that their relationship was something special: Daddy was sad, and so he was allowed to be upset with her too.

“Go fetch the flashlight,” she said to herself, straightening up her pink sweater, hardly caring that the end was crusted form the wiping of her nose, and she sniffed lightly. The room smelt like beer, and some kind of cologne that Daddy was wearing. That smelt nice.

“I don’t want to play any more Ben,” she told her invisible father, shaking her head. “I’m bored of hiding, I’m scared. Can we do something else please?” When nobody answered she walked out of the room, tiptoeing across the hallway and down the stairs. “Can we play something else Daddy?” She wandered into the living room. Daddy had left some empty cans on the floor, and the television remote was still sat on the top of the big black box from when she had been watching it this morning. A picture flickered on the screen, but there was no sound.

“Oh yes. More beer.”

She wandered around the house for a little longer, trailing her fingers over different surfaces in turn and then tapping her finger lightly on the piano- she gave up on that quickly though, since the sound it made was awful, out of tune, and loud in the silence of the house now that Daddy had left. She half hoped that he would come home while she was still out of her hiding place, and that he would suggest they play another game. She was tired, and she wanted to sleep; the crying that she had done since Mummy had gone was beginning to take its toll on the way she behaved. She couldn’t think straight, feeling no need to speak properly since nobody was listening. She hadn’t seen anybody but Daddy in two months, she thought, and that was a very long time.

“I don’t want to cry no more,” she told herself suddenly, her voice harsh and strangely cheerful as she stood in the wan, yellow sunlight and twirled in circles before the mirror in her Daddy’s bedroom, the room she had come from to start with. Daddy wasn’t home yet, and it was boring. She was getting cold, and she wanted to sleep, but she couldn’t sleep without a story. Daddy had to finish the story he was telling her, about Romeo and Julia, or something like that. She liked Romeo, he sounded nice, like her Daddy when there was no beer. Julia sounded like her Mummy, and she wanted to find out if they got married; she thought they would. Grown ups always got married, it was like the law.

“Heather!” The door slammed and Heather jumped an inch from the floor, her heart leaping. Quick, hide! She scuttled across the room and was about to slide herself under the bed when she heard Daddy’s feet on the stairs. Thump. Thump. Thump. It was as reassuring as it was frightening; at least he had come back.

“Come out, come out, wherever you are!” Daddy taunted, his words not as slurred and his voice not as harsh. No beer? “I’ll find you Little Heather, I’ll find you.” She held her breath and slid back against the bed, between there and the closet, hoping that the shielding of the bed so close to her would be enough. There was no time to hide underneath the bed. Half of her mind hoped that Daddy would find her still, even though she knew she would get told off for letting the game last so long- she’d probably get a slap- but half of her wanted to hide away and not let him find her. It was quiet when he wasn’t there, but at least he couldn’t hurt her. Daddy was sad. Daddy needed help.

“Oh Heather,” he called, lowering his voice to a sing-song. Heather closed her eyes, scrunched them up as tight as they would go, and held herself as still as she possible could. The footsteps grew louder, and louder, louder. And they stopped. She heard breathing- heavy breathing- and she knew he was in the room. She wrapped herself up into a little ball and counted in her head. They counted in unison.

“One, two, three.” Hide-and-go-seek. “Four, five, six, seven.” Heather bit her lip and felt her fingers respond to the steady counting. “Eight... Nine...” This was where Daddy slowed down, and Heather stopped breathing. “Ten.” The bedside lamp fell to the floor with a crash as Daddy crossed the room, and Heather cried out in pure unadulterated terror.

“Hide and Seek!” Daddy yelled, pulling her out from behind the bed, lifting her from the floor by her arm. She felt something twinge, and cried out again.

“Daddy! Daddy!” she shouted. “Daddy you found me! Let me go now!”

“No Heather,” Daddy growled, putting her down on the floor but still holding onto her wrist so tightly she felt her fingers go limp. “You’ve been a very naughty girl.” She opened her eyes, felt her bottom lip tremble, and looked directly into his storm-cloud angry eyes. “Hide and Seek Heather,” Daddy said menacingly. “Hide and Seek, not Lost and Found.” Heather shook her head in terror, not understanding the difference.

“I’m sorry Daddy, I’m sorry.” She began to cry, little tears that rolled onto her cheeks and seemed only to add coal to the fire that was burning in her Daddy’s chest.

“Be quiet!” he howled, holding his head with one hand. “Have you no respect?” You’ve got another hangover Ben; don’t hit Heather like that. He lifted his hand up to her face and brought it down hard across her cheek, marking the pale skin with a growing red welt.

“Sorry, sorry,” Heather murmured, trying to contain her tears. “Sorry, I’m sorry.”

“You didn’t let me find you,” growled Daddy, a little calmer but still inexplicably angry. What has she done? What has she done wrong? No more beer Ben, no more Hide and Seek. It’s just a game. A violent game.

“I’m sorry-”

“I counted to one hundred.” He sounded childish, petulant almost and Heather wanted to just curl up and die. Her face was burning with what she felt must have been the force of a thousand suns, and her tooth had cut into her lip. The taste of iron-tinted blood trickled onto her tongue and she grimaced. Daddy raised his hand again.

“I’m sorry!”

“No!” he growled again, her face contorted in anger, fueled by alcohol and little sleep. “I’ll count again,” he let go of Heather’s arm and she dropped to the floor, crawling away from him steadily as he began to count. “One, two, three.” He walked out into the corridor and stood by the door. “Four, five, six, seven.” Heather scuttled away faster, dragging her knees over the carpet in a desperate fashion until she reached the closet. “Eight... Nine...” Daddy took a deep breath and Heather dived into the closet holding back her whimpers of pain and confusion. “Ten.” Daddy tapped the doorframe once, twice, three times, and then stopped. There was silence.

Hide and Seek.” Heather closed her eyes.

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Not for the frail of heart,
The vengeful must play their part...

Wooh. Done. There we go.
Bed now.
xx

...A friend to the bitter end.
Or so they say.

And she said that we've got that spark, that only lights a fuse,
Helps you see in the dark, but it's a sight you'll lose when...

That's a really good story, Psychotic.

I almost cried! D':

...the temptation greets you like your naughty friend.
Oh, I think I might like to join this. I like the song^^.

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

@Itazu: You think? surprised
Thanks. I'm glad you found it emotional-- I did sweatdrop

Or so they say.

Username: Rino-chan
Round: One
Prompt(s) used: Song: "The Bird and the Worm"
Title of Entry: A Predator's Fallacy
Word count of entry: 4571 Words
URL of post: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/writing-contests/the-twist-in-you-open-december-28th-100k-in-prizes/t.35505645_81/#81
A Predator's Fallacy

Thud.

One did not need to listen hard to hear the sudden sound in the darkness of the night, as if someone had thrown a log onto the damp sand of the shores. However, one would need to strain their ears to hear the sounds which came after that; long, jagged breaths, hiccupped sobs, and a half-strangled cry which seems to be choking a child. Everything else was still, and there was no indication that anyone was there. The half-moon shone weakly, barely illuminating the beach floors and that was all too convenient for the runaway Kenny Rise.

He spat the salty sand from his mouth and coughed, wiping his mouth using the sleeve of his blue shirt, making sure that his eyes didn’t stray to look at his skin. It was dark anyway. And he needed to run, despite his inability to breathe properly. Kenny tried to stand, but his legs gave way and he fell onto the sand again, shivering – not from the cold, but fear.

Fear he had never experienced before.

Kenny wanted to shout out, but he couldn’t. He needed to get away and live, or find someone – anyone – who might believe his story and help him. But even for six-year-old Kenny, he knew that it was impossible. A doctor? A policeman? Who would believe him? He would need to show what he was first, what he had become, but to do so… he would need to go to another place like that again.

He couldn’t…

And slowly… he was losing consciousness.

“No… I need to run… Come on, Kenny, get up…” He gasped to himself. The sand he had accidentally swallowed earlier was burning his throat, and he knew he was in danger. He would embrace death there and then, but he knew he shouldn’t. How could he die when he was already dying? No need to speed up the process… he needed to tell someone. Anyone. He just wanted to do that and get over it.

“Hey! Hey, look there!” A distant voice, calling out. Kenny’s eyes closed slowly. He mustn’t do this. He needed to get out of there…

“What?!”

“A child! I see a child there! Come on, we need to get him to somewhere warm. It’s freezing over here. He couldn’t be more than seven years old.” The voice came nearer. A hand was placed on Kenny’s shoulder and he shuddered. “It’s alright, boy, we’ll get you somewhere safe.” The man said, lifting Kenny up. The embrace was so new, so comforting that Kenny shuddered again. He couldn’t… he needed to run. “Hey? Are you alright? What happened? What’s your name?”

“Kenny… Kenny Rise…”

And then he was lost as darkness enveloped him.

“Rise! Get ready and come down here!”

Kenny opened his eyes and yawned, rolling over to his back. He massaged his head and crossed his arms under his head, smiling to himself; just another Saturday to enjoy with his step-brother, Michael. Michael was actually more of a father than a brother, but he had always complained about how he could still get the ladies and how old a father sounded like, so Kenny addressed him like a brother instead. Not that Kenny would complain either way – father, brother… Michael was still Michael, and Kenny knew him as that and only that.

As he rose to get ready, Kenny turned on the radio and stepped into the showers, imagining himself back when he was young. He always thought that his history was fascinating, and the girls always loved it when he talked about himself, but in truth, Kenny was interested. Who was he before the incident at the beach?

My name is Kenny. Kenny Rise. When I was six, I was found shivering on the seashore of a beach, barely conscious and on the brink of death. With a friend, Michael found me and took me to the hospital where I had to undergo a series of traumatic tests and rest. Michael always wondered why it was traumatic for a six-year-old boy. It wasn’t as if I had to go through anything major – just a few checks and some injections. But I was told that I tried to run away and that the doctors made me scream. They were forced to wear plain clothes for my sake.

Afterwards, Michael decided to care for me. He was only twenty, but he decided that caring for me wouldn’t hurt. I’ve been living here since then. Nine years had passed, but I couldn’t remember anything about myself before that happened. According to Michael, before I passed out in his arms, the only thing I said was my name. And that was my only clue to know who I am.

Lately, I’ve been trying to find out. I’ve been wandering everywhere, asking around for those who might know a family under the surname of ‘Rise’. I even tried to search the internet, but nothing came up. Michael often joked that it was as if I popped up from nowhere, but I couldn’t help but believe that out there… I once belonged. I had a father, and a mother. Maybe siblings. Grandparents, great-grandparents… everyone must have them. And yet, where’s mine? Why was I lying half-conscious at the beach in the middle of the night? For a six-year-old, surely… surely, my carer would have noticed me gone.

Kenny dressed quickly, knowing that Michael would be waiting downstairs with breakfast. Leaving the radio on, he brushed a hand across his dirty blonde hair and closed the bedroom door behind him. Seeing that it’s Saturday, he wouldn’t need to bother making himself look presentable. Nobody would dare come and visit Kenny Rise – not around there anyway. Kenny descended the steps and once he reached the landing, he turned right and walked straight into the kitchen where, surely enough, Michael was there wearing an apron, flipping over the last pancake. He gestured Kenny to sit down and he did so – an old agenda, more like a ritual performed every single day. Kenny poured a cup of coffee and sipped it carefully, nodding his thanks as Michael placed his plate in front of him. The older of the two then pulled his chair back and gazed into Kenny’s eyes, a bored look on his face.

“Your editor called in this morning. Any progress with the novel you’re writing?” He asked. Michael hated the fact that he now shared the same editor with his young companion. It was better when he had Liz to himself even though Kenny had pointed out numerous times before that Liz was already married with a child on the way.

Kenny nodded. “I’m about to finish off the major parts to the plot, so it’s all coming down nicely. Minus proof-reading, I should get it completed by next Saturday, at least.” He answered as he began to eat his breakfast.

“That’s good. I’ll give Liz a ring and tell her about your progress later. You know, I won’t be surprised if a company decides to make a film out of it. Whoever has heard of a five-year-old child who had to undergo experiments and then mutated into some sort of hybrid? I wonder where you got the idea from.” Michael grinned.

“Who knows? It’s just a story.” Kenny answered.

“I doubt it, Kenny. You said you got it from a vivid dream.”

“And your point is?” Kenny raised an eyebrow. “Great authors find inspiration everywhere. It’s better than your story of a demented scientist who found himself needing to save the time of the cowboys.” He laughed, winking slightly. His stepbrother rolled his eyes and leaned forward. Kenny immediately sensed something amiss. His laugh died down and his blue eyes gazed into Michael’s black orbs.

“Listen, Kenny. Your story might tell us more than you think. I mean… we’re talking about a five-year-old as a main character here. And you never knew who you were before you met me. Could it be possible that this is based off from something your sub-conscious is trying to tell you? Maybe it’s something from your past.”

“Michael.” Kenny’s eyes narrowed. “We’re authors. You should know which is fiction and which is reality. It might be, but it might not be as well – but what’s the significance of it? If it came from my past, so what? My life is here, now.” He said, finishing off his breakfast.

Michael nodded and leaned back, obviously disappointed. “Well, you’re probably right. If some sort of mutation happened to you, surely we’d notice. It’s a good story though… If you manipulate your book, making it seem as though everything there was some sort of dream or figment of past from something greater –”

“Please! That sounds so clichéd. I’m not that bothered, you know. I just want this story written – it’s torturing me to do so.” Kenny answered. He stood up and ran a hand through his uncombed hair again. “I’m going to my room. See you.” He waved.

Michael sighed. “I wonder why it’s torture if it’s not true.”

Once he was back in his room, Kenny stepped to his desk and switched on his computer before moving aside to look at himself in the mirror. He frowned at his messy fringe and grabbed the nearby comb, running it through the long strands of hair carelessly. As he did so, the radio buzzed the latest news which Kenny didn’t bother concentrating on. All he managed to listen was that a laboratory blew up from somewhere, killing everyone from it. And that from the documents, they suspected one runaway, yet there wasn’t much information on the missing person – not for a few long years, at least.

Kenny sat down and opened the word document of his novel, running his eyes through the last few sentences he had written down last night. He raised his eyebrows slightly and pursed his lips, deciding to put on some music before he started to write again. The radio was left untouched and he started to type absently, not exactly paying attention – he would do that when he re-read the manuscript later.

The story was about a five-year-old boy who, since he could remember, had always been in a laboratory where he had to endure countless injections and exams from the lab workers. It was all done in secret and the lab started to create different things from the tested humans – artificially-made hybrids. The boy had to endure watching his parents, his brothers and his sisters changed into unnatural beings – he had to hear his parents begging for his safety, his sisters screaming in pain but mostly fright, his brothers tested helplessly – changed, modified… like a doll that needed a haircut from a very young child. Until one day, when it was his turn, his parents managed to kill off one of the professors with the being inside them. It suddenly became chaotic in the lab, and the boy managed to run away while his siblings and parents fought for his life.

What those professors created had killed one of them.

And even after the escape, the boy didn’t know another secret kept from him – that they had tried something newer with him, something that, unknowingly, had gone very, very wrong.

As Kenny continued to write the escape scene, he reminded himself to glance over his notes for the plot afterwards. The scenes, emotions and characteristics flowed out through his fingers to the keyboard and he wondered if authors had simple lives. Writing wasn’t all that hard. The story just flowed out of him, as if he had lived it before – he knew what to write without even needing to think about it. As if someone was controlling him from the inside. It felt brilliant and mysterious at the same time. Always, Kenny had thought that writers would face stress, writer’s block, characteristic problems, facts to research… and yet, for Kenny, it came out naturally that it felt amazing.

As he typed, the radio switched to the news again, though the volume from Kenny’s computer speakers went over it for him to listen properly:

The missing child, Kenny Rise, is now being searched for by the police. There’s suspicion that he might be involved, as noted judging from the bodies of the experiments done in the laboratory. Kenny Rise was last seen nine years ago, with blonde hair and dark blue eyes. He has a small figure and crooked teeth as well as a thin scar on the finger of his right hand. There is a possibility that Kenny is dead, but the police are content to keep on searching. If you think that you might have seen Kenny, either now or since the last nine years, please call us on…

A yawn escaped Kenny’s lips and he breathed out slowly, continuing to type up the story. At times, what he wrote scared him – like the feeling of déjà vu and he even considered what Michael had said about the story being connected to his past, but what were the chances of that ever happening? A child being experimented on? Hybrids created by micro-organisms injected into the body, twisting the insides, creating something else in it? It would be good for a fictional story, but for a real life story, it seems to be too much.

Vaguely, Kenny remembered something his friend had told him: Something about people believing too much in books – particularly the ones that were written about reality issues. Kenny couldn’t even argue. It was true that readers sometimes took what they read for granted – like the feelings of someone who was caught in a particular situation, or what might happen should they try something else. But life wasn’t like books – it’s not all happy endings and understanding problems. One would need to dig deeper, into the depths of a person when in real life. Not everyone could understand, or believe.

Not everyone acted the same.

I didn’t stop running until I tripped over my own feet, landing on the sharp grass from the football field. The green blades slashed my arms, but I didn’t care. Mom, Dad… they’re all gone. I had nobody. And in me, I could feel something – I knew they had done something to me like they had with my family, but who would believe me? The only way would be to cut me up and see inside me, but what if they can’t close it again? Who could trust this? A policeman won’t… a fireman won’t… Those people – they aren’t creative. This is beyond them, like what Professor Ash said. Nobody would believe me if I tell them… They’ll say I’m imagining, or pretending.

If one person would believe me, a writer would. They imagine, they see – they might believe.

Kenny hit the ‘Save’ button and smiled to himself. Now that the escape part was completed, he could have more fun with the major plot. Kenny glanced at the clock beside the radio and breathed – he still had a lot of time left to him. Pushing his chair back, Kenny stood up and exited his room to grab a drink from the kitchen, almost colliding with Michael as he did so. Looking up to his stepbrother with raised eyebrows, Kenny noticed that for once, Michael’s face was grave.

“In your room. Now. Close everything.” He said sternly.

Without replying, though still confused, Kenny turned and walked back into his room where he switched the monitor of his computer off as well as the speakers. He unplugged the radio and sat on his bed while Michael grabbed his computer chair, turning to look at Kenny with searching eyes.

“What? What did I do?” Kenny asked after a brief silence between them.

“You did nothing. That’s the problem. Kenny, you did nothing.” Michael said angrily. “Who are you, Kenny Rise? And this story… what’s it all about. Tell me everything.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Kenny answered, startled.

“For God’s sake, Kenny, be truthful! Have I not proven to you that I could be trusted?!” He shouted. It seemed as though Michael was trying hard not to jump out from his chair.

“Trusted with what? Where’s all this coming from?”

Instead of answering, Michael stood up and switched on the monitor of the computer. Wordlessly, he closed the music playing and went on to YouTube where he then typed in Kenny’s name. In a matter of seconds, the screen was up and Michael switched the speakers on, not bothering to tune down the volume. The screen showed a newsreader standing a fair distance off from a destroyed building, identified to be a laboratory. She spoke clearly;

“The missing child, Kenny Rise, is now being searched for by the police. There’s suspicion that he might be involved, as noted judging from the bodies of the experiments done in the laboratory. Kenny Rise was last seen nine years ago, with blonde hair and dark blue eyes. He has a small figure and crooked teeth as well as a thin scar on the finger of his right hand. There is a possibility that Kenny is dead, but the police are content to keep on searching. If you think that you might have seen Kenny, either now or since the last nine years, please call us on the number you see on the screen now. On to you now, Andrew, with more details about Kenny Rise…”

Switching the monitor and speakers off again, Michael turned to face Kenny. “Well?” He asked.

Kenny was speechless. It couldn’t be. There must be some sort of coincidence – his story wasn’t connected to anything. It wasn’t possible. But then again… his imagination was too vivid. Like a living nightmare, haunting him to write it down.

Or to tell someone about it.

The cold realisation of what had happened gripped his heart and Kenny’s eyes widened in surprise. It all made sense. Even what he had written down and what Michael had said before… it all clicked together. His words for his main character; “Who could trust this? A policeman won’t… a fireman won’t… Those people – they aren’t creative.” He quoted. The memory of himself came back, flashes of fiction and fact. Kenny shut his eyes and breathed through his mouth slowly before looking over to Michael who had a puzzled look on his face.

“You didn’t remember?” Michael asked.

Kenny was about to answer, when something else came back to him. Something he would be better off not knowing. He knew it even then, when he was a child… the thing growing in him.

Horrified, Kenny scrambled off from his bed and looked at Michael with fearful eyes. “Michael… You need to… No… I need to get away from here. From you. From everyone.” He gasped, only to find his stepbrother holding him tightly on the shoulders a second later.

“You’re not going anywhere, Kenny. What’s going on? All this is real?”

“Yeah… and that main character in my story – it’s me. You were right all along. But it’s all true. From that story, everything happened. I remember now. Michael, something’s growing inside me. Those scientists were doing human transmutation. Creating artificial hybrids. My family suffered, and they never knew what they have done with me. Mad scientists wanting to achieve too much.”

“Calm down –”

“I can’t calm down! Michael, this was why I ran to the beach those years ago! I couldn’t let people near… There’s something growing inside me, and it’ll change me.”

“Kenny, listen. You’ve been with me for nine years. Nine years. If you say all that proves nothing, then I’ll whack you on the head.”

Kenny shook his head and sighed, quite frustrated. “Michael, for the last time, this isn’t like in the books. This is real. I might kill you now. I don’t know what this thing will do to me. Let me go, and I’ll disappear. I’ll destroy myself, I’ll run away – I’ll do anything, I just don’t want to hurt anyone, okay? Let me go, Michael.”

“No, I won’t. s**t, Kenny, no matter what you try and tell me, I took you in when you’re a boy, and I won’t let you walk out of me. There must be something else behind this. If we go to the police –”

“The police will want proof. And that means cutting me up, examining my body like those scientists again. I don’t want that. I’ll be better off dead. Don’t hold your breath, Michael, I want to die more than to know. I swear.” Kenny answered.

“How the hell will that save yourself?!”

A small laugh escaped his lips. “Believe me. To be free of the truth, that’s freedom enough. I’ll help myself more by ending it the easy way. Because I’m more scared of the truth than to die. It’ll be like embracing hell because I fear that the scientists might be in heaven.”

“You don’t know what you’re doing.”

“I do. You just want this to be a story.”

“No, Kenny. I want my son.” He said, not exactly hesitating. Despite the situation, Kenny smiled slightly. “Kenny, just come with me, and we’ll get out of here, and figure things out.”

“Go where? Michael, you don’t even know what’s going on!” Kenny snapped back.

Michael’s fingers moved down and curled around Kenny’s wrist and his brows furrowed, hiding his anger. His eyes flashed and Kenny suddenly felt surprised as well as intimidated. Like a prey running away from the predator. He focused on his stepbrother’s eyes and something hit him again, hopefully – this time – for the last.

“Michael… you work for them?”

The other’s eyes widened considerably, surprised, but also wary. “What are you talking about?”

Ripping his hand from Michael’s grasp, Kenny moved further away and backed to the window. Michael tilted his head slightly and fixed an intense gaze on Kenny, his face twisted in confusion, but Kenny didn’t care. He already figured it out.

Why would an adult like Michael take in a son at such a young age? Why would an adult like Michael be interested in him? Why? What were the odds? And why was he there anyway – it was midnight, and he was there with another friend. Another guy. It wasn’t normal. It was all planned from the very start.

“What do you want with me? Why?”

Michael’s eyes narrowed. It was now that Kenny could actually see how intense they were; how much they focused on him. “Kenny. Kenny Rise.” He said. Another emotion lurked in Michael's eyes, but Kenny couldn't figure it out. It was as if Michael was trying to figure something out, or trying to deny something - a state of confusion, but probably more than just confused. It looked like betrayal. Unreadable. “It wasn’t a direct order from the lab, but I decided to take action anyway. Kenny, you and your family were chosen for an experiment – an experiment that would have brought fame to us and to you. Are you going to throw that away?” He quizzed. Kenny cursed. “I thought it would be that. Kenny, you were the youngest from the lab, were you not? Your body… there’s something wrong with it, from the very start. My companions were trying to change a few things, true, but you are the only one who never showed any signs that you were affected by it. Your parents sacrificed themselves because it was part of the plan – though we did not expect one of your little friends to kill.”

“My parents would never work for you.”

“You’re certain about that?” Michael asked emotionlessly. “Your parents made the deal that if you could escape the lab life, they would do anything my companions asked them to do. They were willing to be experimented on, just so you could get out from the building. They wanted to get away from you – to separate you from them. My orders were to find you when you went missing, though they never asked me to care for you. I decided that for myself.”

“Why?”

“Why doesn’t matter, does it?” Michael’s eyes went cold. The look in his eyes were still there. “But something happened, and I want to know what. I want to know what killed my companions.”

“It’s got nothing to do with me.”

“You think?” Michael raised an eyebrow, his head still tilted slightly. Kenny saw the opportunity then.

He ran.

“Watch it, kid!” The bulky man growled.

“S-Sorry.” Kenny gasped. He pulled his hood lower to cover his face. The man had dark, intense eyes like Michael – Michael who was still searching for him after Kenny had shoved him away in order to escape. Kenny couldn’t crawl forever. He would need to show himself soon… or would he? He didn’t know. As he looked around, he received glares and angry looks from everyone. As if he had done some sort of crime, but had he? Where’s the difference? Were all these people associated to the scientists?

It couldn’t be.

It shouldn’t matter.

But it did. And that was the problem.

Kenny heard his name called out from behind him, quite a far distance away, but people started to mutter and look around. They’ve heard of Kenny Rise from the news, he would imagine. He cursed under his breath and took a sharp turn right, running down the dark alleyway. Unconsciously, his hand moved to his stomach, then to his chest. Something was in there. He had been scared of it before, and he knew he would always be from now. Something was there. And until anyone knew what it was, it would still be howling in him, waiting to get out.

Non-existent?

Alive?

Remote?

Animated?

Something was there, he was sure of it. Whether that something was nothing or not – that he couldn’t tell. And in the distance, Michael’s voice still called out to him. Kenny’s father had wanted to save him from being kept in lab life. And now, Michael, his stepbrother and stepfather, wanted to find him to know what happened to his own companions… enemy or friend, Kenny could not tell.

He could not tell.

Who could?

The soles of his shoes slapped against the ground, faster and faster. Kenny closed his eyes and hung his head for a second before turning again. His foot caught a small bump in the road and he tripped, landing hard on his knee.

Crawl… slowly, crawl away…

Behind him, shouts. Screams. The beautiful sound of chaos.

And Kenny welcomed chaos.

Kiss by an angel – an angel of life or death, I can’t tell. All I know is that I only want this to be over. I can feel it inside me, twisting and turning, but at the same time, nonexistent. I’m scared. I could scream… but I won’t. I just want to go… somewhere. Not home. No, I never want to go home. That was where I got attacked. Just… somewhere. I can see something coming here, but I don’t know what it is. And I can see a rock lying there – if I reach my hand out, I could get it. It looks sharp.

I bury my head into the sand and reach out, grabbing it with as much courage as I can before pulling it to myself.

…And that were the last two paragraphs of the book written by the suspected Kenny Rise, titled ‘A Predator's Fallacy’.
Just because I hide, that doesn't mean I'm not there...
All this time, I've been waiting...

Ha~! xD I managed to get it under the intended word count, thank heavens. @_@ I was just getting worried then. xD

Love your story by the way, Psychotic! It's scary. ;_;

For someone to come here...
And touch the other side of the mirror...

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Thanks Rino!
I'm going to read yours when I'm not dying at my keyboard. I think bed would be good, and I can hope that my cold clears up a bit before tomorrow :3

Or so they say.

You guys have both been added to the list.

Psychotic: Hope you feel better!

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Thank yoooou.
I hope so too x3

Night guys <3

Or so they say.

And she said that we've got that spark, that only lights a fuse,
Helps you see in the dark, but it's a sight you'll lose when...

Nighty night, Psycho.
Haha, that sounds so mean.

And, Rino, I want to read yours so I'll probably read it tomorrow. I have a bunch of things to do tonight before volleyball.

...the temptation greets you like your naughty friend.
Username: Fasie
Round: One
Prompt(s) used: Lyrics "The Bird and the Worm" by the Used
Title of Entry: A Soldier's Gift
Word count of entry:1,280
URL of post: [x]
A Soldier's Gift

Shoes. I have to get some shoes.”

This was the only thought that I could think. The only thing that kept my mind off the cold mud that was seeping through my clothes, the shells of enemy (and friendly) fire exploding in my ears.

I shifted in the dark. My helmet fell over my eyes and I moved it. (Though it didn’t make much difference. I couldn’t see –and didn’t want to- anyways.) I didn’t want to hear either, unless it was my commander telling me I could go home now. I want to go home…

You might be wondering why I’m so eager to get home. Well, I’ll tell you.

Besides the fact that I am vacationing –by force no less- in this lovely mud hole of Korea, I want to go home because I made a promise. I can’t just leave you with that, can I? Leave you wondering what promise was promised and to whom it was promised to?

I’ll tell you that, too.

I left my best buddy back at camp. His unit was staying there while mine was sent out here. (I’m making a general sweeping motion with my hand, but you can’t see it. I can’t see it.)

I promised him I would get him a pair of shoes for his birthday. His birthday is tomorrow. So you can see (though it is rather dark) why I want to get home soon. I have to get him a pair of shoes.

I have to get back to the war now.

As soon as I got out of my day dreams, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“We’re moving out! Get your s**t and move.”

I was happy. Well, as happy as I could be sitting in a mud hole against my will. I got my stuff together and sat up.

“Hey, where-”

My words faded into the dark as I realized no one was there. Everyone was gone.

I started to panic; what was I supposed to do? Sit in the dark and damp with shells exploding around me and think calmly?

It’s easier said than done.

I grabbed my rifle and ran. I didn’t know where I was running. I ran through the night, in circles, no doubt, but somehow I managed to escape death, injury, and capture.

By the time morning started to make its appearance, I had slowed to a walk and found myself looking out onto the battle field of the night before.

Bodies were all over, bloodied, mangled, and disfigured bodies; some enemy, some friends. But not my buddy. He was back at camp, waiting for his shoes.

I stood there for a moment, smiling like an idiot at the thought of my buddy and me back at camp. If I went back without his shoes I promised him, he would punch me on the shoulder in a friendly, joking matter, and would tease me about the army not paying me enough to afford a whore and a pair of shoes.

Then I imagined what he’d do if I brought him a pair of shoes. He’d be so happy, and he’s comment on how only a true friend would give up a Saturday night with a prostitute to buy a pair of shoes.

And so, my decision was made. I’d steal a pair of shoes from one of the bodies lying in front of me. I didn’t want to steal them, but I had to. I had to get my buddy a pair of shoes.

Taking a step forward, and then another, I looked at the feet of the bodies. I didn’t dare look at their faces. Nor did I pay any attention to their uniforms, because I did not want to know which side I was stealing from. (Though it wouldn’t have mattered whether or not I noticed them, because most of the uniforms were covered in blood and filth.)

I made my way around the field, looking for a pair of shoes that were around the size of my buddy's, which happend to be much smaller than the average shoe size. I spotted a pair and knelt down to untie them. I couldn’t get my hands work at the knot in the shoelaces. I tried again and still couldn’t get them untied. With tears in my eyes from the thought of going back without the shoes, I gave up and reached for my knife.

(As I look back on this day, I laugh at what you thought I was going to do. Cut the laces? Never. That would ruin the shoes.)

My mind, no matter how far gone at this time it was, was made up. I didn’t know what I was doing, really; I was just getting my buddy his shoes. He would be so happy…

My hands were bloody and shaking, my knife was discarded (I didn’t want a reminder of what I did), and my heart racing.

I fished out the map in my pocket and studied it. Camp wasn’t too far. I picked up the shoes (the feet, too, of course) and headed back to the camp.

It wasn’t long before I stumbled into camp, a bloody pair of shoes (and feet) in my arms, the words to “Happy Birthday” on my lips. I was almost done with the first line of the song when someone came over to me and grabbed my shoulders, shaking me.

“Where are they?”

“Who?” I wanted to smack the man for not letting my finish the song I was singing for my buddy.

“They, us, the rest of your unit. They were due back hours ago. We sent some of the other unit out after them last night, and more this morning to help with the bodies. They left just before you got here,” he said. He continued on (though I did not listen. I was humming “Happy Birthday” in my head.), about how they got a call from us last night saying that we needed back up.

I shrugged, once again happier than I should have been. The thought that my buddy was one of the men sent out last night or this morning did not cross my mind.

So instead of telling the man about last night and how, before I knew it, everyone was gone (later I learned that they had all been shot when they ran. Lucky for me I was slow getting up, right?), instead of telling him how I panicked and ran; instead of telling him how I had gone in circles and in the morning came back to where I was; instead of telling him about the bloody, mangled bodies I saw, and how I came to be holding these shoes (and feet) in my arms (which he did not ask about, nor did he notice); instead, I simply smiled at him and continued on with “Happy Birthday” for my buddy.

As soon as I opened my mouth to call for my buddy, the other unit came back. I stood and watched as the bodies were lined up, their dog tags placed on their chests for easy reading. The names of the dead were called out. My buddy had not bee called yet, so the thought that he had not been sent out was assured, and I waited for them to get done.

They called out the last name and I looked over at the bodies. The last in the row was a rather disfigured body with no feet. I looked at my feet. No, not mine, but the ones in my arms. I looked back at the body. And then, I realized something.

The man who I stole the shoes from was the man that I was going to give them to.

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
"Come and trim my chirstmas tree,
With some decorations bought at Tiffany's..."

Hehe. Kitty got a Christmas-fever-avatar.... :3

"...I really do believe in you,
Let's see if you believe in me."
Just because I hide, that doesn't mean I'm not there...
All this time, I've been waiting...

My thanks, Psychotic. xD You too, Itazu. <3 and [ .days. ] for accepting my entry. <3

For someone to come here...
And touch the other side of the mirror...

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
"Come and trim my chirstmas tree,
With some decorations bought at Tiffany's..."

See, I read yours and now I'm really paranoid xd
It's really very good :3

"...I really do believe in you,
Let's see if you believe in me."

Quick Reply