Welcome to Gaia! ::

...?

...! 1 100.0% [ 58 ]
Total Votes:[ 58 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 38 39 40 > >>

User Image

WINNERS ANNOUNCED!
Page 40.

Okay, I've lost track of the contest number this is...But it definitely isn't my first.

Welcome to my newest contest. I don't think I've seen this one done before, but I could be wrong. So, on to the real introduction.

Introduction
We've all written before, or I should hope. We've all had those certain scenes that we find absolutely amazing--the best thing we've ever written. And then on the contrary, there are those scenes that we look at and go, "WTF? That's impossible!" or "WTF? Where did that come from?" And who can forget the ones that are so depressing or emo that we sit there with big grins on our faces as we write them; you always imagine the reader sitting at their computer or in their bathtub or wherever they are, laughing at how utterly low your character has dropped for no obviously apparent reason.

This is your chance to poke fun at yourself. Take that depressing scene and parody it. Give a reason for the randomly flying kumquat. Unleash everything that you had pent up while you wrote that ridiculously inane scene between your lead's foot and a brick wall. Share your doubts about your own fictional beings with the rest of us--tell us what really went on behind the computer screen.

I urge you: Let it whip.

The title comes from the song "Let It Whip" by SR-71 (I believe it is a remake, but I am not sure who the original is by). I figured, the song's title is a distant parody in itself, so voila, it's the title. Link. It's actually a good song. Sort of kinky, actually. XD

Basics:
  • This is for short stories only. No poetry, please.
  • You must use your own story--No using someone else's.
  • No fanfiction. This goes along with the bullet above
  • *NEW* The deadline for entries is September 30th at 11:59pmEST.
  • This is the same layout as my previous contest. Don't get on my about copying from someone else's contest with the same layout--they got theirs from me in the first place.
  • Each contestant will receive a package of items just for entering. The details of these packages are still being worked out.

Table of Contents
Introduction and Basics - Guidelines - Prizes - Entrants - Judging - FAQs - Reserved - Reserved
Guidelines
We all need them, so let me make this brief.
  1. No plagiarizing! This was mentioned in the Basics section above, but I figured I'd mention it again.
  2. No fanfiction! This was also mentioned in the Basics section.
  3. Be nice to other contestants. Remember the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have done unto you.
  4. You may bribe me if you wish. Just know that your bribe will be added to the pot with nothing gained on your part.
  5. Do not PM me unless I disappear for a few days without warning or if it is urgent. Questions should be posted here. I am not The Flash--I canot instantly zip here to see a new post. I do check the thread often and I will continue to check it often, so there is practically no need to PM me.
  6. Do not ask to join. Just do it. I have no restrictions on who can join and who can't, and there is no contestant limit. So as long as this contest is open, anyone can join, no matter what age, race, gender, orientation, hair color, whatever.
  7. Do not advertise in my contest and leave. If you are a regular here and feel like saying, "Come take a look at this," fine. But if you come on randomly and post "COME HERE!" or "CLICKY!" or something else like that with a link, you will be asked to remove your post. If you don't listen, you will be PMed. If that doesn't work, I'll have a mod come in and delete the post.
  8. The following faces peeve me: gonk | crying | cry | evil | cheese_whine . Do not use them except in sarcasm. Don't start posting them just to tick me off, because I will get ticked off very easily. Don't post big long strings of them because "u dont no if ur entry is gud enuf fer this contst cry cry cry ". Don't do it.
  9. *NEW* I will be reading the entries as they come in. This way, it will not take as long to judge this contest. There is twice as much stuff to read in this contest, plus it is summer, so I've decided to do this instead of waiting until the end.
  10. One entry per person, unless you'd like to pay a 250g entry fee for each additional entry you submit. Otherwise, this contest is free.
  11. This isn't a rule as much as a suggestion. I don't like multiple punctuation or all capital letters. If you use either of these, you risk lowering your chances of winning. Sorry, but I can't help it.
  12. Do not quote anything from these first few posts.
  13. I reserve the right to add more guidelines.
Entry Rules
Listen [read] carefully here.

Option One
  • You may parody one scene from a story, one chapter, or an entire story. Whatever you wish.
  • When you post, use the following form (yes, I realize it's long, but this is a compound contest):
    [b]Username:[/b]

[b]Title of [i]original[/i] piece:[/b]
    [b]Word count of [i]original[/i] piece:[/b]
    [b]Rating of [i]original[/i] piece:[/b]
    [b]Link to [i]original[/i] piece:[/b]
    [b]Summary of [i]original[/i] piece (if necessary):[/b]

[b]Title of [i]parody[/i]:[/b]
    [b]Word count of [i]parody[/i]:[/b]
    [b]Rating of [i]parody[/i]:[/b]
    [b]Parody:[/b]

• FOR THE ORIGINAL PIECE:
    • This may be as long as you wish.
    • If the piece is over 10,000 words, you must provide a summary of everything after the 10k word mark. This summary need not be in-depth--just enough so I know what you're parodying in its entirety.
    • If you are parodying from a longer piece, please say so. Tell me where or link me to the exact chapter(s) of the story that you are parodying.
    • If at all possible, try not to go over 10,000 words with the scene(s) you are parodying.

• FOR THE PARODY:
    • If the piece is over 10,000 words, you must provide a summary of everything after the 10k word mark. This summary need not be in-depth--just enough so I know what you parodied in its entirety. Try to make this summary as parallel to the one from the original piece as possible.
    • If at all possible, try not to go over 10,000 words with your parody.
Option Two
  • You may take one or more of your existing characters and place them in a humorous situation or mini-adventure that may or may not relate to the original story. I do not want new characters coming into existance with this option--just characters you already have.
  • When you post, use the following form (yes, I realize it's long, but this is a compound contest). Please try to select an original piece that shows me how the characters act, talk, dress, etc. Anything I need to know to say, "Hey, that's Bob," when I read him in your entry.
    [b]Username:[/b]

[b]Title of [i]original[/i] piece:[/b]
    [b]Word count of [i]original[/i] piece:[/b]
    [b]Rating of [i]original[/i] piece:[/b]
    [b]Link to [i]original[/i] piece:[/b]
    [b]Link to character demonstrations:[/b]

[b]Title of [i]parody[/i]:[/b]
    [b]Word count of [i]parody[/i]:[/b]
    [b]Rating of [i]parody[/i]:[/b]
    [b]Character(s) used in parody:[/b]
    [b]Parody:[/b]

• FOR THE ORIGINAL PIECE:
    • This may be as long as you wish.
    • You must provide pieces of the original story (preferably links and preferably short parts) that demonstrate the character in a round way as much as is possible.
    • If at all possible, try not to go over 2,000 words with these little character demonstrations.

• FOR THE SITUATION:
    • Do not go over 10,000 words with the scene or mini-adventure.
I realize this may be highly confusing to some, so if you have a question, ask it. You're probably not the only one who is wondering.

Table of Contents
Introduction and Basics - Guidelines - Prizes - Entrants - Judging - FAQs - Reserved - Reserved
Prizes
The part you've all been waiting for.

Entry fee: Nothing. Yep, 'tis free. Enjoy it.

1st place - 75,000g
2nd place - 50,000g
3rd place - 30,000g
Honorable mentions (x3) - January 2007 letter or equivalent in gold

Total: 155,000g, three January 2007 letters (o equivalent in gold)

Thank Mahayr for the grant she gave me!

Any donations to this contest will be evenly distributed among the prizes. SEND ALL DONATIONS HERE. Otherwise, they will be canceled.

Those who have entered my past contests know I have a bit of a problem with judging quickly. So, for every week after seven days have passed since this contest closes, I will add 1,000g to each prize. That means I have a week to judge in, and everything after that gets another 1k added to each prize.

Table of Contents
Entrants
Format: Username | Original piece | Parody piece | Judged?
  1. Ame`Kaminari | Alcohol Poisoning | Macabre | YES
  2. Imoto Lehcar | appletrees | Speed | NO
  3. seraphimstarlight | The Book of Selkys: Legacy of the Golden Empress: A Soul Ablaze | A Stomach Ablaze | NO
  4. Kris_the_Wolfen | Memories of Who? | Confusion From The Assignment | NO
  5. Symphonica | A Name to be Proud of | No Goodbyes | NO
  6. Neko_Hito | Ham and Cheese | Black and White
  7. Kurisuti | Wishes | Wishes Gone Wild | NO

More will be added as people join.

Donators
  • tubuka chinchilla - 10,000g heart heart heart
  • the hidden ghost - 3,300g heart heart heart

Table of Contents
Judging
I have my own scale for judging, and it goes as follows.
  • Quality of Parody or Situation - 25 points - How well did you parody your story? How well did your characters work within your situation or miniature adventure? How funny was it? This category is basically the whole idea of this contest, so impress me here. Make me laugh until I cry, and you get full points. But don't make it so inane and out-there that it makes me loose interest.
  • Adherence to the Rules - 10 points - Did you fill out the form correctly? Did you fill in all the fields on the form? All or nothing.
  • Grammar and Mechanics - 20 points total
    • Punctuation - 5 points - How good was your punctuation? 5 points was perfect punctuation.
    • Capitalization - 5 points - I have noticed that a lot of people in the Writer's Forums have problems with capitalization, especially after dialog. 5 points was perfect capitalization.
    • Grammar - 5 points - How good was your grammar? 5 points was flawless.
    • Spelling - 5 points - How good was your spelling? Microsoft Word has spell check for a reason, and even if you don't have a spell checker, you should at least have looked over your entry. 5 points was perfect.
  • Plot - 10 points - The plot is what the story builds on. If your story lacked a plot, it lacked an interest factor.
  • Interest - 10 points - This is simply a scale of how interested in your story that you had me. Was it interesting, is basically what this is.
  • Total - 75 points
I will be the only judge. In the event of a tie, I will have my sister help me. She is fourteen and funnier than I am (which isn't saying much).

Table of Contents
FAQs
If you have a question, ask it. As I said before, chances are you won't be the only one wondering.

Table of Contents
User Image

Table of Contents
User Image

Table of Contents
I need your love to get up from my knees;
I can't seem to see the forest for the trees.

Open!

As I wait in my silent misery,
All I'm asking is please, forgive me?
First! heart

Hehe I love the idea, so much fun to laugh at our own work.

Hehe.
^_^

Did you notice my little addition to the judging process? It's in the prizes post.

I'll set the deadline for June 30th. Eleven days after my Sweet Sixteen. ^_^

[ .days. ]

I'll set the deadline for June 30th. Eleven days after my Sweet Sixteen. ^_^

Hehe, going to have a party?
...... [.days.], I must admit, I really dislike you. And it is on a personal level. But you have a genuinely good idea here, and I feel I need to support it. Here, have a donation. Now I'm outta here.

May I ask what I did to make you dislike me?

Thanks, too, for the donation.
^_^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items